Autographica 14

showmasters

Well I'm glad its in Birmingham because I'm 15 minutes from the venue. Purely from a selfish p.o.v., of course.

But, no matter where Auto was held it'd be IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone. We just have to be glad these events are organised for us at all!! It's the ONLY way I've got to meet the Apollo astro's and I'll never forget going to my first one, thinking 'Jeez, this is really gonna happen, I'm gonna meet them.....!' I've travelled to Northampton and Coventry and London to the Auto's, it's been pricey and a bloody slog at times but always worth it.

So top thanks to Dave and all the others for making it happen.

Bestest

Well I'm glad its in Birmingham because I'm 15 minutes from the venue. Purely from a selfish p.o.v., of course.

But, no matter where Auto was held it'd be IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone. We just have to be glad these events are organised for us at all!! It's the ONLY way I've got to meet the Apollo astro's and I'll never forget going to my first one, thinking 'Jeez, this is really gonna happen, I'm gonna meet them.....!' I've travelled to Northampton and Coventry and London to the Auto's, it's been pricey and a bloody slog at times but always worth it.

So top thanks to Dave and all the others for making it happen.

Bestest

"... and so say all of us"

• 1 month later...

glad its local to me in Birmingham but the guests this time are really poor. :D

On behalf of everyone can I say thank you for posting such an intelligent, insightful and well thought out comment. It's sheer eloquence has moved me to tears.

I hope one day humanity will look back on your post and elevate it to it's rightful place in history along with "I have a dream..." (Martin Luther King), "We will fight them on the beaches..." (Winston Churchill) and "Am I fick or summink?" (Jade Goody).

If you feel like that then why are you glad it's local to you as you obviously won't be attending to see such 'poor guests'?

Personally I think you are lucky to be seeing guests like this and will never get the opprtunity to see some of them ever again.

If the guests are so poor, then you will not be coming, I presume? I mean, why would you want to blow good, hard earned cash on poor - strike that - really poor guests?

Now come clean. Are you coming or not? Give us an HONEST reply.

glad its local to me in Birmingham but the guests this time are really poor. :thumbup:

If the guests are so poor, then you will not be coming, I presume? I mean, why would you want to blow good, hard earned cash on poor - strike that - really poor guests?

To be fair to them, they do have a point BUT seeing as how at the last autographica we had Borgnine,Rooney,Kennedy,Collins it was always going to be a hard act to follow such famous names. So last time we were almost spoilt with some the guests and perhaps instead of really poor they should have put something along the lines of not quite having the same appeal/pull factor as the four mentioned above, almost like sending in the support act after the main act.

glad its local to me in Birmingham but the guests this time are really poor. ;)

At this moment in time i won't be attending the show as the guest line up as it stands has little appeal.If showmasters get better guests at the last minute thats ideal ,as i said before i'm local (Walsall) so its easier for me to travel to than have to attend london events all the time.Even if i don't attend i'm glad fellow collectors have a local event to pursue their hobby and interest.The space theme guests have no interest to me but as a collector of film Collectables i had hoped for better, its not my fault showmasters raised the bar with their last event and therefore raised the expectations . Your spot on 'Madmilburn', the current list of guests hardly match up to Borgnine, Rooney and Kennedy, so ,in my opinion , the guests are poor in comparison, a few Bond girls and cast members from 'Lovejoy' don't get the pulse racing, if it does then i think you need to either get a job or a girlfriend!. Sorry folks just expressing an opinion don't get sore and take it as fact.Not quite sure why i should be lucky to see them as mentioned by 'Blackrose', if you do all the film premieres like i do you would have seen in the last few months everyone from Will Smith to Reese Witherspoon. Stirling Moss is allways around but Ursula Andress is a good guest for Bond fans, just not me, each to their own. I would have thought with Manchester cancelled and other events struggling to make money the showmasters people needed to get at least one 'Marquee' signing to follow up the success of the last Birmingham event,but as yet they haven't done it.I thought these forums were a platform to get our thoughts across to showmasters so they could get useful feedback to improve events and attendance , i wasn't aware any reply needed to be in shakespearian prose or go down in history , obviously some people have too much time on their hands. I hope this was an insightfull enough reply ,it was at the very least an honest one. Anyway nice to know i made certain people feel a little better about themselves , ;) Have a nice day .

Edited by bigcat

Perhaps your reply being about three times as long as anyone elses indicates you have a bit more time than anyone else!

If you don't like the line-up of guests why not post something a bit more useful like putting a few names in the guest suggestion thread. At least then it gives to organisers some sort of indication as to what people are looking for.

glad its local to me in Birmingham but the guests this time are really poor. ;)

At this moment in time i won't be attending the show as the guest line up as it stands has little appeal.If showmasters get better guests at the last minute thats ideal ,as i said before i'm local (Walsall) so its easier for me to travel to than have to attend london events all the time.Even if i don't attend i'm glad fellow collectors have a local event to pursue their hobby and interest.The space theme guests have no interest to me but as a collector of film Collectables i had hoped for better, its not my fault showmasters raised the bar with their last event and therefore raised the expectations . Your spot on 'Madmilburn', the current list of guests hardly match up to Borgnine, Rooney and Kennedy, so ,in my opinion , the guests are poor in comparison, a few Bond girls and cast members from 'Lovejoy' don't get the pulse racing, if it does then i think you need to either get a job or a girlfriend!. Sorry folks just expressing an opinion don't get sore and take it as fact.Not quite sure why i should be lucky to see them as mentioned by 'Blackrose', if you do all the film premieres like i do you would have seen in the last few months everyone from Will Smith to Reese Witherspoon. Stirling Moss is allways around but Ursula Andress is a good guest for Bond fans, just not me, each to their own. I would have thought with Manchester cancelled and other events struggling to make money the showmasters people needed to get at least one 'Marquee' signing to follow up the success of the last Birmingham event,but as yet they haven't done it.I thought these forums were a platform to get our thoughts across to showmasters so they could get useful feedback to improve events and attendance , i wasn't aware any reply needed to be in shakespearian prose or go down in history , obviously some people have too much time on their hands. I hope this was an insightfull enough reply ,it was at the very least an honest one. Anyway nice to know i made certain people feel a little better about themselves , ;) Have a nice day .

You are a dullard and clearly do not understand what Autographica is all about. Stick to your stalking the red carpet premier peeps and the "Marquee" signers at other, more high-key events! Oh, and Edward Fox is a much, much higher quality of actor than Will Smith will ever be - he was even outshone by the guy who played Carlton in Fresh Prince, so your name dropping doesn't exactly wash well. Now run along back into that hole from whence you came. Go on....shoo, shoo!

leave bigcat alone, hes done nothing wrong, hes only pointed out the same thing as me a thing called CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM something that you guys take personal.

No. It's not constructive. It is exceptionally dull and uncalled for.

Constructive would be "I don't like the line-up for this show because... how about inviting...to attend instead". Just saying 'the line-up is really poor' gives Dave and the team nothing to work with so it's not contstructive in the least.

The other thing is just because the guests are not to someones tastes doesn't mean they are poor. The military and astronaut line up is excellent, Edward Fox and Ursula Andress are both excellent guests as well. For me the likes of Mickey Rooney and Ernest Borgnine had limited appeal because they had not done much that is to my tastes, but I still recognise that they were very good guests for their field.

Dave puts a huge amount of effort into running these shows on our behalf and most people on here recognise that so when people come on here and make throw away comments criticising the event and the efforts made its perhaps no surprise that people react strongly to it.

I will admit that my excitement is over the presence of four top quality Astronauts and the space lobby could not have been better catered for. So for me, this will be a top rate show.

Sorry to say that I am not really a film buff, so I ask myself 'Am I narrow mindedly not seeing this issue from their point of view?'

But then again I conclude, if a line up which includes Ursula Andress and Edward Fox excites me, surely those film and stage aficianados must be over the moon.

During WWII, my father was a casuality in 'Operation Market Garden' and accordingly I have an obsession with 'A Bridge Too Far'.

I can't wait to meet Edward Fox and chat about a truely wonderful portrayal of General Horrocks in that film.

My conclusion: There's somebody for everyone at this Show and it will be GREAT. I get very short tempered with those posters who make the kind of nonconstructive criticisims seen earlier.

Now I await as they turn to their usual tactic of accusing me of being a 'crawler'!

Heres my thoughts on the guests- till Edward Fox was announced i wasnt going to bother despite wanting meet Stirling Moss and Ursula Andress as i felt going down for just two autographs i couldnt justify the cost but now i am as Fox is one my favourite actors, also on the monday before the event i move bk to Omrskirk few wks before Uni starts again so not costing too much in train fare compared to coming from N'castle. Spacemen aside looking at the actors and sports men they dont quite have the same appeal as Borgnine, Kennedy,Collins ect ect but it was always going be a bit of a struggle to get names as good as them as its like sending in the local support act after Girls Alouds or whoever have been on stage. Am happy enough with the guests announced by showmasters thought obviously like most i wouldn't mind a few other guests (mainly from film not so much tv and ideally ones who've had fairly large roles in films as well) turning up, and yes i have put some names down in the guest suggestion thread and reckon i'll be spending bout 100quid

If you don't like the line-up of guests why not post something a bit more useful like putting a few names in the guest suggestion thread. At least then it gives to organisers some sort of indication as to what people are looking for.

SM Please check out my guest suggestions threads as these are what we are looking for!!! :D

I'd prefer there being a smaller number of guests attending this Autographica show. Something different for a change. It's easier to organise as well!

I, personally, do not have strong feelings either way. However, i do know quite a few people who are operating on a limited budget and who feel thay can buy from a more complete range of the guests when the numbers are lower. Adding more guests takes them outwith their budget if they want to try and cover nearly everybody.