My first visit

Steve1985

Hey this will be my first visit to a collectomania or anything like it for that matter.

was just wondering if peopel could tell me what to expect, the usual daily goings on. i would like to go up for the 4 days and stay in a hotel but do you think there is enough going on to keep me entertained for the 4 days?

appreciate any info and thanks alot,

p.s if anyone has any photos of previous events i would love to see them = P

Hey i've been to 2 collectormania's so far. CM13 and Manchester 4. I'm addicted now. You'll have a great time. If you have a look in the collectormania 13 board there's a post your pics thread.

thanks, whats the deal on going it alone? i dont really have any friends who would be up for going so will probably have to go by myself, is that a bit wierd or do a few ppl go alone?

whats the deal on going it alone? i dont really have any friends who would be up for going so will probably have to go by myself, is that a bit wierd or do a few ppl go alone?

Dude it is an event with a high geek quotient of course 'a few' people go on their own. :P I include myself in both of those groups before anyone thinks me a hater.

Yeah i'd have to agree that 2-3 days will probably be enough (then again I have no idea of the guest list!) Going alone is cool, I normally go with me g/f but i've been to a couple without her and had almost as much fun (or more :poki: )

Book a hotel for a couple of nights and just have a great time oh and welcome!! :YAHOO:

I had my first CM (CM13) just over a week ago. I was only up there for the Sunday as I don't drive and couldn't get there otherwise.

It was made of WIN. I was having to restrain myself from the dealers area which had everything I wanted. :P

But I went by myself but ended up meeting loads of people, some I already knew from other things but then loads of others. I think you just have to be willing to say hello to people.

Hopefully, I'll see you at CM14!

My advice would be to attend on the Saturday and Sunday, that way if you miss out on getting anyone on the Saturday you can try again on Sunday.

Also there are always guests who only appear on one day and I think it's more likely they'll be there on either the Saturday or Sunday rather than just Monday or Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

CM13 was my first visit, I went for just the day and was quite busy for one day it can be a bit over whelming if you don't know who you really wanna see as there are so many guests..but i was quickly addicted. given the option i would have liked two days but i was taken by friends although i wandered around quite often on my own. Everyone was really great and i could have spent a fortune. My advice go for a couple of days and i'm sure you'll love it. :thumbup:

Ive been going for a while and my best advice is just get there early and if all the guests you want are appearing on a fri or mon go then instead, much quiter : )

Also if you stay till about 4/5 it tends to quiten up and you get some good merch looking time : )

thanks, whats the deal on going it alone? i dont really have any friends who would be up for going so will probably have to go by myself, is that a bit wierd or do a few ppl go alone?

I've been to most of the Collectormanias alone. Just don't be afraid to start up conversations with people. They're generally nice. Honest. :blush:

• 2 months later...

My first show was C4 way back and i havnt missed one since! I've also been to a couple of the Manchester shows and the last 4 LFCC's. I tend to spend the whole weekend at the show if possible and always find it a bit hard going by the Sunday afternoon :uhoh: .

Normally the bigger guests are spread out over the weekend but some are able to attend for the 2,3 days whatever so i normally get to meet everyone i want to :wub: .

I go with friends, but may be attending C14 on my todd which doesnt bother me as there is always someone to shoot the breeze with at the show as we are friendly bunch all in all!

Do what you can manage to do and you will be guarenteed a cracking weekend. I always do :thumbup:

Like mousybrown said, the weekends get very manic purely for the fact it's in the centre of the MK shopping centre and there is thousands of casual shoppers trying to "spot the star".

I try to avoid them but obviously it depends on the guestage.

They should rejig the merchandise stalls around every day, that way you'll think you're looking at new dealers and you can spend more time there! :wub:

Hi, I was in a similar situation recently. I went to the first event of this type I'd ever been to this month (London), and it was great! Totally hooked now and would definitely go again, in fact I'd be going to this one if I wasn't starting a new job in Sep :help: . I was 100% by myself too and didn't know what to expect, and it was fine. Everyone there is out to have fun and all the staff were really helpful. I could only go for the one day on Sunday as at the moment I work on Saturdays and I found that to be ok as all the people I wanted to see were there that day, but that's partly because I ran out of money! :thumbup: I could have had a total spree on the stalls if I was rich, haha.

Have fun at C14 anyway! :wub:

I usually go to these events on my own (and I'm so shy I have to psyche myself up just to talk to people in the autograph queues :smile: ) but I always end up having a blast! This'll be my twelfth, not all SM-run though. I've made several good friends through these events that I always look forward to meeting up with.

Having said which, unless you're really going to check out the dealers and traders in detail, and getting an autograph from absolutely everyone, that maybe two days or three might be better than all four. Certainly there are many things to do outside the event - I believe there's a theatre fairly close by - and it's taken me a couple of days before now to get a virtual ticket for one of the really popular guests (but that was purely me getting up too late *rolls eyes* ) but usually two or three days is enough for me.

Hope this helps. You'll have a great time!

Jay

I went to my first Collectormania event in Coventry in March and had a fantastic time. Got to meet some interesting people and the staff were all really helpful and friendly. Got to meet some amazing guests too.

One thing i would say though is that it can be mighty expensive if like me youre like a kid in a sweet shop, theres just soooooo much stuff you can but its crazy. Luckily i had the girlfriend with me and she kept me reigned in a bit :)