Your Views On Harry Potter Set!

• Showmasters Admin

ok we will not bother doing something like this again then .

they were all screen used props that the actors from the film used and thats it , but it costs money to hire them get them there and time to display them

and it cost you all nothing at all it was fee , but you do not care so we will not bother again .

odd i did see people in costume having photos taken so some people must have thought is was a nice thing ??

as to building Hogwarts we never said thats what was going to be on display and lets get a bit real here , and if you want that you best go to Disneyland.

jason :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were all screen used props that the actors from the film used and thats it , but it costs money to hire them get them there and time to display them

and it cost you all nothing at all it was fee , but you do not care so we will not bother again .

odd i did see people in costume having photos taken so some people must have thought is was a nice thing ??

as to building Hogwarts we never said thats what was going to be on display and lets get a bit real here , and if you want that you best go to Disneyland.

jason :thumbup:

I think people were expecting a realistic film set, like one you would see on screen. That's at least what I expected when I read this:

For the first time ever we are bringing the set of the movies to LFCC! Step into Hogwarts

Right I don't mean to stick my oar in and in no way mean to get at anyone at all. Though can see tiredness, exhaustion and comedown steering this into an area I don't think anyone really wants it to go. So.... whoah there step it back a little and let's highlight the points :)

I don't know how to quote properly so bear with me proably isnt entire appropriate for this dicussion anyway.

Just to say firstly before I put my opinion accross is that I saw the Harry Potter set, the website post and have seen film sets first hand.

Being able to see and touch film props from such a sucessful franchise is an exiting novelty and an experience most would enjoy.

In this case however the fact that some were expecting something else unfortunately overclouded that enjoyment, preventing them from having the experience they could or should have done. The picture on the main website, accompanying the write up was probably the main instigator for this. It is correct to say that there was no mention of that being what would be present, but having a picture of a lavish set next to a post informing people there would be a set present, leads those to put two and two together and build an expectation. Even those who may have previous experience of the show, or sets could of been blindsided by this. Perhaps a simple Harry Potter logo may of sufficed?

Then, once on the set there was nothing to promote the genuine props etc, in order to build back up, from the let down those who may of built a picture in their mind may have felt. Now I know, this I for one am quite dissapointed I didnt spend more time there. A sign, or some sort of write up on the set, or near the props, similar to that at an exhibition or museum may of added a bit more legitimacy to things.

Lastly however, it is fair to say that this is actually true indication of exactly what a real set looks like, including the layout. You could quite easily of filmed something their, exactly how it was, with authenticity - so in that sense bar the camera crew and cast it was 'real'.

I think people would feel very dissapointed should there not be anything like that done again, similarly I think they would be delighted should it be marketed properly :)

Edited by MissSullivan

jason ;)

Jason

We were up in that area of the hall most of the day and there were constantly people going through the area and taking pictures, many Harry Potter fans had their pics taken there or were hanging around in there and having some fun. I wouldn't knock the idea on the head just yet, perhaps it just needs a re think as to what you do and how to promote it. I think the picture on the website might have given the impression to some that they would be in the Banqueting Hall at Hogwarts , so expectaitons need to be managed in what can be an excellent addition to a future show. If you go for Harry Potter again, why not situate the Harry Potter guests near the display as well and you could even do photo shoots there ?

The set was actually pretty much what I thought it would be. What did spoil it for us was the fact that people were using it as a cafeteria!! We couldn't get anywhere near the tables for people sat on and around it, eating, drinking and looking at purchases. I know there weren't many places to sit but that wasn't what the props were there for and completely prevented us getting decent pictures.

"All those thinking they're so great because they've been on a film set"

I don't think anyone thinks they are great for having been to somebodys place of work. Though in my case I was merely pointing out that (apart from when you are on location of course) is a fairly good replica of what a built set actually looks like in most cases.

I think from what I understand it is probably fair to say that that the main points are that some people feel dissapointed with the promotions, though similarly would not want this or similar features to be excluded from future events.

I think that it's a nice thing to have but based solely on what was included in its promotion in the lead up to the event, it created an expectation on what the set would be like.

The wording and picture used in its promotion at least indicated to me that it would be a proper film set. So I can see why people would be a little disappointed.

I think that in the future that it should be made more clear in the promotions exactly what something like this will be like.

Edited by Tanith

• Moderators

Must admit I'm surprised at how much people expected. I didn't think for a second that they'd have that much in the venue, it just didn't seem logistically possible.

I saw a lot of people enjoying it, but I can understand why some may have taken what was said initially in the wrong way.

I saw a lot of people enjoying it, but I can understand why some may have taken what was said initially in the wrong way.

You have hit the nail on the head, I think it was down to expectations. Many people enjoyed it during the day and it was a great addition to the show. David, I think you should make sure Jason doesn't misunderstand what people are saying about it.

As I mentioned earlier why not place the set by the actors from the film and use it for the photo shoots as well. Part could be photo shoots only and part for people to look round ?

jason :headscratch:

Woah! No need for that. No-one came out and said "omg that was rubbish why bother?". If you read it's only the way it was advertised that has bothered people. I certainly wasn't expecting anything huge or like what you might find at Harry Potter world, I am not naive, however as others have mentioned the particular set and items used did look pretty generic.

Of course people thought it was a nice thing, there's no need to get sarcastic and stroppy. More people enjoyed it than those who were let down so I wouldn't worry over it.

As people have said; I think having little descriptions of what each item is, where it came from, what film it was in and maybe an accompanying photograph would of benefited it greatly.

Although I don't go for photoshoots, I do believe the suggestion of that idea was very good and would of made HP guests very happy.

Edited by ClockworkOwen18

I was a bit disappointed with the Harry Potter set.

Although, at one point there was a group of Harry Potter cosplayers in there that made it look a bit more wizard like!

But it was tucked away in a corner and there was a bit of a rubbish on the floor where people had dropped things, which was a shame because it just looked a bit last minute and forgotten about!

Nice try though :)

if you want to be totally obsessive about it i can find screen grabs of all the props if you want? no bother to me will take me a few hours but im more than happy to do it for you , stop complaining i thought it was great, the thing about film sets you see is 70% of what you see is FAKE! were you expecting real oak tables and chairs and real antique books?

my only gripe with it is after being told repetivly on sat and sunday that we could'nt sit on the table because of my above point ( it was made out of painted 2*4) in the mad rush for the photos everyone was sat on it and the member of crew quite frankly didn't care

I enjoyed it and having seen the set first hand i know how good a representation it was of the actual working set ..

thanks jason

To be honest I missed it the first few times I walked past, and then when I finally twigged what it was I couldn't get near it because it was being treated as a cafeteria/picnic bench, if it really was all genuine stuff from the films then I was very surprised with the lack of respect it was being treat with and the lack of someone official near it to stop all his from happening!!!!!

I agree with whoever it was on here earlier that said about maybe having the HP guests near it and doing the photos with the set because that would look fantastic and give the set a bit more kudos I think judging from what some people on here have commented about it!!!!

To be honest I missed it the first few times I walked past, and then when I finally twigged what it was I couldn't get near it because it was being treated as a cafeteria/picnic bench, if it really was all genuine stuff from the films then I was very surprised with the lack of respect it was being treat with and the lack of someone official near it to stop all his from happening!!!!!

I agree with whoever it was on here earlier that said about maybe having the HP guests near it and doing the photos with the set because that would look fantastic and give the set a bit more kudos I think judging from what some people on here have commented about it!!!!

the guy that was on there on Sunday morning was really good, i don't know him but he was doing a fantastic job of getting people not to abuse the stuff and explaining how the stuff was built. it was a different person on in the after noon he really didn't care

Perhaps I saw it at a bad time because I think it was later on Sunday, and can't even remember seeing a crew member there.

I really appreciate the effort that went into it, and if other people were getting better treatment by the mentioned crew member then I'm sure it would of been ace!

People were eating in there? That surprises me, I thought a crew member was supposed to be keeping an eye on it. If they were actual items from the films I wouldn't want food, rubbish and grubby hands on them!

On sunday people were just using it as a general sitting area, when loads of us had to fill out photo collection forms we used the table to rest out while we filled out our form lol. I think i only ever saw one person have their photo taken in there all day on the sunday