Composers

Cube1701

Has anyone thought of asking composers to appear at any of these events? People like:

Bear McCreary (BSG, Caprica, TSSC, Walking Dead)

Greg Edmonson (Firefly, Uncharted)

Murray Gold (Doctor Who)

Jerry Goldsmith (Star Trek)

Dennis McCarthy (Star Trek)

Joel Goldsmith (Stargate)

Or even some of the bigger (or smaller) film composers?

I've asked Bear McCreary about this on his website and his response was

I've given a LOT of thought to that, and would love to attend. If there are cons in the UK you'd like to see me at, it really helps if fans can turn up the heat with the organizers. Many times, composers are not high on their lists, and fan enthusiasm would do a lot to change that. But, I'd love to come out to the UK and do an event or even a concert.
Edited by Cube1701

I think Bear McCreary would be an awesome guest, Battlestar guests generally receive a good reception and he has also worked on the Walking Dead, which is very popular at the moment. However, I don't know how many people would want to meet him. There would possibly be a large contingent of people who wouldn't because they don't recognise him from being "in the show"? Maybe not, people still meet actors who don't look anything like the characters they portray on in TV shows I guess...

They had Jeff Wayne at one of the events a few years back signing copies of War of the Worlds, I would imagine it would be mainly people wanting DVD/CD's signed, I have liked Bears Themes but I am unsure if the numbers would translate to the cost of brining him over.

Some of the others maybe, where they have a larger body of work across the Genre, like John Williams or Alan Silvestri.

I'd say it's a big step for showmasters, as they havent had any composers to my knowledge before, so its a bit of a risk, but nothing new would ever happen if they were afraid to try :) I can guarentee i'd want to get gred edmonsons auto

i'd love to meet Murray Gold. his music in doctor who is amazing and as a song writer myself and someone who makes their own music and really lives music id love to chew things over with him and talk about music. i'd also like to offer up the idea...(hardly i know, but here we go anyways) of danny elfman? i absolutely adore this guy and his music!!

I'll echo the poster above, I guarantee I will get down there if you guys can get Danny Elfman. I'm a massive Oingo Boingo fan and love his film score work, this would be the equivelant of David Tennant last year. I've also put him as no 1 on my most wanted guest suggestions list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

John williams would be the ultimate composer i'd love to meet.

But id also love to meet:

Danny Elfman

Alan Silvestri for the Back To The Future score

Hans Zimmer

Mark Snow for X Files and dozens of other classic TV shows