Space Shuttle astronauts

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Shuttle astronauts we think that its time to start getting them over

the operational flights beginning in 1982 for the Shuttle program and i think there is some really interesting people to meet from the Program .

i also feel that some of the crews are getting older and its time to start to get them over as guest , now i know not as many of you care about this Nasa program than say the Apollo Program , but its all coming to an end very soon and its all becoming part of history , i know that i care and i want to meet as many of the crews as i can .

the astronauts i have meet from this program are all very interesting people and quite humble people and i have to say they do not expect as much as the Apollo guys as they are not as old and need less to get here with flights etc , so as for what they will cost for there autos will be much less and in fact i think that because we are starting to meet these astronauts early we are going to be a great price for the autographs.

the apollo crews in the early year used to charge a lot less but as time went on the costs for there autos went up and up as more people wanted to have there autos and also investors also saw that its a good thing to buy into for the future , but looking at the Shuttle missions i do feel that some will be looked upon as really great missions and i also know people now that are trying to collect all the crews which is very hard , there are astronauts that are rare and some that are more common and lots are going on to other things in there life's just like the Apollo crews did , so i think its now time to start collecting and meeting these astronauts and in years to come the collections of autographs you will have will be quite amazing and a great investment if thats why you buy autos .

i have just bought some shuttle parts that i am going to start to get signed and when i have 20 to 30 autos on it its going to look amazing and i think most autos would only cost between £15 to £45 for some of the bigger names at this time so i think its worth starting now .

also there are some astronauts that cross over from Apollo to Space Shuttle program so for these guest now is the time to get them on what every you are collecting these autos on , the thing is because we are used to meeting the Apollo guest each year we forget that they are not getting any younger and we do forget that they to have an important part to play in the Shuttle program , also we forget that some of the Shuttle program crew are also getting older so we think now is the time to just go for it .

let me know your thoughts on this and if we can get more interest in the Shuttle program crews we will go out of our way to start to get these amazing people to Autographica

if you feel that there are astronauts from the Shuttle program we should start with first please let us know on here , and maybe you could tell us why you think a particular astronauts should attend Autographica as this will help us all get to know there work better and help us all understand all the amazing things the Shuttle program achieved over the years

i look forward to hearing your thoughts on this .

Jason :D

space_shuttle_11.jpg

Space_Shuttle_Bay_Wallpaper_70m0x.jpg

space-shuttle-atlantis-1152x864.jpg

looking at these image i am quite excited about this i hope you are too ;)

jason

I'll be quite honest and say that the Shuttle era doesn't quite capture my imagination in the same way as the MGA era. If it came to a choice between two Apollo era astronauts and four or five shuttle era astronauts then I would choose the two Apollo era. It's no disrespect to the Shuttle astronauts but I think there is generally more interest out there in the moon landings and the missions that led up to them.

That's not to say of course that there are no shuttle astronauts I would like to see, and some would be very popular. Bruce McCandless was pretty busy when he was over last time and I'm sure someone like Bob Crippen or Story Musgrave would have no shortage of takers (although I'm not sure if either does signings).

I suppose my overiding thing with the MGA era is none of that group are getting any younger so if we are going to meet them now is the time. Sadly over the coming years there numbers will inevitably get smaller so I would prefer that we have every oppourtunity to meet them while we can.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to throw in some shuttle astronauts with those from the MGA era but I would prefer not to see Shuttle astronauts attend at the expense of the earlier astronauts.

This whole question has frightened me a little.

As I agree with Count, we can’t lose focus on the Apollo program, and the moon walkers.

The window of opportunity to get them over is getting smaller and smaller, show by show.

id like to see as many space guests as poss BUT!!!! not at the espense of the apollo era and earlier, the apollo and mercury era interests me the most, get them im there, shuttle id like to meet but alone wont get me to a con like the apollo and mercury guys will

I think any space guests are brilliant and would meet anyone from any era of Nasa,

I do think that while we can we should always try for Apollo guests, not because they are better, just because pretty soon we may lose the opportunity.

I always trust SM to get the best guests available

JA

As MGA astronauts age and diminish we are going to have a shift of emphasis to Shuttle. I can easily be excited by the prospect of meeting Shuttle astronauts and having some wonderful photographs signed by them.

As I have said in another thread:

Turning attention to Shuttle astronauts, some who are no longer on active service and therefore theoretically available:

Eileen Collins

Pam Melroy

Kathryn Sullivan

Kathryn Thornton (signing at ASF Show in November)

Bonnie Dunbar

Rhea Seddon (signing at ASF Show in November)

Bruce McCandless would be a welcome return astronaut.

As someone who flies over from Ireland just to meet the space guests,I thought I would give my input here.

I'm not sure whether by posting this you guys intend to make some upcoming shows with astronauts all shuttle-era guys,or whether you intend to mix it up between a few MGA astros and some shuttle ones - but in my opinion,I think getting rid of the MGA astronauts entirely would be a big mistake and would significantly damage the show's income from space fans.

With all due respect to the shuttle guys,the big draw for me,and indeed many space nuts are the Mercury,Gemini,Apollo & Skylab astronauts,as they were the pioneers of American spaceflight. They aren't getting any younger and while the majority of older shuttle astros are themselves in their late-sixties or so,I think we should get as many of the MGA guys over while we still have the chance. For example if you had the likes of Dave Scott,Gene Cernan,Ed Mitchell,Alan Bean or Jim Lovell (to name but a few) over at Autographica in April the show would be extremely successful from a space standpoint,and combine that with a couple of Hollywood greats like Dick Van Dyke or Ernest Borgnine and you've got yourself a show to be proud of (and indeed one that would certainly pull in the punters!)

Now don't get me wrong,there are a few shuttle astronauts who would certainly interest me - namely the likes of Bob Crippen,Bruce McCandless,Hoot Gibson,Eileen Collins,Story Musgrave & Sally Ride and I would certainly encourage you guys to slowly bring the odd shuttle astronaut over - all I'm saying is if you have the oppurtunity to book some of the MGA guys,don't sacrifice it for a whole bunch of shuttle astronauts just yet - there's still plenty of time for that,but sadly our time for meeting Moonwalkers etc is coming to an end so I hope you (Dave,Jason & Paul) can keep bringing them over.

So,in a nutshell,I'd like some big MGA names as the bulk of my pie,with a couple of shuttle astronauts sprinkled here and there as the cherry on top!

Regards,Shane. :smile:

jason we would all love to meet more astronauts from whatever era, but please you must keep bringing the mercury, gemmini and apollo era guys, this is a must! please dont stop, they should be a priority, ive only been to 1 show, I dont want to never be able to meet them! please.

Sure, don't hesitate to invite shuttle astronauts... As some of you want too see MGA astronauts, so, don't hésitate to invite John Young (Gemini, Apollo, Moonwalker and 1st shuttle commander) by example, and all space guests you want. 2011 is the 30th anniversary of Shuttle and year of the last shuttle flight... In september, Bruce Melnick was wonderful. And don't hesitate to invite european space guests (sure some on them would be accept to come) and of course, more cosmonauts...

I agree with most of what's been said here showmasters - that it'd be really cool to meet up with shuttle astro's, but the MGA guys are such a small (and lets face it, elderly) group now that it feels like we've got to grab the chance to see them whilst we still can. For example, and being blunt, when Ed is no longer with us, there's no more Apollo 14, same with Walt for 7. I'd like all the stops pulled out for one last big MGA show. You guys have made it possible for me to meet some real heroes of mine with the Apollo program, I'll always be grateful for that, so please keep it going as long as you can.

• Showmasters Admin

hi all its good to see so many people talking on here and its dose get a little quiet on here from time to time :D

ok now one said at any time that we would stop bringing over mercury, gemmini and apollo as there are still members of these crews that we have not been able to meet yet at Autographica so we are still trying to bring them to you .

but i also think its time to look at Shuttle astronauts too , and we all have to understand that yes we can bring the odd classic NASA guests over when we can get them but that will not be enough to put on a show we will need to bring in more NASA guests to make it interesting to more people and help build the numbers of people interested in coming to the show , we cannot rely on one Apollo guest attending and also many of you are not happy when its a guest we have had before and some times its not posable to get a rare guest at each event , so this should be the way forward .

one last thing to remember is the crews of the Space Shuttle are also getting older and it will not be long before we all start saying we should have started sooner ? so these are very interested people and i for one would love to meet some of these amazing people .

jason :D

I think that if you are looking to bring a mixture of Shuttle and MGA astronauts to future shows then it would work well. There are plenty of Shuttle astronauts, such as the ones mentioned in this thread who would probably draw a decent crowd in.

I can see it must be getting harder to secure appearances from first time MGA astronauts, after all I don't think there's many who regularly appear on the signing circuit who haven't been at Autographica at least once over the last few years.

Maybe the next show will be the one I finally start the multi signed Shuttle photo that I've been thinking about doing for such a long time!

With due respect: the opinions of people with no interest or knowledge of the space program is as irrelevant as my opinion on Bond film or Dr Who extras: I hope Jason & Dave will take greater notice of the hardcore Space-only attendess in this matter. After all, you don't find us moaning on about Mickey Rooney or Joan Collin's signing fees / approachability etc.

I reckon all TRUE space fans would jump at the chance to meet Shuttle crews while the opportunity still exists. There''re only two Mercury Astronauts left, only one of whom is a possible, but has attended on numerous occasions. Of the ten surviving Gemini crew members, six have already attended, the other four (Young, Armstrong, Borman and Collins) are non-starters. As for Apollo, well again, it's doubtful we'll see Borman, Armstrong, Schmitt, Anders, Collins, Young etc etc. Obviously it'd be great to see ANY of the MGA astronauts (I missed Schweickart and Gordon early on!) but we have to support Showmasters with REALISTIC guest suggestions. Just my opinion....

With due respect: the opinions of people with no interest or knowledge of the space program is as irrelevant as my opinion on Bond film or Dr Who extras: I hope Jason & Dave will take greater notice of the hardcore Space-only attendess in this matter. After all, you don't find us moaning on about Mickey Rooney or Joan Collin's signing fees / approachability etc.

I reckon all TRUE space fans would jump at the chance to meet Shuttle crews while the opportunity still exists. There''re only two Mercury Astronauts left, only one of whom is a possible, but has attended on numerous occasions. Of the ten surviving Gemini crew members, six have already attended, the other four (Young, Armstrong, Borman and Collins) are non-starters. As for Apollo, well again, it's doubtful we'll see Borman, Armstrong, Schmitt, Anders, Collins, Young etc etc. Obviously it'd be great to see ANY of the MGA astronauts (I missed Schweickart and Gordon early on!) but we have to support Showmasters with REALISTIC guest suggestions. Just my opinion....

Very well spoken, shearwater. I absolutely endorse all that you have said here.

I broadly agree but it's worth making the distinction between wanting to meet someone and paying for a signature. I'd be more than happy to meet anyone who has flown in space and would gladly go to a talk. Whether I would pay for a signature from all of them is a different matter though, and after all that is the name of the game with a show like this.

I would love to see astronauts involved in the Shuttle program, yes by all means if you can still bring over MGA astronauts but even then there were quite a few from Groups 4,5,6 and 7 and of course dont forget TFNGs selected in 1978 it would be great to meet some of them.

Mike Mullane and Story Musgrave are among my favourites.