Bad photos from photo sessions

I really felt sorry for a lady that picked up her photo from the Karl Urban session only to find her eyes were shut in the photo. I thought that kind of thing was usually caught at the time and the photo retaken.

Hope she is attending tomorrow and is able to get another chance at getting her photo taken.

You have the right wording, it is usually caught. Unfortunately things do get overlooked. Rare, but it happens. Please ask her to speak to a Pit Boss. As Karl is doing another session there should be no problem getting this fixed.

I now ask ALL photographers at Photo Op sessions in Cons I go to, to do a "shoulders upwards shot" (if you know what I mean)...I LOATHE full body shots of me and after two disastrous ones I NEVER forget to remind the photographer of this....was dreading the Jewel Staite one as she looked REALLY tall and had mega heels on and I had my comfy flats on...but it's come out grand!!....LOVE the Ben Browder one (taken at the same Photo Area) but then he's giving me the most gorgeous hug!!..

Thought the man organising the queue at Photo Area B was amazing....efficient, in ticket number order, refusing absolutely to have "push-ins" and with a loud clear voice to be heard over all that noise around...

Area B was darkish and the queue was slow - think the photographer always takes very great care to make sure she has the right shot (I think she took 2/3 attempts on mine)....shame I have to wait for this one with Charles Dance to be sent back due to me leaving before it got back, as he gave me a kiss on the top of my head for my birthday and I'm hoping she caught the moment!!.. :P

But good photos again, for which I'm very grateful.....so far! ;)

Edited by discodiva

My photos with Jeri, Gillian and Hayden were fab! The only one that seemed more at distance and therefore more background was Hayden, but I think that's down to the fact she was on a chair and I was still taller so closing in on both of us wouldn't have been as good.

Also all 3 of my photoshoots were done by (don't know his name) the profressional photographer that usually handles the bigger guests. He's awesome!

Well when we spoke to Jason and asked after 4 and hlaf hours where the Ben Browder pictures were he told us he was gonna knock the printing at the con on the head,,I dont know if he just said that in frustration cause there were a lot of people moaning at him about photo collection.....

I think knocking it on the head at the event is a bad idea. There will be more complaints if they all get sent in the post because they are more likely to get lost. Then you'll have instances of people not being able to speak to someone about it. Yes it would reduce complaints at the event but all your doing is stopping people from raising issues verbally at the event.

The photoshoot collection should be an easy task and just needs organisation and clear thinking. But at the same time it also needs everyone wanting photos to be considerate of everyone there and to have a lot of commonsense, which I know is hard sometimes for some people!!! But I urge Jason not to stop onsite photo collection, just make it a priority fix for next time.

It would still work....lots more staff, lots more organisation and a completely separated dedicated space for Collection Only...yes consideration is needed, but that's human nature, you ain't gonna get that at events....people always push in, for many things, to be served at merch stalls, photo ops, auto queues, and collection points....it's the nature of fandom, you HAVE to have it now, at all costs before someone else grabs it....that won't change in many people...

To minimise the problems you have to a) cut down on the number of shoots done, so smaller amounts are easier to control, or focus all attention and a vast amount of space and staff to deal with the massive amount of work 4 Photo Op Booths produce - or maybe even more if LFCC grows at the pace it has been recently....maybe split the processing between some outside printing and spend some money on a dedicated printing service to be done in-house...

People will always want their photos at the end of the day - it's like that at all Cons...but of course I can't mention other comparison experiences (good or bad) here....they just want to wait for them in an orderly and pleasant fashion with plenty of good information...

Also makes for a much easier and pleasant life for crew....I now know I'd NEVER volunteer for crew now in case I get stuck on that godforsaken job at those photo tables.... :(

Edited by discodiva

my Holly combs photo was awful, all bleached out with too much lighting, and it was the only one i got back from 4 photoshoots before i left.

I was not happy with my photoshoot with Holly either and spoke to someone about it.

my Holly combs photo was awful, all bleached out with too much lighting, and it was the only one i got back from 4 photoshoots before i left.

I was not happy with my photoshoot with Holly either and spoke to someone about it.

I did notice about the lighting in my Holly picture! But I have to say I thought it made me look better, especially I had this ridiculous grin on my face!!! LOL!

• this is terrible, using Boots!!, it should be done professionally on site, we pay out a lot of money and therefore deserve what we pay, this is not good P.R for showmasters/massive events at all, i feel terrible for you guys

• this is terrible, using Boots!!, it should be done professionally on site, we pay out a lot of money and therefore deserve what we pay, this is not good P.R for showmasters/massive events at all, i feel terrible for you guys

So you would sooner have someone whose only claim to being professional is that he is being paid, rather than a fully-trained, long-standing establishment which is part of a nationwide company? I can't see why although I might well recommend Snappy Snaps above Boots, based on my personal experiences. In any case, they will have many more checks and backups built into their daily routines than anyone running an intermittent operation.

I would also recommend anyone running this type of event to get a trained photographer rather than a "paid" photographer as their "professional" in order to eliminate problems at the shooting stage.

• Like 1

Why is this bad PR? Boots are a professional operation using professional equipment that is in regular use and is cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. I find their quality to be better than any high-end printer that you could take to the show.

Don't play the martyr. You're free to have an opinion, I'm free to disagree. And I still don't see how using a local professional lab to print photos is bad PR, which is why I asked you how it was. I was hoping that I might get a logical, reasoned response, not a sulk.

• Like 1

I too have an issue with my Nicholas Lea photo (the others I had yesterday were fantastic though). It is an awful picture, with way way too much background and not good of either of us. I did complain and have been given the chance to get a re-take today, for which I am grateful. Hopefully as today's shoot is in a different area it will be with a different photographer it will be OK...it certainly could not be worse anyway.

Mine is awful too. Way too much background and to be honest, it's a really awful shot of Nick. The photographer commented on my nice smile in the pic so he did look at me in the shot, but evidently not at Nick. Wish Malcolm had been shooting that area.

One thing against Boots - Sharpies are not instantly dry on the silky paper they use. They can easily be smudged for two or three seconds after signing. A matt paper or traditional glossy would be better for "our" purposes.

Right, let's get this back into perspective, boots or no boots...

We re-attended the show today and let my say what a difference a day makes.

We were offered a re-shoot which was done without question. The pit crew were so helpful. We asked for the photo to be taken a certain way which it was and a far better result was acheived.

On the subject of on site prinnting. I totally understand that the decent printers are the big machines that are designed for permanent install and using boots is not an issue provided that you keep it away from the publics eyes.

Local onsite printers will always suffer a slight difference in quality compared to a digital lab. It's a toss up between quality or speed.

Perhaps the following could be done, at the time the photo is taken you get to see it on a screen before leaving the booth, you then have the chance to see its a fail before leaving. If you say it's ok, then the organisers can send it to a lab without the worry of people not being happy etc.

People are prepared to wait but only knowing that your photos are good enough.

I want to thank showmasters for listening to the forum and dealing with it.

Please showmasters keep the posed photos going but maybe think about some tweaks. There is tech avaialbe, I've seen it used, perhaps we could discuss that sometime.

Again, I think this and other SM events rock, it was an SM event that got me into Autograph collecting, please keep up the good work.

Right, let's get this back into perspective, boots or no boots...

We re-attended the show today and let my say what a difference a day makes.

We were offered a re-shoot which was done without question. The pit crew were so helpful. We asked for the photo to be taken a certain way which it was and a far better result was acheived.

On the subject of on site prinnting. I totally understand that the decent printers are the big machines that are designed for permanent install and using boots is not an issue provided that you keep it away from the publics eyes.

Local onsite printers will always suffer a slight difference in quality compared to a digital lab. It's a toss up between quality or speed.

Perhaps the following could be done, at the time the photo is taken you get to see it on a screen before leaving the booth, you then have the chance to see its a fail before leaving. If you say it's ok, then the organisers can send it to a lab without the worry of people not being happy etc.

People are prepared to wait but only knowing that your photos are good enough.

I want to thank showmasters for listening to the forum and dealing with it.

Please showmasters keep the posed photos going but maybe think about some tweaks. There is tech avaialbe, I've seen it used, perhaps we could discuss that sometime.

Again, I think this and other SM events rock, it was an SM event that got me into Autograph collecting, please keep up the good work.

Good reply and something I totally agree, to be SM do very well at organising these events, and no matter what problems will always arise I know Jason and his crew must put in hundreds of hours before and after fow which we all thank him, as you say a few minor tweaks and things will like today improve

• Like 1

<few minor tweaks> ... but if I was organizing this and taking money for it (and making a profit), I should never do ANY of the things people have complained about in the first place, let alone fail to learn and correct things after years of practice. A person with a DSLR is not automatically a photographer and it sounds like a person with a microphone and speakers isn't a sound technician either, whether they are paid or not.

Anyway gotta get back to sulking as i am allowed to do that, opinions on here though are banned

Oh please don't distort the truth. You're allowed to express an opinion that using a professional off-site photo lab is bad PR, and I'm allowed to express an opinion to the contrary and ask the basis of your opinion. You are then entitled to explain your position. Although I suppose you're also entitled to not explain your opinion, and instead exclaim huffily about opinions not being allowed. But saying that opinions aren't allowed is a demonstrable falsehood.

But let's let that be water under the bridge. I was, and remain, genuinely interested to know why using a professional off-site photo lab is bad PR. Please, enlighten me.

Anyway gotta get back to sulking as i am allowed to do that, opinions on here though are banned

Oh please don't distort the truth. You're allowed to express an opinion that using a professional off-site photo lab is bad PR, and I'm allowed to express an opinion to the contrary and ask the basis of your opinion. You are then entitled to explain your position. Although I suppose you're also entitled to not explain your opinion, and instead exclaim huffily about opinions not being allowed. But saying that opinions aren't allowed is a demonstrable falsehood.

But let's let that be water under the bridge. I was, and remain, genuinely interested to know why using a professional off-site photo lab is bad PR. Please, enlighten me.

Let me put it this way to end this...u are right i am wrong!!! there you go all over!!!!

Now now play nicely!!!!

Only thing I can say from yesterday is that my Brian and Adam photos are very very bright, they're not hideous but that are almost a whiteout and also I think the Adam one could have been done portrait style as he is so tall, I would have at least had a but more of me in the pic!!!

Have to say though these were done by a photographer I've not seen at one of these events so it could be that!!!

Also I personally don't see an issue with using outside developers, the equipment is proper and used regularly its just a bit of a pain waiting for them to come back as I am sat right now waiting for the Tony Head photos to come back!!!!

I was happy with all my pictures apart from my one with Holly from Saturday morning. Even then it's not terrible, just brighter than a photo should be, so as had been said before we look a bit washed out. It's still ok though, just not amazing.

My pictures (yes, plural) were brilliant! I couldn't get enough of it! It was a brilliant idea and it was very very popular indeed. The sword was an added bonus. I loved the black backdrop and the lighting too, very well done to the photographer and the crew, the set up was amazing and so were the end results!!!