6.8 lets kill hitler

timelord81r

well, im huffing, i really dont know whats gone wrong this year. load of silly tosh, yes the characterization is good, the river, doc interactions are great BUT there is no story, its just one big very complicated arc about river and the doctor. an arc that seems to cheapen regeneration every ep.

the whole subplot of the justice time travelers was stupid, and very RTD. "we dont kill them" really, what happened to that nazi at the start and why is your entire ship including the bridge full of killer robots? how do they have detailed files on everyone?

so let me get this straight, river is melody, melody is the kid in the spacesuit who kills the doc, she (eventually i assume as the time periods are wrong) regens into mells who befriends her parents who regens into river who tries to kill the doc, but why? hasnt she already killed him whilst in the spacesuit? and if this is so why does river in the impossible astronaut not know who was in the suit? and why is she so surprised at this death happens whilst she watches?

im a bit lost and tbh Im starting to not care anymore.

doctor who isnt the tv show lost and nor should it be. but man is it trying its best to be.

very disappointed.

and dont get me started on the poor comedic and really pointless portrayal of one of the most evil ppl ever to of lived.

and why do our leads die and be resurrected like every other episode?

im in a strange place, cos I loved the river doc interaction, but its spliced in with so much pointless stuff in episodes that have no plot. I want episodes with situations and baddies throughout time and space.

strange how this seems sooooo different to series 5.

maybe I need to rewatch it, maybe, I dont know, it has the strange thing of being awesome and total crap at the same time alot of this year. part of me is like oh cool and thats very emotional and another part of me is like waht a load of pointless crap.

hummm, im very conflicted right now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DW should B about landing randomly in2 a situation and sorting/trying 2 sort it out, without using the tardis as a london hoppie, not a massive story arc where the actual episode takes a back seat (or is just silly/pointless) to the arc of 2 characters which with every episode makes less sense even when it is answering questions. small arcs are fine, but this year is built on 1 massive (3d lol) arc where the eps take a back seat to the river doc story line.

also im tired of regeneration being cheapened, this (river bringing the doc back to life with regeneration energy ages after she regenerated and surviving bullets i might add and the cheating of DT regeneration in journeys end really **** me off. some of the character interaction and characterization was great, the ep and the supplot were silly and pointless.

maybe it will and maybe it will be great, but the individual episodes and stories are all being sacrificed.

so why does the doc run off at the end of AGMG2W seemingly knowing where to find baby melody, when in this ep he hasnt and has no clue?

True they have just semend to have forgotten about the baby and also seems to a bit of a coensidents that amy friend just happend to be river whats did you think of that bit

well that was melody the killer needing to find the doc, thats how she did it via the ponds, her parents, but she had been brought up as a killer to kill the doc.

my issue is, future river, good river, in TIA has no clue who is in the spacesuit and is shocked when the spacesuit person kills the doc, why, its her!! according to this episode.

but I guess another big issue is, i want situation, baddies, evil the doctor must fight, i want time and space, and this is really just about 2 lovers with everything else as window dressing every week. now its good stuff but its not doctor who.

maybe I need to rewatch it. but I long for the days where the doc cant control the tardis, where they land in a situation and have to/ choose to help. to make a difference against evil in whatever form. little arcs spanning that are fine, but the series shouldnt be one massive arc, not in doctor who. imo

No mate, it was not just you...it really was a pile of old crap.

Season 5 was such a great start, I had such high hopes for 6. Maybe that's it, I was expecting the same standard for 6 as we got for 5. It is well below the standard of 5!

The lack-lustre X-Mas special should have been the first clue. I kid you not, I am only now still watching it for three reasons,

1) Matt Smith continues to be brilliant for most of the time, his throwaways are excellent, like the extractor fans..."ooh, that actually worked!" He is the backbone of the show and it's a bloody good job they have him.

2) Alex Kingston, a talented and damned sexy woman playing a really interesting character, and doing it with style and charisma.

3) Karen Gillan, a lovely young lady, struggling under the lack of emotional content for her character this season. She, like Arthur Darvill have - so far - not really been given much of anything to do...they are being wasted rather.

Am I the only one that saw the Mels twist coming? I felt it was all rather obvious and a bit forced...[sp]She is in it suddenly and without one previous mention in any preceeding episode, she has a name that is a shortened version of Melody, and she believes in the Doctor more than Amy does...seriously?[/sp]

No, sorry, not good at all.

do you have her timeline link

not off hand, someone (a fan) did one which helped make sense of it all (but before series 6 which I think has messed it around alot) but even with the timeline, it doesnt explain her reactions and action in series 5 with what we now know from series 6, even things within series 6, I hope they are all answered as its becoming very much like the moff has an overall masterplan but the details seem very much oooh wouldnt this be cool regardless if it doesnt make sense to what we have already seen

in this ep river quite happily addresses amy as mum yet in time of angels which is one of the last appearances we have seen her in her time period she barely acknowledges amy (and thats even before she asks the doc how early it is for him)

Great so they "revealed" river as the Astronaut and The Silence aren't really those dudes who I can't seem to remember but a religious cult.

I'm gonna be honest I absolutely loved the Dialogue and Karen I think it was an awesome episode except it did seem like they kinda skimmed across everything that wasn't River Song.

Great so they "revealed" river as the Astronaut and The Silence aren't really those dudes who I can't seem to remember but a religious cult.

I'm gonna be honest I absolutely loved the Dialogue and Karen I think it was an awesome episode except it did seem like they kinda skimmed across everything that wasn't River Song.

It's probably one of those things where seemingly throwaway lines turn out to have much greater significance as time goes on. Personally I loved the episode, particularly having attended the talks with Karen and with Alex at LFACC as I was noticing the things they'd alluded to without giving away spoilers!

Total opposite opinion to Timelord.

I hated Matt Smith's first season with a passion.

However, I've really enjoyed this series. The stories have been much better (apart from The Doctor's Wife), writing and acting has been better.

I'm loving the River Song story and think that Karen and Arthur are both brilliant. Really enjoyed Saturday's show.

It's probably one of those things where seemingly throwaway lines turn out to have much greater significance as time goes on. Personally I loved the episode, particularly having attended the talks with Karen and with Alex at LFACC as I was noticing the things they'd alluded to without giving away spoilers!

Karen and Alex having met them both in person and seen how sweet they are and them compared to their characters I absolutely love their acting. I gotta say the way Alex performed looked like great fun.

However, I've really enjoyed this series. The stories have been much better (apart from The Doctor's Wife), writing and acting has been better.

I'm loving the River Song story and think that Karen and Arthur are both brilliant. Really enjoyed Saturday's show.

How can you not love the way matt pulls of those awesome quotes no-one could pull of anything that funky.

hehe I liked the doctors wife ;-) and loved series 5.

stories? thats the issue, the last 2 eps especially the individual story has been lost (or just window dressing) to the river arc it feels.

Now I love river and her arc but not at the expense of the episodes. especially when her arc with every question answered makes whats happened in season 5 and early 6 not make sense. maybe all will be revealed and make sense but when we dont get episodes because of it, with who, that makes me upset. the justice robot thing (sub?) plot in lets kill hitler was total crap, alot of it made no sense, and why does everyone in the future have time travel? both that and regeneration are cheapened all the time in new who it seems.

but lets forget about classic for a sec, just new who, what happened to "its a bit dodgy this process, you never know what your gonna get" in series 1 making it more risky, dangerous, special to from series 4 onwards? regeneration became the get out of jail free card for so many deaths and now a person can acquire this gift/skill by just being born in the tardis, WTF?

this series especially, things are too easy, too flippant.

now dont get me wrong, I dont totally hate it (although it may sound that way lol) and its no where near as bad as next doctor or end of time. and I loved the impossible astronaut and really enjoyed the doctors wife, the almost ppl 2 parter was good but with flaws but a terrific cliffhanger, but its very annoying some of the arc. perhaps its specifically lets kill hitler? i dunno, will have to rewatch them.

and how many times are out leads gonna die and be resurrected? this takes away the suspense, and from the trailer it happens again next week?

now the episode title? what a load of crap, seemingly designed for one thing, to draw in the lazy casual viewer

i replied similar to this earlier today and much better I might add lol, but my internet connection was lost along with my reply :-(

p.s I also thought the acting from the guys playing germans in lets kill hitler was pretty bad

alex kingston was great thought, and I even liked mels! which alot of ppl seem not to

I only just got round to watching it and to be honest wasn't that impressed ;)

I didn't like Mels either, not sure if it was the character or the acting, maybe both.

Disappointing episode though, I was really looking forward to it :(

I enjoyed it, but maybe it's the female perspective, I prefer story arcs than just random episodes that seem to have no link to the past or future episodes.

For instance I loveeeed them showing Rose, Martha and Donna, I've always had an issue with the doctor regenerating and seeming like a 100% different person so I thought it was a nice touch.

• Moderators

Thought it was one of the best New-Who episodes they've ever done to be honest.

I'm not a fan who will pick apart every single little thing so the overall story arc is working really well for me. I've seen a lot of people criticise the show for now linking things too much and not catering for the casual viewer, but why should it?

I did read that the next series might be slightly more 'dip in, dip out' material, but I hope not. The pay offs in a series like this are far better when the story is twisted and turned and linked all the way through.

What would the world come to if ever me and David agreed ;-)

As a long term who fan, I prefer the more dip in and out as it were stories but with small arcs over a lost style arc,

Now I might accept the lost arc more if the sub plots were better, if revelations didn't bring into question stuff we already know ( sw prequel style baby lol) and if some things wernt so flippant

Saying all this I didn't hate it, which maybe is how I'm coming across, and ill take it any day over end of time, it jus really annoyed me,

Thought the justice robot subplot and ep title were lazy and seemed to be very aimed at the Casual x factor crowd lol

Thought the justice robot subplot and ep title were lazy and seemed to be very aimed at the Casual x factor crowd lol

Just wondering if you read Doctor Who Magazine? A few issues ago Stephen Moffat was talking about the need for what he described as "slutty" episode titles, precisely because he wanted to get casual viewers to watch the show.

I think series 6 has split fans, hard core classic fans are getting annoyed the individual adventures r being lost and that so many revelations bring into question facts and motivations we already know

The casual viewer is being put off but the massive arc

And the mainly new who fans who have been brought up on more arc orientated tv love it

I'm a bit of 1 and 3 as 1 is me but I do love arc tv, just bot so mug in DW, but I'm also v aware that the casual lazy audience is a vital part of keeping a show at the top, wether us fans like it or not, RTD for all his faults understood this, the moff wants more ppl to stay with it every week, fair enough, but will they? Remains to e seen, some reports say the show is loosing viewers, others say it isn't , I've not looked into it myself in detail

The series has been ok with some high points, not as good as last year, I just didn't like let's kill hitler, but I intend to give it another viewing this week

Just wondering if you read Doctor Who Magazine? A few issues ago Stephen Moffat was talking about the need for what he described as "slutty" episode titles, precisely because he wanted to get casual viewers to watch the show.

I dip in and out of DWM mainly cos it's so bloody expensive, no didn't see that, so I wa spot on lol