Latest News On This Event

showmasters

I wonder if the apparent lack of interest before in Housebroken was because it was due to be happening on the same weekend as another event? A case of bad timing rather than anything else?

I can only speak for myself here, but I'd arranged to go there before I found out about Housebroken so I didn't really have any option other than to pass on Housebroken that time. Given the chance, I'll absolutely be there next time.

*edited*

Sorry but we're not allowed to discuss other events on here. Thank you.

In the words of someone far smarter than me... d'oh! Glaringly obvious when I think about it. I'm going to take my n00b-ness away and hide.

Edited by mirasol

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

I wonder if the apparent lack of interest before in Housebroken was because it was due to be happening on the same weekend as another event? A case of bad timing rather than anything else?

I can only speak for myself here, but I'd arranged to go there before I found out about Housebroken so I didn't really have any option other than to pass on Housebroken that time. Given the chance, I'll absolutely be there next time.

*edited*

Sorry but we're not allowed to discuss other events on here. Thank you.

Just wanted to say that I totally agree with this comment. I think a lot of people would have been put off (myself included) by the fact it was running against another event which no amount of advertising could really compete with given who was running that event.

Hopefully if there was one set up for later in the year then a lot more people would be able and would want to attend. As I said before I think that there is a large want for a being human convention, but timing last year was bad.

This isn't meant to be a dig at anyone or anything, just giving my opinion.

Just think people... in 10/15 years time these will be the types that turn up to the opening of an envelope because the career has gone down the pan after the SN/ VD series have ended and no one wants them because they are to familiar to be seen in any other role.

Considering what they get paid per episode it just smacks of "taking the ****". I mean...is it such a hard life that they can only work for 3 hours a day....ahh didums.

Plus 8 hours each way flying, another 2-3 at airports - without any delays. It's not like poping down the motorway for an afternoon.

How they wish to spend their spare time is their business. Sci-Fi fans have amazing access to some of thier stars. Maybe the TV horror genre considers itself more mainstream than Sci-Fi. Even then just think of the actors and actresses who've never graced us with the presence. Even after their show ends. Half the cast of Lost, Buffy, for example.

Not sure if this is a "have a go at elulla" or not Cuz i can not see how this relates to the quote bit.

I just know that if i was in the same position as some of the top stars i would do signing events for free.

I can imagine it does take a huge toll, the whole weekend of doing th con after flyinging over from LA or anywhere in the States and then having to adjust to our time zone and be the life and soul of the party for all of us attendees.

I know when I venture further afield than Europe it's a massive adjustment to the new time zone - even when you are relaxing on your hols :) I went to Toronto with work for 5 days last year and I was wiped out from it.

Anyway.... I digress... Being Human Con - pretty please :) xx

xx

I wasn't planning to attend this con (have too many ones I want to attend this year already), but thank you for being so honest with us.

As others have posted I'd like a Being Human con, as someone already posted maybe a small con like the Twi Proms? I didn't know Being Human when you announced House Broken but now I love it.

Its been a very long while since I appeared at any convention, as severe lack of funds make any convention unaffordable. But I accept that certain pricing is inevitable to cover costs. However I do expect two things whn it comes to pricing. 1) That the organisers never milk the convention goers (profiteering is never a good thing). 2) That guests don't try and bleed organisers dry and by extension the fans.

I accept that for the guests these are paid gigs and are for want of a better word, work for them and I guess they want a fair return for services rendered but ther eis fair and then there is taking the mik=ckey and what the actors here were doing was most assuredly taking the mickey, big time.

I am also rather uncomfortable with this whole "we don't care how much it costs cos we could afford it" attitude. The lasty thing any sane person should want is for conventions to become the pastime of the rich and well-to-do rather than accessible to all within reason. If people want specific guests at conventions I understand that, but that must come with the assurance that neither the guest nor the organisers are taking the mick. if they are, then the price is too high, regardless of whether or not certain individuals can pay the cost or not. Conventions should never have the stench of privilege and exclusivity about them.

There seems to be quite a few people who would want a BH con now, although obviously it would be a risk since they only sold 29 tickets over the seven months the last (cancelled) event was on sale. That said, from comments a number of people seem to have been unavailable last time or not really been aware of the show at the time. Given that the show is now more high-profile, and since BH was cancelled there has been a second and now a third series (the viewing figures for which are nearly double the first series), maybe it would attract more ticket sales.

Might make for an interesting two-question poll, either here or on General Chat

1. Would you buy a ticket for a Being Human con?

* Yes

* No

2. So why didn't you buy a ticket for Housebroken (the last ME Being Human con planeed for early 2010), but would now?

* Didn't really know about Being Human last time

* Wasn't into Being Human as much then as I am now

* It clashed with something else in my diary

* Couldn't afford it then, but could now

* Had only just recently met all the actors elsewhere, but I'd love to meet them now for an update

* Other (feel free to explain below)

* I wouldn't buy a ticket now either

* Actually I did buy a ticket for Housebroken last time

(Given the way multi-question polls work on here, where everyone has to answer both questions, I had to put in answers to the second question for people who did buy tickets last time, or for people who still wouldn't be interested this).

Just an idea if somebody wants to take it or something similar forward....

I know what you mean.

Sadly, the only problem with polls is that people that are not intending to go still vote in the poll, so it sadly doesnt give a clear picture :D

I love Being Human, but went to Chevron last year instead. So as you say, if dates clash or two cons of shows you would like in the same month, even fans have to choose. :D

I hope one day there can be a Being Human con cos I think it would be amazing :D

Regarding SPN guests, at a push, we can see why these guests may not be doable financially.

However we were rather surprised to hear of these supposed costings/limitations as regards to TVD cast. To our knowledge, all 3 leads have technically been secured for whole weekend cons without any form of reduced working hours or limited numbers in con activities. Yes, photos may have been slightly higher in price but nothing vastly different to the average costings of a big name guest. From what we can recall, the cost of a single photo with each of TVD leads at other events was only £10 more that what was being charged for James Marsters at Hallwhedon 1, which TBH, isn't too bad considering your talking about a lead from a current hit US show.

We are very disappointed but, like mentioned so many times before, we're not privy to the in's & out's of the con business and as there are two sides to every story, we're not gunna judge these actors too harshly. After all, despite the fact that they maybe higher in cost, they don't actually have to do these cons at all.

Now when it comes to BH and the running of a new Housebroken event, we would WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, be there with bells on preferably with GOLD tickets. :D At the time of the first HB con, we weren't yet familiar with the fantastic, awesomeness that is Being Human :D . So to have the chance to meet the stars again in the great, relaxed atmosphere of a weekend con would be amazing :D .

Its very upsetting what has happened with RH2 but given the demand & support behind a new HB event, perhaps it would sweeten the bitter taste of this cancellation ;)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...if you bring us this event, we WILL come!!! ;)

• Moderators

There is one other huge issue with a BH convention. The biggest draw cast wise would almost certainly be unavailable, due to shooting a certain little film in New Zealand.

Not necessarily. Depends when you run the convention...

There seems to be quite a few people who would want a BH con now, although obviously it would be a risk since they only sold 29 tickets over the seven months the last (cancelled) event was on sale. That said, from comments a number of people seem to have been unavailable last time or not really been aware of the show at the time. Given that the show is now more high-profile, and since BH was cancelled there has been a second and now a third series (the viewing figures for which are nearly double the first series), maybe it would attract more ticket sales.

Might make for an interesting two-question poll, either here or on General Chat

1. Would you buy a ticket for a Being Human con?

* Yes

* No

2. So why didn't you buy a ticket for Housebroken (the last ME Being Human con planeed for early 2010), but would now?

* Didn't really know about Being Human last time

* Wasn't into Being Human as much then as I am now

* It clashed with something else in my diary

* Couldn't afford it then, but could now

* Had only just recently met all the actors elsewhere, but I'd love to meet them now for an update

* Other (feel free to explain below)

I wouldn't buy a ticket now either

* Actually I did buy a ticket for Housebroken last time

(Given the way multi-question polls work on here, where everyone has to answer both questions, I had to put in answers to the second question for people who did buy tickets last time, or for people who still wouldn't be interested this).

Just an idea if somebody wants to take it or something similar forward....

Answers

1 YES

2 I did ....GOLD.

And i would buy gold again.

There are so many great characters in this series that i think even if Adian was unavailable...( drawf..my giddy aunt )...now its more well known it could sell.

Some how i find it hard to believe only 27 tickets were sold... :D

• Moderators

It's so tricky because people all over the place were excited about it last time. I saw WAY more people saying they'd go to a BH con than bought tickets last time. I don't think ME should take the risk again to be honest, even though I'd love to go to one. It's not enough to have a few people in a topic saying they'd go.

As long as we're guaranteed them at signing events, I would rather take that and actually get to meet them than another cancelled con and disappointment.

There is one other huge issue with a BH convention. The biggest draw cast wise would almost certainly be unavailable, due to shooting a certain little film in New Zealand.

Not necessarily. Depends when you run the convention...

True, but I don't think he's going to be available at all in 2011

Answers

1 YES

2 I did ....GOLD.

And i would buy gold again.

There are so many great characters in this series that i think even if Adian was unavailable...( drawf..my giddy aunt )...now its more well known it could sell.

Some how i find it hard to believe only 27 tickets were sold... :D

1. Yes

2. I did

Without Aidan, I don't think it will sell enough to be viable.

on a personal note i do feel very strongly about value for money and i also can see that its a slippery slope on the price front , and i take a very strong front on this .

i think that everyone can see from the signing events to the cons we take a stand and hold the prices down .

very rarely do we allow guest to put up there prices and this only happens when they have done more films or TV which warrants a higher price .

in the past we have had one or two guest prices go up but this is really only one or two of them and its been the case that its been a deal breaker and we have wanted to get this guest to attend .

some events now charge £15 of guests that we charge £10 and £20 for guests we charge £15 if you look you will see we really do keep the prices fair for the collectors and fans

people that booked the con hotel will get a full refund as that is agreed by us and the hotel to protect you all , thats why are ask you to book into the the con hotel as you are protected that way .

one last thing thank you all for understanding about the even having to be cancelled and being so cool about it , its a hard think to do as ne do not ever want to upset you or make people unhappy .

jason :D

i know you dont like us talking about other cons but i have to say, i prefer to attend SM events-there are no hidden "extras". i have attended other cons that even tho the autographs are included, there are no photos supplied in the pack and the one personal item i have brought, i have been told on many occasions that the guest wont sign it,so then it costs £10 for a photo (making signing "not free") and if new guests are announced really late then photos have to be bought anyway.

i much prefer to know how much its gonna cost and this is always the case with SM. like others i am dissappointed that this event has been cancelled-but all i do is remember the alternative and that there is always other SM cons they can invite guest too.

sorry if i went on a bit

next con for me will be the hub

cya there

• Showmasters Admin

No its the same deal.

As to cast of Vampire diaries they have put up the price in the last few weeks and also limited what they will be doing for that money , so we will see if any of the main case do still do events in 2011 in the UK ?

I do feel that costs of guests really need to stay fair for everyone, because if guest prices go too high then it kills cons that could of happened. Also when a con is started up for the first time the TV shows are often new as well and the fanbase needs to grow with it and if the guests ask for too much from the start there will just be no con in the first place. I do feel some agents and guests just do not understand this but also some organisers are not reasonable and don't stick to offering a fair price for a guest. I know that some organisers have to sell tickets for future events just to pay for the losses on their next event, because the event will just not bring in the income they need to pay the bills for the show. We do not do this, we have the money needed to cover all our events as it's not our money, it's yours, and we do not risk your money. It has become very worrying of late were we know this is happening and when some smaller con organisers put up tickets for the same themed con for the next 2 cons and then they also add a european date to help bring in the extra income to cover the cost sometimes of there last event B) The issue is one day they will just not have the money to cover the next event , it is crazy but I know others cons do this.

I will not name names but one cast member that was in a big TV show and (is not in one of these shows) we have worked with before and the costs for this guest to attend another one of our shows is now asking 3 times what it cost last time and this is down to another organiser offering 3 times the amount so they are the only ones that can get him , well they can have him , I cannot make that work at a price that's fair for the fans that attend our events.

We respect you the fans and would not risk trying anything like this , we also feel it's important to keep the con price down so that everyone can afford to attend not just people with lots of money , and we also want to give good value for money with no hidden costs. We think that this is the right way forward for you the fans and for the future of cons in the UK.

One last thing, we do not have this issue with many of the guests from other Films & TV shows it just seems to be these two shows and that probably down to other organisers not really thinking it through and not looking at the bigger picture. Also not understanding that they are creating their own down fall when they keep offering more and more money or agreeing to pay more money every time the agents ask for more. I also know some organisers agree to pay this price to stop the guests attending other events , so in the end the fans have to pay for this and it just stops lots more fans from seeing some guests at a fair price .

We will do our best and in the future we may get some of the main cast members from Supernatural and Vampire Diaries to our events.

Thank you for reading all this,

Jason

Hi Jason, very interesting reading your posts about this in the last few days. Really insightful to get to know the workings of the business.

Can I ask, did the high fee thing apply to Lost actors? Always seemed strange that there was such a large cast, and so little have done events, especially after Lockdown, when you said that you had built a good rapport with the agents/cast.

• Moderators

I've always heard a lot of the cast were very expensive to get, even around the time of Lockdown etc. Obviously no specifics but that's certainly one of the reasons I've sadly never had high hopes for them appearing anywhere.