Lining up for talks

I have a question regarding the paid and free talks - how does lining up for them work?

I know that for the paid talks I will have my ticket with a number and that for the free talks, I'll be getting a virtual ticket on the morning of the talk.

But, say, I have ticket number 10 on a free talk but am late due to coming from a photo shoot - will I be allowed to pass by the queued people with higher numbers than me and slip in before them? (I'll be having that issue with the Shatner photo shoot on Sunday at 2pm and the Bob Anderson talk starting at 2:10pm - I won't be able to queue for Anderson before my Shatner shoot is over)

So far, I've only seen questions regarding 2 paid-for events overlapping - I would like to know if the free talks will be given a similar 'priority' as the paid-for ones :)

But, say, I have ticket number 10 on a free talk but am late due to coming from a photo shoot - will I be allowed to pass by the queued people with higher numbers than me and slip in before them?

No - the ticket numbers for free talks are just so they can see how many have been handed out. It's 'first come, first served' when you get the tickets, and the same again when it comes to the queuing and seating (gold passes notwithstanding).

• Showmasters Admin

You need a ticket to get in but the number on the FREE talk tickets are not used, the ticket guarentees you a place not where you'll sit. It is first come first served for the free talks.

It would be impossible to manage, with only a small time for turn around we have to get everyone out and in as quickly as possible.

We don't want it to be overly regamented for the free talks so we're not going to enforce seat numbering in them.

But it's impossible to call people in by ticket number, how long do we wait for people? We start loading the hall about 10 minutes before, we could call 1-100 but what if you're not there, we can't keep everyone else waiting for the people that haven't turned up. If you don't get there until 2 minutes before, I'm sorry but we're going to have loaded the hall, and you'll have to sit ant the back.

For the PAID talks the seats will be numbered and so it doesn't matter when you get there 15 minute or 15 seconds before, you'll still get the same seat.

Edited by Too Tall

For the PAID talks the seats will be numbered and so it doesn't matter when you get there 15 minute or 15 seconds before, you'll still get the same seat.

I'm glad about that, always annoys me when people start queueing 45 mins or so beforehand! Be good to get photo shoots out the way and just go for the talk 5 or 10 mins before it

That's good to know, as I have a feeling I'll be speed walking from my William Shatner photoshoot to the Ben Browder talk to get there for the start anyway.

That's good to know, as I have a feeling I'll be speed walking from my William Shatner photoshoot to the Ben Browder talk to get there for the start anyway.

Hiya, When you go for your William Shatner shoot, I would explain to the crew there that you have a ticket for the paid Ben Browder talk, they will be able to help you get there in time :rolleyes:

You need a ticket to get in but the number on the FREE talk tickets are not used, the ticket guarentees you a place not where you'll sit. It is first come first served for the free talks.

It would be impossible to manage, with only a small time for turn around we have to get everyone out and in as quickly as possible.

We don't want it to be overly regamented for the free talks so we're not going to enforce seat numbering in them.

But it's impossible to call people in by ticket number, how long do we wait for people? We start loading the hall about 10 minutes before, we could call 1-100 but what if you're not there, we can't keep everyone else waiting for the people that haven't turned up. If you don't get there until 2 minutes before, I'm sorry but we're going to have loaded the hall, and you'll have to sit ant the back.

with the Shatner talk, if im late in the queue will i be able to go to the front as my ticket is 14 or will i have to join whereever and find seat 14 when I get in?

thanks

R

As the queue isn't done by number, I don't really see the point in you going to the front of it. You'll still get the same seat regardless.

ok didnt know the paid talks queue wasnt done in number ala photo shoot batches. ok cheers, im still hoping 14 is pretty close, I guess it depends on how many golds were sold.

Question: I am planning to do

- Fett talk

- auction

- twilight talk

would I have to leave the room everytime? I am worried as if I'm in the Fett talk and have to leave, I will be at the back for the auction and not nice when you can't see the items for sale.

I imagine there will be people queuing for Twilight: same problem if I have to leave the room, I will end up at the very end.

Yes, you do have to clear the room after every talk etc otherwise people would just hold their seats at the front for each talk.

Sorry

if you have a ticket for 3 free talks/auction that are running one after the other why cant you stay and keep your seat? if they are back to back talks (free ones)

so I will end up at the back for each thing, not very pleased...

if you were going to 3 back to back free talks i guees the middle one you would be at the back but the others one of the first if you got to the front on the first and after second at the back started the queue for the 3rd.

Isn't the twilight talk a paid one that means you would get a seat right?

paid talks have designated seats, so for the twilight one, the later you buy the ticket, the further back you will be

so yes, the number on your talk ticket is your seat number :)

Edited by Chantelliosis

Yes, you do have to clear the room after every talk etc otherwise people would just hold their seats at the front for each talk.

Sorry

if you have a ticket for 3 free talks/auction that are running one after the other why cant you stay and keep your seat? if they are back to back talks (free ones)

Sorry, thats just the rule for free talks. Means that no one person ends up benefitting from just sitting in the same seat all day right from the start

Everybody has to queue the same, so if there is one talk you particularly want to see, that is the one to make sure you queue early for.

You might have to leave the auction early to go and queue up again :( Kinda sucks, but I can see why they would do it that way. When I went to a con in Toronto and there were two talks back to back by Robert Picardo and Jerry Doyle, we were lucky enough to be allowed to remain in our seats - but in a way, it sucked for those who were no Voyager fans and came in solely for Babylon 5, 'cause a few of those didn't even get a seat at all what with the people from the Robert Picardo talk simply staying on.

yes but I want to attend the auction as I won't be at LFCC on Sunday and am very interested in the Twilight talk but will end up at the end and won't see a thing.

Last year, Peter and Alex made sure they went to the back of the talk area often to include the attendees sitting there. Those at the front sometimes ended up having to turn aound to see what Peter and Alex were up to.

Sm just have to be fair to everyone. :(

*Edit* just realised, is it a paid twilight talk? if so, for paid talks, You will have a numbered seat if that is the case, so regardless of what time you go in, you will still get your allocated seat. That is decided from how early you purchased your ticket.

(Sorry, too busy tonight with work to go in and check if it is a paid for talk you are asking about)

Edited by Rhianydd

The Twilight talk isn't listed as "paid", so until TooTall, Mark or Jason come on tomorrow and tell me off because I am wrong I am assuming it's free.

I think we all had it down as paid for because the last ones were.

You might have to leave the auction early to go and queue up again :dance: Kinda sucks, but I can see why they would do it that way. When I went to a con in Toronto and there were two talks back to back by Robert Picardo and Jerry Doyle, we were lucky enough to be allowed to remain in our seats - but in a way, it sucked for those who were no Voyager fans and came in solely for Babylon 5, 'cause a few of those didn't even get a seat at all what with the people from the Robert Picardo talk simply staying on.

You hit the nail right on the head there, that's why the talk area is emptied all the time.

It had turned into a huge problem that attendees would simply enter for one talk (that sometimes they were not even interested in) and hog the seat.

Like it's been suggested, the best thing one can do is leave a bit earlier and get in line for the next one.

Hiya, When you go for your William Shatner shoot, I would explain to the crew there that you have a ticket for the paid Ben Browder talk, they will be able to help you get there in time <_<

Thank you - I will do that.