Request to Showmasters re Forum

picard25

I use the forum mainly to see what new guests have been announced,and,unfortunately,to see who has cancelled and,as the 'show time' approaches,what days guests are attending and photo shoot info.This,to me,is very useful as I can plan my time at the conventions and work out what talks/photo shoots I can get to.

The problem is that SM posts the topic 'Guest attending days',for instance, which is just what I want but this post is then followed by numerous members posts,which I am sure they feel they need to make ,but I do not need to read.As it is possible that SM might have added/amended something relevant inside all these posts I have to scan through them all.

Therefore could ALL SM posts be kept in the top half of the forum page and LOCKED so only they can update the information.Then it is easy to just check the date of the last post and see if anything has changed.Members have the entire topic section of the page to post whatever they like.

I now await the 250+ reasons why this can not work :vader:

That just spams it all up in my opinion... and surely if SM were going to post deep into discussion in the announcement thread, they would do the same in the discussion thread so there would be the same problem?

(As if you're talking about another forum that does this, it goes the same way...)

If you didnt allow people to comment on threads then youd just end up with loads of new threads asking simular questions about it. At least this way everythings together and as Ducky J said, if its important they tend to post a new thread altogether or edit the main most.

• Moderators

Yep, the guest days and other information need discussing as there'll always be questions on whatever is given .. and really, if SMs edit something they tend to put "updated on .." or something.

It's not very confusing really :wub:

Yep, the guest days and other information need discussing as there'll always be questions on whatever is given .. and really, if SMs edit something they tend to put "updated on .." or something.

It's not very confusing really :P

Actually, I disagree. Other information, fair enough, but guest appearance days?I don't know what can be discussed there apart from, "I can't make that day...or great". I'd say a locked thread would be useful.

It's not very confusing really

Yes but if you are like me and can only check under limited time at work, there are so many events run by showmasters now (a good thing). You repeatedly see "latest guest announcement" in "last post," on the main page. You higlight the thread on the main page and it will say for example "latest guest announcement - malcolm mcdowell" who was announced ages ago. So you dont think there have been anymore guests announced. Its only when you go in and see that X, Y and Z have been announced, however as the Malcolm McDowell thread was updated by someone going eg "Great Guest," its showing as the latest Then you have to open each individual guest event and check

So it is really time consuming as people update the guest announcenents. Unless you have the time to spend 10 minutes plus opening each event everyday :P

Just as a suggestion, I dont know if its techinically possible, but perhaps on the main page the latest guests could be automatically pinned under the dates/moderators list on the undex page the same time they are announed? Obviously just in text?

But like i said, yes its a good idea to do that but if you do its just going to spam the board with everyones questions/comments about it. Some of us yes can spend more time a day online, but seeing the same kinda topic by 4/5 different people on one subject would just be insane. It's more compact to keep them all together.

I can see your point but it doesnt make any sense to lock the threads. Maybe if you suggested Showmasters actually update the main website more then that would be understandable.

• Moderators

Actually, I disagree. Other information, fair enough, but guest appearance days?I don't know what can be discussed there apart from, "I can't make that day...or great". I'd say a locked thread would be useful.

Well they get posted, and then something's different from a photo shoot day (as has happened a couple of times this event alone) and people can ask 'so hey, why's so n so appearing on *** but their photo shoot is on ***' ..

I'd rather not have separate topics for stuff like that - because what would the alternative be? Them asking in the photo shoot topic? But of course that'd probably have to get locked too under this 'new initiative' that's being suggested.

Granted there's always going to be a more efficient way of doing things - I think it works when they change a title to reflect an update for example, then at least you know something's been added or changed.

Or, simple as, you just click on SM's user profile and search for "all posts by this user"... thats what I do if I don't have the time

Sydney, do what I said before ^^^ That takes 2 secs. No reason not to if you're stuck for time.

(Though I bet someone will find a reason....)

• Showmasters Admin

I use the forum mainly to see what new guests have been announced,and,unfortunately,to see who has cancelled and,as the 'show time' approaches,what days guests are attending and photo shoot info.This,to me,is very useful as I can plan my time at the conventions and work out what talks/photo shoots I can get to.

The problem is that SM posts the topic 'Guest attending days',for instance, which is just what I want but this post is then followed by numerous members posts,which I am sure they feel they need to make ,but I do not need to read.As it is possible that SM might have added/amended something relevant inside all these posts I have to scan through them all.

Therefore could ALL SM posts be kept in the top half of the forum page and LOCKED so only they can update the information.Then it is easy to just check the date of the last post and see if anything has changed.Members have the entire topic section of the page to post whatever they like.

I now await the 250+ reasons why this can not work :D

250 reasons ? DUN :dance:

guests days and prices updated

jason :D

Or, simple as, you just click on SM's user profile and search for "all posts by this user"... thats what I do if I don't have the time

Thats what anyone should do, who isnt interested in other comments, so simple

I was wondering why the guest days arn't on the main home page for Collectormania yet, there usually up there by now, arn't they?...

I know there in the thread that we are supposed to be discussing here, but some people (as I have said before) do not go on the forum and it just unusual not to see them there already, under each picture of each guest who is going to C13..

Back to the main topic at hand, I think that the thread should be locked, as many a time people have started there own threads anyway even if there are those trying to keep there question relating to what days guests are coming, in the same thread as showmasters thread letting us know what days there coming. Each to there own, do agree that its a pain reading other posts that are in the same topic, when all I want to know is who is coming when etc...

There are a lot of people that may not know/think to do this, or newbies (and people who have been posting here for some time) who have no clue about doing this, so locking the post IMO really isn't that bad an idea.

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

I think it's a good idea to have the announcements, etc, locked topics. There can always be additional discussion topics made by other members. There are far too many similar posts to have to wade through, like any message board you'll get people who just post for the sake of it rather than contribute anything relevant.

I think it's a good idea to have the announcements, etc, locked topics. There can always be additional discussion topics made by other members. There are far too many similar posts to have to wade through, like any message board you'll get people who just post for the sake of it rather than contribute anything relevant.

But if there are discussion topics, Showmasters will just repond to those instead of the main thread, which means people will have two threads to check instead of one.

You have to weigh up the two options, any significant updates could be posted in the sticky thread, hardly a big problem. There are plenty of moderators on hand to keep things up to date and in my opinion there's far too much inane chatter, it's a wonder the forum team can pick out the posts that are relevant sometimes.

But if there are discussion topics, Showmasters will just repond to those instead of the main thread, which means people will have two threads to check instead of one.

I think its a stupid idea.

Sorry, but have to agree. if we did this we'd have : -

1) A thread about a Jeri Ryan announcement (hint)

2) Endless threads asking about what she'll sign, whether there's a photoshoot, etc.

Would just spam up the forum.

I don't see the problem - if this is the biggest issue we've got on this forum we're doing something right.

ahem, yes if Jeri Ryan (another hint) was announced, there would be that problem. Also, Chris, if someones got a specific qn in a discussion thread, SM will answer it there cos its related. They can't keep adding to the sticky for every question cos there could be loads. I've noticed for anything really imp, they make a new thread with their response.. but for something simple, its too time consuming.