Your day out and the Patrick Stewart mess up

dijon1322

Hi all,

just back from the show went down london sunday travelled 600mile mainly to see Patrick stewart and again as many have said what a disappointment 15 mins in at 10.15 im number 829 , well at about 60 signings a hour im going to be here in line for the next 14 hours waiting for him to sign by that time he'll be back sunning himself in america somewhere.... what a waste of time why didnt they put on the web he'd be there about 12 minutes signing!!! it just feels like such a let down going all that way to get a autograph and meet a star to come across that to be honest i felt ripped off...

oh hum after that initial disappointment i soon realised as im sure many of you did i was not at an exhibit i was actually 500 metres underground in a mine shaft that had candles as lighting and a building that was falling down, the poor light made it rubbish for taking decent pictures and the layout was awful ... people geting told they were in the way of cue and to move.... well excuse me why dont you organise it proper with a proper cueing system and i wouldnt be in the middle of a line by accident.

Ive been to milton keynes in the shopping centre and thought that was a weird setup but this topped that

so cut a long story short i got my autographs quick and did one home disappointed with a 6 hr drive back

why cant they do like the memorablia show at ***** rent a proper hall with proper parking, lighting, parking

and get it sorted, they get some great guests but sometimes i wonder can i bothered

what do you guys think?

I do partially agree with Starhunter. As soon as I arrived I noticed how dim the lighting was. I filmed the battle re-enactment and the dim lighting mad it unwatchable. I expected that the queue to see Patrick Stewart would be large as it had been with Brent Spiner at a prevous show. I was annoyed that I never got to meet Patrick Stewart but I did half expect that, so I wasn't too miffed. The layout of the show was messy too compared to Earls Court 2. Also the men's toilets were tiny. ^_^

It was still a good show though and I chatted with Michael Gross and he was so nice. There were a lot of Star Trek cosplayers that I chatted with and it was excellent fun.

oh hum after that initial disappointment i soon realised as im sure many of you did i was not at an exhibit i was actually 500 metres underground in a mine shaft that had candles as lighting and a building that was falling down,

Think of it like this, how often do you get to say you met some actors and got their sigs in a mine shaft? ^_^

Why is it no one is allowed to `complain` or voice disappointment about their experience on any aspect, without being treated at best unsympathetically or berated for being seen as disloyal?!

The original poster has my sympathy.

We personally loved our day on saturday, and are still buzzing from it, but last year was extremely demoralising, and actually quite traumatic due to the extreme heat that day outside, and th fact that even though we were there early, never got to see elijah.

I notice the person who fairly bluntly said words to the effect of `dont go, then you cant complain` sems to be down in the south east, and that isnt exactly far from the venue. I really do empathise with the original poster who came 600 miles to see Patrick. That is a mammoth feat in itself, especially by road.

We only come 100 miles, but it still takes dedication to leave the house at 2am, with little sleep in order to arrive in good time for the queue.

I was actually feeling rather phobic about coming down this year, just due to the sheer disappointment and long hours of waiting last year, just to be ultimatey beaten back by the heat. I had been totally gutted for my Son last year, and was just paranoid the day would be the same again, but it was a total antithesis of last year, and by 10am, Dom, William and Steven Speirs had all walked literally right near us. I spoke to Dom, to get his attention so my Son could take a photo, and we had a lovely chat with Steven.

We were aleady on cloud nine, and the three photo shoots my Son attended and the fact that Mads made such a fuss of him was worth so much to my Son and myself , plus we got to talk with him at length later, and ll n all the day was a huge buzz for us from start to finish!

But last year when elijah was the one guest we had waited so long to see, it was hugely morale destroying to see the numbers go down so slowly, and then knowing that even how tired you were you still had a mammoth trek home before you could collapse in a nice bath just made it pretty tough, so i really do sympathise with ppl who go such a long way only to have thir dream shattered, and i hope other ppl who think that is complaining will consider the bigger picture.

P.S..

By the way, just before anyone says `well you were beaten back by the heat..thats not the show or elijah`s fault`.. that wasnt the way it was.

We kept returning to the table were he was every hour or so to see how far up the queue we were but it was pitifully slow going due to his lunch an photo shoots. We had done the stalls to the point of insanity, and there was nowhere to sit, except outside in the heat or upstairs shut off in that canteen. We even went up to kensington high street to kill time, but it wasnt pleasant, just very noisy, plus we kept worrying ten that we would miss our spot. But on returning almost two hours later, we found he had still only done in the low hundreds, and we were 880 or something,and this was by about 3-4pm, so reluctantly we gave it up as abad job, and finally left at 4.45pm, with nothing.

I am so happy we braved it this year, however, as it cancelled out much more than the negative from last year, and we had an extremely memorable day, without one single thing going wrong

We travelled rom North of Scotland to see Patrick Stewart and thankfully we did get an autograph, we were one of the last. Added bonus of the Hereos guys being there and getting to see them at the London Eye.

Thought the crew were amazing at keeping their cool despite being shouted at be disgruntled queuers.

All in all was a good weekend.

Next time, dont go.

Then you have nothing to complain about.

I, personally, enjoyed it =]

On the account i got to hit a man that was slagging off jason

(runs the show).

So yeah..It was all good.

Well worth it,

Can't wait till october!

x

I disagree with you here. Stick up for who you like Jason, Mr Blooby, your best friend, your family, I don't care about that (I never see a need to hit anyone no matter what they said) but to be honest, if someone travels 600miles to see get 1or 2 autographs, not knowing the one main guest they want to see is signing only for a few hours, and they felt they should have been told about it in advance, then they have every right IMHO to mention it on here.

Someone should have known before the event, not just a few hours before, and therefor the public should have been informed of this, its coman sense really....

:D

LLAP :P

15 mins in at 10.15 im number 829

If this is true, then the tickets have to have been given out in non consecutive number order as I can't imagine they only gave out 50 tickets in the next half hour as at 10.45am I got 879 and 880.

Edited by BN7

Why is it no one is allowed to `complain` or voice disappointment about their experience on any aspect, without being treated at best unsympathetically or berated for being seen as disloyal?!
good question and a great post. Love to see a happy ending :) Would you believe someone has made a thread complaining about complainers! How dare anyone complain about anything eh.
I agree. That first quote about voicing opinion was one of the best things I've read on this forum ever.

to be honest, if someone travels 600miles to see get 1or 2 autographs, not knowing the one main guest they want to see is signing only for a few hours, and they felt they should have been told about it in advance, then they have every right IMHO to mention it on here.

Someone should have known before the event, not just a few hours before, and therefor the public should have been informed of this, its coman sense really...

That's right. How can anyone say "don't go then" to that?! Sounds like a pretty lame, lazy, child-ish, text-book retort to me. Anyone would be pi$$ed off after driving 6 hrs and arriving only then to discover someone was signing for a few hrs. The guy wouldn't have gone if he knew Stewart was only there for a few hrs. I didn't go in the end cos I knew he was only there one day and knew he'd be too busy then still. Edited by nicky

As the opener on the thread in question (complaining about complainers), I stand by it, even though I was questioning them more than complaining !!! What's the point in 50 threads telling us it was dark ? WE KNOOOOOOOOOW !! Crushed and busy ? Quelle surprise !!

Complain all you like, you will do that anyway ! But I just don't get people who complain because things didn't go exactly their way. If you want to arrive at lunch time, stroll straight up to a guest and have a ten minute chat, go to docklands !

Edited by dufresne

why cant they do like the memorablia show at ***** rent a proper hall with proper parking, lighting, parking

and get it sorted, they get some great guests but sometimes i wonder can i bothered

The other event in question never get really big name guests like SM do hence why they're not as packed and it's easy to walk around :D

• Moderators

The other event in question never get really big name guests like SM do hence why they're not as packed and it's easy to walk around :P

Perfectly put.

This relates into why Showmasters events get more cancellations than other ones.

Is it because there's some kinda big conspiracy where they lie about getting all these huge guests to bring in money?

Or ... let's just think about it for a minute .. is it because the calibre of guest they aim to get is higher than any other event, and therefore more risks are involved? That's a kinda sensible thought isn't it.

I'm gonna say with Patrick it was all down to timing, or I'm gonna guess.

Myself and my sis headed down to Earls Court at about 8am, and then figured out we shoulda headed out maybe an hour earlier to actually get earlier in the queue (there were lots of people infront of us).

When it became 10am the doors opened, people either casually went up the working escalator or ran up the one that was turned off, then it was a huge run to the guests. We would have gone to patrick first but the heroes guests came first to us. So we got all those after being pushed around into people a bit, and got all our numbers for them in the 200-300s then scurred over to Patrick's huge queue and got a 525 or something like that, this must have been at maybe 5 or 10 past the hour by now. There was a lot of rushing involved, but I feel if people really wanted the tickets and the autos in the end they shoulda gotten up earlier maybe?

Now just to point out, if anyone does have a moan at me about travelling or anything like that, I did come down from Wales, so I do know what it's like to not have the convienience of getting a 20 minute train or things like that.

So yeah it was a rather hectic time, especially that we ended up missing our bus home and had to pay out for a train in the end.

But it was well worth in imo :P.

thanks for all your replys guys and dolls i appreciate whats being said about this and take it on board but fact is it makes you mad when small things could be done to avoid people getting really angry... like posting on the net about patrick only being there for two hours even if its the night before at least you can set out knowing what the crack is...

that way if you wanna travel all that way you can but at least you know what to expect... also some posts on this topic probably relate to people that live about 1 hour away and quite right too you guys are real lucky but for us up north yeah sure youve got the gmex but the biggies are London and milton keynes and they really are a real trek down ... i was actually driving for 11 hrs that day and only at the show 3 hours...

i know youl see get over it etc etc etc but thats just the way i feel ...part from that like you all say and its true looking back with what showmasters had to deal with ie that cruddy hall they did a good job... couldnt help but look over to the ground floor below the exhibit and wish it had been there oh well such is life !!!

We travelled from liverpool for the weekend to go to lfcc, mainly for dominic and patrick. Although the hall was quite dissappointing esp for taking pics, i feel that the crew did the best they could. How hard is it for ppl to move away from the signing area until there vq numbers are up. the poor girl giving out the vq tickets for patrick was constantly asking ppl to move away until there numbers were up, but no one was listening to her. i actually felt sorry for her, she must have been so frustrated!

Overall i had a good time, met dom, patrick, madds and the harry potter lot and met up with some friends i hadnt seen in a while so the pros of meeting the ppl i wanted and getting to see some good friends outweighs the cons of the bad lighting and crowds of the sunday.

Oh and a pic of patrick for those of you who didnt get one cos of the no photos thing!!

100_2344.jpg

100b2312.jpg

Edited by vicki

vent your opinions by all means, but people should always know that if something goes wrong or isn't planned as best it can be, then there will be a reason behind it.

Showmasters will never try to cause themselves problems, that just wouldn't make sense.

The hall that was used was second choice to EC2 which was used last time and will indeed be used again, i have no doubt about that. EC1 was obviously in the process of being set up for a future event and so was also unavailable.

The lighting was an issue that only became apparent once the dealers had started setting up on the friday afternoon. The hall before that was dimly lit due to only half the lights being turned on by EC to conserve energy. Unfortunately, when they turned on the rest of the lights it didn't make much difference. Everybody suffered because of that, people taking photos, dealers, guests and showmasters.

As for Patrick Stewart's signing times, he did the best he could. You can't please everybody all of the time. He did however try to see as many of his fans as he could in the time slot he had available to him.