Question about personalisations

Lizzy

I met Patrick Stewart a few months ago, and he did no personalisations, so just signed my big art print. But everyone else who has signed it has put a quote on it or personalised it for me.

I'm pretty sure at LFCC he will again be no photos, no personalisations, but... heres the qn... if I still paid the £25, could I get him to put a quote on the print he's already signed? So I'm paying for that, not the sig?

I guess that'd be for his agent to say, but I was wondering if anyone else has done that before, with him or another guest, or what SM's opinion of that was?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

That is very random.

I think it's the kind of question that's only going to get answered on the day with Patrick and his agent there to decide.

You never know he may well be doing personalisations at LFCC. I agree thought that it's unlikely.

Just as a follow on random question, what quote was you thinking of having.

Its a very interesting question really. What exactly does your money pay for? If its just the autograph, then why do I have to queue up to get it if I dont want to meet the person?

Doesnt anyone else think shows like this are like shopping in Argos?

Shopping at Argos

You choose your item, join the queue to pay, you pay your money, you wait for ages, you finally get your goods but sometimes find that they are a bit crap.

Going to Shows

You choose your celeb, you join the queue, you buy your autograph ticket, continue to queue, meet the person/get autograph but sometime your expectaions are shattered because they're moody or your're russhed through.

Another way to look at this is, why do guests refuse to do personalizations? I can think of the following reasons : -

Slows things down

Definitely applies to someone like Patrick Stewart. Let's face it, personalizations slow things down. How much is debateable, but it definitely has an effect.

Indicates a 'link' where none exists

i.e. suggests to people that they 'know' you or whatever. I daresay some of the older generation of people would see this as an issue. I would imagine most of the others wouldn't give a monkeys.

It means they have to mess about

i.e. writing more, reading stuff, etc. And god forbid they actually look up and acknowledge you (Shatner and Nimoy, I'm talking to you).

So, unless they are cantankerous gits, the only real issue is number 1. And as I say, for Patrick Stewart, it's going to be a big issue - he'll be very busy I should think. It's one thing saying that it limits the amount of people able to see him, and that's true, but it also cuts into SM profits (this might sounds harsh, but SM isn't a charity after all). So, to me at least, the biggest reason for not having personalizations is 'time'.

Maybe he doesnt personalise EVER.

If you're lucky to catch him after a theatre performance, he does occasionally personalise autographs.

hehe, me and a couple of mates tried to meet him after a theatre preformance.. we asked if would sign, the convo went like this...

can you sign this please Patrick? (shows american dad dvd)

NOPE,WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

this (shows extras)

NOPE

(friend number 2) would you sign this please (star trek print)

NOPE

and he walked off, (he did sign theatre tickets and programmes mind you)

so so rude, i understand the fight against ebay BUT, have some manners.... still, hopefully get Extras signed here hey...

If you're lucky to catch him after a theatre performance, he does occasionally personalise autographs.

hehe, me and a couple of mates tried to meet him after a theatre preformance.. we asked if would sign, the convo went like this...

NOPE,WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

this (shows extras)

NOPE

NOPE

so so rude, i understand the fight against ebay BUT, have some manners.... still, hopefully get Extras signed here hey...

Hang on a minute though. I understand this completely, and don't blame him at all. I went to see him in Anthony and Cleopatra, and he was fantastic, without a doubt. Now I've never really done the 'hang around the back of the theatre' thing, but I have saved a programme, and will be bringing it with me to LFACC.

Put yourself in his shoes. You've been rehearsing and studying for this for months. You've put your heart and soul into it. It's what you see as your calling - you don't need the money any more, so you're doing theatre because you love it - it's a big part of you. After an intense 3 hour performance, you come out of the back, and a crowd congregates around you, all holding 8 x 10s of pictures of Captain Picard. Wouldn't it hack you off? At an event like LFACC, he expects it. He knows perfectly well that he's going to get hundreds of 'cast' pictures of TNG, with just his name missing. And yet he's still doing it - and I guarantee you it's not for the money. He wants you to have that signed picture, understands that you're a fan, all the rest of it - but he expects a bit of courtesy from you, just like you do from him.

To me, seeing him at the back of the theatre with a programme, and thanking him for an enchanting performance while he signs it, is one thing, that's just the fan / performer relationship, and that's fine. But hanging around just to get him to sign a picture of Captain Picard, something that has bollocks all to do with the performance he's just sweated over, is just bad manners, and I don't blame him for being short with you.

Sorry, but I think you're taking the **** out of him. Just my 2c.

Edited by MikeDonovan

NOPE,WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

this (shows extras)

NOPE

NOPE

Hang on a minute though. I understand this completely, and don't blame him at all. I went to see him in Anthony and Cleopatra, and he was fantastic, without a doubt. Now I've never really done the 'hang around the back of the theatre' thing, but I have saved a programme, and will be bringing it with me to LFACC.

Put yourself in his shoes. You've been rehearsing and studying for this for months. You've put your heart and soul into it. It's what you see as your calling - you don't need the money any more, so you're doing theatre because you love it - it's a big part of you. After an intense 3 hour performance, you come out of the back, and a crowd congregates around you, all holding 8 x 10s of pictures of Captain Picard. Wouldn't it hack you off? At an event like LFACC, he expects it. He knows perfectly well that he's going to get hundreds of 'cast' pictures of TNG, with just his name missing. And yet he's still doing it - and I guarantee you it's not for the money. He wants you to have that signed picture, understands that you're a fan, all the rest of it - but he expects a bit of courtesy from you, just like you do from him.

To me, seeing him at the back of the theatre with a programme, and thanking him for an enchanting performance while he signs it, is one thing, that's just the fan / performer relationship, and that's fine. But hanging around just to get him to sign a picture of Captain Picard, something that has bollocks all to do with the performance he's just sweated over, is just bad manners, and I don't blame him for being short with you.

Sorry, but I think you're taking the **** out of him. Just my 2c.

2c? how about £5000???

calm down, calm down

ive met loads of ppl in plays, bands whatever, only ever for my personal collection and most of the time people are good enough to sign and are very plesent to boot, photos too

now from time to time ppl are off or they just dont do it and i learn to live with it, i posted this coz i figured it would provide a few laughs more than anything BUT he was very very rude. after and enchanting play or not there are ways of handling things and even if he is in a rush or not a simple "nope, sorry" would have sufficed. what does one extra word hurt?

so, take your meds and stop ranting.... if i was that hurt by Patricks actions i wouldnt be trying to meet him at LFCC would i?

This "get other things signed after a play" discussion has been there forever and there will never be a consensus.

Some actors are okay with it, some are not. Others are okay with signing some items, but not others - see Gilian Anderson and X-Files items. For some it depends on the mood. We're all human after all. :chair:

2c? how about £5000???

calm down, calm down

ive met loads of ppl in plays, bands whatever, only ever for my personal collection and most of the time people are good enough to sign and are very plesent to boot, photos too

now from time to time ppl are off or they just dont do it and i learn to live with it, i posted this coz i figured it would provide a few laughs more than anything BUT he was very very rude. after and enchanting play or not there are ways of handling things and even if he is in a rush or not a simple "nope, sorry" would have sufficed. what does one extra word hurt?

so, take your meds and stop ranting.... if i was that hurt by Patricks actions i wouldnt be trying to meet him at LFCC would i?

lol I couldn't care less whether you're annoyed with him or not - what I'm trying to do is explain to you why he was short with you. It's not a question of whether or not you want to sell those items on (although, as I'm sure you know, people make a living by doing just that). It's a question of whether you are a fan of his, or a fan of Star Trek. If I were in a lead role in a play, I'd be a lot happier meeting some people outside who were fans of mine rather than fans of a particular role I'd long left behind, from a show that started airing 20 years ago. I'd be more interested in talking and meeting the fans who were interested in what I was doing now. After all, he's not Nimoy, or Shatner.

I have no doubt that he'll be more than happy to sign whatever you want at LFACC - that's what he's there for. But, in my personal opinion bringing it around the back of a theatre is bad manners. A lot of people would be fine with it, sure. but I don't blame him for expecting you to give him a programme to sign rather than a picture of Charles Xavier. My opinion - simple as that - you're welcome to disagree.

I will say this. Imagine being Daniel Radcliffe. You've just spent two hours with your knob hanging out on the stage in Equus, in front of an audience made up predominately of teenage girls. You've stood on the edge of the stage, tackle out, with a front row of 16 year old girls staring up in adoration at Harry Potters 3 piece suite. Then, at the end of the play, all those girls who've spent 2 hours training their binoculars on your meat + 2 veg are waiting outside the back of the theatre, in a scrum, screaming, holding copies of Harry Potter 8 x 10s for you to sign. In some ways I don't envy him :)

2c? how about £5000???

calm down, calm down

lol I couldn't care less whether you're annoyed with him or not - what I'm trying to do is explain to you why he was short with you. It's not a question of whether or not you want to sell those items on (although, as I'm sure you know, people make a living by doing just that). It's a question of whether you are a fan of his, or a fan of Star Trek. If I were in a lead role in a play, I'd be a lot happier meeting some people outside who were fans of mine rather than fans of a particular role I'd long left behind, from a show that started airing 20 years ago. I'd be more interested in talking and meeting the fans who were interested in what I was doing now. After all, he's not Nimoy, or Shatner.

I have no doubt that he'll be more than happy to sign whatever you want at LFACC - that's what he's there for. But, in my personal opinion bringing it around the back of a theatre is bad manners. A lot of people would be fine with it, sure. but I don't blame him for expecting you to give him a programme to sign rather than a picture of Charles Xavier. My opinion - simple as that - you're welcome to disagree.

I will say this. Imagine being Daniel Radcliffe. You've just spent two hours with your knob hanging out on the stage in Equus, in front of an audience made up predominately of teenage girls. You've stood on the edge of the stage, tackle out, with a front row of 16 year old girls staring up in adoration at Harry Potters 3 piece suite. Then, at the end of the play, all those girls who've spent 2 hours training their binoculars on your meat + 2 veg are waiting outside the back of the theatre, in a scrum, screaming, holding copies of Harry Potter 8 x 10s for you to sign. In some ways I don't envy him :)

I hate star trek...

i liked him X-Men, American Dad and Extras...

besides the point. Christian Slater was ok with it, Patrick wasnt. Neve Campbell and Michael Mckeen were fine with it, Patrick Swayze wasnt.. (maybe its a Patrick thing..) the thing is, they have to expect it and while i wasnt being rude in any way he couldve have been a little more polite himself. and dont say they shouldnt have to expect it, if you are famous or recognisable you will get stopped by someone, its the way of the world.

this argument wasnt the reason i posted my experience tho, it was just coz someone mentioned meeting him after a play and my experience was a funny one, (especially when my friend after being silent for ages went on a rant full with expletives...) that differed from there experience

Personaly I don't understand why all guests don't personalise things.

If somethig was to go on ebay with Patrick Stewarts auto on it, on its own it would be more likly to sell, then putting an auto of his on there with say Joe Blogs on it as well....

My point is, if the person who is getting his/her picture,dvd book or drawing etc signed has there name put on the item as well as the guest who they have come to see, maybe it would stop the amount of items being bought and quickly put on the web just to be sold on ebay?

Never understood this one myself. I can't understand why people spend so long trying to buy an autograph when all there going to do is sell it on later.

Suppose there is a lot of money in selling autographs on, though its not something I could ever see myself doing.

:chair:

LLAP :thumbup:

NOPE,WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

I think that was fair enuff that he didnt wanna sign that item and wanted something from the play, he did at least offer to sign something else.

Put yourself in his shoes. You've been rehearsing and studying for this for months. You've put your heart and soul into it. It's what you see as your calling - After an intense 3 hour performance, you come out of the back, and a crowd congregates around you, all holding 8 x 10s of pictures of Captain Picard. Wouldn't it hack you off?

That's exactly how it would feel I suspect for Shilpa Shetty if she attended a con like it has been suggested already. She worked hard in Bollywood and wants to be appreciated for that, not new "fans" who only know her cos of CBB.

I will say this. Imagine being Daniel Radcliffe. You've just spent two hours with your knob hanging out. You've stood on the edge of the stage, tackle out, with a front row of 16 year old girls staring up in adoration at Harry Potters 3 piece suite. Then, at the end of the play, all those girls who've spent 2 hours training their binoculars on your meat + 2 veg are waiting outside the back of the theatre, in a scrum, screaming
LOL. Bravo! Might I add that his crystal balls and magic wand were flapping in the wind. Edited by nicky

NOPE,WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

I think that was fair enuff that he didnt wanna sign that item and wanted something from the play, he did at least offer to sign something else.

he didnt really offer to sign anything else, kinda just demanded to know what else we were gonna ask him to sign..

stick up for him all you want but he was rude, whether he had any right to be or not.

like i said tho, if i was THAT offended i would not be coming to LFCC and paying money to get something signed there... altho as he goes to sign i may swipe it with a NOPE!*

*that was a joke, i wouldnt really waste my time, his time or my money doin this so please dont rant, moan and complain at me for this too.

Edited by snot182

he didnt really offer to sign anything else, kinda just demanded to know what else we were gonna ask him to sign..

stick up for him all you want but he was rude, whether he had any right to be or not.

This conversation reminds me of being in a school playground lol. Talking about "sticking up for him" just gives me a picture of someone standing between you and Stewart (lying on the floor with a broken nose) saying "lay off Snot, he's 'ad enough, alright, faaaking leeeeve itttt". You know perfectly well if you had produced a copy of the programme he would quite happily have signed it for you. If he'd have wanted to be rude, he would have just ignored you. Maybe if you'd have said "Oi Stewart, sign this or you're faaaking deeeedd"??

If I was you, to really make your point, this is what I'd do. Turn up at LFACC, pay your £25. Wait in the Queue. Then, when you get up to him, whip out an 8x10 closeup of your face, sign it with a silver pen and give it to him. While he stares at it, dumbstruck, just walk off without a word.

please dont rant, moan and complain at me for this too.

Everyone's got the right to their opinions as much as you have; you've got to accept people disagreeing with you. That's why these are called 'forums' and not 'soapboxes'.

woah, everyone calm down!

Ive never known him to personalise ttm much either.

He did mine.

patrickstewart2hm7.jpg

Personally I do think that at these kind of shows all guests should personalize. It's not as if that takes ages and they charge well enough.

Thats so cool you have that! Where (when if you can't say the name of a show) did you get that? How did you manage it? Fingers crossed I can follow you and get that!!

I’m with you Snot; it seems you met the Evil Stewart.

Personally I’d be pleased that somebody loved anything I’d done, and would be pleased to sign anything for a fan.

He lives in a big house, drives a big car, and got the part in the West End from doing it… it seems he has a selective memory?!?!.

What with his no personalisation at the other show, meeting him does sound a complete hoot!.

Personally I would like a personalised autograph. I really admire this man as before him and his crew, I thought Star Trek was a bit of a giggle and a laugh. Now I can appreciate the original series for what it was (not the dodgy looking paper mache rock painted purple) and I enjoy watching ALL the reincarnations.

I still hold TNG as "my" Star Trek and would feel it a priviledge to share the same space as any of the actors from the series. While I am not a fan girlie, I still find it amazing to see these people as humans and it's very dificult to remain calm and collected. The screams of "OH MY GOD" shall ring within, yet the coolness of Dirty Harry will show on the outside. It's just when I have gone home I think I will freak LMAO (and get slapped down in the process!). I've met alot of people in my short life and there are many more to come for me in the future. Just every now and again I feel the need to stand silent with an open mouth and utter "Cor Blimey".

P.S I would rather que for a long time and have everyone get their own personalised auto than be rushed through as if I was running for the latest Harry Potter book!

NOPE,WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

like i said tho, if i was THAT offended i would not be coming to LFCC and paying money to get something signed there... altho as he goes to sign i may swipe it with a NOPE!*

Lmao! Now that made me laugh.

I agree, I do think it's rude. And Tree (sorry, I don't know names yet!) made a very valid comment IMO that Stewart seems to have selective memory. I very much doubt that he would be performing in that West End production if it wasn't for the fans of Star Trek that strengthened his career and gave him the chance.

However, I agree- you want to be appreciated for what you're doing today, not 20 years ago, and it COULD be seen as rude (especially by someone with a typically 'act-orrr' diva like personality.)

Who knows what goes on in some people's head? At least you'll get SOMETHING signed at the fabulous LFACC. :)

Olly

I would like to get my Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy DVD signed by him, I wonder if I asked him to sign that outside a theatre if he would do it, bearing in mind he was in that a long time ago (pre TNG) but I would imagine he would be more smug about appearing in something like that.

I very much doubt that he would be performing in that West End production if it wasn't for the fans of Star Trek that strengthened his career and gave him the chance.
Star Trek has nothing to do with him bagging theater productions. Stewart was a classically trained actor by the Royal Shakespeare Academy (RSC along with Ian McKellan) way before 1987 when he landed Picard.