Printing your own 8x10s for autographs..

Awesome thread, just found a nice image I'm going to get signed for a game :) was thinking about using the cover that comes with the game but the picture I've found is personal to the charactor and even includes a quote the file size is betwee 200kb - 400kb but I've checked and the resulution is about a recommended ammount when I checked on google just now.

I've used photobox in the past, not for 10x8 though just normal size prints. I've decided to give Snapfish a go, so the method of printing they use is it the same as those found on the tables next to guests?

Photobox wanted almost £5 just for one print, so I've gone for Snapfish and used the 33% code they have at the moment and the delivery was only £1.49 so I've ordered four in the end for £1.20 less than 1 would have cost. All the same picture mind but I had trouble getting it to fix 10x8 so I've done edits to see what works best.

I find its better not to crop some pics to 8x10 but resize the image so the pic fits either 8 or 10 for any side (depending if portraid or landscape) you can then fill in the space at top or sides with black like an old widescreen film. looks better sometimes i think.

Awesome thread, just found a nice image I'm going to get signed for a game :) was thinking about using the cover that comes with the game but the picture I've found is personal to the charactor and even includes a quote the file size is betwee 200kb - 400kb but I've checked and the resulution is about a recommended ammount when I checked on google just now.

I've used photobox in the past, not for 10x8 though just normal size prints. I've decided to give Snapfish a go, so the method of printing they use is it the same as those found on the tables next to guests?

Photobox wanted almost £5 just for one print, so I've gone for Snapfish and used the 33% code they have at the moment and the delivery was only £1.49 so I've ordered four in the end for £1.20 less than 1 would have cost. All the same picture mind but I had trouble getting it to fix 10x8 so I've done edits to see what works best.

I find its better not to crop some pics to 8x10 but resize the image so the pic fits either 8 or 10 for any side (depending if portraid or landscape) you can then fill in the space at top or sides with black like an old widescreen film. looks better sometimes i think.

I've got 3 10x8 coming as I did some experiments using corel photo, I didn't use crop I used one that would reshape the whole image to fill what snapfish sees as 10x8 resolution and another with a narrow white margine at the top and bottom and another as is and will see what it auto chopped of from left and right side of the image and one with no changes at all as an 8x6 :)

With the movies/ tv guest roles are listed to be in on this website not external sources are those images of those roles they played with the photos always being available on the table?

Edited by GamerGraph

Just got my print packs today, made two packs one on an evening with an experiment set I'm glad I did this. And the second the next morning with a black border on just the top and bottom part of the image, I'm glad I did this. The prints in the first pack two of the 10 x 8 didn't print out as they showed in the preview :( Even though the resolution matched that recommended by snapfish, the second lot all matched the preview spot on. I used corel photo paint to match the resolution and add the two black borders to the top and bottom of the image before saving and uploading.

Is there any rules for images that we print out, for example a picture of that actor on set of a film etc.

Unless we're talking doctored nude shots or pictures that the guest may take offense to there's no official rules. Sometimes female guests won't sign certain magazines. But that will be posted on the day.

Is there any rules for images that we print out, for example a picture of that actor on set of a film etc.

Unless we're talking doctored nude shots or pictures that the guest may take offense to there's no official rules. Sometimes female guests won't sign certain magazines. But that will be posted on the day.

Fair enough, definitely none of those things. :) thanks for that.

I always wondered whether Katy Manning would sign her appearance with a Dalek, that said I've never gone hunting for the actual magazine. I'd then have to have the where with all to ask her but I can see that she'd laugh it as she seems to have that sort of personality.

I always wondered whether Katy Manning would sign her appearance with a Dalek, that said I've never gone hunting for the actual magazine. I'd then have to have the where with all to ask her but I can see that she'd laugh it as she seems to have that sort of personality

I have seen her sign that picture, my friend got that photo signed at Collectormania last november and she had no problem signing it, she had a laugh signing it.

Have sometimes seen limitiations on signings listed at end of queues with the virtual ticket number signs. For example boxers and wrestlers sometimes wont sign replica belts and some actressess who have done playboy won sign pics from that. I would keep an eye out for this and/or google the guest it and see if other have had experiences. Some restrictions are quite well know like Christopher Lee not signing Dracula stuff.

Edited by gobo1979uk

I always wondered whether Katy Manning would sign her appearance with a Dalek, that said I've never gone hunting for the actual magazine. I'd then have to have the where with all to ask her but I can see that she'd laugh it as she seems to have that sort of personality

I have seen her sign that picture, my friend got that photo signed at Collectormania last november and she had no problem signing it, she had a laugh signing it.

I have also seen her refuse to sign that picture she wasn't rude about it but just said no

Great to read everyones experiences, going to go through some pictures this afternoon and upload them to snapfish or the photobox and order some, hopefully should arrive really soon.

those who have used these sites, how long do they normally take to process and ship/arrive?

ok thats awesome thanks guys., i gather you chose reqular postage methods for that quick service..no extra priority shipping type deal? looking at getting my prints ordered over this weekend so want them to be back soon as possible incase i have any issues with them etc

thanks guys. would you say its better to use these rather then buy some photo printing paper and print them on a home printer?? would the quality for signing on be better?

DO NOT DO IT !!!!!!

Even modern home printers are NOT archive Safe and will fade over time. Its worth spending out a few quid to get photos printed via say Snapfish as they are done Optically and not via Ink Jet.

Optically means its all done by exposing photo paper to light like you used to do before digital and there for a Hellva lot safer for archiving.

Theres a big difference

Ah......so bye bye then (in the future) to my Carl Weathers sig of him from Force 10 from Navarone got signed in march on pic printed off myself. :no:

thanks guys. would you say its better to use these rather then buy some photo printing paper and print them on a home printer?? would the quality for signing on be better?

DO NOT DO IT !!!!!!

Even modern home printers are NOT archive Safe and will fade over time. Its worth spending out a few quid to get photos printed via say Snapfish as they are done Optically and not via Ink Jet.

Optically means its all done by exposing photo paper to light like you used to do before digital and there for a Hellva lot safer for archiving.

Theres a big difference

Ah......so bye bye then (in the future) to my Carl Weathers sig of him from Force 10 from Navarone got signed in march on pic printed off myself. :no:

Oh, there goes my recently signed personalised Anthony Daniels C3PO picture :(

Gmorris2504 officialpix.com are always best for star wars prints. Can get hight quality larger sized ones too. Also a lot of rare behind the scenes pics on there. (I don't work for officialpix by the way).

Yeah I've been told of them, problem was I only found out like 3 days before his signing that he was doing a signing so I just printed one off of our printer, it's a high quality print on proper photo paper so should be ok

I have generally found that the 8x10 pictures provided by Showmasters are of good quality and they usually have a pretty good selection.

However, in recent years I have started to bring my own 8x10 pictures with me. As guest prices are (understandably) getting higher and higher, with more big name guests coming, I don't want to be disappointed if there isn't a picture I like on the table to choose from. If I pay £XX for an autograph I want it to be on a picture I am completely happy with.

For example John Hurt has such a large selection of work I am a fan of, I couldn't choose a photo of just one film etc, so I have opted to bring along a printed photo from a photoshoot he has done instead, which is more "general" and I am not certain if Showmasters will have 8x10s like this. I also did the same for Natalie Dormer.

With a little help from etmuse, I have also ordered a Carrie Fisher photograph that I like as well, as there is no guarantee Showmasters will have it.

My first port of call is usually Statesidestills' website, they have a pretty good selection. I have a look to there first and order print of any pictures I like. If they dont have any I want I then take to google and try an find a photo I like, then (attempt to) find it at a high enough resolution to get printed.

I use Photobox for my printing because 8x10 prints are only £1.19 each and I can usually find a discount code online, so it usually works out around £1 per 8x10.

• Like 1

I have generally found that the 8x10 pictures provided by Showmasters are of good quality and they usually have a pretty good selection.

However, in recent years I have started to bring my own 8x10 pictures with me. As guest prices are (understandably) getting higher and higher, with more big name guests coming, I don't want to be disappointed if there isn't a picture I like on the table to choose from. If I pay £XX for an autograph I want it to be on a picture I am completely happy with.

For example John Hurt has such a large selection of work I am a fan of, I couldn't choose a photo of just one film etc, so I have opted to bring along a printed photo from a photoshoot he has done instead, which is more "general" and I am not certain if Showmasters will have 8x10s like this. I also did the same for Natalie Dormer.

With a little help from etmuse, I have also ordered a Carrie Fisher photograph that I like as well, as there is no guarantee Showmasters will have it.

My first port of call is usually Statesidestills' website, they have a pretty good selection. I have a look to there first and order print of any pictures I like. If they dont have any I want I then take to google and try an find a photo I like, then (attempt to) find it at a high enough resolution to get printed.

I use Photobox for my printing because 8x10 prints are only £1.19 each and I can usually find a discount code online, so it usually works out around £1 per 8x10.

There is a specific picture id like carrie to sign that I'm not sure Showmasters will have, however, I don't think I've found a high enough quality one yet :( what program/ website did you use?

There is a specific picture id like carrie to sign that I'm not sure Showmasters will have, however, I don't think I've found a high enough quality one yet :( what program/ website did you use?

Etmuse actually found mine for me. She used the "Search by image" function on Google (which I didn't know existed). Where you can enter the url to the picture you want, or upload it from your computer, and Google will search for that specific image. You can then look at the sizes of all the results and see if any are big enough.

I used it for the first time today (to find a back up picture) just incase the resolution wasn't great on the one I wanted. Nifty little tool.

• Like 1

Etmuse actually found mine for me. She used the "Search by image" function on Google (which I didn't know existed). Where you can enter the url to the picture you want, or upload it from your computer, and Google will search for that specific image. You can then look at the sizes of all the results and see if any are big enough.

I used it for the first time today (to find a back up picture) just incase the resolution wasn't great on the one I wanted. Nifty little tool.

Cool! Thanks very much, I'm going to do that tomorrow, did you order a print from snapfish or something afterwards or just print it?

Cool! Thanks very much, I'm going to do that tomorrow, did you order a print from snapfish or something afterwards or just print it?

I ordered my prints from Photobox. Much better quality than I can print at home.

I have used Snapfish in the past as well. Both are just as good as each other. I used Photobox this time because I had a discount code.