March Collectormania G-Mex – IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

showmasters

Why are there muppets on this thread railing against Showmasters?

Thier post explains the situation. It's disappointing but I'm sure that they didn't do it on purpose.

It's for the best and allows them to concentrate on a much anticipated show that was formerly postponed. Maybe this is the cosmos aligning itself correctly?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

Their post explains the situation. It's disappointing but I'm sure that they didn't do it on purpose.

You kind of answered your own question, it's because people are disappointed and upset which they have a right to be. But unlike the people that empathise with the position SM were in and understand why they made the decision they did, these people just want someone to blame.

It was always going to happen. Just rise above it and let them get on with it.

Edited by Too Tall

I reckon SM have probably done the right thing, what with the other things going on that weekend. I'm sure they will pull out all the stops to make C11 an even better show than normal, and get us even more great guests. Hopefully starting with Burt!

And I'm certainly not moaning a

I know you wernt but some people were. sorry mate..

Thier post explains the situation. It's disappointing but I'm sure that they didn't do it on purpose.

It's for the best and allows them to concentrate on a much anticipated show that was formerly postponed. Maybe this is the cosmos aligning itself correctly?

Because people who run other shows or have a loyalty to other shows see this as an opportunity to try and give SM a bad name, when all they do is strengthen the support for SM, and bring people together.

A

I see all these people that are complaining because they don't get to go or they're losing out on money.

But what about me? My *only* friends are ones I see at events and no other times and I actually cried for ages when I found out this show was cancelled because it means more months alone.

Did I come on here and rant at SM? No. Because it's not their fault. They did what was best for us and for them and I can see no sense in blaming them.

If anyone has complaints, take them to the GMEX people for messing SM about!

Disappointed to hear it's been cancelled, but it's understandable given the late change of date - for which I blame the G-Mex centre :spidy:

Could have been worse - at least no Lost or Harry Potter guests had been announced, then I would have been gutted.

One plus: now I have longer to save up for November - let's hope it's a good one :D

One plus: now I have longer to save up for November - let's hope it's a good one :spidy:

Same with me i can't wait for november (and when i actually get some money) :D

i'm a bit dissapointed but it can't be helped blame the g-mex for the problem...

they should cancel one of the silly caravan shows they have once a month instead... :dance:

Well, crap. my flatmate just wasted his years holidays on this thing, i was hoping id be able to get him to go as it was so close to home to us so he booked off the week before and after to make costumes and such, now i doubt ill be able to get him to go to the MK one as he thinks SM is unreliable and likely to just cancel after we book the hotel.

Not to mention my disappointed neices who wanted to go and see the costumes.

Oh please..... unreliable? Showmasters have been running numerous events for years (hell, they're up to Collectormania 11 this year!) not to mention all the LFACC's and the previous GMEX's and the smaller events like Cheshunt to name a few! And as far as I'm aware this is the FIRST time they've had to cancel (someone can correct me if I'm wrong though!)

How can cancelling one event for perfectly good reasons make them unreliable? :headscratch:

Oh please..... unreliable? Showmasters have been running numerous events for years (hell, they're up to Collectormania 11 this year!) not to mention all the LFACC's and the previous GMEX's and the smaller events like Cheshunt to name a few! And as far as I'm aware this is the FIRST time they've had to cancel (someone can correct me if I'm wrong though!)

Autographica 8 was announced in 2005 as being on 3rd-5th March 2006.

In late January 2006 this was cancelled, and was announced as "cancelled" on the website.

It was subsequently re-arranged, and in about March it was announced as being in June 3rd & 4th 2006.

Call it postponed if you want, but there was definitely a period of several weeks where it had been announced as cancelled with only an aspiration to re-schedule.

How can cancelling one event for perfectly good reasons make them unreliable? :headscratch:

It doesn't, but some people love to make a drama out of anything. And granted, first changing the date and then later cancelling might have caused some people two lots of cancellation fees, which won't endear SM to those folks, but in the circumstances it's understandable, and arguably forgiveable.

There were plenty of people who went to the Reading-Burnley football game last week, which was called off at the last minute (when all the crowd were there). That doesn't make football "unreliable" or mean that none of those people will ever go to a game again. If I gave up on using a form of transport every time a service on it that I was due to use was cancelled, for whatever reason, then I'd no longer be using buses, trains, planes or ferries. Which means that presumably I'd have to drive or walk everywhere, and swim the bloody channel if I wanted to go to Europe. (I'll just row over to Miami for a couple of weeks holiday this summer...).

Some people just love to moan. (But really, you knew that already :unsure: )

It's a shame you had to cancel the show, but I completely understand, as the cons far outweighed the pros.

There's still plenty of cons left in the coming year (cannot wait for Glasgow!), the only downside is that I'll have to wait that little bit longer to see all of my convention friends again.

Thanks for trying, SM. I know you wouldn't have cancelled unless you had no other choice. Here's to Collectormania 11 people! :YAHOO:

Well SM should have cancelled and taken their business elsewhere, the hall was double booked so obviously they aren`t run by professionals.:headscratch:

And stop calling this event a convention because it is not. It is an autograph show, not a convention. BTW there is no need to badmouth other organisors, as we all attend them all anyways, cos there is no loyalty amongst autograph hunters. :P I just don`t enjoy this one so much as I do some of the others, but that does not mean I do not go to all of them at one point or another.

Definition: Convention; "A convention, in the sense of a meeting, is a gathering of individuals who meet at a pre-arranged place and time in order to discuss or engage in some common interest."

Sorry for referring to Collectormania G-Mex as a convention. :(

And if a show organiser knows what they are doing (like SM), their customers will develop a kind of loyalty and will pick one convention over another because the event is better run, well-staffed or has an overall more fun atmosphere. There are no other events in the UK (possibly the world) which compare to SM shows on any level, be it crew knowledge, guest selection, even dealer tables and merchandise. So yes, I would suspect that the majority of autograph hunters in the UK see SM as their number one priority when it comes to shows. I would attend SM shows even if there were no guests for me to meet, as the shows are now more about atmosphere and friends than about getting autographs. Roll on Collectormania 11, Glasgow, LFCC and the November G-Mex, I say! :dance:

Have a pleasant time at the autograph shows this year. :headscratch:

Edited by Victor Van Dort

Am I right in thinking there's a major match on one of the proposed dates? If so, those of you griping at the moment would just gripe even more when you couldn't find accomodation because it'll all be booked up by football fans. SM's have made a sensible move and this is probably the only sensible solution to a problem caused by the venue, not the organisers.

To those of you who booked non refundable tickets etc - it's regrettable but unfortunately, these things do happen. Companies make their money in unfair ways, non refundable tickets being one of them.

There's plenty more conventions to attend and I'm sure it's not the first time an event has been cancelled by any company due to double bookings beyond their control. SM's now have to go to all confirmed guests and amend all those contracts and other lovely bits of paperwork - I'm sure you could sympathise slightly in this case.

Cancelling the event puts me out too but nowhere near as much as I would be if I wasn't home for Mother's Day :headscratch:

• Moderators

People can moan as much as they want (and many do, often!) but when a guest they want to meet is announced for an event, they'll go to it. It's always that simple.

It's very rarely about loyalty to Showmasters or any other organiser, it's simply about who has the guests we want to meet. And so what if this event has been cancelled and it annoys you a bit .. you're not gonna let that stand in the way of you meeting someone you want to.

Is this inconvenient? Perhaps for some, but it's not worth spending time moaning over. What's done is done, and it really won't affect any OTHER Showmasters event attendance in any big way.

Part of me's relieved it been cancelled as it means I no longer have to make the decision whether or not to go. Flights for the St Patrick's weekend were going to be far too expensive. I'm just sad that I won't get to see my friends untill May.

Edited by Ascal Elessar

I wondered if it was a genuine e-mail from SM with the amount of type-o's in it, but seeing this thread from Showmasters now i know it is. :P

I'm glad and sad at the same time. Glad because now my bank balance can better recover from Christmas, and sad as 3 of the Guest were on my C11 Guest suggestion's :(

I see that some members are blaming SM for the cancellation. If the G-MEX complex was owned by SM and had forgotten they had already pre-booked the hall to another client..then yes, people have ever reason to complain, but SM do not own the G-MEX complex.

It is the booking office at G-MEX that screwed up not SM. If SM had been the first client to book, G-MEX would have to honor that booking. But it seems SM was piped-to-the-post. Do not blame SM for this screw-up it's not their fault.

Just think of it this way, we'll all have more saved up for the next convention :D

Edited by datalore

Definition: Convention; "A convention, in the sense of a meeting, is a gathering of individuals who meet at a pre-arranged place and time in order to discuss or engage in some common interest."

Interesting definition - from where does it hail? It seems a little broad; using that definition, one could say that the sixty odd thousand Man Utd fans who gather at Old Trafford at 3pm on certain Saturday afternoons to engage in their common interest of cheering on their football team are also attending a convention...

Interesting definition - from where does it hail? It seems a little broad; using that definition, one could say that the sixty odd thousand Man Utd fans who gather at Old Trafford at 3pm on certain Saturday afternoons to engage in their common interest of cheering on their football team are also attending a convention...

That's a football match, nothing more nor less.

Whether or not SM do "conventions" is irrelevant as the point is the event is already cancelled anyway. Since these events have come about, it's now acceptable and convenient to call them conventions...I think the term has kinda changed from the dictionary definaition.

Edited by collector-man