buzz aldrin

indio

im not really a space fan however i think anyone who charges 90 pounds per autograph has one hell of a nerve and is just plain greed. i dont know who he thinks he is.

889989[/snapback]

I think he thinks he's the second man to walk on the moon (and funnily enough he is right!)

For some people, myself included, Buzz and his fellow Apollo 11 Crew Members were childhood heroes.

Only 12 men have ever set foot on the surface of the moon............they all knew that if one thing went wrong it could mean a one way trip and a certain slow death.

Could you be that brave.................would you be willing to pay money for the autograph of an actor who plays a brave/daring character on screen but not to a real person who has done these deeds?

If you don't want to buy it, its quite simple...................don't!

Others do and thats fine............I did and I'm very happy I got to meet the man.

After all, the guy has to earn a living!

Edited by johnhuk

To be honest when I first found out what he was charging I was thinking exactly the same thing but after reading the above post it's made me realise that £90 is NOTHING compared to someone risking their life just for the evolution of Earth's technology and exploring space for our benefit....did that make sense? :blush: LOL!

Who he is is a highly intelligent, brave explorer who has done far far more than I could dream of doing in several lifetimes. He is still one of the very few remaining men who have walked on another world. In short he is an idol

90 GBP was nothing - it cost far more to rearrange plans, jettison some theatre tickets, travel down and get the gold pass. It was still the best money I have spent this year and would repeat it without hesitation to meet this hero again.

I went to Autographica and DIDN'T pay £90 for his autograph. I met Buzz at the evening drinks receiption and am very pleased I did. He is a great bloke and as already mentioned, an IDOL. I don't think £90 is too much to pay for his signature, but I couldn't afford to get it. There are not very many oppurtunities in life to meet such an icon.

If you think £90 is too much, fine, don't pay it. If you can afford it and want it, great.

When I am old and grey I will remember meeting him. It was an experience I am glad I had the chance to have.

£90 is a lot of money, but Buzz will always be an historic figure. He accomplished something only a handful of people have managed and he was amongst the first.

For those who did spend the money.....well spent!!!

I took my father out to a rather posh restaurant last month, it cost £85 for the meal.

As nice as the meal was, what do I have to show for it a few weeks later? Something to treasure? Something to pass down to my children and their children? No.

So.... paying £90 for Buzz's autograph was nothing in my eye. I will remember my encounter for the rest of my life, and my children and grandchildren will inherit a piece of history!

I took my father out to a rather posh restaurant last month, it cost £85 for the meal.

As nice as the meal was, what do I have to show for it a few weeks later?  Something to treasure?  Something to pass down to my children and their children?  No.

So.... paying £90 for Buzz's autograph was nothing in my eye.  I will remember my encounter for the rest of my life, and my children and grandchildren will inherit a piece of history!

890048[/snapback]

HEAR HEAR

As nice as the meal was, what do I have to show for it a few weeks later?  Something to treasure?  Something to pass down to my children and their children?  No.

So.... paying £90 for Buzz's autograph was nothing in my eye.  I will remember my encounter for the rest of my life, and my children and grandchildren will inherit a piece of history!

890048[/snapback]

WELL SAID! *Thumbs up to ya!* :D

people risk there lives in all sorts of professions mabee they should get paid 90 pounds for signing there name.

890054[/snapback]

Name one job where your vehicle is a large rocket with very explosive fuel. It takes for days to arrive at your location, you have to wear a bulky suit all the time. You know that one minor accident or one malfunction with your vehicle could mean you are stranded 250,000 miles from home without the possibility of rescue and knowing that once your oxygen supply has gone you are going to suffocate, or that one tear in your suit will expose you to the vaccum of space which means you will explode due to pressure.................

I know that other people do brave things, firemen and such, but it is such a common thing for firemen/police etc. to help people, save lives etc. At least if something goes wrong here on earth there is a chance of survival/help from medics etc. The Apollo crews (and shutte crews since then) don't have that chance. What Buzz and Co did was not a natural thing. They helped further our understanding of space.

Now we should help them out.

Maybe you don't know this but the Apollo Astronauts did not gain anything financially from going to the moon........no bonus or million dollar pay-off. I'm sure you assumed otherwise. All the men received was there normal military pay with a "top-up" or displacement allowance like every other soldier/airman gets when serving away from home.........most of these guys had left the military at the time anyway to join NASA.

Now they only have there military pension and whatever funds they have saved over the years.......why shouldn't he cash in on what he did to help himself...the military/government aren't gonna cough-up!

If you are not interested why bother making such a childish comment!

If £90 may seem a little steep if your not a space fan then it should be seen as more of an investment if you are not into space Collectables.

That is why he was charging £300 extra if Neil Armstrong had already signed it and £400 extra if Neil Armstrong and Michael Collins had already both signed it.

As soon as he put his pen to that photo its value would already have gone above the pruchase price.

I, personally was all to glad to pay for not just Mr Aldrin's auto but all of the astronauts and cosmonauts and I regularly spend several hundred dollars at KSC while of holiday in Florida because that is my hobby.

What it boils down to is if you aren't prepared to pay for it you don't have to buy it!

:D

Going back on what someone said about haw brave, you may not be aware that the apollo 11 crew were told to abort whilst they were still on the launch pad, due to a systems failure. All the warning lights lit themselves up and gradually others joined in. The crew sat on the launch pad for 17 seconds saying that it was them or them wouldnt be the 1st to the moon. They were so desperate to make this leap for mankind that they were willing to give their lives whilst still on earth. This shows emense courage towards what they are doing, and it was lucky for them that the computer sorted itself out. (Its the only time that sort of computer failure has ever happened on a manned space flight).

A

I think putting it into context if people are willing to pay £15 for someone in a costume who stood in the background in SW then £90 for a significant historical figure is really not as bad as it sounds.

As for other people who put their lives on the line every day, if the likes of David Stirling, Douglas Bader, Monty or Roger Bushell were still alive I would willingly pay it.

£90 is a lot of money...although for buzz's autograph it was a bargin

Guess we have to remember that loads of different people post on here....from those with jobs who earn 40-50k a year to those who live off the pocket money their parents give them......

Also agree with count fooku re what people pay for actor's autographs who stood still for a few days in a mask vs a man who is in the history books and was one of the first to do something few have

People were moaning about the cost of buzz before the event and some afterwards.

They moaned WHO would pay £90 for him, by the end of the weekend it was a case of WHO DIDN'T pay the £90 !!.

If Indio wants to turn a blind eye to a piece of history that will live throughout the years let him/her..they seem more content to pay £15 for the 6th Stormtooper, 3rd row in the background Mr Nobody who wont amount to anything else in his life. THEIR LOSS !

I went to Autographica and DIDN'T pay £90 for his autograph. I met Buzz at the evening drinks receiption and am very pleased I did. He is a great bloke and as already mentioned, an IDOL. I don't think £90 is too much to pay for his signature, but I couldn't afford to get it. There are not very many oppurtunities in life to meet such an icon.

If you think £90 is too much, fine, don't pay it. If you can afford it and want it, great.

When I am old and grey I will remember meeting him. It was an experience I am glad I had the chance to have.

£90 is a lot of money, but Buzz will always be an historic figure. He accomplished something only a handful of people have managed and he was amongst the first.

For those who did spend the money.....well spent!!!

Very Well Said. He was a great guy to meet and £90 is definatly worth it.

People were moaning about the cost of buzz before the event and some afterwards.

They moaned WHO would pay £90 for him, by the end of the weekend it was a case of WHO DIDN'T pay the £90 !!.

If Indio wants to turn a blind eye to a piece of history that will live throughout the years let him/her..they seem more content to pay £15 for the 6th Stormtooper, 3rd row in the background Mr Nobody who wont amount to anything else in his life. THEIR LOSS !

Indio obviously didn't want his autograph maybe because he/she couldnt afford it or maybe because he/she thought why would anyone pay £90 for a scribble. I paid my money for it because hes risked he life to help us on earth. Find technology that nobody would

I didnt pay £90 I paid £100.

Had my own photo printed, massive one with him standing next to flag......he signed in wonderful gold pen against the black backdrop, Buzz Aldrin Apollo 11, which is now worth up to $699 as seen for sale elsewhere (ive seen exactly the same picture for sale)

the 10x8 photos are worth around $350 which is still considerably more than £90.And of course like all important historic figures, the value will rise with time.

And also because he charges this amount and does not attend regular events, his signature is valued. The price putting people off only makes it more valuable to people who do get it as it becomes rarer than say William Shatner who is an actor who attends many signing events and rattles off his signature willy nilly.

£90 is a lot if you havnt got £90 to spend, but for those who did do it, its worth more now than you paid, and in the future will be worth more and more and more and more............. its not rocket science, well errr......ok it is.

If you wanted just a Buzz Aldrin signature he was signing a 8 x 6 Collectspace montage for £55 , that was for both the picture and the signature.

So you didn't have to pay £90.

However, for the various reasons people have given in this thread and others that I myself and others have given in other threads , £90 or £100 or whatever it was would be worth it, because it was worth it to us and we were prepared to pay it.

If you wanted just a Buzz Aldrin signature he was signing a 8 x 6 Collectspace montage for £55 , that was for both the picture and the signature.

So you didn't have to pay £90.

However, for the various reasons people have given in this thread and others that I myself and others have given in other threads , £90 or £100 or whatever it was would be worth it, because it was worth it to us and we were prepared to pay it.

890799[/snapback]

AMEN. I'll not forget that I met one of three men who landed first on the moon. Memories were created and the signature I obtained also happens to be worth more than I paid anyway. How was that ever a lose situation. Fantastic.......!!!!!!

At drinks party I also got a good few pictures of me taken with him and Ursula, cant wait for the photo cd from the event.