Series "3" Doctor Who

BrandinsChick

I'm not normally anal about such things but I have problems with a few plot points:

I didn't realise regeneration was optional - I thought it just happened

Hadn't the master already used up all of his regenerations anyway so stole other peoples bodies

At the end of torchwood the tardis appears and takes Jack away, yet the Doctor had no idea that Jack worked for them does this mean that torchwood series 1 is set after Dr Who series 3 (brain ache)

If Jack cannot die and does become the face of Boe - why does he die?

sorry

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not normally anal about such things but I have problems with a few plot points:

Hadn't the master already used up all of his regenerations anyway so stole other peoples bodies

At the end of torchwood the tardis appears and takes Jack away, yet the Doctor had no idea that Jack worked for them does this mean that torchwood series 1 is set after Dr Who series 3 (brain ache)

sorry

The Master says that the Time Lords brought him back to fight in the time war, but he ran away...so I'm guessing they had the power to bring him back.

Does the tardis actually appear? I thought we just hear the Tardis materialising...I don't really remember :blink:

sorry

The Master says that the Time Lords brought him back to fight in the time war, but he ran away...so I'm guessing they had the power to bring him back.

Does the tardis actually appear? I thought we just hear the Tardis materialising...I don't really remember :smile:

The end of Torchwood is the start of UTOPIA when Jack is running after the Tardis.

The Master was changed back from being a human to a timelord as The Doctor did a few episodes previously, so regenration was then available.

Regeneration is not automatic.

It does seem that the Face of Boe has died, but this is Sci Fi land and I am sure that it will be explained away at some point. After all, the crossovers between Torchwood and Doctor Who were done excellently.

sorry

Does the tardis actually appear? I thought we just hear the Tardis materialising...I don't really remember :YAHOO:

The end of Torchwood is the start of UTOPIA when Jack is running after the Tardis.

The Master was changed back from being a human to a timelord as The Doctor did a few episodes previously, so regenration was then available.

It does seem that the Face of Boe has died, but this is Sci Fi land and I am sure that it will be explained away at some point. After all, the crossovers between Torchwood and Doctor Who were done excellently.

Okay so when we hear the tardis at the end of torchwood and Jack disappears can he hear it materialising underground and then get past everyone else at torchwood and out of the building in seconds to chase the tardis?

I know that the master was changed from a human back to a timelord, but way back (Tom Baker era) he had used all of his regenerations up and opted to body steal instead (I think he did this in the movie too). If the timelords brought him back then I suppose they could have started him from scratch with all of his regens restored?!

Why is regeneration not automatic?

I don't really care that much just thought for continuity sake it should make sense.

sorry

Does the tardis actually appear? I thought we just hear the Tardis materialising...I don't really remember :YAHOO:

Okay so when we hear the tardis at the end of torchwood and Jack disappears can he hear it materialising underground and then get past everyone else at torchwood and out of the building in seconds to chase the tardis?

I know that the master was changed from a human back to a timelord, but way back (Tom Baker era) he had used all of his regenerations up and opted to body steal instead (I think he did this in the movie too). If the timelords brought him back then I suppose they could have started him from scratch with all of his regens restored?!

I don't really care that much just thought for continuity sake it should make sense.

Jack explains that the Doctor's hand that he had in storage was his "early warning system" for when the Doctor would return to the rift to repower the Tardis. Torchwood has several secret exits and getting out quickly would not be an issue. Where the rift is in the show is right next to the secret exit that no one can see you appear from. The Doctor was "topping up" for enough time for Jack to get to the Tardis..or rather jump on the door.

At no time did we see Jack taken away by the Tardis, but we heard the noise.

The Master seemed to indicate that regeneration is a choice, and that he didn't do it because he woul dbeat the Doctor. Pass on the reason why it is not automatic. If it was automatic, then the Timelords would not have died in the big time war.

Did no-one else notice the scene right near the end of the episode with the hand with scarlet nail varnish picking up a ring while maniacal laughter was heard?

That was the ring of Rassilon I mentioned before, it is supposed to bring its wearer immortality...and the hand may be that of The Rani...but who knows...

If memory serves, the Master got himself a new lease of life by stealing the power of Melkur in the Keeper of Traken, and I assume his ability to regenerate were also revived. Also I think he did say that the Time Lords brought him back to help them fight in the time war...so either way, regenation shouldn't be an issue :dance:

sorry

Does the tardis actually appear? I thought we just hear the Tardis materialising...I don't really remember :dance:

Regeneration may not be automatic however it usually occurs under the following circumstances

1) The current body wears out.

2) The current body is on the point of death due to accident or injury.

3) The timelord / lady chooses to change (Romana at the start of Destiny of the Daleks changed a few times before settling on the Princess Astra appearance)

4) A future incarnation can foreshadow the regeneration Kan Po /Cho Je in Planet of the Spiders so it is possible it's the same case for The Master - Harold Saxon / Lucy Saxon (hence the nail varnish)

5) Regeneration enforced by the Timelords (The War Games)

Oh and ETA

The Timelord High Council can grant a whole new life cycle, this was offered as an incentive for The Master to aid The Doctor in The Five Doctors it wasn't granted at that time due to his backing out of the agreement however looks like it was offered and granted at the time of the Time War

Edited by Harry

I think that the last season of Dr Who was the best thing I've seen in ages. It was so well written and John Simms as the master was a stroke of genius

Agreed! ( And when the stay WELL away from bloody rubber Aliens).

John Simm is an excellent actor, and I think that this work comes close to eclipsing his role as DCI/DI Sam Tyler in Life On Mars - something that I am finally watching/catching up on on Virgin Media.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Couple of DVD covers in case someone hasn't seen them:

Series 3 Volume 4

drwho34lrg.gif

Complete Series 3

DrWhoS3Box-lrg.jpg

Quite surprised Martha doesn't make an appearance on the complete one, but it doesn't look too bad.

• Moderators

I'm not sure whether they got different covers for the first two series or not?

I guess maybe they think Simm on the cover over here will attract more people to it .. he's not a familiar face in America.

I thought the finale was fantastic. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, much to my boyfriends amusement!

The only complaint I have is that Jack was criminally underused!

I'm loving the DVD covers, if only they werent so expensive I might just buy them! Ah well there's always Christmas...

:smile:

I thought the finale was fantastic. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, much to my boyfriends amusement!

The only complaint I have is that Jack was criminally underused!

I'm loving the DVD covers, if only they werent so expensive I might just buy them! Ah well there's always Christmas...

:blink:

But the finale was never about Jack..

Exclusive Amazon cover .. not sure if it's instead of some silly-shaped exclusive this time round ..

I...well, I rather like it, to be honest. :smile: Is it a usual thing to have someone other than the Doctor and/or assistant as the sole figure on the cover, do you know? I'm sure it is, I just found it surprising to see the one with just John Simm on and his prominence on the S3 Vol 4 cover. :YAHOO:

Also...just how camp is the complete S3 cover? *g* Not complaining one bit, mind. :dance: