Where are all the 'NEW' guests

Fry

To be honest I was talking more about Voyager cast. Some of DS9 & TNG were ok, well colm meaney was/is cool I would love to meet him.

The old Star Trek cast had personality though. Chekov is great as Bester in B5, he played the character so well. I have seen Shattners stuff and he was pretty bad in all of it. I have not seen any of the other cast.

Patrick Stewart is very talented and I think maybe there could be something good from Brent Spiner sometime.

I think most of them just do the con scene now, its free world travel and easy money.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

small guests have there uses and i have found can be better to talk to and you do get a chance to talk to them, bigger guests need to keep the line moving, i have seen first hand how ugly things can turn when someone is perceaved as holding up the line by talking to the guest

agree totally you always get your moneys worth with the smaller guests! They have more time to chat and often have some very interests storys from there days on set!

QUOTE (Laughing Cavalier @ Jul 22 2005, 10:31 PM)

Shatner has always had other work and is currently enjoying a huge career rennaisance 

Yes Im sure a breakfast cereal advert must be the high point of his career....

I think they were referring to his role in the hit us tv show boston legal! Which is currently being shown on living tv over here and is well worth checking out!

Shatner has always had other work and is currently enjoying a huge career rennaisance

:blink:

I actually saw him in a TV advert for some kind of car insurance while I was in the US earlier this month. :unsure:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather Showmasters did an event with just 10 or so really strong guests while leaving out all the fillers.

All these small time tv show actors who'll be forgotten long before the likes of Buffy and the BSG remake have faded in to obscurity rarely have any sort of pulling power, especially when you consider the need to get new people to attend events. If and when these people have cemented their place in popular culture, they can then be brought to events.

More quality and less quantity anyone?

you say you want 10 realy top line guests, well if they did that i hope for your sake you have the patience to que for all three days all day long and alnight long like people did for frodo because that would be the only way you will get all 10 autographs.

something for everyone to think about, ask your self and give an honest answer.

how many times have you gone to an event for a select few big name autographs and looked at the que and said forget that im not waiting that long and ether left the event with only half what you came for or looked at some of the smaller guests with no que and said what the hell and used the rest of your cash on them.

small guests have there uses and i have found can be better to talk to and you do get a chance to talk to them, bigger guests need to keep the line moving, i have seen first hand how ugly things can turn when someone is perceaved as holding up the line by talking to the guest

In all honesty, I've never gone home without the autograph of a guest I wanted to meet because of queues. I missed out on Brad Dourif but that was cos I forgot he was there. :lol: I remember queuing for quite some time at LFCC1 to see Tony Todd, but I was happy to stand in line.

To quote Jimmy D, "If something's important you make the time".

I suppose I meant this by big guests: Major series cast members regardless of show or genre, as long as that show and the guest is going to be popular and recoup what you've paid them to show up.

I like the smaller guests as much as most of you. Yes, you do have more time with them, and they are usually more friendly and approachable. But why do they have more time? Because only you and a small handful of others have wanted to see them.

Rare guests are a great idea for those serious collectors amongst us. I'm not saying we shouldn't have them at events. But having 5 or more guests that few people have heard of or care about at the same event is not doing anyone any favours.

And as for stunt doubles etc, don't get me started. :huh:

Getting guests that only sign for maybe 40 or 50 people in a day is futile from a financial perspective. I think we've all seen A LOT of previous guests at Showmasters events with no queue for hours on end even with a good overall attendence. These people are being paid handsomely for reading a good book or having a kip with one eye open.

If anyone can tell me the point of this, I'm all ears.

There comes a time when common sense should tell you that you have to draw the line at trying to cater for everyone at the same event.

agree totally you always get your moneys worth with the smaller guests! They have more time to chat and often have some very interests storys from there days on set!

QUOTE (Laughing Cavalier @ Jul 22 2005, 10:31 PM)

I think they were referring to his role in the hit us tv show boston legal! Which is currently being shown on living tv over here and is well worth checking out!

Not to mention his appearances in both Miss Congeniality films with Sandra Bullock.

He was actually rather good in the first one and almost sent himself up.

I also forgot to mention his recent CD with Ben Folds. To all those people who for decades have mocked Shatner's attempts at singing, I suggest everyone should listen to his cover of Pulp's Common People.

He also recently won a Golden Globe for Botson Legal. So either he can actually act, or they'll just vote for anyone over there. :huh:

Edited by Laughing Cavalier

Well, it was more a joke than anything else (in response to all these threads about reunions).

But to my knowledge, only Robert Stack and Lloyd Bridges are dead. The movie was in 1980, one year after the first Alien.

Edited by lams9999

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather Showmasters did an event with just 10 or so really strong guests while leaving out all the fillers.

All these small time tv show actors who'll be forgotten long before the likes of Buffy and the BSG remake have faded in to obscurity rarely have any sort of pulling power, especially when you consider the need to get new people to attend events. If and when these people have cemented their place in popular culture, they can then be brought to events.

Sorry, I don't understand why this makes a difference? Showmasters aren't going to be able to get 'bigger' guests, just because they are only splashing out on 10 of them! There's only a certain amount of auto's one guest can sign during the weekend, so if they limited themselves to just 10 guests, their potential profit wouldn't be that great.

If you don't like the 'filler' guests, don't go and see them... as long as some people do and buy autographs, then they are likely to make SM a profit (which WILL help them spend mroe on guests in the future.)

Sorry, I don't understand why this makes a difference? Showmasters aren't going to be able to get 'bigger' guests, just because they are only splashing out on 10 of them! There's only a certain amount of auto's one guest can sign during the weekend, so if they limited themselves to just 10 guests, their potential profit wouldn't be that great.

If you don't like the 'filler' guests, don't go and see them... as long as some people do and buy autographs, then they are likely to make SM a profit (which WILL help them spend mroe on guests in the future.)

As always Chris, it's good to see you flaming other people's posts before taking time out to use your brain.

Very few people go to see most of the filler guests. I've seen it, you've seen it (even if you blocked it out with your blinkered view of everything), everyone's seen it. Many of us have even see higher calibre guests sitting on there arses doing nothing.

Particularly if LFCC is to continue, people need to be got through the door in much higher numbers. To attract them you need HIGH quality guests.

If these guests cost more money, then fine. SM spend their budget on less of them, but ones which will likely get far more people to the event than the current 4 or 5 high calibre guests and 25 fillers policy.

SM jack up the cost of autographs to cover costs, but many people will spend no more than they do already as they will see fewer guests.

End result is that you have more people spending the average amount per head than you do at the moment which equals more profit and better guests for the future.

I know it's only the end of july for I really did think some more guests would be accounced by now.

I've booked an hotel and looks like I might cancel and just go for the day this rate.

Already an friend of mine is just changed her mind and is going for the day meaning my hotel price will be going up. I do like an lot of the smaller guests they are fun but at this time I'm sad to say there is not one person I want an auto of.

Normally at this time I have at least 3 people.

• Moderators

More guests announced by now? Some events don't even have ANY guests announced, so I don't think we can complain about the quantity we've got so far :wub:

Sure the line up may not be to everyone's tastes but WHEN IS IT EVER?!

Fact is that IF they could get "major guests" as they're called by some people, I'm sure they would! But there's not much they can do about availability, and that's just the way it goes .. the major guests often are still working.

Other events in the UK are more than able to get high quality guests.

Any possible reasons as to why Showmasters seem to struggle in this department are up for debate.

Everyone knows the type of guests who in the past have appeared at the "other event" and at the N E C.

They were high quality guests. . Madsen, Carradine, Robert Patrick, Hagman, Nimoy, Lazenby.

It makes me wonder who Showmasters were going after when other organisers were getting signed contracts from these people.

Edited by Laughing Cavalier

As always Chris, it's good to see you flaming other people's posts before taking time out to use your brain.

Very few people go to see most of the filler guests. I've seen it, you've seen it (even if you blocked it out with your blinkered view of everything), everyone's seen it. Many of us have even see higher calibre guests sitting on there arses doing nothing.

Particularly if LFCC is to continue, people need to be got through the door in much higher numbers. To attract them you need HIGH quality guests.

If these guests cost more money, then fine. SM spend their budget on less of them, but ones which will likely get far more people to the event than the current 4 or 5 high calibre guests and 25 fillers policy.

SM jack up the cost of autographs to cover costs, but many people will spend no more than they do already as they will see fewer guests.

End result is that you have more people spending the average amount per head than you do at the moment which equals more profit and better guests for the future.

Actually some of us like the filler guests and enjoy going to see the more grounded, fun and friendly guests.

• Moderators

"Filler" guests may not make as much money, but they're often the most popular in terms of customer satisfaction. They're usually the most approachable and make these events enjoyable for people! It's always nice to not be rushed n have a proper conversation with these people, no matter how big or small their roles may have been.

You can pay £20 to go n get ur auto and a 5 second meeting with a big guest, or you could pay £10-15 for an autograph and a decent length chat off a less popular one!

They both have their benefits.

Any possible reasons as to why Showmasters seem to struggle in this department are up for debate.

Everyone knows the type of guests who in the past have appeared at the "other event" and at the N E C.

They were high quality guests. . Madsen, Carradine, Robert Patrick, Hagman, Nimoy, Lazenby.

It makes me wonder who Showmasters were going after when other organisers were getting signed contracts from these people.

Again I ask you, what do you class as High Profile Guests!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always amusing when someone has a pop for not reading a post and thinking before replying, when they then make themselves look stupid by doing exactly what they accuse that poster of.

Where exactly did I 'flame' you? Kindly show me the insult in what I posted? Or could it be you didn't read it or engage your brain before replying...

I never said that people go to events 'to see most of the filler guests', kindly show me where I said that? If a guest only signs 100 photo's over a weekend, but are paid on the basis of the number of auto's sold, then they WILL make SM profit.

My point, is that filler guests take a minimal amount of the SM budget, yet do provide an income. If a 'filler' guest repeatedly lost SM momey (on repeat visits, like a lot of them do), then would SM keep inviting them back? Answer = no. These filler guests, aside from providing a distraction for some attendees who aren't you, DO add to the SM revenue and profit. Therefore, why not invite them? It's basically turning money down.

You seem to 'know' a lot about the number of people through the doors at the comic cons? Can you quote this source? I know Comic Con 2 was light on attendees, but I would be very surprised if the last one didn't have a lot more people through the door (yes, I was there both days). Can anyone confirm if the number of entrants was up or down on LFCC2?

You base this on what exactly?

Again I ask you, what do you class as High Profile Guests!!!!!!!!!!!

well laughing cavalier my friend, cat-b has asked a good question so how bout we define it a bit more and see if you are up to the chalange ?

your mission should you accept it is to list 20 top quality guests which can then be refined down to 10 for c8.

each guest must be able to draw enough people for 3 days with open queing aloud for only the last half of the last day just to make sure there costs are covered.

the guest list must be diverse enough so that no group of fans feel left out.

you have put forward some big names but before you resubmit them be aware that some have done 2 or 3 day events in the past and not been bizzy all the time and some have only done single days which at a full weekend event puts them under extra demand.

the end list must be one you would be willing to put your money were your mouth is on, showmasters do at every event.

this is just a friendly challenge but also a very hard one and if you do manage it you never know showmasters might even offer you a job with them.

(throws gauntlet on the floor)

So do you work for these 'other events', by any chance?

I don't go to the ones you're referring to.... can anyone confirm if these guests mention by LC were at the SAME event*?

*By same event, I mean on teh same day at the same location!

• Moderators

Nope there were a max of two or three at the SAME event from what I can remember from that list.

Lazenby by himself, Nimoy by himself .. not sure where the other 4 cross over exactly, but definitely not all at the same one. Either 2/2 or 3/1.