Guest Cancellation - Bill Nighy

showmasters

Bugger :YAHOO:

I wasn't going to get him as I've met him loads of times but he would have been an awesome guest!! I'm sure he'll come to another show if he finds himself free at the right time.

I hope he's working in something cool!!

And to all you conspiracy theory people........ Get a life!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all such big drama queens! :D:dance:

I was gonna meet him and I'm heartbroken I won't ... but some of the stuff in this thread is absolute nonsense. Seriously, go and have a cup of tea and a slice of cake and enjoy the glorious weather instead :YAHOO:

Okay .. ignore that last part.

I have long suspected that big name guests are announced just to get people to buy tickets, with no intention of the guest actually attending. It has been going on for ages - way before Showmasters even started up. I think its just industry practice.

while i was in london yesterday i actually saw bill near the radio 1 building i got a quick auto of him and i asked him about lfcc and he said that he will be in berlin next week filming Valkyrie which is the new tom cruise film so there is a genuine reason for him to cancel

Well in the new SFX mag he is not pictured in the LFCC advert which would suggest that his cancellation had been known for a little longer than this week . Then again Hyden is not in there now but Michael Biehn is still down as coming :P

Edited by Noddy

Well in the new SFX mag he is not pictured in the LFCC advert which would suggest that his cancellation had been known for a little longer than this week . Then again Hyden is not in there now but Michael Biehn is still down as coming :lol:

Thats interesting.................Seems Bill wasnt coming for a while then......??

Or am i missing something with what you said......?

Well in the new SFX mag he is not pictured in the LFCC advert which would suggest that his cancellation had been known for a little longer than this week .

There is of course a considerable difference between cancellation and "yes, I want to come and I know I've signed a contract, but some work has come up over that weekend. I may therefore have to cancel, but please can you give me a few weeks to see if I can work out a way of fitting in both this important work and your event."

That would seem like a decent reason not to push his appearance in magazine adverts (since his status was up in the air), whilst not announcing a cancellation since it wasn't definite. And plausible; many of the guests I suspect are reasonable human beings who would probably not want to let down somebody they have given their word to, nor disappoint their fans.

But of course, it's far more "fun" to blame the Showmasters Illuminati... :-)

Edited by TommyT

• Moderators

They're at Glasgow so it's unlikely they'll be sorting it all out until after the weekend unfortunately - luckily there's no 'attendance day' under his picture, so hopefully that might help a bit at least.

Well in the new SFX mag he is not pictured in the LFCC advert which would suggest that his cancellation had been known for a little longer than this week .

There is of course a considerable difference between cancellation and "yes, I want to come and I know I've signed a contract, but some work has come up over that weekend. I may therefore have to cancel, but please can you give me a few weeks to see if I can work out a way of fitting in both this important work and your event."

That would seem like a decent reason not to push his appearance in magazine adverts (since his status was up in the air), whilst not announcing a cancellation since it wasn't definite. And plausible; many of the guests I suspect are reasonable human beings who would probably not want to let down somebody they have given their word to, nor disappoint their fans.

What a strange last sentence :lol: Not trying to blame SM for anything just pointing out a simple fact to add to the great cancellation debate :D

What a strange last sentence :whistling: Not trying to blame SM for anything just pointing out a simple fact to add to the great cancellation debate :D

The last sentence wasn't aimed so much at you (hence its separation from the rest of the post, but more at the "sm waited until people had spent money on tickets for him then announced his 'cancellation' pretending they only just found out about it / I have long suspected that big name guests are announced just to get people to buy tickets, with no intention of the guest actually attending" conspiracy theorists.

To be equally fair the other way, saying that they probably won't update the webpage until after the weekend because they are busy at Glasgow is a bit of a cop-out (especially since immediately after a show there's the usual "SM have just finished a show and have loose ends to tie up" excuse to justify a lack of progress for a week or two). It would be a reasonable excuse if the cancellation had come through on Thursday night whilst they were probably either finishing packing or actually en-route to Glasgow, but it came through at the end of Tuesday afternoon. Not changing it then, when presumably SM knew that if they didn't change it in the next day or two it would remain unchanged for about a week (which is more than half of the time then left before the show) looks shoddy at best, and sharp practice at worst. (The cancellation did at least get announced after the online shop had closed, so you can't accuse SM of attempted deception over the subsequent sale of tickets via the (uncorrected) website).

• Moderators

Cop-out? Not really, just what I'd expect :whistling:

We all know it usually takes them a while to update the website when they're not at a show, so logically they're unlikely to do it this weekend - I was only replying to the other person.

Cop-out? Not really, just what I'd expect :smile:

We all know it usually takes them a while to update the website when they're not at a show, so logically they're unlikely to do it this weekend - I was only replying to the other person.

It's a cop-out of an excuse because it's a perfectly valid reason for not updating it on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. (See, I'm a reasonable guy, I don't expect them to log on whilst they are away and do it). But it doesn't address the fact that having had the news on Tuesday afternoon, they didn't do it before they went away, knowing that if they didn't do it then, it would be wrong for most of the time between then and the start of LFACC.

Put it this way; if at work I knew that a situation had developed and went off for a week and didn't tell our clients about it until I came back, I'd expect a major chewing-out from a senior partner or two.

• Moderators

Well that wasn't what I was addressing anyway - I was addressing why it won't be done this weekend, not why it wasn't updated beforehand. Like I said, I was just responding to the person who said it should be removed.

Cop-out? Not really, just what I'd expect :YAHOO:

It's a cop-out of an excuse because it's a perfectly valid reason for not updating it on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. (See, I'm a reasonable guy, I don't expect them to log on whilst they are away and do it). But it doesn't address the fact that having had the news on Tuesday afternoon, they didn't do it before they went away, knowing that if they didn't do it then, it would be wrong for most of the time between then and the start of LFACC.

Put it this way; if at work I knew that a situation had developed and went off for a week and didn't tell our clients about it until I came back, I'd expect a major chewing-out from a senior partner or two.

Good point. I wanted to disagree with you but cant really. The updating is poor and it really doesnt take very long,

Edited by rich5wolves