Hi Everyone

I think it's totally understandable why people are concerned, especially with less-fortunate events such as Lockdown.

I do have faith that SM/ME will get some good names and I think that E2 will be as great as E1. However, until more guests are announced me and my friends probably won't be buying our tickets any time now.

Guest bookings are understandable, however I think SM could at least announce party themes.

However, let's look forward to E2! I'm sure it'll be great!!! :P

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am focused on C14 at the moment which is going to turn out very well with the later guest announcements and hopefully Eclipse 2 will be the same. SM & ME are in a difficult position trying to sign up great guests from a show which is still active and filming so I am confident we will see some excellent guests at E2 however the announcements will be close to the event which i can understand will cause some concern. At the end of the day at least the closer the guests are announced the smaller the chance of cancellation, I know I would be gutted if they announced Masi Oka for example and then he had to cancel.

:thumbup:

Are people going to keep using Lockdown as an example for like the rest of SM and ME's existence?

Don't get me wrong, I know it was a very unfortunate set of circumstances, and things really did go wrong. However, I'm unsure of what it'll take for people to stop referring back to that, and stop assuming that every event is going to go that way.

It's simply a question of track record, isn't it? As far as signing events go, SM have a very good record, but if you look at conventions, it's rather more patchy:

Eclipse, Lockdown, Chevron 7, Aftermath, Better Than Life (and they can be excused boots on another show UK and FedconUK).

Looking at the reactions to those events, one could characterise that as one that went well (E), one that went badly (L), one that was OK-ish (C7), one that was cancelled (BTL), and in the absence of much feedback about Aftermath (perhaps unsurprising given the fairly small number of attendees) one assumes it was on the good side of OK. Hardly a sparkling roll of honour. Throw in the fact that Empire Weekend appears to be MIA, and things have gone ominously quiet on the Lockdown II front, and perhaps you can see why people have concerns.

I think the simple answer is that when SM/ME have a string of several acclaimed conventions under their belts, then Lockdown will become an atypical data point, an obvious exception. But at the moment it's just a low point in a series of mixed data, and is arguably almost as relevant a pointer as Eclipse. Assuming that the next 3,4,5 conventions come off largely successfully (and it'll only be a few months before that happens) then probably nobody will be able to cite Lockdown again as a "likely" outcome, without seeming churlishly selective. But until then I think it's very much "in the mix" when people are considering previous convention "performance".

I think the problem is that if SM doesnt give us (good) new guests people wont buy tickets

and if they dont buy tickets they cant give us new guests

thats a devils trap

would be interesting to know how many tickets are left in general

havent bought mine yet

I dont know about lockdown or anything ... this would be my first con (sadly I couldnt make it to e1 even though I had tickets) so I am really hoping on the words

"new guest announcement on monday" or something like that

by this time before Eclipse 1 we had had 4 guests announced (granted 3 of them cancelled and were replaced) and the party themes, come on SM, we need to know the party themes so we have plenty of time to think of and put togther our costumes.

Edited by Quinny83

I'm definitely not !

Now I can safely say that every other event organized by Showmasters or Massive Events have had guest announcements while Eclipse 2 is still stuck with the same 2 guests. I have now decided about a deadline after which I won't attend the event and will prefer going to that event in Germany or stay home. My trust in this event has declined exponentially.

I'm definitely not !

Now I can safely say that every other event organized by Showmasters or Massive Events have had guest announcements while Eclipse 2 is still stuck with the same 2 guests. I have now decided about a deadline after which I won't attend the event and will prefer going to that event in Germany or stay home. My trust in this event has declined exponentially.

Can you give me information about the event in germany? I haven't heard anything about that and I'm very interested in that..

Greez

I'm definitely not !

Not true - Lockdown didn't have a guest announcement for four and a bit months and the party themes weren't announced until just a few weeks before the event and that turned out to be an amazing event!

At the time of Lockdown it felt as though Eclipse 1 was getting most of SM's attention and this time the tables have flipped, The Hub seems to get the attention (I'm not saying SM do favor one event over another, they have no reason to, but when you come on 10 times a day to check for update it does feel that way LOL).

No offence Lambourne, but I was at Lockdown, and while it was ok and I had fun, it can in no way be described as an "amazing event". I had a Gold Pass for that one too and it was definitely not value for money, and at the moment it looks like my Gold Pass for Eclipse 2 wont be either.

As exceedingly happy I am about the Buffy con, I can't get tickets for it until after Eclipse... so I'd rather see announcements for that first! A con over a year away has had a guest and a party announced, and this only has 2 guests... so sort of equivalent! I still have total faith in SM of course!! It'd just be so nice to hear some news while I'm having two totally busy weeks to the point I can't think straight... and I scratched my naffing eye! (Hope its better for CM or I'm gona be winking at everyone!!)

I need good news that isn't for a year away, but for the weekend after my first mahoosive exam! I seriously need something to look forward to or i'm gona cry!

No offence Lambourne, but I was at Lockdown, and while it was ok and I had fun, it can in no way be described as an "amazing event". I had a Gold Pass for that one too and it was definitely not value for money, and at the moment it looks like my Gold Pass for Eclipse 2 wont be either.

Each to there own I guess. It was my first (and until Lockdown 2 will be my only) hotel convention so I have nothing to compare it too. The fact it wasn't crowded and the guests were able to come to the parties etc. meant you got to know them a lot more than you would at events such as Eclipse 1 (from what I read on here) or LFACC which, in my opinion, made it an amazing event for me.

Lambourne, I was referring to the fact that since this thread has been started (30 of August I think), announcements have been made for C14, Autographica, The Hub, Midlands and even for all the events next year (Twilight, Chevron 7.2, LFCC). Today we even have another event planned for november 2009 !! But still no guests for E2 !!

And if you were happy with Lockdown, good for you. But if the same happens for Eclipse 2, I will clearly be unhappy and will definitely let it know.

bites fingernails.. come on with the guest annoucements i'm starting to get nervous.. Lockdown was a hoot but not an amazing convention, everyone made the most of it and had a good time, im really hoping for more from eclipse 2

i'm waiting for a couple of weeks before i start panicking but still i've stopped checking every day this time before eclipse 1 i was on all the time chatting there were threads up every where , this time the forum seems a bit ghost like.

Plus i miss the excitement of guest annoucements seems forever since i had a rush home for guest annoucements at 7pm and refresh like crazy more of that please :(