Hotel recommendations/experience?

Diabolik

I've stayed at the Excel Travelodge twice for events in the past, it's only a couple of stops on the DLR to the Excel centre so it's pretty close by. It's standard travel lodge stuff, no frills but it's comfortable and clean. I would have stayed there again but it was a lot more expensive than the last two times I stayed there. There is a bar/cafe/restaurant type thing in the hotel, the food is OK but not much more than that but it's a useful option if you don't want to be bothered going out in the evenings. They have vending machines in the reception area as well.

Edited by Count Fooku
  • Like 1

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Canary Wharf? We were originally booked at the Ramada Docklands but then they ring us up and said they had overbooked!! Really worried that it's miles away

Oops,messed that up :P

I haven't stayed there am sorry, I tried to put up a map but it didn't work.

Edited by evilfairie

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Canary Wharf? We were originally booked at the Ramada Docklands but then they ring us up and said they had overbooked!! Really worried that it's miles away

Personally I wouldn't worry - London distances/commutes are entirely different from other places. If you were doing say Barking - Ealing then different kettle of fish. Think of it M Piccadilly to Salford.

I'm in the ibis excel styles and from the outside it looks pretty grim, I'm hoping the inside will prove me wrong, anyone stayed there before?

Also I'm wondering what the food facilities are like as I really don't want to have to tramp back into Central London to get a decent meal and I'm not a big fan of budget hotel restaurant fayre!?!

Thanks 😃

I'm in the ibis excel styles and from the outside it looks pretty grim, I'm hoping the inside will prove me wrong, anyone stayed there before?

Also I'm wondering what the food facilities are like as I really don't want to have to tramp back into Central London to get a decent meal and I'm not a big fan of budget hotel restaurant fayre!?!

Thanks

Well here's a link to the webpage about them http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-8712-ibis-styles-london-excel/index.shtml

Thanks

HI we stayed there for DSTL and it was fine, nothing fancy but clean and comfy. I seem to remember them serving food, we ate breakfast and it was pretty good.

If it comes down to it, at least there's a Tesco Express nearby (and after what additional autographs my cost me, this might be it for food!)

There is also an Asda opposite Beckton DLR station. All the hotels in the Excel area are charging London with an event prices :(

Thanks for your replies everyone. Count, you may be best to answer this: is the Travel lodge within walking distance of the Excel centre or am I better getting the DLR? If so, what's the cost for this and do they offer any passes/railcards?

Thanks for your replies everyone. Count, you may be best to answer this: is the Travel lodge within walking distance of the Excel centre or am I better getting the DLR? If so, what's the cost for this and do they offer any passes/railcards?

I really don't think you have to worry about it Diabolik, looking on the map it's practically next to Excel

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.508268,0.038441&spn=0.004,0.011373&t=h&z=17

If you look on the link, Excel is gthe big building on the left and the Travel lodge is in the middle to the right. Google directions say it's 2 mins walking time :smile:

Edited by Raylenth

You mean the Travel loge City Airport? It is in the walking distance, which is why I chose it, but... the area is pretty grim and I wouldn't like to walk there after dark. You can check the walkways with Google StreetView. There is an entrance on the east side of the Excel building which is good.

Do you think you can take a cab for such a short distance? The alternative would be a bus, which stops at the hotel, but I don't know how the schedule is at weekends.

If it comes down to it, at least there's a Tesco Express nearby (and after what additional autographs my cost me, this might be it for food!)

There is also an Asda opposite Beckton DLR station. All the hotels in the Excel area are charging London with an event prices :(

That's good to know! And that's Beckton, not Beckton Park?

I got my hotel packaged with my flight on Travelocity and it was under $300 more than just the flight alone for 3 nights. But I booked as soon as tickets went on sale for the con. Since then, I've seen the Crowne Plaza asking $400 to 500 per night.

Personally I wouldn't worry - London distances/commutes are entirely different from other places. If you were doing say Barking - Ealing then different kettle of fish. Think of it M Piccadilly to Salford.

Ah this helps! Thanks :)

Yes as others have said, I'm sure it is walking distance whether you'd want to is another matter! At DST I went the wrong way out of the station and genuinely thought I was going to end my days at the hands of the worlds most menacing film crew!

The DLR stop is only a very short walk from the hotel though and I can't remember the exact amounts but it's not much for a return ticket. Not sure about railcards but you might find there is something that can be done in that line.

• Like 1