Convention sketchbooks

Do any of you keep a con sketchbook for getting sketches in? I'd never really thought of the idea until a friend told me about it yesterday-apparently it's pretty common in the US and was wondering if anyone over here does it? Definitely bringing a sketchbook to LFCC this year to get some sketches done! (There's always some amazing artists in the Artists' Alley!)

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread with my own query, but do the artists there draw pictures of guests in comic-book style? I'd love to have a portrait done like I'm in a comic!

It all depends on the artist, but I don't see why not! Most are happy to do whatever (within reason).

It's never really occurred to me to have a sketch done by a comic artist before sounds like a good idea, what do artists generally charge??

This is a really hard thing to estimate, because it all depends on how famous the artist is, what size you want, if you want it in colour, black and white etc. *Usually* I'd say you would expect to pay about £10-£30 for a fairly detailed inked piece from a non-super-famous artist, but like I said, it's a really hard thing to estimate without knowing more info haha.

Edited by Icena

Thanks Icena, appreciate the info!!!!. I've just been looking at a few of the artists attending and really like some of the work by Adi Granov

No worries, it's maybe worth Googling any artists you like in particular as they often have FAQ pages which might show how much they charge (or at least give you a rough idea!)

I have always wanted one artist to do a sketch of me but everytime its con day i never have enough money which is gutting hopefully i will this time. Do the artists use their own stuff (paper pens/pencils etc) or do people provide. My friend had a sketch done and he gave the artist some pens and a book and have heard other artists just got their own stuff.

Guillermo Ortego sketches are amazing he def worth getting and his prices are usually really reasonable he is on fb not sure if he has taken a list already this year he usually easy to get from. Adi granov list is already full I believe, Chad Hardin list is open and can preorder a spot on the limited edition comix website, mike Perkins mike mayhew have been doing pre com coins but don't think taken list for event itself yet, think most costs are ranging from £30 -£120 for cheaper options - scary how much the increase each year. I really want mike McKone but not heard back about charges yet.

The best guy to get yourself drawn as superhero etc is Liam's Shalloo he does it a lot, or Andy lanning once did me as wolverine

• Like 1