SciFiMAD

159 members have voted

1. 1. Collectormania Venue Change

• MK
    • Earls Court
    • Wembley
    • NEC
    • Other

After seeing how a Showmasters event ran so much better in a venue designed for events compared with MK which was designed for shopping.

I was wondering what people thought about Showmasters moving Collectormania which is by far the largest event of it kind in the UK so a different venue or becoming part of London Film and Comic Con.

What do you think????

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totally agree that it needs a better venue! I voted for NEC... think about us poor soul's up north having to travel 200+ miles a few times a year... Birmingham is more central and the NEC is a great venue with no huge windows letting in blistering sun and more space for the dealer stalls!! :lol:

I voted MK, if it aint broke don't fix it! SMs have said in the past that they will not change the venue for collectormania, thankfully. MK is part of the magic of the event, change that and you are changing the event. personally I don't think it needs changing.

• Moderators

I'd be annoyed if they moved it to the NEC cuz that'd be stupid and there's nothing REALLY to make it stand out from another event there.

The main selling point of Collectormania IS the fact that it's in a shopping centre, with free entry, and it's a unique experience .. take that away and it's just another show like the rest really.

So, do I want to see it move? No. It's in a good location (the centre in Milton Keynes) and I find it has a whole different atmosphere from the somewhat heartless empty aircraft hanger-like halls of Wembley, Earls Court, NEC etc.

And definitely NOT become a part of LFACC. Fact is that Collectormania is where it started and allowed LFACC to grow FROM IT and that shouldn't be abandoned. Yes, Collectormania is a lot bigger than what it was but we learn how to improve and cope with the space ...

I'd be annoyed if they moved it to the NEC cuz that'd be stupid and there's nothing REALLY to make it stand out from another event there.

The main selling point of Collectormania IS the fact that it's in a shopping centre, with free entry, and it's a unique experience .. take that away and it's just another show like the rest really.

So, do I want to see it move? No. It's in a good location (the centre in Milton Keynes) and I find it has a whole different atmosphere from the somewhat heartless empty aircraft hanger-like halls of Wembley, Earls Court, NEC etc.

And definitely NOT become a part of LFACC. Fact is that Collectormania is where it started and allowed LFACC to grow FROM IT and that shouldn't be abandoned. Yes, Collectormania is a lot bigger than what it was but we learn how to improve and cope with the space ...

oi mr posty-the-same-time-as-me lol

I agree with you vido!

See you're a noggin!!!! Bright spark! lol!

It's more fun at MK!!! IT's so different!!! there is the thing with major guests being hounded but it's all goood!!!! we made it through C4 with Dom, Sean and Elijah and C 7 with alexis, James, Anthony, Dean, Jolene, Sean, JRD and Corin!!! ;) We can deal wqith anything! :lol:

I would love Collectormania and London Film and Comic Convention to be held at Earls Court. Its is the perfect size for the guests and stalls with more space to walk around and shorter distance for me to travel :lol:

That would pretty much make them the exact same event though :angel:

I dont think it should move at all....its special....its meant to be how it is where it is :lol:

I am very tempted to say London as its close to me.

But the joys of having it in the MK centre is all the cash points and coffee shops.

Do you think there could be any chance that the glass windows where some of the guests where sitting could be curtained up. it was like an oven and people staring in.

I voted MK because I found it unique as a venue compared to the usual conference halls and unsually you can get food and drink at reasnoble prices. It is also close to where I live so on a personal basis very convenient to me.

Here is my plan

Change one CM to July and hold it at Bournemouth International Centre its more than big enough plus you walk out the door turn left and you are at the beach. Parking is cheap and there is plenty of cheap hotels and stuff to do.

I really don`t like the centre for the event the general public get in the way so much and really get on my wick. I know people argue that it helps get newbies but for that they need to change the line up. They will never convince anybody that this thing is cool using Star Trek or old Dr Who guests.

i actually really like the shopping centre.

i mean yes its crowded but generally i arrive for when it opens so the general public aren't really milling around grab my virtual tickets then wander around the stalls for the bit and tehn instead of having to just stand in a hall i can go shopping or to the cinema or sit in McDonalds.

Plus the crowds feellike part of it i got really annoyed at C6 and at C7 i just decided to mellow and if anything it just got me more excited.

So i hope they don't change it for a lass from the Highlands MK is easier to manage than London

i voted MK. Yes ir's a bit small, but after going to London, it just wasn't the same, it wasn't anything like collectormania, with everyone bustling around. also the lighting ewas not good for photo's, all the distance photo's i took came out with an orange glow. :angry:

• Showmasters Admin

OK I'm biased as I live in MK. But I do think it should stay in MK. As others have said it does have it's issues with no being a tailor made event venue but it's still a good venue. The main problem is the general public and I think there are ways of minimising that and I will be talking to SM about it.

It does make it stand out from other events, I've NEVER been to another event that has half the vibe that the MK events have. You go there and there is this whole air of excitement about the place. I love Collectormania where it is, and I think it would loss so much by moving.

Here is my plan

Change one CM to July and hold it at Bournemouth International Centre its more than big enough plus you walk out the door turn left and you are at the beach. Parking is cheap and there is plenty of cheap hotels and stuff to do.

I really don`t like the centre for the event the general public get in the way so much and really get on my wick. I know people argue that it helps get newbies but for that they need to change the line up. They will never convince anybody that this thing is cool using Star Trek or old Dr Who guests.

Bah Dom you and your vendetta against Star Trek! ^_^ I'll do you a deal - if we can have these : -

Gates McFadden

Levar Burton

Jeri Ryan

Jennifer Lien

Terry Farrell

The Shatner

George Takei

Then that will make me happy, and we can move on to other things. Not sure about Dr Who - it really doesn't float my boat (loved the series, but not that fussed about meeting any of them - except perhaps Peter Davison or Tom Baker). But you're right in principle - different types of guests need to be got. How about a V reunion? :D

Anyway, London would be hugely easier for me, but MK is nice because you can make a real day of it. You can do a bit of Skiing (in the snozone), watch a film in the cinema, do some shopping, etc.

near a beach!! that would amazing!! :D

but must agree mk is tradition annoying shoppers gawking or not!