Official Photographer

grawlix

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh!!! It's not that bad but he should have taken another shot of you! You do look a little doped up! hee hee

God I am dreading my Milo & Adrian one! I think we should start a "dodgy photo" thread for when they arrive!! ha ha ha

Thanks for posting it :band:

I just bobbed down to get to Haydens height. The flash is a bit of a problem as it brings out shiny bits on faces - I now take a powder compact with me and have a quick dab when I get to the front of the queue. Easy for girlies but I doubt fellas want to be seen with a powder puff.

I noticed most people had shiny faces during the photoshoot. The guests were hot and it was worse for us packed together like that in the queue.

Pssh, fine. I didn't even know I could pull a face like this, LOL. It looks worse on the actual photo, too, there are extra shadows and stuff that aren't showing up on this tha tmake my face all... weird ;)

phejacksmall2.jpg

I love it. :thumbup:

Personally I hate the blue background, Its OK but itr could be infinately better at a low cost.

As i Sugested earlier if they use a flag or printed curtain they could auction it off at the end, Signed by the cast.

Seriously wouldnt that be a good idea? especially for the eclipse as it is one event for a specif purpose

LFCC could have had a logo flag of the event at least so people can see the images and see where they were from. i see load of people with james masters but have no idea where it was taken as its just so "generic" which i find boring.

having a opiece of event memoribilia possibly signed, would be so much better wouldn't it?

i dont mind my photo, i dont mind the background or the lighting.

i wisht hough..it had been portrate...because its landscape(horazontal) and it just dosntl ook right...PLUS..i spent forevr and a day picking out what i was gonna wear for it..haha show more of my outfitttt:D

oh well..i came away..happy and reallly glad that they had it developed before i left..or id have been screwd..donno my irish address yet and itd have gone to canada.

Personally I hate the blue background, Its OK but itr could be infinately better at a low cost.

As i Sugested earlier if they use a flag or printed curtain they could auction it off at the end, Signed by the cast.

Seriously wouldnt that be a good idea? especially for the eclipse as it is one event for a specif purpose

LFCC could have had a logo flag of the event at least so people can see the images and see where they were from. i see load of people with james masters but have no idea where it was taken as its just so "generic" which i find boring.

having a opiece of event memoribilia possibly signed, would be so much better wouldn't it?

That's a brilliant idea I think

I just think they should get a new photographer, i know a con i go to a lot they got a new photographer and at 1st he wasnt that amazing but hes go so much better but this guy ive heard so many ppl not happy and he's always shouting at ppl i know they need to move fast but Not lightspeed fast....

I have no problem with a blue background but the framing (heads chopped off!) and lighting bug the hell out of me... especially as they're supposed to be professional photos.

Don't! You're giving me Elijah shoot flashblacks.

Most of Elijah missing? Check. Huge blank space above my head that chould have been used to get more of Elijsh in the shot (aka below his neck)? Check. Off centre? Check!

Very 'professional'.

Hi

I thought the photographer was great given the circumstances and we're pleased with the quality of the shots.

Steve

I don't think "circumstances" excuse the quality of these shots. "Given the circumstances" Ok this statement alone is a problem, do you mean the circumstances that showmasters tried to get 1000's of potos through in a short amount of time? If that is the case then the circumstances should be changed, there were no limitations on the photoshoot they sold as many tickets as they could and it seems with complete thought of quantity over quality. now I understand that lots of people wanted a photo session and to offer it to everyone who wanted to pay was good too, but just look at the amount of complaints , the quality of the shots is poor and there is massive room for improvement. next year save yourself some money have the guest sit down in a booth (like a photo booth or one of them "Picasso" drawing machines) press a button to have your picture taken and move on. that would give us the same quality shots we have now + if it were like a passport photo booth it would even prin your photo. this would save showmasters money and we would have the same end result.

The photographer wasn't a bad guy in my experiences with him, he looked knackered. but the job is hard. it was the process used that caused issues. It was advertised as a "Professional" photo session. I dont see what was professional about it, I expected the end result to be a professional image and it certainly wasn't.

Is it the fact that he had an expensive camera? is it because he gets paid to take photos? Is it because he had that "I''m an artist" goatee that made him a professional?

What do you class as professional. Personally I think it is someone highly adept at the task they are described as a professional of. In this case i would have expected him to have studio lighting equipment, a complimentary backdrop and use the settings best for creating stunning imagery.

Just because your camera is capable of 8+ megapixel shots does not make you a professional.

He does shout but he also apologises a lot for it as well. I had to stop myself from laughing when he first started shouting but I can see why he has to do it. There's limited time to get through a lot of photos, if everyone is coming in trying to shake hands or hug the guests or have a chat then the photoshoot would just drag out.

Malcolm did the best he could. He didn't even know who the Heroes guests were so he had NO idea how popular their photoshoots were going to be.

It's a constant learning curve with these shows, the more constructive suggestions received then the more Showmasters will pay attention and look to improving certain aspects. I know I wouldn't wanna read through thread after thread if it's just full of people mouthing off about what went wrong. Not saying that everyone in this thread is doing that, a lot of you are making valid suggestions and I'm sure it's appreciated.

iv never heard Malcolm shout at all, never mind AT anyone :poki: .end of the day,he does it for a living.he knows what he's doing and what works best.if he didnt,he would get any work. lol

Only if by "knows what he is doing" you mean that he knows how to get as many shots as possible with as little margin for error in the shortest space of time possible.

I think in this case we are not questioning his quality as a photographer we don't know what his usual work is like but it's obvious in this case that the majority are unhappy with the quality of the shots they had at the end. We were all told they would be professional photographs and the quality of these shots does not back up that statement. He wasn't interested in getting the beast shots he was interested in getting all the shots done with as little equipment as possible.

I'll bet if we look at his other works that he has an amazing portfolio (did SM even look at this before hiring him, or any photographer, for what reasons was he chosen) but the shots he has taken here are poor, bad lighting, subject off centre in most shots. nobody had time to relax. There is a reason we as photographers ask people to say cheese. It stops you thinking of posing and give the photographer a perfect 2 second window to get a shot of you being natural.

Malcolm may be a good photographer, but I'll bet none of these shots are what he would consider his best work or even good work

P.S He would easily get work as a photographer even if he was bad at his job, people are crying out for photographers all you need to do is come up with some creative pictures and undercut the next guy. I do it part time and make a decent wage on the side. however I care about every shot I take, weddings and parties are different to conventions as i take as many photos as I want and then get paid for the good ones so I have to care. In this case it was get paid per photograph and the only need to re take a pic is if you are cropped or blurred. so why bother with extra effort for quality eh?

(To be classed as a professional photographer I would have to consider you as an artist at the same time. these pictures are pictures, not art.)

Edited by Deap

Its all about budget time and profits.

Any professional photographer who would even call himself such would have the facility to digitally alter a picture to include a back ground on the stop especially as the back ground is blue. I have a friend who does professional photography, and it is extremely simple to replace that stuff on the fly.

Blue is also chosen as it is a neutral back ground which doesn’t occur too much in nature. So make sit easier for other colours to stand out.

If any ones interested I can give them my friends my space and web address to look at some of his work (some commissioned by Nike and Mtv).

The main reason you wouldn’t do this is cost wise. It costs you time in having to go to the computer digitally manipulate the photo and then make sure there’s no conflicts and then print.

Also, with in that time you could have taken another 4/5 photos and made more for profit for yourself.

the more constructive suggestions received then the more Showmasters

I know this is my 3rd post in a row but I have pride in the art of photography and care greatly about the medium.

I just wanted to say that I hope my comments are being taken as constructive criticisms, I was unhappy with the quality (like many others) and feel that as i have experience in this area I can offer suggestions on how to improve. I can see how my posts would come out as someone just having a moan but as I have said a Majority was unhappy with the shots and i am only pointing out the reasons why they were so bad.

maybe it was the photographers abilities maybe he was rushed, either way lots of people were unhappy is your end result so changes have to be made.

the more people who moan about their experience the better at least then yoy can get a more accurate analysis of the percentage that were happy and percentage that were unhappy.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if the topic started had a poll asking if people were, happy,unhappy not bothered and OK but room for improvement. the reason people post negative comments is because they are unhappy with something they want to see that other people have the same problems and back them up. a poll is an easier way for people to see what the rest of the people think without the need to post the same complaints.

Again I'm sorry if my negative attitude has offended or bored anyone, especially the photographer if he reads this forum (doubt it) but as well as negative comments I hope you read between the lines and see all the improvements I have suggested at the same time.

I, like everyone else who complains am just looking for confirmation that the people who organised this event see that your audience is not happy and are looking into improvements.

Any professional photographer who would even call himself such would have the facility to digitally alter a picture to include a back ground on the stop especially as the back ground is blue. I have a friend who does professional photography, and it is extremely simple to replace that stuff on the fly.

Sorry but this is rubbish, remember before the computer age where photographers used skill to get the best shots? yes people can digitally enhance photographs but when they pay for a professional photo It should look professional without need of any computerised manipulation, why should people have to edit them the camera is capable of getting better quality. Its not that blue is bad people will complain no matter what the background most peopel just feel that something themed to the guest or event would be better. at least then when you show your mates they can see you the guest and some representation of where or when it was.

I look at photos people have with Ellija wood or James Masters and cant tell where it was and weather it was in the last 5 years or not. blue is generic and boring it looks like a cheap old curtain. you cant honestly tell me that having something themed or just more interesting would be 100x better. are you really HAPPY with blue, I think its more a case of People who would prefer a better background and those who don't care, can anyone honestly say that they think this is the best way to do it or that its even close?

please look at the example I posted above showing how a better image can be taken just by amending lighting and settings and you will se that without 0% digital computerised input I have better results.

and that wasn't even using professional equipment, I used a kitchen spotlight and a cheap lens.

Edited by Deap

Thought the photographer was fine. Could not care less if he is friendly or not just want him to focus the camera and click the shutter. As is often the case the lighting appears inconsistent which made my Dom photo quite washed out but the Hayden one was fine.

Mind you he needed to be reported for that shirt.

from the ones iv seen the woprst thing really was the lighting,the whole place is like a cave.theres a limit to how much extra lighting can be used cause of the heat that comes off them.didnt want another hobbit cooking incident lol :poki:

Personally, I think it's all some sort of ridiculous conspiracy, hatched by Showmasters so that when they announce the ULTRAPLUS photoshoots, we'll pay more money willingly.

Alternatively, I could get a life.

*points Peter the Pointy Finger around the thread*

This isn’t about digitally altering images.

It’s more about applying fundamentals.

None of which have been used in any of these ‘professional’ images.

//

A poll on here wouldn’t work because you’d never get an unbiased result.

//

That blue doesn't flatter anybody! :poki: