Asking guest to sign with my pen?

I've been looking into paint pens recently as they give stunning autographs. I was considering getting one and perhaps handing it over to some guest (primarily Gillian Anderson) and asking they they use it for my autograph. My question is, would this be something that would be OK for busy guests like Gillian? If I were to quickly pass it to the assistant beforehand and ask that she use it, would this be acceptable? I realise that with quieter guests it would probably be fine, and asking Gillian herself would be frowned upon, but since the crew member usually gets everything ready and has occasionally, in the past, suggested which pen to use, would this be alright?

I remember hearing a crew member during the David Tennant signing saying that since we paid a lot for the autograph, we are entitled to a good one (this was in reference to what colour pen they wanted the autograph in).

I did ask Kristanna Loken to sign with my black retractable marker - but lets face it, she was £15 and was such a doll with it.

This time we are paying a lot for Gillian so I'd be very shocked if you didnt have the Signature in the pen you requested. :) All you can do is try and go for it.

I had an exploding pen when I was about 14. I loaded it up with a cap and casually left it on the teachers desk, it was hilarious when she opened it although it did land me a detention but it was totally worth it.

Needless to say, using the exploding pen trick on a guest at LFCC would probably result in you being ejected from the venue.

Yes i totally agree, i always bring my ten yes ten different coloured RETRACTABLE sharpies and if there is a photo that really could be set off with a certain colour i always take the opportunity.

For example last year Alex Kingston used my orange sharpie on her sonic screwdriver box and it really sets it off. Elizabeth Sladen photo from the SJA and in the pic she was in a red cardigan so i asked if she would use the red sharpie, with the light background as well it really enhanced the overall item.

The possibilities are endless. I always look at the photo the background and what the character is wearing and if i have a suitable pen to match i always ask. Remember if you dont ask you dont get. Retractable sharpies are the best as you dont have to worry about the top of the pen IE it getting lost or left behind on the desk. And as said before if you are forking out £30 plus for ONE autograph then having it written in whatever pen YOU prefer SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM.

Another tip as well is i have a lot of black and white photos that are signed in blue trust me you wont be dissapointed. The amount of times i have had comments made by the guests themselves after they have signed my photos in blue on a B&W shot is incredible.

Hope my input helps.

Never had an issue provided you get the pen ready before hand Had a few close shaves there.)

As for types of pens, edding751 are a good pen to buy or if you want a finer siganture, edding 780 do a very good job especially on cast shots.

Another tip is make sure that the ink is fully dry before puting them in a folder\sleeve and when you get a change take them out again a lay flat for an hour or so.

Edited by Ian Barker

Thanks again guys. I was thinking of going for Sharpie Paint Pens, as the few autographs done by paint pens in the past have been outstanding. Would medium tip be a decent all-rounder for regular 10x8 photos? I noticed there are some being sold with a finer tip, but medium is the normal sort of pen used at these signings right? As long as it's not a DVD cover or a fine autograph, I'm guessing it should be ok.

I totally agree with your comments about the right pen for the right background. So often, black is the default pen used on photos (especially the busy guests) and when it's a dark picture it's pretty useless. You see these professionally collected cast autographs online and they look magnificent with so many varying colours.