Giving guests 'presents'

What do you think of people giving 'presents' to guests?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of people giving 'presents' to guests?

• It's a bit creepy let's face it!
    • The guest will only throw it away so why bother?
    • I love to give them gifts, it makes it more personal
    • I knit warwick davis a sweater for each time I meet him
    • I had a choc bar for Val Kilmer, over which I had made some dark magic incantations etc.
    • If [insert *hot* guest name] turned up, I'd have something for 'em let me tell ya (wink)

Can't remember who it is but someone gives vegetables. Maybe showmasters could adopt a local charity shop to give any unwanted gifts to.

Vegetables???? What, like Turnips or something? :unsure:

Eep! That's just... Wrong. Lolz!

I never give guests presents. The way I see it is they have a lot more money than me and £20 is present enough. :)

I understand why people give presents though. Meeting the guests is so rushed, I guess they want to make the moment more personal.

Edited to add that guests don't always throw or give the gifts away. I remember meeting one actor (I think it was Andy Hallet from Angel) who said he had to buy another suitcase to take all the presents he'd received home.

Edited by curlywurlygirly

Ive seen many actors having to get extra carrier bags for all their goodies.

It is amazing what some fans give. the time thought and money that go into some is mind blowing.

I wonder how many turnips Tony Robinson would get, if he ever did one. (I would love him too)

At one ages ago an actor got loads of teddy bears and he was like 'Why are people giving me soft toys?' I had to gentley remind him that his wife was about to have a baby. bless him.

Edited by mutley

At one ages ago an actor got loads of teddy bears and he was like 'Why are people giving me soft toys?' I had to gentley remind him that his wife was about to have a baby. bless him.

Heheheh.

Men eh ^_^ lol

But getting back on topic, don't see anything wrong with giving a guest presents. Guess whoever is doing it is trying to make a greater connection or something. If it's unusual maybe the guest will remember them. Like the guy who got remembered by Adam for giving him some pressie. It was pretty cool that he remembered the guy and said he still had it.

I'd never do it, I get hopelessly star struck :D

How is giving somebody a present creepy???Unless it was a creepy present?

I gave John Barrowman some chocolates. He mentioned it in the talk.

Erm yeah, I don't normally. I do random things like handing out Lollypops cos it's fun and I'm quite a giving person.

Can't remember who it is but someone gives vegetables. Maybe showmasters could adopt a local charity shop to give any unwanted gifts to.

VegetableMaiden AKA Leyla gave the harry potter guys potatoes in a bra, if thats what you mean.

Oh well, she got a mention in the dvds didn't she? ^_^ (yes... She did) :D

VegetableMaiden AKA Leyla gave the harry potter guys potatoes in a bra, if thats what you mean.

Oh well, she got a mention in the dvds didn't she? :P (yes... She did) :P

You beat me! :o

Elsewhere this weekend at another event I saw some European attendees giving the guests a couple of belgian/french?!?! chocs. The guests loved it and it was a nice personal touch.

Still voted creepy though :lol:

I wouldn't usually, but I did give Adam Baldwin a photograph of a friend of mine dressed as the Jaynestown statue at a fancy dress competition.

He grinned, and said 'Oh, I'd heard about this', which was the ultimate compliment, then impersonated the statue and commending it. If he throws it away, so be it - but thought he'd like a copy :) That was only the second present I've given any guest.

I notice that some people go with 'gifts' for the guests (i.e. chocolates or whatever). Can't see myself ever doing something like that lol, but wondered how many of do this stuff? Does this seriously take place?

I have gave Vincent Kartheiser and Julie benz something b4 and then the Next yr i asked Vincent about it as Julie gave the gift to him for me, he was happy to find out that it was me that gave it him, and he held my hand lol saying how much he loved it and it was in his b,room, was happy, and they same with julie its in her b,room :lol:

But i have never given any other guests anything , only something to andy hallett when he was ill.

I gave Amy Acker a very special gift related to her character in Angel and that made a nice connection. I'm happy I did it. My friend usually gives chocolate to the guests but hey, we are from Belgium, we've got the best chocolates, the best beers and the best fries, you can't understand in the UK ^_^ How can you serve beers as bad as that ? :rolleyes:

Edited by lams9999

I recently went to a con in the US and the group that I was with gave the main guest a present in the form of a cheque donation to their favourite charity, instead of all of us giving little meaningless gifts.

The guest was so touched that he thanked the group in person at the evening performance and it meant more to the guest and us.

Susie

we've got the best chocolates, the best beers and the best fries, you can't understand in the UK  How can you serve beers as bad as that ? 

agreed with the beer!!! all the best beers come from either belgium, germany or austria!!! i bet your all alcoholics!! :D

i can't wait to go to one of the festivals over there!

Edited by fugaziuk

Vegetables???? What, like Turnips or something? :D

jason isaacs got the turnip :D

:wub: leyla