Guest cancellation: Henry Ian Cusick

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everyone else I am disappointed that the main headline guest has cancelled. In view of what has previously been posted though, I am not totally surprised.

I will be attending the event, and am not looking for a refund. I hope it is enjoyable as ECLIPSE.

I live in hope that LOCKDOWN 2 will be able to provide the guests that LOST fans would really want to see.

:vader:

I am not sure I really get the point you are making here??

Are you saying that attendees should be offered a refund every time one of their favourite guests cancel???

If so, all that would happen is that hundreds would book an event knowing that they can cancel and receive a refund ??

That just isnt practical.

You're wrong...

Sorry but you're thinking as they want you think...

You tell it's no practical, because SM has so much cancelations every week...

But if they thought (when they have to announce someone) that they engage their responsability and they have to refund, they would act as some others organisers who did not announce guests 5 or 6 months before the events, but only 2 or 1 month before...

It is reducing the chance of cancelation...

You told it's non practical because you live with cancelation, cancelation is becoming something "normal".

It's not the reality of all the organisers !

I will tell you a story : Once upon a time... there was convention without cancelation loooooooooooooooool

And at the end the will marry and have a lots of children :vader:

I am not sure I really get the point you are making here??

Are you saying that attendees should be offered a refund every time one of their favourite guests cancel???

If so, all that would happen is that hundreds would book an event knowing that they can cancel and receive a refund ??

That just isnt practical.

You're wrong...

You tell it's no practical, because SM has so much cancelations every week...

But if they thought (when they have to announce someone) that they engage their responsability and they have to refund, they would act as some others organisers who did not announce guests 5 or 6 months before the events, but only 2 or 1 month before...

You told it's non practical because you live with cancelation, cancelation is becoming something "normal".

It's not the reality of all the organisers !

I will tell you a story : Once upon a time... there was convention without cancelation loooooooooooooooool

And at the end the will marry and have a lots of children :vader:

Oh I think if tickets became refundable then people would book right away , hoping for mega guests

Life isnt perfect so cancelations will always happen as actors have to go with work offers etc, so all that would happen is that attendees would then cancel to suit themselves and claim a refund.

Just isnt practical ...

But is this system fair and normal ?

Is it normal that 100% of the charges of the cancelations is for attendees and never organisers ?

I just want to discuss about this system...

I'm speaking about the system and i know a lots of people think like me but don't want to tell it.

Yes. This system is normal. I know of one organiser who was giving refunds on the ticket, and that event was cancelled just this week. Organisers do need some financial basis to work on. The costs for the guests are not the only costs they incur for such a show, just as lams has said.

Fair... Well...

I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly here:

They announce actors without engaging their responsability... so they can't announce enormous name and after cancel (with or without reason, of course with HIC, we know the reasons, but we know it since a long time !) and when they announce the cancelations, they lose nothing because there's no possibility of refund.

The number of cancelations is increasing always and always (4 of the 6 guests at Eclipse).

What exactly do you think SM can do to "engage an actors responsibility"?

Do you expect them to put in their contracts "you have to pay 10000 quid if you don't make it to the show"?

Honestly, how many guests would sign a contract like that?

This really sounds like you are hinting SM are making very light phrased contracts with the guests on purpose just so that they can throw out the names.

Organisers making sure that guests appear has already been discussed on several forums before.

Some fans have actually suggested that the organisers should sue the non-appearing actors for damages. But again, what reputation would that give SM or any other organiser?

SM are trying to accept responsibility. This is another vibe I am getting from your post, the thought "they do not really care." They have apologized to us, explained what happened and they were trying to cheer people up.

What would people have said if they had just dished out a "sorry, HIC has cancelled" statement?

Also they are working on a replacement. They really can't do much more than that. :P

I have a Gold Pass and yes, I am disappointed too. Of course I've seen the guest list at their other shows and was hoping they'd get Sawyer, Locke, Ben or another one of my favorites because they have always been getting "big names" as some people call it to their shows. But still, it's a Lost event. I love the show, and I am going to have fun there regardless of who shows up. It's not always the well known names making an event special.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. SM can't do more than trying their best. :vader:

With HIC's cancellation, they won't probably loose as much money as before

Not necessarily. It's two weeks before the show. It's pretty likely that flights have already been booked. We're at the point now where appearance days are normally being posted for Collectormania, so this is possible. Depending on the tarif they might not be able to change those anymore and lose money there.

• Moderators

You're wrong...

Some of what you say comes across as jokey, while other parts just makes it seem like you're accusing people of blindly following Showmasters/Massive Events and are incapable of their own thought?

It's perfectly understandable if people actually DO agree with the way things are run.

they would act as some others organisers who did not announce guests 5 or 6 months before the events, but only 2 or 1 month before...

Yes, this is reducing the chance of cancellations. But it's also reducing the chance of fans booking for the events. Less bookings means normally less guests attending.

If this is the way the other organiser has chosen as a good way to work, good on him. Showmasters have chosen a different way for themselves.

Just think of the countless "when can we expect the next guest?" or "Anymore guests to come?" topics we have for every event here. :vader:

Oh I think if tickets became refundable then people would book right away , hoping for mega guests

I absolutely agree with you here.

And yes, I do think cancellations are an absolutely normal thing to happen at a convention.

You're wrong...

Erm... excuse me?

Just because I am agreeing with the way Showmasters (and if I could name them here six other organisers I remember from the top of my head) are handling things I am some kind of brainwashed zombie:blink:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

But is this system fair and normal ?

Is it normal that 100% of the charges of the cancelations is for attendees and never organisers ?

I just want to discuss about this system...

I'm speaking about the system and i know a lots of people think like me but don't want to tell it.

Yes, it's fair and normal.

Regardless of what SMs say - and it's natural for any organiser to ask for support and hope the fans stay true to them - we're all aware of how things can change and that we need to take that into consideration alongside any statements which are made.

David, i just cut your message so that the post would not be so long.

You don't understand what I said.

I never ask to have a refund !!!!!

A refund is impossible !!!!

I just think that if organizers, when they have to announce a guest, have to think that if he (or she) cancel they would have to refund, they wouldn't announce guest so easily and such a long time before the event.

I think to the refund as a nuclear bomb...

A nuclear bomb doesn't exist to be used, it's only a disuasion weapon...

If the organisers wrote in their rules "refundable", they would have this weapon on the head and you would see that the number of cancelations would be so strongely reduced, because the would act as responsable people...

If this is the way the other organiser has chosen as a good way to work, good on him. Showmasters have chosen a different way for themselves.

yes.. and congratulations for having the world record of cancelation too :thumbup:

You know... you tell that they decided to work in a different way... but with all their cancelations... they never announced their guests sooner as the other organizers, because all the guests announced few months sooner are always canceling...

At the end, if you see the guests for Eclipse, they have been announced at the end (as the others organisers)... so they win nothing when they announced actors so soon...

Edited by sebastianillyria

A nuclear bomb doesn't exist to be used, it's only a disuasion weapon...

If the organisers wrote in their rules "refundable", they would have this weapon on the head and you would see that the number of cancelations would be so strongely reduced, because the would act as responsable people...

Sorry, but I am honestly not sure if I am understanding where you coming from.

Everything you say leads to "SM are letting people cancel on purpose."

Cancelations happen and will never be decreased if an event is risking to lose money from tickets.

I just think that if organizers, when they have to announce a guest, have to think that if he (or she) cancel they would have to refund, they wouldn't announce guest so easily and such a long time before the event.

Fans want guest announcements before the show. People need to make their minds up if to come or not. Eclipse had people coming from the US. Getting an affordable flight from let's say Chicago to London one week prior? Impossible. I know I paid 3 times the price I pay when I plan in advance when I made a spur of the moment decision to come to C10. And that was about a month prior and from Frankfurt only.

yes.. and congratulations for having the world record of cancelation too :thumbup:

Larger number of events and larger numbers of guests at an events will automatically lead to a higher number of cancellations.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

You know... you tell that they decided to work in a different way... but with all their cancelations... they never announced their guests sooner as the other organizers, because all the guests announced few months sooner are always canceling...

Always? Had you even said often I would have agree with you, but this is simply not true.

Paul McGillion was announced with Patrick Stewart for C13 - not cancelled.

Andrew Divoff was announced in September for Lockdown if memory serves me correct - not cancelled.

You lost me at nuclear bomb :thumbup:

Explosive things being to distracting for you, David? :lol:

• Moderators

Well I have to say a refund is slightly less dangerous than a nuclear bomb :thumbup:

Also I have to say that quite often the standard of guest at Showmasters events compared to some others is a lot higher. They aim for people that are trickier to get, and often unexpected .. and yes, I believe this often leads to problems. It's unfortunate, but I'd personally rather have them try than not.

Also I have to say that quite often the standard of guest at Showmasters events compared to some others is a lot higher. They aim for people that are trickier to get, and often unexpected .. and yes, I believe this often leads to problems. It's unfortunate, but I'd personally rather have them try than not.

I was just going to edit this part in my answer with the larger numbers.

Thanks for saving me typing. :thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

The number of cancelations is increasing always and always (4 of the 6 guests at Eclipse).

Purely a statistical thing here. But it wasn't 4 out of 6 guests who cancelled it was 4 out of 10 :thumbup:

Sorry, I just noticed this getting quoted a lot, and the math person inside of me had to correct it. My bad.

SJ

xox

Sucky.

Buttt.... Hayden Greg AND Zack dident make it to Eclpise and it was still a kick ass event. I mean Hayden.Shes an A lister and people really kicked off about that..

Im not going but im sure it will be a great event for everybody. A guest is only a guest and you only get a picture and an auto anyway!

Sucks to be the showmasters people right now il bet =p. Hope you get another guest sooooon!

Fans want guest announcements before the show. People need to make their minds up if to come or not. Eclipse had people coming from the US. Getting an affordable flight from let's say Chicago to London one week prior? Impossible. I know I paid 3 times the price I pay when I plan in advance when I made a spur of the moment decision to come to C10. And that was from Frankfurt only.

yes... fans want real guests annoucements... not false annoucement of actors who always canceled :thumbup:

Larger number of events and larger numbers of guests at an events will automatically lead to a higher number of cancellations.

And i don't understand how you can be so much to be ok with that...

What you said is stupid... they could announce more guest whithout more cancelations, if they announce people who can really come (so the consequence is that their announces has not to be 6 months before the event).

What you said is : there is more cars, so there is more accidents...

You can have more cars without more accident, if people know driving...

It's the same thing, if SM wants to be the best, they could have more guests without more cancelations... if the make a good job...

this has become farsical

the writers strike has caused problems Lost is going into its final two seasons it has lost a lot of episodes this year because of the strike

what would you rather have? the show dying with a wimper cause people want the guests here the show to go out with a bang cause they filmed episodes with no one putting pressure on them cause they are disappearing half way round the world

yeah i'm disappointed that we have no main cast but thats the way the cookie crumbles

having been to Eclipse last weekend end i back Showmasters all the way to make this a success

Purely a statistical thing here. But it wasn't 4 out of 6 guests who cancelled it was 4 out of 10 :lol:

Sorry, I just noticed this getting quoted a lot, and the math person inside of me had to correct it. My bad.

SJ

xox

it's a way to see...

40% of cancelation is not enormous ?

Just want to say thay the 4 last are announced just because the 4 first canceled...

So about the 6 first announced, there has been 4 out of 6...

You will not learn me mathematics :thumbup:

perhaps you could ask to noah... he could help you :))))

• Moderators

So Seb, you're basically accusing Showmasters of doing fake announcements for guests that can never come?

How do they actually rectify that? I mean even if they announced guests later, there's still that chance of a cancellation ..

yes... fans want real guests annoucements... not false annoucement of actors who always canceled :thumbup:

Okay, so I did get you right the first time. You are accusing SM of making false announcements.

And i don't understand how you can be so much to be ok with that...

What you said is stupid... they could announce more guest whithout more cancelations, if they announce people who can really come (so the consequence is that their announces has not to be 6 months before the event).

What you said is : there is more cars, so there is more accidents...

You can have more cars without more accident, if people know driving...

It's the same thing, if SM wants to be the best, they could have more guests without more cancelations... if the make a good job...

I asked you about a page prior what on earth you expect SM to do to "make the guests come"? You still didn't answer that. They are doing a good job, if you believe it or not - obviously you don't.

Sometimes you have to take risks to be the best. If you take risks, sometimes things turn out well, sometimes they don't.

Coming back to your example: yes, if there are more cars there are more accidents.

"People knowing how to drive" is not the only factor involved in an accident. More cars around are an other factor. The same goes for convention announcements and everything else. There's countless factors involved in every single thing.

At the point when they announced Henry SM expected him to come. At that point nobody knew how long the writers strike would take and how bad the aftermath would be. SM couldn't know, they are not psychic. Are you? :lol:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

i'll say it one time and not another !

that's i don't understand here it's when we learnt the strike ended WHY they didn't do an announce to say maybe hic couldn't come but we'll work to find someone else maybe 'cause they wanted to sell more ticket about hic like BIG GUEST start and it's not fair !

sebastianillyria, can you please just give it a rest? you're making a fool of yourself because you quite clearly have NO idea what you're talking about.

Yes of course... I don't know what i'm talking about...

so i have just to give my money and to close my ...

I don't know what i'm doing here... i'm speaking with people who can't accept the only complain against SM...

And I saw you're only the same to answer me... so i'm wasting my time trying to discuss with you.

The conclusion of that will be how much people will be finally at Lockdown...

If 50% of attendees who have a pass don't go to Lockdown, i think there would have a been a little problem...

that's i don't understand here it's when we learnt the strike ended WHY they didn't do an announce to say maybe hic couldn't come but we'll work to find someone else maybe 'cause they wanted to sell more ticket about hic like BIG GUEST start and it's not fair !

Because they are only thinking about money, money and money.

if they could have sold more pass with the name of HIC, it would have been good for us... :thumbup:

And finally the could cancel him at the end, the no-refundable rules is very good for that...

Those "maybe" announcements are kind of a double sided thing.

There will be people panicking if something of that sort is posted, like the rumour Hayden wasn't going to LFACC last year.

They informed us when they knew for a fact that HIC wasn't coming.

I see why you'll prefer the first option, but the second one does have its bonuses too. :thumbup: