photo shoots?

Space_cowboy

Im hoping to go to all three big collectormania events this year, but im just wondering as ive never done one before. why do collectormania not do actual photo sessions like a lot of the other con/signing events do?

As they could make a lot more money by doing so.

A few of my friends wish to do these but they and myself rather have a photo than an auto with a guest as its a better remberance of the event than an auto, plus its nicer to have. Obv a lot of guests as i understand do pose for photos happily but u dont need 2 worry about, was i blinking? was i looking at the camera? was it blurry? could u take another one please? and others cant because of the busy queues and such!

If anyone could answer my question then i'd be most grateful. as i really hope to get photos with ian solderman, Julie Benz, Maggie Grace and Alan Tudyk :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Predominantly lack of space I guess, especially at Collectormania.

And it'd eat into signing times, plus a lot of people don't want to pay for a posed photo, they'd rather have it with the guest when they meet them.

I know the addition of photo shoots doesn't mean you HAVE to stop photos at the signings but then it'll be like "why do they get a free one when they met them?" etc.

It's more hassle than it's worth really, and can end up really expensive. Sure, some people prefer photo shoots and have the money, but then there are others who think they're paying enough already!

I don't think there's enough demand to make it work.

It's just something that would eat up time at Collectormania, as you've never been there before you'll understand once you go to your first one and see all the people standing around why it's pretty much impossible for photoshoots to be ran there. Also, another event I attended earlier in the year had photoshoots and as a result a lot of people weren't allowing posed photos at their desk. I'm someone who'd like a photo with whoever I meet (obviously not everyone can cater to this which is fine) but I wouldn't want to fork out £15-£20 for an autograph then an additional £15-£20 for a photo as some people will want to get multiple items signed by a guest and it just all adds up. If this is ever going to happen it'll probably be at LFACC but even then it may bring up problems.

Posed photos are good but they are quite expensive, whereas many nice guests will let you get a quick snap for free (esp. on a Fri or Mon when queues aren't so long).

I'm not sure there's enough room really in Milton Keynes shopping centre unless they stuck a guest at the end of one of the corridors away from the stalls/signings and I'm not sure they'd like to be so far from the action. But it might be good for someone like James Marsters... would give him a break from signing and the 2 seperate queues might mean more ppl meet him

Posed photos when done properly by a professional photographer and developed and printed to a high standard can be worth the expence to the attendee if we are talking (£10 to £20) , but i feel that at the collectamania style event it could cause showmasters more problems than the potential financial rewards could justify.

with the average number of guests they have it could end up with only a select number of guests being photographed , which will upset the fans of the other guests,

the selected guests are more likely to be the bigger names who already have potentialy big ques which means less time for autographs.

speed will be another factor, while it takes only seconds to take a picture it takes longer to print it , going threw a line of say 50 people could take say under half an hour but you then have those 50 people hanging around waiting for there photos which could take another hour or more and since most people only go to one of the days they have buses and trains to catch .

there is another factor, that is the changing attitude of the fans (us) over the last 8 years i have seen a slow and consistant change in how we (the fans) act at events , who ever they are run by and what ever style they take.

the days of only getting one or two people mildly whinging at an event seems to be well past, we have got more demanding and even though people like showmasters have put serieus effort into inproving how things run and whats on offer that small percentage of people who demand more and use frazes like "i should get" and "why do i have to wait for" and "i have the right to" seems to be increasing and trying to do photo shoots at an event like these would be asking for trouble.

please don't get me wrong, i have met a lot of great people over the last 8 years and the percentage of negative people is very small , but as our sociaty is changing so i have found the negative people are growing and becoming very vocal , patience and understanding seem to be the elements that these people are loosing.

if showmasters do decide to do some photoshoots can they please give us plenty of warning as i would need to save up extra money.

Posed photos when done properly by a professional photographer and developed and printed to a high standard can be worth the expence to the attendee if we are talking (£10 to £20) , but i feel that at the collectamania style event it could cause showmasters more problems than the potential financial rewards could justify.

with the average number of guests they have it could end up with only a select number of guests being photographed , which will upset the fans of the other guests,

the selected guests are more likely to be the bigger names who already have potentialy big ques which means less time for autographs.

speed will be another factor, while it takes only seconds to take a picture it takes longer to print it , going threw a line of say 50 people could take say under half an hour but you then have those 50 people hanging around waiting for there photos which could take another hour or more and since most people only go to one of the days they have buses and trains to catch .

there is another factor, that is the changing attitude of the fans (us) over the last 8 years i have seen a slow and consistant change in how we (the fans) act at events , who ever they are run by and what ever style they take.

the days of only getting one or two people mildly whinging at an event seems to be well past, we have got more demanding and even though people like showmasters have put serieus effort into inproving how things run and whats on offer that small percentage of people who demand more and use frazes like "i should get" and "why do i have to wait for" and "i have the right to" seems to be increasing and trying to do photo shoots at an event like these would be asking for trouble.

please don't get me wrong, i have met a lot of great people over the last 8 years and the percentage of negative people is very small , but as our sociaty is changing so i have found the negative people are growing and becoming very vocal , patience and understanding  seem to be the elements that these people are loosing.

if showmasters do decide to do some photoshoots can they please give us plenty of warning as i would need to save up extra money.

907269[/snapback]

all these are valid points, but it also takes money and time to find someone willing to take pictures at cost so that SM make a profit... even at 10 or 20 a picture, the photographer needs paying, i'm sure there would have to put it in legal terms in the contract and some guests would prefer not to have that element, then of course theres a matter of if they do there would be extra costs and the guests would prob cost more to get or be harder to get. then theres the matter of what the agents are like... it brings it back to some guests saying yes and some no, and then fans would be disappointed.... the event is too large and there are too many types of guests from different types of shows.... it would be too much.

smaller events do that because they need to make some money... i have had bad experiences with it and as a frequent attendee would prefer it not to happen.

SM do a fantastic job and the event is the best in the country in my opinon, you will never please everyone, and introducing something so shakey as a photo session would likely hurt more than help the event.

just my opinion... i'm rambling... i'll shush now!

:blink:

Veasse xxx

it wouldn't cost tht much. A professional is not needed. You can get a decent Digital Camera for around £100, and one of those portable photo printers for about £120, and if they were charging up to £15 (a bit steep I might add) a photo then thats a heck of a good profit.

907802[/snapback]

A professional is needed in my opinion.

I've been at a show where one of the organisers took the photos with what they called "decent digital camera", and the pictures look like crap.

what's the point? Why pay £15 for a photo when you can take a photo with the star on your own camera for free? If you want it in 8x10 size well just have your photos enlarged to 8x10 which will cost you around 75 pence at most chemists and online at sites such as snapfish.

Also as others have said, if guests keep dissapearing for photo shoots then this will restrict the amount of people who are able to meet the star and get an autograph.

This is a signing show remember and not a convention where you cannot take photos during the signing sessions. It would be completely pointless introducing photo shoots.

what's the point?  Why pay £15 for a photo when you can take a photo with the star on your own camera for free?  If you want it in 8x10 size well just have your photos enlarged to 8x10 which will cost you around 75 pence at most chemists and online at sites such as snapfish.

Also as others have said, if guests keep dissapearing for photo shoots then this will restrict the amount of people who are able to meet the star and get an autograph.

This is a signing show remember and not a convention where you  cannot take photos during the signing sessions.  It would be completely pointless introducing photo shoots.

907808[/snapback]

Well you may find it completely pointless as might the other two posted after you, which btw if ur talking about the organiser in which i think you are, then i must say at their events its cheaper and photo shoots arent that expensive.

Fair enough YOU may think they are pointless but other people dont, if people are willing to pay money for photo shoots then they should have the choice, obv showmasters run things differently n thats fine. But by saying they are pointless is silly, most people prefer a photo than an auto, and a lot of guests Carrie fisher, Charisma Carpenter, werent posing for photos as they have bigs queues at least people who want a photo session know that they are more likely to have a pic taken when their is a photo session rather than worrying they may not as the guest may be too busy! but you are right with the sigining and not a convention so im not going to disagree fully with your reply!

Well you may find it completely pointless as might the other two posted after you, which btw if ur talking about the organiser in which i think you are, then i must say at their events its cheaper and photo shoots arent that expensive.

Fair enough YOU may think they are pointless but other people dont, if people are willing to pay money for photo shoots then they should have the choice, obv showmasters run things differently n thats fine. But by saying they are pointless is silly, most people prefer a photo than an auto, and a lot of guests Carrie fisher, Charisma Carpenter, werent posing for photos as they have bigs queues at least people who want a photo session know that they are more likely to have a pic taken when their is a photo session rather than worrying they may not as the guest may be too busy! but you are right with the sigining and not a convention so im not going to disagree fully with your reply!

907886[/snapback]

Well, I am talking about the other London based event, and their photos did cost 15 pounds since they introduced photo sessions in 2004.

Partly they were not allowing photos at the guest's tables at all anymore, referring to "but we have the photo sessions now."

It's fine if some people prefer to get their photos done in the photo session and don't get an autograph. But I personally don't think it's fair to force everyone into that system. A big part of the people would pay twice: 15 for the autograph and another 15 for the photo, because not everyone wants a photo only.

Its not pointless its just not right for this event!

Its not a "focused on one show/movie thing" like SG1 or LotR so i would say that the amount of trouble it would be would perhaps jeopardise the event in the future, its just not a necessity in my opinon.

and i agree it sucks having to pay 15 for an auto then 15 for a photo which you have no control over at the end of the day.

Veasse xx

it wouldn't cost tht much. A professional is not needed. You can get a decent Digital Camera for around £100, and one of those portable photo printers for about £120, and if they were charging up to £15 (a bit steep I might add) a photo then thats a heck of a good profit.

907802[/snapback]

Yes, of course that all you need - spend a few quid on a digital camera and there you are A PHOTOGRAPHER. If only it was THAT easy there would be no need for professionals.

I know, I'll go to B&Q tomorrow, go buy some saws, a chisel maybe, some overalls and ply my trade as a Carpenter. Gotta be easy, cutting up bits of wood and sticking them together....?

Yes I'm being fascetious, BUT What you are paying for with a PROFESSIONAL in anything ....is TRUST.

Just suppose you attend a show with photo sessions and you REALLY REALLY want to get your photo taken with the one celebrity you've ALWAYS wanted to meet.

You TRUST that opportunity to some geezer who bought a £100 camera the day before and has some crappy inkjet printer or portable (meaning the size prints are 6" x 4") 'photo printer'. The photo he takes is rubbish....flash never went off, or if it did it bleached out your faces...or is way too dark...or is blurred for whatever reason....or you have your eyes shut....or...or....

Yes, sure, you might be lucky, but hey take a CLOSE look at the vast majority of fan photos posted after events. Do they look 'professional' ? Sorry, but NO. They are sufficient to put on a website, sufficient to give you a memory of the time you met so-and-so. They are free, taken yourself, so because of that they're OK.

But if you want a PROFESSIONAL 10" X 8" photograph, you need a proper photographer, taking a sharp image printed on digital photo equipment....dont you?

Trouble is as other posters have said, if you take a celebrity away from their signing area, their TIME has to be paid for. If they are a popular celeb like a CHARISMA, SHATNER, CARRIE, ELIJAH, MASTERS etc - they would sign maybe 200 autos in the hour that they would spend posing for photos at a photo shoot - thats 200 @ £20 each = £4000. So do the maths. You line them up for a photo shoot with '£100camerageezer' ...can he work quickly, professionally and accurately. I guess not if what I've been told about other such shoots that happen. Can he line up 200 fans for photos with the celeb? Fans, of course that will all expect a PERFECT photo for their money and no doubt shake the hand of the celeb, say hello etc.

Does not leave much time AND if that was going to work as well (as much profit) as celebrity signing an already done photo, you would have to charge AT LEAST the same as it is for an auto to cover the costs of printing and assuming '£100camerageezer' did not have to be paid too.

And dont take into account the ADMIN - that is assuming photos would be ready later in the day/weekend. Someone has to make sure ALL the photos are printed, all satisfactorily and all labelled, packaged to go to the right person (dont forget it could be 200 people waiting for photos)....and thats just for ONE Celebrity.

Whoever takes on the job of '£100camerageezer' must be a masochist to want to do it. Being a PHOTOGRAPHER is NOT just standing around taking a few photos, you are holding the memories of PAYING customers in your hands.

The boys and girls who help out at Collectormania and LFACC events snapping pics of fans with guests with the fans own cameras do a great job - for free. But if ever you have had a photo taken with your camera at a show which has not been as you'd hoped, you know how disappointed you were. Double that disappontment, treble it....and more, if you'd paid £20 for a picture with the celebrity you'd dreamed about meeting and it was crap. Would you TRUST '£100camerageezer' with your onceinalifetime moment?

Anyway, just me trying to put in perspective the pitfalls of operating photoshoots - QUALITY photoshoots at conventions.

And if anyone wants some Carpentry work doing........? (No really I'm crap at that stuff)

KEITH

Edited by keith

I agree with what has already been said: there's no way I want to pay £15/£20 for an auto then ANOTHER £15/£20 for a photo on top for ALL the guests I meet! as a student, I soo couldn't afford that! :(:angel:

happy to have a photo taken by a friend on my own camera :lol: and yes I've had some that haven't come out perfectly but atleast I didn't pay £20 for! I've asked crew to take photos before but unless there's no rush it's not worth it, bad experiences :( (and no I am not flaming the crew, cause I am one :P)

I have paid £15/£20 (can't mem which) for posed "professional" photos at cons and it's NOT that amazing! I'd have preffered a friend to take one on my own camera but you are not allowed at any time ^_^

the "other" London con does not allow photos with the guest now if you do pay for a posed "Prof" one - there's no choice. some one said people should have a choice to have a photo session or not but people should also have the choice to have a photo with their own camera :D

surfy sah xx

Ok so you go to a show, and have the opportunity to get professional, approved shots of the star either with official backdrop or a screengrab from the movie, and can get that signed....

Or you can get another 'professional' shot of the actor in civvies, maybe a bit jet-lagged, or not exactly running at 100%, and pay money for that....

The difference being what exactly? And how would you be able to spot the difference between the official shot or the shot taken in the shopping centre? And how would you stop 'unofficial' photographers getting their pics? seal off the area to anyone bar the guest and the photographer and assistant? That'll go down well....

Then what? wait a few days/weeks for the film to get developed and printed and Royal Mail to get round to delivering? And what if the shot ends up being crap? Sue SM?

Even if the idea is to do shots of star plus fanboy, whats to stop fanboy complaining about the pic, or doing something that will rile the star, or just hog the shoot. Can you imagine if a horde, sorry family tries to get a shot, talk about time wasting..! 'Can we take it again... smile for the camera Dwayne, look at the nice man Chelsea, ooh you're such a nice man Mr Monaghan... Look like Hobbits, can we pose like that scene, you know......' And if theres a complaint about that last comment.... 'Oh you're so f(*ing rude, rip-off! I'll tell all my imaginary friends about you....'

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest I used to think the same as Space Cowboy, and that it would be a good idea, but it all comes down to money in the end, so allocating space and time to the photo sessions, without making them ridiculously expensive is always going to make less money than the auto sessions.

Think how many autos Shatner could sign at £25 a pop in a minute, compared to one photo which you could charge about the same for, it just wouldn't make sense.