Series "3" Doctor Who

BrandinsChick

One thing I do hate is people who consider themselves to be harcore fans of the show, and then when the new series began, totally refused to accept change in the show. I still remember being at a convention in 2004 when they were in the middle of filming the 1st season, and hearing a woman in front of me in a queue saying that Christopher Eccleston was NOT the doctor because he wore a leather jacket!

To be honest there's always been an element of this with certain Doctor Who fans. When I was going to conventions a decade ago there was always a vocal minority who wouldn't accept anything post-Tom Baker.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking out lines line 'the tardis has been cannibalised' and criticising it seems far too picky to me. The Master is a genius and knows the Tardis inside out, it stands to reason he could do whatever he likes to it.

Thank you for respecting my opinion, as I do yours, but what the heck does "cannabalised the Tardis" actually MEAN ??? As a piece of dialogue, as a plot point ? Maybe I am missing something, but in my understanding of the word, cannibals are people who eat other people ....

This just felt like Series 8 of Red Dwarf, in that it just felt so .... written ? I can watch the highest concept episodes of new Who and happily believe what is happening.

Nanobots rebuilt his face with the gas mask attached ? OK !

Rose just stopped her father dying twenty years earlier ? Cool !

Mickey in the parallel universe is called Ricky and kicks ass ? Whatever you say !

But The Sound of Drums - like The Satan Pit, Tooth and Claw, and (sorry) 42 just didn't sit well with me. Too much dodgy dialogue that was just there to try to stop people saying "but why didn't they ....." or "wouldn't that mean that ....." Whereas stuff like The Idiot's Lantern, The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink just cruise along brilliantly and effortlessly ! In terms of scripts, no-one can touch Gatis and Moffat.

Don't get me wrong, RTD isn't without occasional genius :

The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a 1,000 miles an hour. The entire planet is hurtling around the sun at 67,000 miles an hour. And I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world. And, if we let go...

...... Chan but so much of his dialogue just irritates me Tho :thumbup:

One thing I do hate is people who consider themselves to be harcore fans of the show, and then when the new series began, totally refused to accept change in the show. I still remember being at a convention in 2004 when they were in the middle of filming the 1st season, and hearing a woman in front of me in a queue saying that Christopher Eccleston was NOT the doctor because he wore a leather jacket!

To be honest there's always been an element of this with certain Doctor Who fans. When I was going to conventions a decade ago there was always a vocal minority who wouldn't accept anything post-Tom Baker.

Yeah thats true, and it was that minority that was partly responsible for the shows downfall.

And David, I dont think theres anything I can say to make u like all the aliens that are animatronic or puppets or whatever lol, I guess thats just taste! The one single thing ive always loved about dr who, is the real creatures :thumbup:

I liked the way Martha stayed at home with her family at the end - I almost felt like she had become morally superior to the Doctor after what she'd been through and the choices she made. Plus it felt like she'd suddenly grown up and could take a step back from her infatuation :wub: with the Dr.

Don't know if Freema is coming back - from watching that exit scene I'd say she wasn't coming back in a regular role but who knows - I think certainly that the finale saved her character from becoming unlikeable so if she does return I will be quite happy with that.

Wasn't overly impressed, enjoyed other episodes this season more:

I hate John Simm doing a Jim Carrey impression as The Master

Captain Jack becomes a great big head, and on that note Jack can't die therefore will Boe be back?

Will Martha return?

The Doctor looking like a budgie

And the Davros heads in the spheres.

Although the prelude for the Christmas special looks good

I thought the final episode was good - and the Master was excellent IMO.

Wasn't overly impressed with the midget doctor - not really sure that was needed.

Face of Boe - excellent twist, also from Jacks comment did anyone get the impression the next Torchwood series is set during the master's 'reign' ???

Shame Martha has left though - I quite liked her.

Overall a bit of a surreal episode I thought.

Best of the series was 42 followed by last weeks ( sound of drums ?? )...... I stand to be corrected though.

I'll correct you then :YAHOO:

IMO, Gridlock and Blink are vying for the top spot. I hated 42 to be honest - very cliqued script and half of the guest cast couldn't act :YAHOO:

As far al LOTTL is concerned, John Simm is a fantastic actor, but just doesn't have the physical presence to carry the part like Ainley or Delgado did - and of course he would regenerate if he was shot ! The Master's first instinct is survival.

The Doctor turned into a budgie was an insult to the fanbase, and the way he turned back was worse !

And I'm confused by the dialogue - are we to believe that Jack ...... becomes the Face of Boe ? How stupid is that ??

Edited by dufresne

• Moderators

From the slightly unreliable Wikipedia:

In "Last of the Time Lords", the immortal Captain Jack Harkness speculates how long he may live and how he may look after millions of years, before mentioning that he was the first person from the Boeshane Peninsula to join the Time Agency; there, his good looks earned him the nickname "the Face of Boe", which writer Russell T. Davies deemed "a potential theory" as to the Face of Boe's origins in the episode commentary, prompting Executive Producer Julie Gardner to urge him to be more definite about the two characters being the same.

So I suppose it's open to interpretation for now - whether RTD just shoved that bit in there for a WTF?! moment, and doesn't plan on following it through, or there will be more to it .. who knows. I've not listened to the podcast myself.

And Freema will be back, in Torchwood and mid-season for Who, but there'll be a new companion.

Despite reading other peoples opinions, I have to stick by the following:

John Simm was excellent.

Bird Cage Doctor was wicked and an obvious future merchandise line.

Martha Jones is an excellent companion.

The Face Of Boe was a huge swerve.

The amount of nods to other shows and films was excellently done.

Freema has confirmed she will be back, but will not discuss how.

From a BBC press release, duplicated on FreemaAgyeman.com :

Doctor Who: Series 4

Freema Agyeman returns as Martha Jones and guest stars in Torchwood!

The BBC has announced the first casting details for the fourth series of Doctor Who following the acclaimed end of the third series run - widely hailed by the critics and public alike as the best series yet.

While the final episode, screened last Saturday, saw The Doctor’s companion Martha leave to care for her devastated family, and to break the cycle of unrequited love she feels for The Doctor, the production team has now confirmed that the character is set to make a triumphant return in the fourth series.

Freema Agyeman who has gained rave notices for her portrayal of Martha Jones is also set to join the cast of Torchwood where she will continue to play the character in three new episodes before returning to Doctor Who in the middle of the fourth series.

Doctor Who’s executive producer and head writer, Russell T Davies comments: ‘Series three has gained outstanding reviews and Freema has been a huge part of that success, gaining rave notices for her portrayal of Martha. Now we are taking the character of Martha into brand new territory with a starring role in Torchwood’.

Freema Agyeman said ‘I can’t wait to start filming on Torchwood and the new series of Doctor Who. It’s a huge new challenge for me and I’m delighted Russell has decided to expand the character of Martha Jones.’

The new announcement leaves a vacant space in the Tardis and a new companion for The Doctor, who will join the new series for the entire 13 week run will be announced shortly.

The fourth series of Doctor Who goes into production this July.

It's likely they are bringing her back mid-series to soften the blow of David regenerating into the guy from the bread adverts at the end of series four :P

I'll correct you then :borg:

IMO, Gridlock and Blink are vying for the top spot. I hated 42 to be honest - very cliqued script and half of the guest cast couldn't act :P

Oh yeah, forgot about Blink - add that to the list.

GRRRR !!!! And for three reasons :

1. She will take a massive bite out of the budget.

2. You will spend the episode thinking "that's Kylie Minogue", instead of paying attention to the story.

3. All so self indulgent Russell can work with one of his idols !

;):WINCE::chair:

It's likely they are bringing her back mid-series to soften the blow of David regenerating into the guy from the bread adverts at the end of series four ;)

Who's the bloke then?

I'll correct you then :YAHOO:

IMO, Gridlock and Blink are vying for the top spot. I hated 42 to be honest - very cliqued script and half of the guest cast couldn't act :thumbup:

As far al LOTTL is concerned, John Simm is a fantastic actor, but just doesn't have the physical presence to carry the part like Ainley or Delgado did - and of course he would regenerate if he was shot ! The Master's first instinct is survival.

The Doctor turned into a budgie was an insult to the fanbase, and the way he turned back was worse !

And I'm confused by the dialogue - are we to believe that Jack ...... becomes the Face of Boe ? How stupid is that ??

Gridlock and Blink, right up there, I thought Blink possibly first on the list. Despite its flaws I liked Human nature/ Familly of blood. I thought 42 was dire...a re hash of the satan pit...same storyline, and I didn't think much of that episode either!

I liked Simm as the master, but I think more could have been done with such a good actor, personally I blame the script, I will always be grateful to RTD for resurecting the show, but he should leave te writing to other people. I find his stories too immature and I don't think he knows the meaning of subtlety. :thumbup:

The "budgie/ dobby/ Gollum" moment...The Master did have a thing about shrinking people to death in the Tom Baker era, the deadly assassin springs to mind. Well if the money had been there for the CGI, I might have bought it, but it was not, so I didn't.

I wish the victory over the master was had been a little less ...er...pathetic. I loved the gun decoy, that was very doctor who, but I had anticipated something more doctor who for the final confrontation...neverming hey?

I did like the death scene, I thought that was wonderfully acted both by Simm and Tenant, very moving if not a bit out of character for the Master, although I suspect he will be back in some way, shape or form in the future (wasn't he wearing the ring of Rassilon?)

I'm sorry to see Freema go to boost Torchwood, I think the dynamic between her and Tenant was better it was with Billy Pipper.

We shall have to wait and see!

The Sun is reporting that Catherine Tate is the new companion for the next series. Take that for what you will but they claim that the BBC has confirmed this.

Personally I think it's a mistake to replace Freema with her I didn't think much of the Christmas Episode to be honest.

The Sun is reporting that Catherine Tate is the new companion for the next series. Take that for what you will but they claim that the BBC has confirmed this.

Personally I think it's a mistake to replace Freema with her I didn't think much of the Christmas Episode to be honest.

It's been officially confirmed over on the BBC site, here's the press release

Catherine Tate accepts proposal to star in fourth series.

Catherine Tate is set to return to the TARDIS for the complete 13 week run of Series Four of Doctor Who.

Award winning comedian Tate will reprise her role as Donna, the runaway bride from last year's Christmas special, despite turning down the Doctor's invitation to travel with him at the end of that adventure.

When Catherine was asked if she would like to become The Doctor's new companion at the press screening of The Runaway Bride, she replied, "I would love to, but no one has asked!" Well, now they have.

"Catherine was an absolute star in The Runaway Bride and we are delighted that one of Britain's greatest talents has agreed to join us for the fourth series," announced Doctor Who's executive producer and head writer, Russell T Davies. "Viewers can expect more ambitious storylines and a whole host of guest stars in 2008."

Catherine Tate added : "I am delighted to be returning to Doctor Who. I had a blast last Christmas and look forward to travelling again through time and space with that nice man from Gallifrey."

Freema Agyeman who has played Martha Jones, The Doctor's companion throughout the critically acclaimed third series, will return to the show to join The Doctor and Donna mid series.

... Bird Cage Doctor was wicked and an obvious future merchandise line.

Doctor Who budgies!! Now there's a novelty pet!

Andrea

I so want a living one..it would be wicked.

Catherine Tate..are they having a bubble? Nothing against the woman, but I don't want the episodes to go all comedic. It is bad enough having Kylie in the Christmas Special in a leading role - lack of acting experience - but it seems that RTD is going great guns on special appearances for what s possible his final series at the healm.

Grrrr..but I reserve judgement until I view them.

Bring back Bird Cage Doctor as his companion....