SciFiMAD

159 members have voted

1. 1. Collectormania Venue Change

• MK
    • Earls Court
    • Wembley
    • NEC
    • Other

If Collectormania was moved from MK: the centre, people would complain about the lack of places to eat during the day, which seems to be a constant niggling point.

I really say keep it where it is...I'm fine travelling from Liverpool and back again, and it's a nice cool atmosphere whatever the weather...and as it was my first ever con, I have too many good memories in the place :o

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying keep it in MK. C6 was my first and I wouldn't have gone if I had to pay as that would seem to be too 'geeky' and if I didn't like it I could always go shopping instead. Thats the appeal of it. It's an easy way to get more people interested in attending such events as I've been to C7 and LFaCC3 since. Part of the excitement is the shoppers who act like sheep and the hustle and bustle of everything.

Personal opinion warning, Earls Court is harder to get to from the North and it was kind of nice turning up at the hotel and being asked if we were down for Collectormania in MK.

Earls Court because it is much closer. All i need to do is get a coach, the coach drops me outside and then get the underground back to Victoria.

Also it is a bigger place for more guests and no shoppers which is great.

I feel that Collectormania is getting bigger and the venue smaller with no more space. It would be cool if Showmasters change the location to EC.

:unsure:

MK is central-ish, why should London get everything,if I was to be selfish Id say the NEC as Im 20 minutes from there.

Keep MK ,its free its easy to get to.

If it has to change bring it further central than go south, collectors dont just live in the south

obiton

I voted MK for lots of reasons - it's free, it's a straight-forward journey up the motorway (or down, whatever) and CM belongs there now.

Most importantly though, when I came to C7 I brought tons of food with me cos I have various allergies and stuff and wasn't sure if I'd be able to find anything I could eat. Since CM was in the shopping centre, I found that there was a lot of choice, even for someone as fussy as me! If CM was at an exhibition hall, like the NEC, the likelihood is that there would only be one cafe/restaurant and I'd have to cart all my food around again.

I know now that I won't have to do that at C8, which is a great relief - so I say keep it in MK!!!

I voted MK. I agree with most of the above posts for keeping CM in MK,

1. I live in MK and work in the centre:mk! (a bit biased i know) :angry:

2. Plenty of places to eat at decent prices without paying £4 for a sandwich.

3. Loads of things to do while waiting for your VQ number to be called.

4. A fantastic atmosphere with people bustling about all over the place.

5. Heaps of natural light for photos.

6. Free entry

7. Loads of parking and easy to get to(if you understand the grid roads)

Thats all I can think of right now, There are a few down sides such as random shoppers and the green house type building, but i'd rather that than, pants lighting and dark photos!

Edited by tiggerbabe

I voted for the Nec but only as its closer to me. But I do agree with most points against the NEC, over priced parking, food and drinks.

The main thing going for MK is the shops as when I attend my wife comes with me and she has no real interest in autographs so she goes off shoppping for a few hours. BUt its to small for the great guests they get.

It would be great if SM started up another event up north or a bit more in the middle. London is not really an option for me so MK is my limit, and the other event is not up to much these days I'm sure SM could give them a run for their money.

Fon

I voted for Earls Court

In my opinion, LFACC3 showed the way these cons' need to be held - in a place where you can actually SEE the stalls, and line up for guests without being trampled underfoot by the locals out on thier Saturday shopping expidition while they try and gawp at the guests

The MK Shopping Centre is becoming too small for an event that is growing in strength each time, and I feel that a larger venue is needed

Is there another venue within MK that could be considered (other than the shopping centre)? - the area itself is good and is central(ish) for most people

Tell me that it didnt feel good to be able to walk around and have a little bit of personal space at Earls Court - sometimes trying to look at the stalls at Collectormania is like being in the mosh pit of a Slipknot concert!

i like collectormania where it is, granted its the only con I've ever been to but i like it. iys free, there are the shops and everything.

I would not move it, i would, however, like to see a con up north, in yorkshire. there are plenty of places you could have one.

As much as I'd like to see Collectormania at the NEC simply because it would be a trip up the road for me I'm glad it's in MK and that's why I voted for MK. I like being able to get away for the day (haven't stayed for the weekend yet but intend to do so at C8). I also like being able to go shopping and go anywhere you want to eat without being forced to pay over the odds like you do at the other venues where other events are held.

I hate hate hate MK n i won't go to another CM unless there is a guest i'll die if i don't meet!

Its horrible to get there- can't find my way around, drive in about 100 circles

Horrible Parking

I was so claustrophobic in the last 1- the amount of fat sweaty men i had pushing infront of me made me wana run away n puke!

It was just so cramped n its the only con i've ever been desperate 2 go home n just wanted 2 cry.

Its horrible there. Earls court i could breathe!!

I voted MK! Sure London is closer to where i live and it only takes one train where as MK i have to get two trains but i love the fact that if you are waiting to get an autograph there are other things to keep you occupied! If you get bored of walking around the stalls you can just go shopping or go to the xcape (?) centre and watch people fall over on the ski slope B)

I still reckon a summercon at the BIC in Bournemouth is the way forward imagine a great big hall like NEC, then there are some of the best pubs and clubs on the south coast and 200 meters from the BIC is the beach.

Get some autos then go and chill and get a tan. Its better than having to walk round the center or sit in Mcdonalds