How do you see LFCC in the future?

I can't see how someone would only get 3 guests in a day if they were prepared, there all day, and got their queue tickets etc.

I managed to get two photoshoots and an autograph done in Newcastle while crewing so can't see attendees having much problem getting more than three even if they want popular guests

I don't think anything will ever compare to LFCC. I'm not SM so it's obviously personal opinion but there'll never be the demand for the other events that LFCC has.

Nowhere near the size and scale that I get but smaller shows still need to offer that something, not everyone can afford to travel down south.

• Like 1

Id like to see maybe more involvement from studios, perhaps another hall one day where studios bring guests to promote films as well as SM. There could be a balance between size and scale. A good size can benefit more than a complete mass of people as if the size is perfect more people enjoy it and therefore likely to spend more money.

For me I want to see big companies attending next like Weta or marvel, it will help them as well as the fandom can see more of a connection with the companies

It really has been a gradual increase in size, the last few Summer LFCCs have been getting bigger each year and with each year comes more experience of running shows on this scale.

I'm sure running big events like Destination Star Trek as well all help develop the offerings and where the event will go in the future.

Is bigger necessarily better, well I guess in terms of attracting bigger names it would be and also getting studio interest. You may get more studios wanting to run panels to promote new films or tv series, but that might not necessarily mean the guests would sign or do photoshoots, but all good I guess overall.

It's amazing to think these type of events all started with just 8 guests in a shopping centre in Milton Keynes and now you could be looking at over 200 guests taking over two massive halls in London with names like Stan Lee, Michael Madsen etc in attendance.

I think in order to truely be on the next level something that should be overhauled is the trader situation, it should move away from its more humble roots - a glorified indoor market or fair - to be more like an exhibition, where the big guns need to exhibit. You look at official events, you get a exhibit floor plan, a list of who's attending, contact details - you get as much trade from that promotion as just being on the floor. They spend enough, they want a wider audience to know they are there.

But I don't think they want to go down that route, and the existing amateur format does have a charm to it.

But quality over quanity could be amazing.

Its the same with production companies. BBC Worldwide takes Doctor Who to the SDCC to promote it, seems to do rather well. It shouldn't about is it good for international players to promote at your event, its can they afford not to.

Edited by TerraHawk

With growth comes learning, and SMs go from one event to the next taking on board what to improve. It will continue to get bigger, but they will adapt to that, and I don't feel it'll ever get to the point where people stop enjoying it or queue all day for 1 guest etc.

As for huge names, we'll always get some, but it's an impossible task to compare to NY or San Diego etc simply because of the location. We'll always have that against us, but I think we do pretty damn well considering.

I get what you're saying about location, but I think it's more down to size. Movie studios already send their actors around the world to do promotions and press events, so it actually would not be a great hassle for them to do it at an event like LFCC. Where the one hall didn't really have the room for this, when more space is available I can see a press area become available and this be a viable option for studios to promote new shows and movies. We've already seen this on a smaller scale with Dredd / Karl Urban and the City of Bones talk last year.

• Moderators

It's definitely a possibility, but I suppose what I'm saying is that a huge amount of guests can go to San Diego and do talks and promo because it's 'local.' That simply isn't financially viable here, unless of course it was UK based stuff.

It's definitely a possibility, but I suppose what I'm saying is that a huge amount of guests can go to San Diego and do talks and promo because it's 'local.' That simply isn't financially viable here, unless of course it was UK based stuff.

I agree, although I think It would be cool to see film studies attending to promote films, with another hall being used this year imagine how much more room could be available in the future. I think with 80,000 people attending it would be cool to see more interaction with large companies.

• Like 1

As I said though, its now become the place to be, so the BBC go out there. In fact they went to the Paris Comic Con too

So there probably won't be complete casts making surprise visits to the show. But for studios promoting 100+ million dollar productions, the fact that San Diego or New York is more "local" is really not the biggest issue. They already ship the actors around hotels in Europe for press events and hold big premieres in capital cities. Apart from that, quite a lot of big productions are already filmed in Europe.

• Like 1

I think it's getting too big. So many people, so many guests, lots more to do.....hope it doesn't turn into a similar event that shall not be mentioned.

That said, with the calibre of guests it should be a good weekend, my wallet however, doesn't agree.

• Moderators

So there probably won't be complete casts making surprise visits to the show. But for studios promoting 100+ million dollar productions, the fact that San Diego or New York is more "local" is really not the biggest issue. They already ship the actors around hotels in Europe for press events and hold big premieres in capital cities. Apart from that, quite a lot of big productions are already filmed in Europe.

Location is always going to be the primary issue. Press events and premiere are a whole different thing and it would require a lot of changes to push LFCC towards a San Diego type show. Plus that has its drawbacks too. If people are worried about not getting to do things now, they should look at SDCC. Plenty of people don't even get to attend, and if they do it's certainly not easy to do what you want. Edited by DavidB

I suppose adding more days could help things and spreading bigger guests across certain days would help ques. I think having Stan Lee this year will give people an idea on how things will be going forward. It will depend how many leave with nothing and how many leave with something and no doubt both sides will be flooding the forum with their opinions after the event is over.

Companies bringing people in can certainly help. I know in the States for many convention goers they HATED the Walking Dead guests because it attracted people who would never normally go to a convention and also AMC were the ones setting the prices so it was $40+ per cast member, AMC even provided the 8x10s and you could only have certain images signed. I don't know if that changed over time or not but certainly over there where guests charge what they want it cause a lot of them to increase their prices and then if you wanted a picture at the table using your own camera you had to pay more money and that was guests that were normally happy to chat to fans and take pictures for free. It's all very money driven and of course it will die before it gets better. It has to. It has to hit rock bottom before it can be built back up into what it originally was. Over here it is different. I know that would never happen over here since prices are set and do not change over the 3 days and guests are not really in control of what they do and can't able to change their prices on a whim but I think making autographs affordable should stay. I don't think having an event that is carried on the shoulders of lots of big stars with high prices is the way to go. If that was the case then everyone really would be standing or waiting for a certain que all day rather than checking out the other guests and then would it even be worthwhile bringing lots of other guests over if they're not going to get as much time with people or even get noticed because some people can only afford to go a certain day and they must meet this one person.

Well with this year being the biggest and lets face it probably the best, how do you see LFCC a couple of years from now? Do you think we will see big companies like Marvel or Weta attending or perhaps you see LFCC taking over perhaps two places (eg.) Olympia and Earls Court)

How do you see LFCC in the future :)

It depends if Boris Johnston succeeds in bulldozing the area for posh housing :(

I don't think anything will ever compare to LFCC. I'm not SM so it's obviously personal opinion but there'll never be the demand for the other events that LFCC has.

You should have seen the queue at Newcastle. It was huge!

Well with this year being the biggest and lets face it probably the best, how do you see LFCC a couple of years from now? Do you think we will see big companies like Marvel or Weta attending or perhaps you see LFCC taking over perhaps two places (eg.) Olympia and Earls Court)

How do you see LFCC in the future :)

It depends if Boris Johnston succeeds in bulldozing the area for posh housing :(

Give Boris a gold pass for this year and he will see demishing is not a good idea :P

• Like 1

Is it cool to mention other companies comic cons in this thread then seeing as NY and San Diego are mentioned?? I thought strict forum rules prevented this?

Alot of SDCC bashing on here, its a totally different type of event from the Showmasters ones. SDCC is the number one CC in the world with good reason, its much much more than guest signings. In fact guest signings are way down the list of 'priorities' that the event takes. Tickets sell out within a day I believe and it is mega popular with good reason.

2 different companies producing 2 different type of events and both doing a good job. Room for both in my opinion and if LFCC gradually turns into something like SDCC then it is only a good thing in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Moderators

As you say, SDCC is completely different. I think as much as some people would enjoy changes towards something like that, others would miss the opportunities that LFCC gives.

• Like 1

You say that at SDCC the signing etc is not a priority anymore, as I have never been there, what is, then?

The main reason for me to go to LFCC IS to get signatures and photoshoots. It doesn't suffice for me to just see the actors, as I think is the case at SDCC, I would be very disapponited to see LFCC move from the signing event type.

Edited by SammyRomie
  • Like 1