The End of Time

Harry

So was I the only one laughing at quite a lot of the ending then? Esp the gun bit...hilarious. Or maybe that's because I'm a twisted evil individual....

I enjoyed the episode, wasn't brilliant, and he took way too long to regenerate. But I do love a good regeneration, and really look forward to Matt Smith's era!

So was I the only one laughing at quite a lot of the ending then? Esp the gun bit...hilarious. Or maybe that's because I'm a twisted evil individual....

I enjoyed the episode, wasn't brilliant, and he took way too long to regenerate. But I do love a good regeneration, and really look forward to Matt Smith's era!

If you watch Confidential you will see that RTD explains that he felt it right and proper that he say goodbye to his companions. The ones he had travelled with with that body.

There were a few Star Wars nods in there as well.

I actually cried!

God I will miss Tennant :WINCE:

His last words were just perfect and so emotional. I never really got into Doctor who until the new series so to me David Tennant is my Doctor and always will be.

I'm not to sure about Matt Smith though, hope he will grow on me.

''Trust me, I'm the Doctor'' Classic lol!!

The very little I saw of Matt Smith in End of Time, I loved. I think he'll be a cracking doctor!!

OK so I'm a complete wuss and for this I blame Wilf...I blubbed at the end when the doctor was saying his goodbyes!!

spoilers

eot overall, a bit boring, bit pointless in places like all the specials, forgettable with more endings than tlotr.

cheapish effects in places which was a surprise, the many missiles bit, the gunner bits were almost shouting we did this quickly on the cheap and I bet in confidential they say that! not watching it tonight, catch it later, more interested in the new trailer online

micky and martha? wtf? that was a bit out of nowere but great to see them

rasalon? what was the point in naming him that?

timelords brought back just like davros for 5 minutes then sent packing,

glad rtd and tennant are gone tbh, the quality of the specials have been poor

like the new doctor already and there is a trailer on the website, though i dont like the new catchphrase of geronamo

only a few good bits in part 2, the master was great as was his and tennants final scenes together and apart

dalton chewing up the scenery

the regeneration was really good as was the 4 knocks scene with wilf

thats about it lol

oh and wilf who was fantastic

who was that woman? the docs mother?

why does rose not recognize tennant in potw and christmas invasion? he should of been in total shadow facially in end of time for that to work

what exactly did the doc shoot with one bullet to send them back?

how far did he fall from the spaceship and survive with only glass cuts lol

why is donna not dead? was teh self defense thing to stop her remembering to much before burning ?

humm very disappointing end to the rtd era, JE was far better than this

oh and how i groaned when he built up to his final alonsey

still like i said the master by simm was brilliant and loved his end scene pushing rasalon back and banishing himself to the time war? or to be killed? lol like with many rtd scripts the more you think about them the more questions there are and the more it doesnt make sense lol but still great scene

loved how he and tennant played off against each other, and wilf, loved the masters plan lol, loved the 4 knocks scene and the jack bar scene lol

did not like how the doctor talked to wilf before taking his place, just like he did to was her name in TWOM, thats not who the doctor is for me saying your not important ect, glad he brought it back by saying it would be an honour but still

how fantastic was the little teaser trailer for series 5!!!!

Donna not dying - this was explained in the second part. The Doctor had installed a defense mechanism in her, and only said she would burn up as he wanted her to be safe and free from him.

The Doctor talking to WILF in the way he did was explained in Confidential. RTD said that the 10th Doctor had had a steady build up to realising how much power he really had, but also how vulnerable he was. The Waters Of Mars scene had to be followed up the way it was in The End Of Time so it didn't seem pointless. The Doctor said that it wasn't fare that he was going to die, yet could do so much more. Wilf was unimportant in that regards.

The Timelords returning at the end of the first part and throughout the second part, only to be put back to where they were in time, was a way to come full circle of The Doctor/Master storyline.

Although never seen according to my friend, it seems that The Doctor caused the first regeneration of The Master. This was pretty much confirmed when he told Wilf "That's how the Master began" after refusing to kill someone.

The Doctor shot the link of the White Star Diamond sent from Gallifrey by Rassalon, thus removing the physical link for the Timelords to come to Earth.

The Spaceship Gunnery Pods, and the Captain Jack bar scene were a blatant nod to the Millenium Falcon and Cantina Scenes in Star Wars. RTD is apparently a major Star Wars fan.

The woman talking to Wilf could not have been The Doctor's Mother as Timelords/Gallifreyans do not have birth Mothers apparently as they are created. There has been hinting that The Doctor's Mother was human. However, that woman was one of the two Gallifreyans who voted against going to Earth. Hence why she covered her eyes. Wilf was her contact to the Doctor and her way of trying to make sure that Rassalon is not successful.

Why was The Time Lord President named as Rassilon? Because he was Lord President and Founder of the Time Lords. The Time Lords never indictaed where in the Time Wars they were during The End Of Time. If you think about it, the Lord President had to be recognised and named, otherwise his appearance would be pointless.

We saw The Doctor in the shadows, but we did not see it from Rose's position. All she saw.heard was a "drunk guy" in the shadows. This is why she didn't recognise him in previous episodes due to this being January 1st 2005, before Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor rescued her in the shop.

The falling from the spaceship was far, but not overly far. He is The Doctor, so this would be explained by saying he was capable of taking the fall. After all, The Master hti him in the chest with the energy from his hands.

Mickey and Martha, Rose, Sarah Jane and the Granddaughter of the woman he loved when he was John Smith and in human disguise...these were done for this Doctor to say goodbye to thos ehe had travelled with. RTD showed a new side to The Doctor in that he feels pain when regenrating. He feels like he is dying. Maybe this was agreed with Moffatt so that it could be a new dimension to The Doctor's character.

It seems that they may be expanding and developing the Doctor so that it is not just a case of a new series every year. It is something fresh.

Edited by Will Jones

Yea it was said in confidential that they wanted this regeneration to feel like a death to give Tennant (Who has arguably been the best Doctor of all time) a proper send off. It is like death in a way, The Doctor even said as such, since he does more or less regenerate into a new person with a new personality and characteristics.

RTD's series has now came full circle. It started out with wonder about the Time War & why The Doctor was the last of the Time Lords but now we know what happened to them. It has been like that the whole series has been building up to 'The End of Time' since it restarted.

I quite liked how he visited all his former companions one last time before he went. It was like a goodbye to them aswell as Tennant since its unlikely that Moffatt will use those characters.

Well I cried like a baby at the end of it because it was so emotional and I loved the fact we didn't know that we would get to see the companions one last time; as most of these characters were created by Davies, Moffatt may not want to use them again which was mentioned on Confidential. Even though it was kinda self-indulgent I loved it- its the last episode of the era of Tennant/Davies so they deserve it and so do we :WINCE:

As for the story loved the fact that Wilf was the reason behind the four knocks

Bernard Cribbins was superb

John Simm was brilliant as usual

And David Tennant just gave us a show for his final episode. I loved it and it was amazing.

And I cried when I watched Confidential - if anyone hasnt seen it I recommed Iplayer as you probably will cry at David's speech and final few minutes of the show.

Oh and Matt Smith's first chunk as the doctor looks promising seems to be putting in energy and enthusiasm and the trailer looks good and promising. Although I like the concept of 'Geronimo' not as cool as 'Alonsy'

:lol:

When it came out that the Time Lords were the ones who turned the Master nuts, I basically knew they were going to get their bums kicked!

There's only so far you can push a human, let alone a Time Lord. It's safe to say the Master was my hero at that point!

Bernard Cribbins absolutely blew my mind. He was beyond excellent and made me both laugh and cry. The gun bit was simply downright hilarious and the line "Oh my word, it's a cactus!" was delivered perfectly.

One of the funniest moments for me was the Doctor shouting "Not the stairs! Not the stairs!" Even thinking about that scene makes me cackle! Being in a chair, I completely understand the sentiment :D

When Wilf knocked on the door, I literally ceased to breathe and the tears began, and got worse when he went to say goodbye to his mates. I had a feeling they'd make something between Mickey and Martha, so wasn't too surprised when that cropped up.

Since I'm quite the little fangirl when it comes to this show, I adored it when he went back to 2005 and told Rose how she was gonna have a brilliant year. Loved that he gave the hope for better things to come all the while knowing what was in store!

Those very final moments and the words "I don't wanna go," pretty much killed me.

The geek factor of the 11 Doctor kissing his leg and touching his ears, hair etc etc reminded me of early 10 when he was going on about his new teeth. I will be giving him a chance purely because I remember being more than dubious when both Billie Piper and Catherine Tate were announced as companions.

Looking forward to next year and the return of the Silurians.

Donna not dying - this was explained in the second part. The Doctor had installed a defense mechanism in her, and only said she would burn up as he wanted her to be safe and free from him.

The Doctor talking to WILF in the way he did was explained in Confidential. RTD said that the 10th Doctor had had a steady build up to realising how much power he really had, but also how vulnerable he was. The Waters Of Mars scene had to be followed up the way it was in The End Of Time so it didn't seem pointless. The Doctor said that it wasn't fare that he was going to die, yet could do so much more. Wilf was unimportant in that regards.

The Timelords returning at the end of the first part and throughout the second part, only to be put back to where they were in time, was a way to come full circle of The Doctor/Master storyline.

Although never seen according to my friend, it seems that The Doctor caused the first regeneration of The Master. This was pretty much confirmed when he told Wilf "That's how the Master began" after refusing to kill someone.

The Doctor shot the link of the White Star Diamond sent from Gallifrey by Rassalon, thus removing the physical link for the Timelords to come to Earth.

The Spaceship Gunnery Pods, and the Captain Jack bar scene were a blatant nod to the Millenium Falcon and Cantina Scenes in Star Wars. RTD is apparently a major Star Wars fan.

The woman talking to Wilf could not have been The Doctor's Mother as Timelords/Gallifreyans do not have birth Mothers apparently as they are created. There has been hinting that The Doctor's Mother was human. However, that woman was one of the two Gallifreyans who voted against going to Earth. Hence why she covered her eyes. Wilf was her contact to the Doctor and her way of trying to make sure that Rassalon is not successful.

Why was The Time Lord President named as Rassilon? Because he was Lord President and Founder of the Time Lords. The Time Lords never indictaed where in the Time Wars they were during The End Of Time. If you think about it, the Lord President had to be recognised and named, otherwise his appearance would be pointless.

We saw The Doctor in the shadows, but we did not see it from Rose's position. All she saw.heard was a "drunk guy" in the shadows. This is why she didn't recognise him in previous episodes due to this being January 1st 2005, before Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor rescued her in the shop.

The falling from the spaceship was far, but not overly far. He is The Doctor, so this would be explained by saying he was capable of taking the fall. After all, The Master hti him in the chest with the energy from his hands.

Mickey and Martha, Rose, Sarah Jane and the Granddaughter of the woman he loved when he was John Smith and in human disguise...these were done for this Doctor to say goodbye to thos ehe had travelled with. RTD showed a new side to The Doctor in that he feels pain when regenrating. He feels like he is dying. Maybe this was agreed with Moffatt so that it could be a new dimension to The Doctor's character.

It seems that they may be expanding and developing the Doctor so that it is not just a case of a new series every year. It is something fresh.

humm, the old school fan in me doesnt buy alot of that, the defense thing on donna? why not tell wilf? was it just a defense or was the whole she will burn and die thing a lie?

the doctor rose bit, we did see him from her pov or at least it seemed that way, i would of been fine with that scene if we and rose could not see his face

yer the reward stuff was nice but at the same time a bit annoying, if rtd wasnt leaving there is no way all that would of been in there.

dalton being named rassalon is silly because A it will mean nothing to new who only fans and to old school fans it will just be annoying as it messes a bit with cannon, of course this is a generalization, but if we never see dalton again its completely pointless

timelords do have parents, and the doctor did according to new who alone, the varity bits are from wen he was human mr smith , he also had children (not including jenny)

Yea it was said in confidential that they wanted this regeneration to feel like a death to give Tennant (Who has arguably been the best Doctor of all time) a proper send off. It is like death in a way, The Doctor even said as such, since he does more or less regenerate into a new person with a new personality and characteristics.

RTD's series has now came full circle. It started out with wonder about the Time War & why The Doctor was the last of the Time Lords but now we know what happened to them. It has been like that the whole series has been building up to 'The End of Time' since it restarted.

I quite liked how he visited all his former companions one last time before he went. It was like a goodbye to them aswell as Tennant since its unlikely that Moffatt will use those characters.

that poll tennant won as being the best doctor, id be very interested to see the break down of fans who voted, like classic fans, new fans, or both fans as it were.

yer that scene were he was saying its like dieing felt more like rtd saying yer who will continue but not as good as the rtd years lol, the doc has always been funny about regeneration, not wanting to or dubious about his new appearance and in multi doc stories hating in a way his past and future selfs lol but its still the same being deep down, its still the doctor and if it isnt explain to me why tennants doc is how he is when meeting sjs again for the first time, its the same man! just renewed with slightly different character traits

im pretty sure jack will return under the moff, the others? humm maybe not, not for a while anyway. would be nice if wilf got another story though

humm im starting to sound all negative, im just really disappointed with the specials and how rtd signed out. but still beautiful regen scene and the master was brilliant, new doc seems brilliant and the moff is awsome so bring on the spring

We badly should get Tennant for an event. At least he should be available now :thumbup:

His last moments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADJV6y-5qY :D

he is filming a new pilot for an american show about a lawyer so if that gets picked up he will be unobtainable i recon and busy with that

any one wondering what julie and rtd were doing in america recording the commentary whilst tennant was doing the pilot?

id love for tanant and smith to be at a con, id die lol, that would be amazing

Parents...New Who lore...old Who lore...all have differing views. Also, I never said that they didn't have Parents. I said that they didn't have birth Mothers.

New Who did dabble with changes. It really depends how far you go back. Just because he has had children doesn't mean he was "a traditional birth Parent" if you see what I mean.

Jenny was created, but she saw him as "Dad". His children have his genes, but that doesn't make him a traditional Father. More like a "donor" so to speak. It is hard to explain what I am trying to say, but Who lore has changed and altered over the years.

As regards Rassilon, Tim Dalton is not the first to portray him. If he is seen again but played by someone else, that is where regeneration comes in. I would love to see a spin off series based during the Time Wars. That would be brilliant.

Donna not dying..defnnese machanism..why not tell Wilf? Look back through DW ,and new Who especially, and you will see that The Doctor keeps secrets. He, as a Time Lord, has to. It makes perfect sense.

Matt Smith kissing his knee is old school Tennant..it is what I first thought. But, it is still going to take a lot to accept him. Mind you, I am a huge Chris Ecc fan prior to Who, but it was less of a challenge accepting DT as CE was only in it for one series.

Torchwood is, as far as I am aware, being transfered to Moffatt. As far as I know, RTD will be keeping hold of that. As he said in an interview, it allows him "to be naughty" as it somewhat more adult that DW. So, Captain Jack will be back.

I am probably going to root out the trailer as I saw a picture in the paoper today of Matt Smith in the new DW.

You say as an old school Whovian that you can't accept a lot of why thigns may have been done....yet you quote New Who about the parentage...like any long running series, things change. Science Fiction is probably the best, or worst, for this. If you enjoy it, then enjoy it..if not..so be it.

Rose's point of view...did we see it from there? I think not. She was some distance away from him, and the viewers had the benefit of a camera close up.

I loved the fact that this two parter was all about The Doctor, The Master and Wilf.

Why do I say this?

Look at the introduction credits and the three names at the start are David, John and The Cribbins!!!

They made this two parter immense and simply brilliant.

The four knocks from Wilf, followed by the look of utter devastation from The Doctor. That is when the floodgates opened.

Tennant, Simm, Cribbins and Davies...I salute you for making a 39 year man cry like a baby. It shows you did it right for this Who Geek!!!!

i was just wondering, the defense thing on donna was it just that and and she could still die if ever she remembers fully? or was that a lie? i wasnt sure

birth wise its never specified i dont recall but in new who he turns his nose up at the artificial way jenny came about so perhaps time lord is natural, we know they are children and have families

despite all the sillyness and poor scripting the end was nice and cribbins, simm and tennant superb in the finale

hasnt barrowman confirmed a new tw but rtd said he was jumping the gun?

i still dont buy the rose scene, which is mainly due to how it was filmed more than anything else, i was happy and surprised rtd referenced the eccleston years/year, i to am a massive eccleston fan, but they do try to hardly mention it under tennants era, just look at all the best of moments docs and confidentials. shame

i was just wondering, the defense thing on donna was it just that and and she could still die if ever she remembers fully? or was that a lie? i wasnt sure

It was a lie.

birth wise its never specified i dont recall but in new who he turns his nose up at the artificial way jenny came about so perhaps time lord is natural, we know they are children and have families

There are conflicting comments throughout old and new Who. The fact that they have children and families is not in question. What is in question is that all Gallifreyan children appear to be created rather than "given birth to"...which doesn't really have anything said against that. It just hasn't been said that they are "no given birth to". It's a question that has yet to be definitively answered.

despite all the sillyness and poor scripting the end was nice and cribbins, simm and tennant superb in the finale

We will have to agree on the poor scripting..that one is down to personal tastes. But the ending was pure excellence.

hasnt barrowman confirmed a new tw but rtd said he was jumping the gun?

Yes and No. As of now RTD will helm TW.

i still dont buy the rose scene, which is mainly due to how it was filmed more than anything else, i was happy and surprised rtd referenced the eccleston years/year, i to am a massive eccleston fan, but they do try to hardly mention it under tennants era, just look at all the best of moments docs and confidentials. shame

Once again, we will have to agree to disagree regarding Rose. My personal view is that his face was not visible to her. She was in a happy mood having shared a laugh with her Mother. She thought he was drunk.

Also, I couldn't see RTD dropping such a huge clanger after such a wonderful ending.

I have re-watched the episode and that part, and it remains that where and how he was stood coupled with how far she appeared to be away, Rose didn't see his face.

As regards CE and not too much mentioning of his year...I have a feelign RTD wasn't best pleased that CE jacked it in and said he didn't want to be type cast. I think RTD feels affronted. But, I could be wrong. In some ways, Christopher E. leaving meant we got David T.

the doctor rose bit, we did see him from her pov or at least it seemed that way, i would of been fine with that scene if we and rose could not see his face

Think back to New Year's Eve last year. You've had a few, and you're on your way home to sleep. Can you really remember that random drunk you passed who wished you well? I know I couldn't! Your memory just can't store all the information about people you briefly see. She may have had a spark of recognition, but no way enough to make a big deal of.

I still want to know who the woman in the church / telly / behind Rassilon really was.

My initial thoughts were Susan or Romana

However watching the goodbyes, when Wilf asks the Doctor about her, he looks at Donna. Maybe there is more to come from the doctordonna.

I still want to know who the woman in the church / telly / behind Rassilon really was.

However watching the goodbyes, when Wilf asks the Doctor about her, he looks at Donna. Maybe there is more to come from the doctordonna.

Although no name given, in Confidential she was identified as one of the two who voted against Rassilon..hence why she was covering her eyes and kneeling down.

Although no name given, in Confidential she was identified as one of the two who voted against Rassilon..hence why she was covering her eyes and kneeling down.

I still have a feeling there is more to her and we might see her again.

Also liked the name of Joan Redfern's great grandaughter

Edited by Harry

Think back to New Year's Eve last year.

You're good, I can barely remember this years!

The whole Rassilon name thing annoyed me, Didn't the Master on his last regeneration (before the Time Lords gave him a new set) hunt around for various Rassilon relics (the sash, the crown etc)

The time lines (even allowing for the time locked bubble thing) don't match up! This smacks of Russel having the ending he wanted to write rather than keeping continutity. I feel churlish moaning as he's done so much good for the show but these things bug me!

Having rewritten Dr Who lore, to then severely underuse the character (and what was Rassilons character? Disintegration for disagreement one minute and then taking votes!) was criminal especially as we were once again 'blessed' with Donna Noble, surely a creation to rival Shakespears Falstaff or the Jar Jars Binks of Lucas as only funny if you happened to have penned them!

The man/women behind Rassilon were referred to as weeping Angels so perhaps this was a set up for their return, Blink 2?

I'm not going to comment on the main storyline, it had some good bits and some really annoying bits but thats how it goes, I'm instead going on concentrate on being positive this new year and comment on the final bit. It was a little treat for Who fans to see these cameos, especially Jessica Hynes made me happy. It was a wonderful way to go. And really thats what the episode was for.