Your Views On Harry Potter Set!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I don't mean to stick my oar in and in no way mean to get at anyone at all. Though can see tiredness, exhaustion and comedown steering this into an area I don't think anyone really wants it to go. So.... whoah there step it back a little and let's highlight the points :)

I don't know how to quote properly so bear with me proably isnt entire appropriate for this dicussion anyway.

Just to say firstly before I put my opinion accross is that I saw the Harry Potter set, the website post and have seen film sets first hand.

Being able to see and touch film props from such a sucessful franchise is an exiting novelty and an experience most would enjoy.

In this case however the fact that some were expecting something else unfortunately overclouded that enjoyment, preventing them from having the experience they could or should have done. The picture on the main website, accompanying the write up was probably the main instigator for this. It is correct to say that there was no mention of that being what would be present, but having a picture of a lavish set next to a post informing people there would be a set present, leads those to put two and two together and build an expectation. Even those who may have previous experience of the show, or sets could of been blindsided by this. Perhaps a simple Harry Potter logo may of sufficed?

Then, once on the set there was nothing to promote the genuine props etc, in order to build back up, from the let down those who may of built a picture in their mind may have felt. Now I know, this I for one am quite dissapointed I didnt spend more time there. A sign, or some sort of write up on the set, or near the props, similar to that at an exhibition or museum may of added a bit more legitimacy to things.

Lastly however, it is fair to say that this is actually true indication of exactly what a real set looks like, including the layout. You could quite easily of filmed something their, exactly how it was, with authenticity - so in that sense bar the camera crew and cast it was 'real'.

I think people would feel very dissapointed should there not be anything like that done again, similarly I think they would be delighted should it be marketed properly :)

I'm not even a real HP fan but just wanted to chime in on this post and say that I think this was woreded perfectly I don't think there's any need to decide not to try this again but it would probably work better with constructive criticism like this taken into account.

I've no doubt that the cosplayers did enjoy the scene.. not necessarily because the light switched on.. 'it must be Potter-time!'Made a nice setting.. Different, but not one that shouted POTTER!

I agree. I was Madame Gorski from Sucker Punch and my Girlfriend was Rocket with Jerri-Kay as BabyDoll. At lunch-time I had to go and change into another costume for the masquerade so I left those two to walk around and I've now seen pictures someone took of them on the HP set. It actually looks great but not because it's HP, it went with their SP outfits too. lol

I also totally missed it the first day and when I walked past it sunday it looked like a dis-used corner with rubbish on the floor. That's pretty sad.

The venue ... fairly easily reached, but not particularly suitable for this type of event ...

Humour me - based on the size of the event and the number of attendees, what would you suggest would be a more suitable venue?

As for the hotel issue, it seemed to me that the issue was not that "the rooms hadn't been booked" (in the sense of nobody had got around to it) but that whilst a booking had been made, the hotel had managed to "unbook" it/not book it and had subsequently sold the rooms. Again my understanding was that as far as the event organisers were concerned, the rooms had been booked some considerable period in adavnce with options on others, only to find at six days out that rooms there were none. Now if you were under the impression that you had booked your rooms, two, three, six or eight months out, then frankly you don't need to give a toss about whatever superannuated boyband are playing that weekend, or that the Hampton Court Flower show is on. If, however, you suddenly find yourself having to book 150 rooms at less than a week's notice, then yes, the habits of horticultuiralists and 80s pop fans do suddenly become a problem. (It's also a problem I can understand; I was recently tasked with going to Paris for several days at very short notice. Had I booked a couple of months out, it would have been no problem. Trying to book a hotel room in Paris for the week of the Paris Air Show at about four days notice was hellish - there were very few rooms available at all, and all at stinking premiums - like €450 a night for a 2 star hotel.)

Not enough to keep you entertained, wow I am surprised!!!

I was there for the preview evening and until close on both days and I never ever stopped except for lunch or got bored by anything, and I still didn't get to do everything I had originally planned.

It's a shame you were disappointed, but I honestly can't see how you could complain there weren't enough exhibits etc, you had talks, photos, stunt shows, cosplay shows, origami, comic artists, authors, signings, even a big gaming section, the HP set wasn't as expected but it was still there.

I for one would like to know what you personally think was missing??? :poki:

I think it was a bold attempt to try something new, but must admit that I preferred seeing the old Ford Anglia a few years ago and much preferred taking pictures alongside that.

Having a backdrop/set for people to take photographs is a great idea and I don't necessarily think that you need to go to the expense of hiring 'screen seen/used' items provided it looks authentic.

You could put a model of Yoda on a tree stump and people would use it as a good photo opportunity - please don't give up on the idea entirely.

I actually really liked it. Yes, I can see why people might have been disappointed with it as the description on the website gave a different impression. But, I for one, loved it.

It gave something interesting to look at and wander around. You got to handle props that were handled by the actors giving a feel for what it might have been like on set.

I had a great time taking pics with my friends who were also in Harry Potter costumes. Got some excellent shots posing in character (I was the Lucius on the Sat). It did come alive a little while I was there as there were quite a few in costume. It certainly gave something extra to the day.

My only niggle was the lighting. It was a struggle to get decent shots (they all came out really dark for my friends). It took several attempts to get the right light balance and my battle shots with my friend as Tonks didn't turn out at all.

I wouldn't say dismiss the idea of similar set ups like this in the future. I do like the idea. Maybe consider how it is presented on the website.

I would like to thank SM/Jason for arranging this as it did add to my day. It gave us a change to have some great background to some of our photos. It was a nice addition to the event. B)

For me it was hard to find. Whenever I headed over that way it was busy because of the DeLorean photoshoot op.

When I did finally locate it, there were people sat at the table eating MacDonalds, working on laptops etc. and there were a lot of them. The crewmember was stood by a pillar doing nothing!

I agree with the poster who said place the HP guests nearer. That would have worked well, as would a big sign stating where it was!

Maybe controlled entry (with a reliable crewmember) would work. I understand why you would like to have it as open access, but some people take the mick!

For me it was hard to find. Whenever I headed over that way it was busy because of the DeLorean photoshoot op.

When I did finally locate it, there were people sat at the table eating MacDonalds, working on laptops etc. and there were a lot of them. The crewmember was stood by a pillar doing nothing!

I agree with the poster who said place the HP guests nearer. That would have worked well, as would a big sign stating where it was!

Maybe controlled entry (with a reliable crewmember) would work. I understand why you would like to have it as open access, but some people take the mick!

I am surprised that people were allowed to eat there. I was amazing there wasn't more control on that. When I went there no one was there eating but we did it very early on Sat.

Definitely would have been cool to have the Harry Potter guests nearer to it.

Expectation is everything here, I think.

When people hear the words "Film Set" I am sure that they automatically assume "The 007 stage at Pinewood"

Jason, it was not a bad idea at all. It was actually a very good one, seeing as the HP saga is now coming to a close. Sadly the execution of it was rather lacking.

Instead of 'film set' as a descrpition, it so easily could have been 'HP fans can interact with a large collection of on-screen-used props and furniture for the Potter films'

Like I said...not a bad idea, it just needs a bit of a rethink regarding presentation and description, that's all. The same kind of thing next time would not be bad, anything to bring more people to the show can only be a good thing, but the implementation needs a bit of a turbo boost.

I thought it was a good new idea, a nice oppurtunity to get a background for photos, although it was ruined a bit by, as people have said, people eating their lunch and lounging about in there. Because of the size of it, it was easily cluttered up. That let it down somewhat but that was probably due to the staff working in there at the time. Apart from that it was different and something my friends and I enjoyed- when we could get in there :)

Edited by TWolf

When people hear the words "Film Set" I am sure that they automatically assume "The 007 stage at Pinewood"

Actually, if I had heard that I would have expected very little, considering how empty the stage was when I was there two years ago! ^_^