The end of LFACC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[

A global downturn in interest of the staple diet of these events ie sci-fi.

Yep - how many sci-fi shows are on now? Seriously? SG-1 is coming to an end (c'mon, how much longer can it go on? I love it, but it's on the 9th season), no more Star Trek or Buffy anymore either. Very few new shows are coming on, because the interest is not there like it was 10 years ago (or even 5).

I don't think the interest is any less out there, I just think the TV companies are happy to make a quick buck filling our TV with rubbish reality shows with Z rated celebrities , rather than pay for some well written and inventive new shows.

You only have to look at the success of the new Dr Who series to see that there is still a big audience out there for this type of genre show.

Plus the interest still seems to be there for this type of film, Revenge of the Sith, Fantastic Four etc

Sadly, many of the execs that make the decisions just see their eyes roll with dollar signs when they realise they can make a killing on a reality show, because they need no writers, no effects, a low production budget etc

But, what comes around, goes around and I am sure they will have sat up and noticed the success of Dr Who even on the other side of the channel.

[

A global downturn in interest of the staple diet of these events ie sci-fi.

Yep - how many sci-fi shows are on now? Seriously? SG-1 is coming to an end (c'mon, how much longer can it go on? I love it, but it's on the 9th season), no more Star Trek or Buffy anymore either. Very few new shows are coming on, because the interest is not there like it was 10 years ago (or even 5).

I don't think the interest is any less out there, I just think the TV companies are happy to make a quick buck filling our TV with rubbish reality shows with Z rated celebrities , rather than pay for some well written and inventive new shows.

You only have to look at the success of the new Dr Who series to see that there is still a big audience out there for this type of genre show.

Plus the interest still seems to be there for this type of film, Revenge of the Sith, Fantastic Four etc

Sadly, many of the execs that make the decisions just see their eyes roll with dollar signs when they realise they can make a killing on a reality show, because they need no writers, no effects, a low production budget etc

But, what comes around, goes around and I am sure they will have sat up and noticed the success of Dr Who even on the other side of the channel.

Hell yeah Star Wars, Sin City, Fantastic Four, War of the Worlds, Ghost Rider, Spiderman 3

The box office records are all held by this genre by far.

Its something that will just keep growing. Blake 7 and stuff like that will die off because its fan base is getting smaller but all the others new people are joining everyday. Do this sort of thing the right way and it will be like having a cash printing machine in your office.

After all, check out the announcements so far. There's what, a month to go? It's not looking good. Never mind the fact that the babe-licious Terry Farrell has cancelled (my main reason for going), but it's looking like the guest list is going to be anaemic at best. Trouble is, without good guests, no-one will go, hence dealers won't book for the next one, etc.

I honestly think the only way they can come back from this debacle-in-the-making is to book the following guests QUICKLY : -

Jeri Ryan

Amanda Tapping

Marina Sirtis

Terry Farrell

Gates McFadden

Levar Burton

Without these, we're going to be walking around looking like all the cousins have just turned up for a 2 week stay. I tell you guys, this is a disaster in the making - I just hope Showmasters can turn this ship around, because at the moment it's heading straight for the rocks :P

i couldn't BEAR :D that !

After all, check out the announcements so far. There's what, a month to go? It's not looking good. Never mind the fact that the babe-licious Terry Farrell has cancelled (my main reason for going), but it's looking like the guest list is going to be anaemic at best. Trouble is, without good guests, no-one will go, hence dealers won't book for the next one, etc.

I honestly think the only way they can come back from this debacle-in-the-making is to book the following guests QUICKLY : -

Jeri Ryan

Amanda Tapping

Marina Sirtis

Terry Farrell

Gates McFadden

Levar Burton

Without these, we're going to be walking around looking like all the cousins have just turned up for a 2 week stay. I tell you guys, this is a disaster in the making - I just hope Showmasters can turn this ship around, because at the moment it's heading straight for the rocks :P

Have you actually looked at the guest list?

Ron Perlman - Hellboy

Charisma Carpenter - Buffy/Angel

Lou Ferrigno - The Hulk

Sarah Clarke & Xander Berkley - 24

Val Kilmer - Batman, Willow

If they aren't big name guests then I'm the leader of the Tory Party :D

Jeri Ryan

Amanda Tapping

Terry Farrell

Marina Sirtis

Gates McFadden

Levar Burton

firslty the bottom 3 have all been to SM events RECENTLY before ;)

secondly Terry has cancelled, as already posted by some one else :D

thirdly Amanda Tapping, don't the SG fans wish! but she has recently had a child and when she does come back on the circuit, she owes an appearence at her own con first, that has been postponed twice due to her comittments :P

forthly, again, Jeri Ryan! sure ALOT people would LOVE to meet her, but lets face it, unfortunately she doesn't do conventions/shows very often :D

sarah oneill

Jeri Ryan

Amanda Tapping

Terry Farrell

Marina Sirtis

Gates McFadden

Levar Burton

firslty the bottom 3 have all been to SM events RECENTLY before :P

secondly Terry has cancelled, as already posted by some one else :P

thirdly Amanda Tapping, don't the SG fans wish! but she has recently had a child and when she does come back on the circuit, she owes an appearence at her own con first, that has been postponed twice due to her comittments :wub:

forthly, again, Jeri Ryan! sure ALOT people would LOVE to meet her, but lets face it, unfortunately she doesn't do conventions/shows very often :wub:

sarah oneill

Aw - Levar Burton and Gates McFadden have already been eh? Grrr..... oh well. They'll come again.

Theres a lot of insults been thrown around this thread...not really nice.

Theres PLENTY of time for some good guests to be announced. does anyone have patience anymore ???

Not sure if I can attend this london as will have only been back in the UK a few hours on the 25th. But none the less I'll prob still make the effort and drive down from the airport..and STILL work the second day if nothing else

Theres PLENTY of time for some good guests to be announced. does anyone have patience anymore ???

Not sure if I can attend this london as will have only been back in the UK a few hours on the 25th. But none the less I'll prob still make the effort and drive down from the airport..and STILL work the second day if nothing else

I didn't know you could drive? :gorgeous::yoda:

Not sure if I can attend this london as will have only been back in the UK a few hours on the 25th.  But none the less I'll prob still make the effort and drive down from the airport..and STILL work the second day if nothing else

I didn't know you could drive? :gorgeous::yoda:

sarcasm gets you no where christopher :D

My computer screws up for one night and every one has gone funny

I know its close but you know they wont let us down, i mean for us it's a few days of WOW!!

but the SM guys its kinda their job, they know what they are doing, if they wait they could get the huge guests instead of just semi - pleasing with reasonable guests

plus i think this week is the week anyway

KEEP THE FAITH

JA

Good grief!!

I can't believe what short memories people have!!

As I recall, I lot of the big guests for the last London show, were only announced less that 3 weeks before the event!!

I'm pretty sure Burt Reynolds, Simon Pegg etc were announced arounf the 20-25 October!!!

Just be sodding patient... and if it gets to a week before the event and there's no guests you like... don't ****ing go! :huh:

Good grief!!

I can't believe what short memories people have!!

As I recall, I lot of the big guests for the last London show, were only announced less that 3 weeks before the event!!

I'm pretty sure Burt Reynolds, Simon Pegg etc were announced arounf the 20-25 October!!!

Just be sodding patient... and if it gets to a week before the event and there's no guests you like... don't ****ing go! :huh:

:D:huh::rolleyes:

You spend an hour on a bus, and you're there !

You can go at the last minute with little notice or planning !

You can be back in your own bed that night ! :angry:

I on the other hand (and many others like me) need to arrange time off work (two jobs in my case) ... flights ... connections ... accommodation etc. I also like to bring (where possible) unusual personal items for the guests to sign. General Lee die-cast car for Catherine Bach, Hellboy Statue for Ron Perlman etc. If I don't have such a thing already, I need time to arrange them !

People that live near these shows have to stop taking them for granted, and be more sympathetic to the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of people who travel from outside England ..... from outside the UK .... from OUTSIDE EUROPE !!! to attend this and similar events !!!

Xander Berkley, Sarah Clarke, Val Kilmer and The Blake's Seven people :rolleyes: were confirmed LONG before they were announced on this forum - how else did they make it into the magazines that were released a day or two later ?? :o It's hardly as if them being exclusively announced in the mags benefits anyone - it just slows things down !

I don't doubt that SMs have a dozen or more people ready to go, subject to work ! THAT disclaimer is on there ANYWAY, so just announce them, and if they get a job and have to cancel, we'll understand !! That's the way it is with actors !!

Did they (SMs), or did they not pin a thread on here before L2 asking us to advertise the show for them ??? Because they had announced all the top guests SOOOOOOOOO late in the day !!!

I make no apology for being impatient ! SMs want £200 from us for a Gold ticket, but at the minute, there's nobody I want that I forsee any problems getting a VQT for :angry: Hardly justifys me making that inverstment, goodybags or not ! :blink:

Did they (SMs), or did they not pin a thread on here before L2 asking us to advertise the show for them ??? Because they had announced all the top guests SOOOOOOOOO late in the day !!!

I had forgotten about that, must have a short memory !

I do admit the marketing / advertising strategy is a little odd for the event.

Common sense approach would be you get all your main celebs advertised out there as early as possible on the advertising to guarantee the best attendance possible.

Having said that, I think the guest list so far is o.k., not up to LFCC2 standards, but definetly some different faces and a couple more quality guests would get us there.

I had forgotten about that, must have a short memory !

I do admit the marketing / advertising strategy is a little odd for the event.

Common sense approach would be you get all your main celebs advertised out there as early as possible on the advertising to guarantee the best attendance possible.

Having said that, I think the guest list so far is o.k., not up to LFCC2 standards, but definetly some different faces and a couple more quality guests would get us there.

The thing is that if its not up to LFACC2 standards, then surely people have a right to complain as this was supposed to be the BIG ONE!! the major event on our calendar and at the moment there is only one person I wanna meet. I was expecting huge guests for this one, not because of my own expectations but because of how LFACC3 was first annouced!

I only come from 2 hours away, but I fully sympathise with people that come from furthur, as its still quite difficult for me!

I am happy with Ron Perlman, but I am also very worried about Val, he is not appearing all day right? I forsee mayhem!