suggestion to improve guests annoucements and tickets selling

Hello,

Here is a suggestion for the guests annoucements.

Make a post 5 days in advance on twitter and facebook with clue is cool :-) (for the guessing game and to prepare ourself to buy the diamond pass)

But, last times, with the "3-4-5 days suspens" (and sometimes the overhype), I was behind my computer 30min before, and press "refresh" ;-) (like a good number of us I suppose :p), I organize my evening for that, to be sure to have a ticket.

And, when it's the time of the annoucement, I said "Great guest, but not for me", and I'm already waiting the next annoucement :P

Maybe, SM can do exactly the same (Twitter, facebook ==> then the annoucement) BUT at the time of the annoucement :

"Here is our new guest - tickets on sale tomorrow at 7PM"

Why ?

It allows us to not be behind our computer, at the exact time of the annoucement for buying ticket, IF the guest is not for us.

When you see the guest is for you (maybe just on your phone, 1 hour later because you're not at home), you will be there the next day for sure at the exact time, 

and If not, you don't have to plan you're evening to be behind your computer for the annoucement.

Quite the same system for "tickets concert" (but here, it's just one day to wait to buy).

What do you think ? (sorry for my bad english, speaking french ;-) )

I buy all my tickets for events on the phone, For LFCC the Evenbrite app is excellent. No matter where you are you can buy your tickets. Quick and easy. At least I prefer to be able to buy straight away. Cant see any reason to push the ticket rush a day ahead, it will always be ”the wrong time of the day” for someone. Plus waiting to find out who the guest(s) are and then forced to wait again to a certain day and time can be as annoying and force you to plan, still. Concerts etc works in a different way, not like the record company/promotor writes on social media a few days ahead to stay tuned because we have huge artist coming on tour.

I (like you and lots of people on here) also plan my evening around SM guest announcements, so I get what your saying. But the truth is, we don't really have to. So far this year, none of the tickets have sold out, so it's not like we have to be there directly at 7 to secure the tickets anyway. Before I joined the forums, I used to forget about guest announcements and check many days after. I still managed to secure diamond passes, and still managed to use those passes to go through whenever I wanted to (in other words, pass number wasn't any issue).

What i'm trying to get at is that you devised this system to bypass the need for organising your evening around SM guest announcements. But the truth is, none of us actually need to. It's just fun.

To be honest, even under your system, i'd still likely organise my evenings, in order to break the suspense as early as possible. But like Chris said, i'd then have to wait a whole agonising 24 hours if it was someone I absolutely love. I also fear that those of us who organise their evenings are probably a minority of SM super fans XD so changing the system to suit us might be a little bit wishful :P. 

Edited by tenaciouspirit

Personally I can't be bothered with guessing games, if there's a guest to announce, then announce them that day, or the following day at the latest with tickets going straight on sale.  It will save on any 'hype' which will be fantastic for some people and a total let down for others.

• Like 5

Some valid points.

But it’s down to Showmasters, and concert tickets are a different ball game.

There have been times when I couldn’t learn who the announcements are until about an hour or two later due to other plans or commitments (including Christopher Eccleston whom I didn’t learn about until 9pm).

And also, most big announcements are usually ones I’m not bothered about so I just go about my business and check the forum a few minutes afterwards.

Unlike most concerts, tickets and Diamond Passes rarely sell out, and with the exception of the entry ticket (and a couple of Diamond Passes for this year), I normally wait until the schedule is put up so I can plan my photoshoots, unless any for guests I want to meet are almost sold out.

I get what you are saying, that if you know that the tickets will be on sale 24 hours later there's theoretically less stress as people know they don't need to be on line when the announcement goes live, they can just check who it is at any point after to see if it's someone they want.  But you would still then need to schedule your evening the next night to be ready to get tickets, and people plan ahead.  So if you announce on Friday everyone is just going to have to make sure they keep Saturday evening free ahead of time on the assumption they may need to get tickets.  So it's the same situation just delayed a day.

It's easy to get caught up in the hype but if people approach announcements with a dose of reality they would be ok.  Don't read into what the clues are, if you think announcements are overstated stay away from them - just note the announcement date/time and come back then, assume it's never going to be someone for you and if it is yay, if not you haven't been disappointed.

• Like 1

I have never really seen the point in SM stating that they have a big guest announcement to make in so many days time. People get worked up speculating who it could be. Then a lot feel let down because it's not who they wanted or feel the guest didn't warrant such a big build up. This then results in lots of ill feeling posts on social media leading to Jason having to post a statement trying to justify the original post.

Edited by Tony1975
  • Like 1

And in my experience the surprise gets bigger and better if you keep it cool. If I just read ”Guests (or Guests) will be announced on Wednesday 7pm”. It is the thrill of find out then and there which is half the journey to that special weekend in July. No build up, no clues..

• Like 1

Just an FYI but I fully expect this thread will be locked.

I know we are just discussing it but it's come up before and the response is always that it's SM's decision as to how they announce and that's pretty much it.

56 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I get what you are saying, that if you know that the tickets will be on sale 24 hours later there's theoretically less stress as people know they don't need to be on line when the announcement goes live, they can just check who it is at any point after to see if it's someone they want.  But you would still then need to schedule your evening the next night to be ready to get tickets, and people plan ahead.  So if you announce on Friday everyone is just going to have to make sure they keep Saturday evening free ahead of time on the assumption they may need to get tickets.  So it's the same situation just delayed a day.

It's easy to get caught up in the hype but if people approach announcements with a dose of reality they would be ok.  Don't read into what the clues are, if you think announcements are overstated stay away from them - just note the announcement date/time and come back then, assume it's never going to be someone for you and if it is yay, if not you haven't been disappointed.

"So if you announce on Friday everyone is just going to have to make sure they keep Saturday evening free ahead of time on the assumption they may need to get tickets"

No, that's the point. You need to be there at the exact time (tomorrow) ONLY if you're interested by the guest.

But, some response of this topic are true : we don't really need to be there, the tickets are rarely sold out, and we can buy via smartphone (never try that, but i will :-) )

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Just an FYI but I fully expect this thread will be locked.

I know we are just discussing it but it's come up before and the response is always that it's SM's decision as to how they announce and that's pretty much it.

But it can be good to also listen to the customers sometimes, a good dialogue can we all gain of, as it can be done with good spirit and intentions. As someone who has worked 22 years with producer and customer dialogue it can be very fruitful. ^_^

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, john.bttf said:

"So if you announce on Friday everyone is just going to have to make sure they keep Saturday evening free ahead of time on the assumption they may need to get tickets"

No, that's the point. You need to be there at the exact time (tomorrow) ONLY if you're interested by the guest.

But, some response of this topic are true : we don't really need to be there, the tickets are rarely sold out, and we can buy via smartphone (never try that, but i will :-) )

But people will plan to be available in case it's someone they want.

2 hours ago, Raylenth said:

But people will plan to be available in case it's someone they want.

That's the point :

Plan to be available in case it's someone you want

and

Don't plan if it's someone you don't want.

Now the system  is :

You plan your evening for someone you don't know.

But, the other response are correct too : it's no need to be there at the exact time, tickets are rarely sold out, and you can buy by smartphone too.

But maybe for may and june...

(I remember the photo batches for Benedict Cumberbach sells very quick :-)  )

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sorry guys but I’m going to lock this here, whilst I appreciate you are making suggestions we have had a number of threads similar to this all of which have spiralled out of control and become arguments into people either liking or not liking the “announcement coming threads”.  We all have our views on these threads but they have always proved largely successful and I can’t see the format changing any time soon.