Guest Cancellation

showmasters

as much as i am truly gutted, at least its saved me a few hundred quid as now there is no reason for me to go, unless sm pull something amazing out of the bag. i wait with bated breath.

yeah, im mainly goin for dirk and dwight myself so if god forbid they cancel then i wont be going. but so far i am. just more cool guests would be such a positive thing.

i am so gutted u wont believe,why!!!!im not going now its 300 miles for me to come and with no1 there i even want to meet now it saves me a long jopurney,whats goin on anyway?last years had such a great line up and with only a coulpe of weeks left now there doesnt seem to be much goin on,im gutted!

17 Oct to 7 Dec is 51 days or 7 weeks if you prefer, i know this has been covered before but 6 shows in this period (7 if you count Midlands 2 and Sportsmania as two seperate entities) is surely too much.

Too much for SM to pull off the calibre of guests people would like

Too much for guests to want to attend

Too much for the average SM fan to fork out on, there is afterall a global credit crunch on you know!!!

I realise im covering old ground and the argument will be different shows for different people but how about 1 or 2 central shows on a bigger scale for everyone to attend??

• Moderators

Because there's no guarantee of putting together a large scale guest list on 1 or 2 dates. Those events could just as easily fall apart. That won't change cancellations etc, plus it severely limits the options available to them in terms of scheduling guests.

I'm not saying everyone can afford all the events - very few people will, but the ones you refer to are mostly aimed at different fan bases anyway. I doubt there'll be a huge amount of crossover in terms of people even wanting to attend all those events.

As for it being too much for Showmasters to pull off the guest calibre they'd like .. it's all just assumption and there's not much point in commenting on that. I have no information on why the 'big guests' haven't materialised here, and neither does any other attendee.

Anyway like you said, all old ground etc. Pretty pointless even posting this but I might as well now lol. Basically until SMs decide their business model isn't working, and is adversely affecting the guest lineups (and only they really know that), then it'll be staying this way.

I don't want to start an arguement, but i agree somthing isn't going right just lately, and i believe its too many shows. I think somone is dreaming big and is coming up with lots of cons and ideas, however its all too much to pull off.

how about 1 or 2 central shows on a bigger scale for everyone to attend??

Given that the trend has been to more shows, more geographically dispersed (from just London and MK a couple of years ago there are now Manchester, Coventry and Glasgow, conventions in Northampton (and Bedford) plus a tie-up with a con in Newcastle) and still there are calls from people for shows in Cardiff, Newcastle, Liverpool, Bristol (I think) and probably everywhere else that has a venue larger than your average village hall... If you turn round and say it's just going to be a couple of big shows, in London and MK... let's just say that you'll soon discover exactly how many people on these forums live more than say 30 miles from both those venues :poki:

Because there's no guarantee of putting together a large scale guest list on 1 or 2 dates. Those events could just as easily fall apart. That won't change cancellations etc, plus it severely limits the options available to them in terms of scheduling guests.

I'm not saying everyone can afford all the events - very few people will, but the ones you refer to are mostly aimed at different fan bases anyway. I doubt there'll be a huge amount of crossover in terms of people even wanting to attend all those events.

As for it being too much for Showmasters to pull off the guest calibre they'd like .. it's all just assumption and there's not much point in commenting on that. I have no information on why the 'big guests' haven't materialised here, and neither does any other attendee.

Anyway like you said, all old ground etc. Pretty pointless even posting this but I might as well now lol. Basically until SMs decide their business model isn't working, and is adversely affecting the guest lineups (and only they really know that), then it'll be staying this way.

how is it only sm that knows wheter the guest lineups are being affected or not? if you look at the feedback for this and some recent (and future) events then obviously something is going awry.

its then up to the fans and attendees to voice their opinions on the way SM events are headed, if we dont do this then then we are just sheep. SM get LOADS of credit when they put on the great shows they are known for and a lot of people need to realise that the only reason some of us are concerned is because we want to keep coming to the shows.

simply popping into every thread and saying we are wrong for voicing our opinions because they are not praising every move by SM is the type of outlook that will begin to drive people away from the shows. obviously sm have a large fanbase from certain tv shows, but there are other people who are just as loyal to sm and for what is getting to be much much less in return.

Not knowing how these things work i would imagine that big guests are attracted by the calibre of the other guests attending. Therefore if there were less shows and more attention to detail given to the shows that are run then like dominoes one big guest would follow another.

I realise that people all want shows in their area but if by doing this youre watering down the quality of guest then im sure people will be prepared to travel to 1 or 2 bigger shows if theres more chance of meeting the kind of guests theyd want to see.

For instance if you picked a location in the centre of England then most people would be travelling equalish distances and with more time and effort put into that one show they would be more inclined to go, seems like simple logic to me.

how is it only sm that knows wheter the guest lineups are being affected or not? if you look at the feedback for this and some recent (and future) events then obviously something is going awry.

its then up to the fans and attendees to voice their opinions on the way SM events are headed, if we dont do this then then we are just sheep. SM get LOADS of credit when they put on the great shows they are known for and a lot of people need to realise that the only reason some of us are concerned is because we want to keep coming to the shows.

simply popping into every thread and saying we are wrong for voicing our opinions because they are not praising every move by SM is the type of outlook that will begin to drive people away from the shows. obviously sm have a large fanbase from certain tv shows, but there are other people who are just as loyal to sm and for what is getting to be much much less in return.

David has not said anyone is wrong. He's just voiced his own opinion just like everyone else, and he doesn't agree with what some people said. Nothing wrong about that either.

I personally think more dates with shows also mean more options for the guests to choose from. Just think of Bruce Campbell at Midlands - he finally came to a SM event after years of trying because Midlands 1 was set at the date it was. Or Richard Dreyfuss who was almost immediately rescheduled for Midlands after cancelling Collectormania.

Before more shows were added there's been a wait of several years for guests to be rescheduled sometimes. Amanda Tapping was originally announced for C6 for example, now she's finally back on the guest list for C15. Or Miranda Otto, also originally planned for C6, and she finally came back for G-Mex two years later.