JOSS WEADON - love him or loathe him?

nicky

JOSS WEADON - you like or not like?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. JOSS WEADON - you like or not like?

• Love his work
    • Hate his work
    • Don't mind his work

There are a lot of fans of his but there are also many people who can't stand him it seems. I'm guessing most people love him though...

But all those that hate him seem to do so for the same reason - Alien: Ressurection....of course fans will defend him by saying that even he hates that film and that the studio made him make changes to his original vision but then again he did write that woeful dialogue and awful back-story.

Edited by nicky

Well, for a start it might help if you spelt his name correctly !

It is Joss Whedon (not Weadon !)

When Joss was just a young pup making out in Hollywood , as is the case he didn't have the freedom to do what he wanted, hence love or hate them you can't really blame him for Alien Resurrection or the Buffy Movie.

When Joss got bigger he made his own Buffy TV series , which was quite a success I believe and had many commerical spin offs, and a spin off Series called Angel as well, which wasn't half bad itself.

Joss has also had quite a bit of success in writing comics, most recently with his X-Men title.

Joss has at least demi-god status, but then hopefully he still has a good few years ahead of him and it will be interesting to see what he does with Wonder Woman.

For me love joss and his work on Buffy and Angel, havent seen any of his other work but hope to see Serenity soon! :blush:

Just remembered about Toy story aswell, classic kids film enjoyed by all ages! :lol:

Edited by pinkangel

You gotta l**e the man! If you've read the Official Serenity Magazine, he has a humour that no other posseses - and if you've watched the films or series, you'll just see that lovely humour on the screen!

I actually quite liked the Buffy film...

• Moderators

I admire the guy for making Buffy into what it became, a very popular cult series which spawned a spin-off and god knows how much in merchandising, conventions etc! It also made a movie star out of Sarah Michelle Gellar.

So, for his work on Buffy, Angel and, to an extent, Firefly .. I think he's a very rare talent. Unfortunately I think the best was yet to come with Firefly but that was cut short! At least we got Serenity.

People can hate him for Alien:Resurrection but that's just one movie. I don't think anyone should be judged on the basis of one piece of work, but rather a continued high-quality portfolio of work. Everyone's allowed a blip once in a while!

And yes, Toy Story was great! That shows just how talented Joss is. He can tackle many different genres.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Wonder Woman, and I'd like to see him tackle a future X-Men movie.

• 8 months later...

personally, i'd say hating him for one peice of work is wrong.

if no-one was liked unless they never made a single mistake, then the world would be a very angry place. sure, i've no problem with someone hating that piece of work - but if the same someone is going to be judged on their own failures, rather than on both successes and failures, then its fair to do the same to others. and joss' work is, at least for the most part, a success - buffy, angel, serenity/firefly, toy story all stand out.

Love his work! Buffy and Angel were awesome and Serenity too! He brings a certain humor to his scripts that I think can only be achieved by the fact that hes a big Sci-fi/horror fan himself.

Although I have to say for me I prefur JJ Abrams at the moment, Alias and Lost are awesome! collaboration time I think! Lets have Joss working with JJ for a really special episode of lost!

There are a lot of fans of his but there are also many people who can't stand him it seems. I'm guessing most people love him though...

But all those that hate him seem to do so for the same reason - Alien: Ressurection....of course fans will defend him by saying that even he hates that film and that the studio made him make changes to his original vision but then again he did write that woeful dialogue and awful back-story.

Erm, the thing is - I've read his original screenplay and its FAR BETTER than the final film version!

Well I'll be one of those who's not bothered by his work. 50/50 so to speak.

Buffy I liked to begin with, but got fed up of after so many seasons.

Angel I loved.

I've been trying to get into Serenity but it's just not happening for me.

Love the Astonishing X-Men.

In saying all that I still say the guy is a genius.

:wub: him - for Firefly and Serenity; for Buffy and Angel; for Equality Now (a charity "working to end violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world"); for Toy Story.

Ok, so Alien Ressurection wasn't fab, but I think there could have been a good movie made from Whedon's screenplay. Anyway, for me the main issue with the film wasn't the writing, but the travesty that was the design of the alien hybrid - somewhere along the line the dark beauty of Geiger's original creation mutated into what looked like Iron Maiden's Eddie - that was just a mis-step too far for me.

But Joss rocks.

• 4 weeks later...