C9 Crew Confirmation Emails

Jola

as I said originally, I know there are far more volunteers than there are posts available BUT I have got experience and not just crewing for Showmasters; I've crewed mainstream conventions and for another event organiser as well and also I can see there needs to be a FAIR way of doing it so all I ask is how come everyone I'm rooming with (NOT paid for by SM) is crewing and I'm not? and how come people are doing ALL the days and I couldn't just do even ONE even though I volunteered for all of them? it will be great to see friends, a main reason to trek half way accross the country to come to these events, and have a lie-in but seeing as all my friends are crewing and will be up early...!  :lol:

I'm not trying to be rude or give attitude and trust me I've been around long enough to know that people are rejected, it's happened to me twice in a row now :wub: I just feel that, unless I did something wrong at C8, in which case I'd hope to be told, that it is hardly fair that some people are crewing all the days and then others, such as myself and Simon aren't crewing any :uhoh:  it's not like I live in MK and can just pop home or anything either and can't change hotel or travel plans as to get them cheap they was booked waaaaay back :help:

sorry for going on  :whistling:

surfy sah xx

954897[/snapback]

thats what im tryin to say also

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't 'feel used' though. It was your choice to advertise guests on other forums etc. Doing that doesn't guarantee a crew place, and it certainly shouldn't be done under the assumption that you'll be getting anything for it. Many people have helped with spreading the word about shows etc, and NOT because they believe they'll get a crew position out of it. That's not what voluntarily helping is about.

The amount of VOLUNTEERS compared to the amount of actual POSITIONS available ... it's just not workable. A lot of people have to be rejected, or cut down etc. I can't speak for Stuart and those who select crew members, but it's logical that those with experience and have been proven reliable etc will be chosen because they want the best crew possible. Of course that's not to say that new people and others aren't as good at the jobs but it's more of a risk.

It's tough, I know it is, but there are always going to be people who are unfortunately rejected. It has to be SOMEONE, and if it wasn't you then it'd be someone else feeling bad. In an ideal world, they'd take everyone on and no one would feel bad, but it's not a charity, it is a business and they attempt to choose the best crew possible for them.

954884[/snapback]

i have worked them before so i do have the experiance and ive worked at other things similar since. btw whats scope on just turnin up anyway ala shabs lol

i know there will be people that dont turn up when they are sposed to and i really care about doing it. id sacrifice everything for it. heck man 90% of us wld prolly PAY to do it lol.

i understand that its limited places and they have to rotate, ive missed out 4 in a row wich kinda makes me think im not likely to get in for c10 or 11 or 12 or 13

id understand if they said it was caus i wasnt popular or had done somthing wrong. ive changed now and all i want in life is a 2nd chance. can people not let the past go?

i am officaly letting go of this now caus its causing me to get weird emails.

ttfn

H_O_T

Will get wrong off Bookall now  :lol:

955146[/snapback]

Its people like you that stop Sharron even comming onto here :P

A

955189[/snapback]

I wouldn't do anything like that :YAHOO:

Will stop now promise ^_^

Got mine, working all days!! So yay!

Also, happy Birthday Roxy!!! Hope you had a fabulous time at the Empire Awards, and Gem - off to KFC!

And Joe - good to know you are back. What days are you doing?

Simone

Edited by Persnickety

Actually maybe they saw your pic on MySpace and decided you were a lil toooo loopy  :P  :D

954782[/snapback]

Thank-God I havent got a myspace :wub:

A

954998[/snapback]

Thanks for that Alex!! Hee hee! :lol: :lol:

There's an even crazier picture of me on my profile here so you should check it out.It's definitely worse than my myspace pic!! Hee hee! ;)

Annie.

Ive been rejected and have the following to state in an orderly and justifiable manner..

In response to the angst of my friend surfy Sah and others dealing with rejection, I share your angst.. i do believe there to be NOTHNG personal in the choice making(even thought this may be a negative aspect) but fair? that is a debateable issue.. it increasingly appears with the more people i speak to that SM have chosen those who can work all days or who dont want accomodation.. or in some cases such as with sah.. a very experienced non accomodation wanting person.. by sticking a pin in a list ?:uhoh: arguments for the amount of volunteers compared to places are viable but are flawed in different ways, for instance, if it is based on experience and reliability.. surely there wouldnt be ANY new crew members ? not to slag them off or anything but you catch my drift ! :o

Id like to point out to SM that the flaws / mysterious ^_^ systematic choices may not benefit SM at all.. at the end of the day there is a job to be done. Id like to refer to the e-mail sent out to all those unfortunate not to be crewing, the mail attempted to comfort people but as a generated universal e-mail it holds little credit and fails to comfort me by means of your 'difficult' descisions, its obviously based on more practical choices.:cylon: I RESPECT this but dont like the idea of wool being pulled over my eyes. Finally (sorry for this long piece of reading people :o ) id like to say that practical choices based on accomodation etc or even those based on experience (however much it appears increasingly like pot luck) may not result in the best for the crewing team. As i saw at C8, people didnt turn up, lists for jobs were wrong etc etc etc as much of a difficult job SM do, better organisation at the office end might result in more equal waiting and opinion within the crew members ? and if choices based on reliability are such of an issue.. why are there crew members who do perfectly good jobs for SM being told there isnt a place for them by generated e-mail ?

I believe the choices made for crewing to be respectable methods of choice but it needs to be seen that the lack of personal touching with long time past crew members and obvious choicing through nescessity and not feelings ('difficult descision') are what upset people the most i.e. universal e-mails and what appears to be quota sheet filling.

not to get a wrong impression id finally (i promise its final :( ) like to say that SM and SM's events are top class and the crew do an excellent job. Also the people who organise crew do a great job but need to remember that its 'volunteers' who make it happen and not to misuse them to fill gaps on paper. As much as this may not be the case.. choices made and other responses given have generated negative views amongst many aka thin ice its a case of inequality that can be argued until the cows come home and its not me being bitter, im just trying to angle this from a wider perspective because im bored of hearing people being upset or angry ! HAving fresh blood on the job is cool.. just dont bullcrap about it and as much as i know that 'we' will always be wrong and seen as just mad cos we didnt get in :P id like to point out that id attempt to be diplomatic either way :P

i hope my long post isnt overlooked.. im not 'ranting' just trying to explain the feelings that have come over as a result of all this difficult stuff :WINCE::D:P

edit = SPAG

Edited by discworld50

Discworld and all the others who have not been chosen this time, I do understand your angst and disapointment.

This question raises it's head every time the crew email gets sent out.

Stuart has a very hard task in picking a crew for each event. He needs a certain number of crew and you can guarantee that more will apply than are needed, so inevitably there will be people who aren't picked. It's easy to say, well share out the jobs so that no-one does all four days and everyone gets a bite at the cherry, but then you loose continuity. Also some people travel many miles to attend and for them just coming up for one day isn't worth it.

Experience counts.... think outside the box of SM and look around in the real world, if you applied for a job in an office as an accountant and fifty people applied all with ten years experience and you applied with six months, would you be shouting "unfair" if you didn't get picked for that job. Obviously, Stuart is going to keep hold of and use his very experienced crew in the first instance, then I believe, (and I speak only for myself) that he picks some new crew each time. Every event, I see crew I've never met before who are SM virgins. They then have the experienced crew to ask questions of and look to for advice. An entire show crewed by newbies would disintegrate into chaos before the doors even opened.

Newbies are picked every time, after all it's keeps it fresh and you never know when there will be an absolute gem of a crew member out there waiting to be discovered.

If you always apply and don't get picked but have previously worked an event, then maybe ask yourself a few questions:

Was I always polite, happy, smiling?

Did I panic, not cope with pressure?

Did I slope off for five minute loo breaks that actually took ages?

Did I abandon my post at any time?

Was I on time each day?

Did I muck in and do everything I was asked?

Did I try and blag free autographs?

Was I being a bit too much of a "fan" over the guests?

Did I stay and help tidy up at the end of each day or rush off as soon as my guest was gone?

Did I see jobs that needed to be done and just get on with it, or did I sit around watching others?

Was I rude, over zealous (hitler complex) or just loud and obnoxious?

Your pit bosses will have noticed all of this and they do remember and report back! Maybe this is why you're not being picked again?

If you applied for a job in the commercial sector, you would not criticise the HR department to their face for not picking you for the job, why then should this be any different. Stuart will have certain critieria that he wants and it is his responsibility to pick the best people for the job in his opinion. It is much more involved than just sticking a pin into a list at random as has been suggested. At the end of the day it is not our choice whether we get picked or not, it is down to SM. The way they choose to make their selection is down to them and some people will be disappointed and others will be happy, that is the way of the world.

I apply to crew each event and have been lucky to be picked on most occasions, that said I've also had the "sorry no" email land in my inbox and also not been given all the days i've asked for previously. So I do know how you feel, I don't count my chickens and assume I will be picked when I apply and expect not to be picked each time so I'm not disappointed. I applied three times before I was picked to crew the first time.

If you didn't get picked this time, there is nothing to stop you trying again unless of course you choose to burn your bridges by being rude on the SM forum! :WINCE:

As for getting a standard email, do you honestly expect Stuart and Jola to spend five minutes writing each person who wasn't picked an individual email saying sorry and outlining the reasons. When most of the time the reasons are just plain and simple, we're over subscribed with volunteers and we can't choose everyone!

• Moderators

And just to say that when you apply for jobs, often only successful applicants will hear back from the employer, and so getting ANY response - whether a standard 'no thank you' or anything at all - is a decent thing to do :)

Discworld and all the others who have not been chosen this time, I do understand your angst and disapointment.

Stuart has a very hard task in picking a crew for each event.  He needs a certain number of crew and you can guarantee that more will apply than are needed, so inevitably there will be people who aren't picked.  It's easy to say, well share out the jobs so that no-one does all four days and everyone gets a bite at the cherry, but then you loose continuity. Also some people travel many miles to attend and for them just coming up for one day isn't worth it.

Experience counts.... think outside the box of SM and look around in the real world, if you applied for a job in an office as an accountant and fifty people applied all with ten years experience and you applied with six months, would you be shouting "unfair" if you didn't get picked for that job.  Obviously, Stuart is going to keep hold of and use his very experienced crew in the first instance, then I believe, (and I speak only for myself) that he picks some new crew each time.  Every event, I see crew I've never met before who are SM virgins.  They then have the experienced crew to ask questions of and look to for advice.  An entire show crewed by newbies would disintegrate into chaos before the doors even opened.

Newbies are picked every time, after all it's keeps it fresh and you never know when there will be an absolute gem of a crew member out there waiting to be discovered.

If you always apply and don't get picked but have previously worked an event, then maybe ask yourself a few questions: 

Was I on time each day?

Did I stay and help tidy up at the end of each day or rush off as soon as my guest was gone?

Did I see jobs that needed to be done and just get on with it, or did I sit around watching others?

Was I rude, over zealous (hitler complex) or just  loud and obnoxious?

Your pit bosses will have noticed all of this and they do remember and report back!    Maybe this is why you're not being picked again?

If you applied for a job in the commercial sector, you would not criticise the HR department to their face for not picking you for the job, why then should this be any different.  Stuart will have certain critieria that he wants and it is his responsibility to pick the best people for the job in his opinion.  It is much more involved than just sticking a pin into a list at random as has been suggested.  At the end of the day it is not our choice whether we get picked or not, it is down to SM.  The way they choose to make their selection is down to them and  some people will be disappointed and others will be happy, that is the way of the world.

I apply to crew each event and have been lucky to be picked on most occasions, that said I've also had the "sorry no" email land in my inbox and also not been given all the days i've asked for previously. So I do know how you feel,  I don't count my chickens and assume I will be picked when I apply and expect not to be picked each time so I'm not disappointed.  I applied three times before I was picked to crew the first time.

If you didn't get picked this time, there is nothing to stop you trying again unless of course you choose to burn your bridges by being rude on the SM forum!  :wub:

As for getting a standard email, do you honestly expect Stuart and Jola to spend five minutes writing  each person who wasn't picked an individual email saying sorry and outlining the reasons.  When most of the time the reasons are just plain and simple, we're over subscribed with volunteers and we can't choose everyone!

955700[/snapback]

Well said !! ^_^

All this childish "I didn't get picked" crap from some people has been doing my head in.

I've never known it descend into chaos after confirmations like it has this last few days. I know others have taken it in good stead and moved on. Theres always another chance next time

And as for thinking you DESERVE a crew spot for advertising guests elsewhere is just plain wrong im afraid. NO ONE person should think that.

Rant over.

See ya all at the briefing :YAHOO:

Edited by DisneyDude78

Also, happy Birthday Roxy!!! Hope you had a fabulous time at the Empire Awards, and Gem - off to KFC!

And Joe - good to know you are back.  What days are you doing?

Simone

955410[/snapback]

simone!! :(

Thanks huni, was lovely, & Empire awards was just an experience in itself lol! :D (dodgy doorman :wub::YAHOO: )

Be more birthday shenanigans at C9 so bring your party shoes! :P^_^

As for getting a standard email, do you honestly expect Stuart and Jola to spend five minutes writing  each person who wasn't picked an individual email saying sorry and outlining the reasons.  When most of the time the reasons are just plain and simple, we're over subscribed with volunteers and we can't choose everyone!

955700[/snapback]

Well I can only speak for myself as I send out all the crew confirmations but even a "generic" email to everyone takes HOURS to send. On top of that I still have a life, I have a family and a business to run.

At the end of the day, Showmasters DO appreciate everyone who applies to crew and that is said in the "rejection" email. Generic or not, it is truthful.

geesh what do you have to do around here to be heard correctly ?! my intention was NOT and will never be to be ROOD to anyone ! the points raised are opinions from different people and it was simply an attempt to draw the arguments back into a formal discussion and away from the slagging match it was turning into. I personally am not angry or bitter about not being chosen.. only that people are refusing to listen to those who are angry.. its a 2 way street and if i had have been picked i can assure you my diplomatic nature would have still meant me questioning why people are angry.. as stated its a dificult but fair choice to make for SM and if a backlash of anger is expected, surely changes can be made.

I apologise for any misinterpretation and do believe SM, Jola and all of you to be completely appreciative and honest. A generic e-mail is a long process and I understand this, but i think it takes a perspective.. a spark.. to get people to realise why choices have been made.. if I hadnt of taken a contravertial viewpoint.. there wouldnt be a long list of reasons for not being chosen from madmonster ! people reading through might make more sense of whatever situation or feelings they find them selves enduring?

:dance:

Was I on time each day?

Was I rude, over zealous (hitler complex) or just loud and obnoxious?

Your pit bosses will have noticed all of this and they do remember and report back! Maybe this is why you're not being picked again?

:clap: this kind of thing is really beneficial to everyone ! and wouldn't happen without what people have labelled as 'ranting' !

edit=SPAG

Edited by discworld50

Ok, can we GO (not TRY DB) back on topic please, its not nice seeing everyone angry and argueing, esp before a show..

Everyone

SMILE

animated_camera_flash.gif

:D

there we go at least we have a smilie photo of ya'll

A ^_^

955778[/snapback]

Oh NO!! I wasn't smiling :unsure: and I think I was blinking when the flash went off!! :lol: Hee hee! :lol:

Annie.

• Moderators
Ok, can we GO (not TRY DB) back on topic please, its not nice seeing everyone angry and argueing, esp before a show..

Everyone

SMILE

:clap:

A :clap:

955778[/snapback]

Alex has his camera out run & hide everyone :wub::P:D:dance:

Everyone

SMILE

:dance:

A :thumbup:

955778[/snapback]

umm Alex.. perhaps you can try and take your own advice????!!!! :rolleyes:

Don't think this is the thread for photo talk

Alx, as has been requested previously on this thread please keep it to the topic of Crew Emails and Confirmations. I'm sure we all aware of your photography addiction but this is neither the time nor the place. *stepping off soapbox now*

I understand peoples frustrations with not getting picked but also understand where Stuart and Showmasters are coming from. Not everyone can be used due to the high volume of volunteers and sadly it's always going to be the case that some people will get rejected.

Alx, as has been requested previously on this thread please keep it to the topic of Crew Emails and Confirmations.  I'm sure we all aware of your photography addiction but this is neither the time nor the place.  *stepping off soapbox now*

Thanks Donna :thumbup:

Stuart has a very hard task in picking a crew for each event.  He needs a certain number of crew and you can guarantee that more will apply than are needed, so inevitably there will be people who aren't picked.  It's easy to say, well share out the jobs so that no-one does all four days and everyone gets a bite at the cherry, but then you loose continuity. Also some people travel many miles to attend and for them just coming up for one day isn't worth it.

Experience counts.... think outside the box of SM and look around in the real world, if you applied for a job in an office as an accountant and fifty people applied all with ten years experience and you applied with six months, would you be shouting "unfair" if you didn't get picked for that job.  Obviously, Stuart is going to keep hold of and use his very experienced crew in the first instance, then I believe, (and I speak only for myself) that he picks some new crew each time.  Every event, I see crew I've never met before who are SM virgins.  They then have the experienced crew to ask questions of and look to for advice.  An entire show crewed by newbies would disintegrate into chaos before the doors even opened.

Was I on time each day?

Was I rude, over zealous (hitler complex) or just  loud and obnoxious?

Your pit bosses will have noticed all of this and they do remember and report back!    Maybe this is why you're not being picked again?

If you applied for a job in the commercial sector, you would not criticise the HR department to their face for not picking you for the job, why then should this be any different.  Stuart will have certain critieria that he wants and it is his responsibility to pick the best people for the job in his opinion.  It is much more involved than just sticking a pin into a list at random as has been suggested.  At the end of the day it is not our choice whether we get picked or not, it is down to SM.  The way they choose to make their selection is down to them and  some people will be disappointed and others will be happy, that is the way of the world.

I apply to crew each event and have been lucky to be picked on most occasions, that said I've also had the "sorry no" email land in my inbox and also not been given all the days i've asked for previously. So I do know how you feel,  I don't count my chickens and assume I will be picked when I apply and expect not to be picked each time so I'm not disappointed.  I applied three times before I was picked to crew the first time.

If you didn't get picked this time, there is nothing to stop you trying again unless of course you choose to burn your bridges by being rude on the SM forum!  :wub:

955700[/snapback]

Well said !! :(

All this childish "I didn't get picked" crap from some people has been doing my head in.

I've never known it descend into chaos after confirmations like it has this last few days. I know others have taken it in good stead and moved on. Theres always another chance next time

And as for thinking you DESERVE a crew spot for advertising guests elsewhere is just plain wrong im afraid. NO ONE person should think that.

Rant over.

See ya all at the briefing :wub:

955718[/snapback]

sorry to annoy u sir, no harm ment honest guvnor

i said the thing was closed why comment again gah!

wishes for a zippy smiley :Z

To the people who were rejected and that includes me btw..why not just turn up on the morning and see if Stuart needs any extra bodies.I did that for GMEX when I didn't get picked.

Its not a garuntee but if you really want to crew its worth a try..and thats what I shall be doing at C9 as I've booked the time off work after a fight with my boss,and got my train tickets..I wouldnt miss it for the woorld

And Joe - good to know you are back.  What days are you doing?

Simone

955410[/snapback]

Hey Simone, was i gone? :blink:

im doing all four days, so i'll hopefully see a lot of you :WINCE:

Edited by JoeChur