we are working on the Eternal Twilight DVD and large photo book

showmasters

No, I absolutely understand what you're saying. I'm not disagreeing.

But as this is the first time they've actually done something like this in regards to a DVD of an event, I would imagine there are valid reasons behind them choosing to do a limited run .. likely more financial than anything else.

Typically there are certain fixed costs with doing something like this, costs which often recur each time you do a batch. Now whether this cost is £50 per batch or £500, what it means is that once the first batch has sold out, then doing any more copies will mean that most or all of that £50 or £500 will have to be paid for a second batch - so unless the second issue is at least the same size as the first, it's not cost effective. It's certainly not cost effective if there's only another 35 copies needed.

I guess it would indeed by an idea to have a pre-sale for a couple of weeks to gauge demand - if you pre-sell 250 you might think about ordering 275 or 300 I guess, so you have a few to sell in the shop. But you might find that you sell 550 - which would be a useful thing to know if you were originally thinking of only getting 350 done :D

So in this context I guess what "limited" means is that, once they're gone, they're gone, and that they can't just get one or two run off whenever anybody wants one.

I'd be surprised if demand was more than 300. But then I didn't think ET2 would sell out in under 20 days, so what the hell do I know?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think it would be unfair to have people that didn't attend ET1 be able to get them & have those that did miss out if they are limited. :D

No, because that would be really unfair to those who couldn't make the first one.

we just to let you all know

we plan to have the Eternal Twilight DVD ready for you in a month or two,with special interviews with the guest and lots of amazing footage from the event, orders will go on sale soon, we only plan to make one batch of DVD's so once they have sold out that will be it, more on this next week

also we plan to produce a large photo book of the weekend as our photographer took some great photos of the weekend, some of which are so amazing we want to put together a book so it will remind you of all the fond memories from Eternal Twilight for ever, :D

the book will go on sale in the next week or so will also be ready in around 1 to 2 months and will also be limited. more on this next week also :D

i know its some time off, but we just wanted to give people the heads up before we put them into the shop

we are working very very hard to make both items something very special and cherish forever :lol:

are you making one for eclipse too??? :)

pleaseeee! :D

• Moderators

pleaseeee! :lol:

Copied from another topic:

well if the guests had agreed to let us do a dvd them maybe we would but so far its going to cost to much for us to get the rights to move this forward

now with ET we got all the guest to agree to it so it was easy to start this and move this forward

we did not think it was going to be so hard but it has been so now you know what we do we are still talking about it and still trying to make it happen

i hope this helps

jason

pleaseeee! :lol:

Copied from another topic:

well if the guests had agreed to let us do a dvd them maybe we would but so far its going to cost to much for us to get the rights to move this forward

now with ET we got all the guest to agree to it so it was easy to start this and move this forward

we did not think it was going to be so hard but it has been so now you know what we do we are still talking about it and still trying to make it happen

i hope this helps

jason

oh :D

but can't we just have a photobook because there was a photographer there? :)

• Moderators

I doubt it. It's probably a little too late to bother doing one for events as far back as that.

This con is the best for doing it as evidently there's a clear demand for things. Other ones would be too risky probably.

It's not a memory for those that weren't there, but it is for those that were...

I know I'd be unhappy if someone that wasn't there got one instead of me... those are MY memories, along with 800 others. ;)

I kinda feel the same :P

I mean if i wasnt at an event I wouldn't particularly want a dvd of other people lol

hmmmm maybe you're right. i can kind of see both points, but having said that if people who actually were there miss out on a dvd/photo book cos people who weren't there have got there first then that's clearly not fair. i'm thinking 300 isn't going to be enough... i've only read back a couple of posts but I love Tommy's pre-ordering idea. see tommy we can agree on some things! :poki: this may seem out of order to people who wanted to go to et1 but couldn't, but could the stuff be made available 24 hours earlier to actual atendees or something? i don't even know how you'd do that though... well it's just an idea.

It's not a memory for those that weren't there, but it is for those that were...

I know I'd be unhappy if someone that wasn't there got one instead of me... those are MY memories, along with 800 others. :poki:

I kinda feel the same :poki:

I mean if i wasnt at an event I wouldn't particularly want a dvd of other people lol

I completely get where the two of you are coming from, but I just want to see the talks, like David said.

:)

At the end of the day, you are still going to have disappointed people on your hands. :thumbup:

Maybe those people will be disappointed enough to not come to the next con, or the next one after that... who knows?

The phrase "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" would then spring to mind...

hmmmm maybe you're right. i can kind of see both points, but having said that if people who actually were there miss out on a dvd/photo book cos people who weren't there have got there first then that's clearly not fair.

I love how people think life should be fair :thumbup: But yes, I can see both sides of the coin on this one.

i'm thinking 300 isn't going to be enough... i've only read back a couple of posts but I love Tommy's pre-ordering idea. see tommy we can agree on some things! :YAHOO:

Careful now, as Father Dougal would say :chair:

this may seem out of order to people who wanted to go to et1 but couldn't, but could the stuff be made available 24 hours earlier to actual atendees or something? i don't even know how you'd do that though... well it's just an idea.

In an ideal world, yes, they could say OK, pre-order via the shop, you have to pay now, but we guarantee everybody will get a copy, and then they could order at least that many, and maybe a few more for people who didn't have the money at the time to pay later. If that's the case, then arguably no need to give attendees any "head start" as everybody would get one.

BUT, it may be that the DVD producing plant aren't that flexible and will only do set numbers, eg, 250, 500 750, 1000 and then multiples of 500 after that. Now if that were the case and they did a general pre-order, suppose they ended up with 600 pre-orders? - they would either have to disappoint 100 people, or buy 750 and have 150 in stock to sell from the shop to stragglers, which is (1) an awful lot to sell later and (2) probably a sizeable amount for SM/ME to pay out and then hold as stock they might never sell. In that case then yes you would need to be limited to strict numbers in advance.

The only way round it that comes to mind, and I've seen something similar done on a band's mailing list would be to say that it will be a limited run, but the size of that is to be decided by the response. e.g if they were limited to multiples of 250, say that so long as they get say 220-250 responses, they'll order 250, if they get 470-500 responses they'll order 500, and if they get 720-750 responses they'll order 750, because they figure they can probably sell up to 30 copies later on and it's not a huge stockholding cost. That would be the best way, but it would have to be very clear from the start, and people would have to accept, that if they only got 600 orders, than everyone from 501 to 600 wouldn't get one. So everybody would have to understand and be willing to swallow the fact that if they were say order number 503 and only 600 orders were received, they wouldn't get one. (People would also have to accept that the size of the limited run wasn't guaranteed - so no posts about "I paid £x for one of a limited edition of 500 and now they're doing 750, I've been ripped off" etc). (You would probably need to put that in large type on the application in the online shop - "By purchasing this pre-order, I accept that [this is how it works] and [i might not be successful in my application] and... and I promise not to moan about it either" :chair: ) It's perhaps the fairest method, but also one that's liable to cause huge fuss for anybody that doesn't get one. (There again, considering the ability of the ET crowd to buy tickets etc so quickly, I could see that if it was posted that another 40 pre-sales were needed to guarantee the next order size up, they'd probably go in 48 hours!) However, there is so much room for misunderstanding and bitterness about this method that I wouldn't blame SM for not even trying it. (It's probably also logistically considerably harder to organise than just a simple "first 500 orders as soon as we say "GO!" " approach)

And given people's tendency to flake on things you would have to insist on payment details up-front (obviously you wouldn't process the details for anybody in a "failed" part batch, e.g. in the above example you would only process the payments for orders 1-500 and not for 501-600.)

Wowss im sooooo excited,,

but still really worried ,, i really really want the et dvd, mainly so i can show my friend jenii wat she missed lol

but i fink they'll sell out very very fast,, do you know how many there going to sell?

and around how much they'll cost?

i cant wait to watch the dvd, i giggle at just reading memories and other people's accounts of the event.

Im sad, but i love it ~:)

x ty x

Btw i cnt spell x

Eternal Twilight 2 wish list:

Jackson Rathboone

Ashley Greene

Nikki Reed

Peter Facinelli

Kellan Lutz

&&

as billy is already coming

Billy Burk (if thts how u spell it :S)

Careful now, as Father Dougal would say :YAHOO:

:D

is that from father ted, cos i don't really watch it. i'm really confused now, thanks!

whatever ME decide to do there'll probably be people who are disappointed. though if it is a case of needing multiples of 250 then surely 750s better than 500 :YAHOO: whatever, it's not like i have any power over decision making.

Careful now, as Father Dougal would say ;)

:headscratch:

is that from father ted,

Yes.

cos i don't really watch it.

You should do. ;)

(I will allow that it's a bit light on veggie vampires and drippy lovestruck teenage girls :D , but it's still a good watch)

I don't know about anoyone else but i was in a Kellan fog for most of the weekend and have now forgotten most of what was said in the talks so I really need DVD to remember what was said!

It was a Peter fog for me so I understand what you went through!! ;)

I don't know about anoyone else but i was in a Kellan fog for most of the weekend and have now forgotten most of what was said in the talks so I really need DVD to remember what was said!

It was a Peter fog for me so I understand what you went through!! ;)

My friend was the same. Peter did smell good though. does anyone know what he was wearing?

(I will allow that it's a bit light on veggie vampires and drippy lovestruck teenage girls ;) , but it's still a good watch)

oi shut up you! i bet you're some proper trekkie and just as bad as me with levels of obsessed-ness! :( the episodes i have seen i liked, i loved the crazy drunkard, i just don't watch it religiously.

Peter did smell good though

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh! ;) am i the only one who didn't smell the guests? haha!