Such a shame...

I have to say that I was very disappointed at Comiccon yesterday, don't get me wrong it was an incredible show and I met many guests that you could tell were delighted to meet and talk to you. The show was bustling with excitement and the costumes were great to see from all the hardcore fans. Although I had to queue for my ticket as soon as the doors opened Showmasters organised the crowds very well and I was inside within half an hour.

My only complaint has to come from the guest arrangements for Gillian Anderson, Jeri Ryan and Karl Urban. For me the reason I go to these events is only partly for merchandise but is solely to meet and talk to guests. I fail to understand why the focus seemed to be more on making money on autographs to the point where you don't get to talk to your idols and a production line was in effect. I am sure the reasons given will be to enable more people to see them in a day and if that is the case why wasn't this done for any of the other guests? but quite frankly I found it uncomfortable and disgusting and obviously a money making decision rather than a guest friendly one. Why no cameras were aloud was certainly to pressure people in to forking out even more money for photo shoots which after paying to see the top of Gillian Anderson's head I decided against.

Although I did go initially to meet Gillian Anderson and Jeri Ryan I have to admit I had much more respect for the guests I met who had more time for their fans and perhaps if this method was extended to all guests and the show extended to incorporate this or perhaps an online ticket system for meeting front line guests which has a limited number for the day I would be less hesitant about going in future when someone is making an appearance I want to meet. I am planning to go to Destination Star Trek London in October but now my concern is the same production line photo system and if that is the case I may as well just buy a signed picture off ebay.

Edited by tripfontane

I did say that would be the reason but at what cost to fans? You aren't really meeting your idols are you? I say either do it properly or not at all. Even in this faster 'production line' method you are going to have a limit to how many you do a day.

Edited by tripfontane

But as they have so many fans wanting to meet them, it only makes sense that their encounters would be faster than other guests with less fan!traffic.

I believe there would be so many more disappointed people that weren't able to get an autograph vs. people upset that they weren't able to spend much time with the guest while getting their autograph.

Last year I met Christopher Lloyd, who's queues were packed all weekend long - so much so he was still signing after the event had officially finished (so awesome of him). And although I only got to say hello and thank you, I was very happy as I understood he wanted to see as many people as possible :)

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's not about whether a guest 'wants' to give more time to fans or not. In fact, it can sometimes be the opposite - if Karl Urban had hundreds to get through, and decided to give one fan 'more time' then he'd probably have a good few people going away empty handed because of it. Is that then fair? Certainly not.

In the end, it is a signing event and they have to make sure as many people as possible get what they can pay for. I know it's a shame, and it is great when a guest can afford the luxury of giving someone some more time, but not at the expense of others missing out.

I for one was disappointed not to have more time with gillian anderson but attended expecting exactly that so wouldn't possibly complain. If I'd come away having not seen her I would have been distraught. I loved having a bit of time with Nicholas Lea and Mitch Pileggi but they had far fewer people waiting to meet them.

It's not about whether a guest 'wants' to give more time to fans or not. In fact, it can sometimes be the opposite - if Karl Urban had hundreds to get through, and decided to give one fan 'more time' then he'd probably have a good few people going away empty handed because of it. Is that then fair? Certainly not.

In the end, it is a signing event and they have to make sure as many people as possible get what they can pay for. I know it's a shame, and it is great when a guest can afford the luxury of giving someone some more time, but not at the expense of others missing out.

well said david! my daughter got to spend prob 20-30 seconds with gillian and she came out nearly crying she was so happy! i dont expect the A list stars to sit and chat for 5 mins!WAS A GREAT DAY!

Maybe my expectations are different but I thought it was all fine. I didn't feel overly rushed with Gillian or Jeri. Had time to ask a question and say something to them. Gillian even remarked on my name and that I was the first person with that name she'd met that day.

Jeri was lovely and Karl was taking time to talk to everyone and I really felt he engaged and I got great answers to the questions I asked. Didn't take too long but the queue wasn't that big but kept moving.

My only issue was Jeri wasn't personalising first thing when I met her but did later in the day. It's normally the other way around. But she was great and I have no complaints about the amount if time I had with any of them. You'll never get the chance for a long conversation with these people like you can with most others but then I don't expect it and try to have at least one question to ask and happy if I get a good answer.

To be honest, I did think that the very busiest guests are being 'handled' better by SM these days. With David Tennant last year, John Simm, Jeri, Gillian, and Karl this weekend, I didn't feel as if I was being ushered out as soon as I got to the desk, it did actually feel like I was standing in front of them for a while, and actually got to say what I wanted to say to them. It's been fantastic to have that opportunity with those guests, as opposed to older shows with the likes of Patrick Stewart and William Shatner where it did feel extremely rushed. I also like the fact that they do try and allow personalisations as much as possible. There was a time when I never even imagined that Gillian, or even Karl would be personalising, but was pleasantly surprised that I managed to get them

• Like 1

To be honest, I did think that the very busiest guests are being 'handled' better by SM these days. With David Tennant last year, John Simm, Jeri, Gillian, and Karl this weekend, I didn't feel as if I was being ushered out as soon as I got to the desk, it did actually feel like I was standing in front of them for a while, and actually got to say what I wanted to say to them. It's been fantastic to have that opportunity with those guests, as opposed to older shows with the likes of Patrick Stewart and William Shatner where it did feel extremely rushed. I also like the fact that they do try and allow personalisations as much as possible. There was a time when I never even imagined that Gillian, or even Karl would be personalising, but was pleasantly surprised that I managed to get them

I utterly agree with this, I think the recent MASSIVE guests that they've got, have been very well handled and although time with the guest is minimal, its usually enough for a hello and eye contact. Compare that to 'The Shatner' experience of a few years ago and you can see the vast improvements SM have made.

There has to be a balance between the experience and getting through as many fans as possible and I think it was spot on (again).

I was very happy. Gillian Anderson and john Simm both chose to speak to my son and I and Gillian wrote a lovely message (What a sweet, sweet boy you have, keep going, well done!) - in regards to my weight loss inspired by booking her photo shoot ticket - and although I would have happy to have been ushered through quickly due to so many people, as I was with Adam Baldwin at the end of the day, it was lovely to not have to be, also. I would much rather have half a minute and a quick hello than not having met them at all.

The one thing I have learnt in the past is the majority of the time when you go somewhere to meet a celeb, you are lucky if you get more than 30seconds with them! I am someone who is grateful to just have 30seconds if it means I get to meet the celeb I have to gone to see. Admittedly I did not queue for any of the big 5 this weekend, as they were not a priority for me and I couldn't afford it even if they were.

I was 1st in The Queue for Karl and had a V-quick chat ... i passed him the dredd pic to sign and said i'm looking forward to it .. and he said so am i m8 so am i should b good ... all in all about 5 seconds but at least he accknowledged it ... and who cares if u got 5 seconds or 5 minutes with a guest ... you've still met them ... .

I was 1st in The Queue for Karl and had a V-quick chat ... i passed him the dredd pic to sign and said i'm looking forward to it .. and he said so am i m8 so am i should b good ... all in all about 5 seconds but at least he accknowledged it ... and who cares if u got 5 seconds or 5 minutes with a guest ... you've still met them ... .

I think it's really the fact that you come away feeling that they've noticed you, acknowledged you're there to meet them and you've had the opportunity to at least say something and get something back.

Even if it is a few seconds you can still feel that way and I agree that the last few shows the big guests have been handled so much better. They still get through large numbers but unless you're expecting a 5min chat I think you get a decent experience, at least I do.

Simple things like Gillian saying I was the only person she'd met with my name that day when I went back late on to get the talk print signed. You really feel like they've noticed you.

If you'd told me all those years ago watching X-Files that I'd be talking to her and putting my arm round her in a photoshoot I'd never have believed you. I really feel SM are getting a great handle on getting people through but giving you as much time as they can. Sometimes you have to forego personalisation but the improvements are excellent and I'm sorry if people are disappointed. It used to be a lot worse. Just wished they'd allowed Jeri to personalise from the start too. Oh well, can't have everything.

• Like 2

I think it was very well organised and I had a quick but interesting chat with Karl about tattoos which was nice, and the reason they don't allow pictures in some areas are firstly so people get through quicker for autographs and secondly so they don't have to have a flash going off in their eyes for the whole day.

Sarah

Be grateful you even got to meet them at all.. I know a few people that couldn't meet hayden or jeri or gillian because or the vast amounts of people that also wanted too, seriously be grateful!

Something else to remember is that if you want to meet the big guests, try and set aside the whole day for it. By 4.30 on the Saturday, Karl, Gillian and Jeri were all open queue and able to spend a little more time with attendees.

I have to say I'm happy just meeting them. I very nearly missed out on getting some autos and only managed to snag them last minute. I'd have been very disappointed had I missed out on meeting someone because some selfish person had hogged them.

I feel the same with people taking photos with the guests at the tables. The time it takes for that photo could mean that someone else goes home empty handed

Signing events are always going to be quicker than the weekend cons where you do get that bit more of an experience, however I did not feel at all rushed this weekend even with John Simm, who was lovely and had a quick chat with us about being Northerners bless him!!!

In some respects the quicker experience benefits me more as I'm usually that tongue tied around the ''stars'' my brain goes blank and I have nothing to say, case in point Adam Baldwin and I had a great chat about the music he was listening to at the side of him and the pic that I chose for him to sign as I do like a man in uniform, however for the first 60 seconds of this chat I stood there like an absolute numpty while he was chatting and had to be reawoken by my incessantly chatty mother who kept the conversation flowing while I had a mini meltdown!!!!!

I have to say I'm happy just meeting them. I very nearly missed out on getting some autos and only managed to snag them last minute. I'd have been very disappointed had I missed out on meeting someone because some selfish person had hogged them.

I feel the same with people taking photos with the guests at the tables. The time it takes for that photo could mean that someone else goes home empty handed

Most of those guests who had photos with us attendees didn't queues like the big 5 did so I doubt anyone went home empty handed as a result of that factor.

I think we're all possibly 'disappointed' at not having more time with Gillian and Jeri, but in order for everyone who wants to meet them, to do so, the time has to be limited per person. I'm just really grateful to have been given an opportunity to meet them both! It's not an everyday occurrence!

• Like 1

I brought this up before and went through the whole thing about signing event/convention thing and the differences. I have no idea who Karl Urban is infact apart from 5 people on the guest I haven't got a clue who the rest are nor do I need to know as I have a funny feeling they are from cult tv shows and it's just not my thing. Luckily the people I wanted to meet I could chat to, I could take pictures at the desk with, no rush at all but that just isn't possible with everyone and what you need to remember is, most will want the signatures. For people like myself, the signature is nice but the real fun part is meeting the person. A lot of people are the opposite, those 8x10 photos with the silver sharpie on it mean a lot to people, seconds to write but for them it's wonderful, it's part of a collection or it's going on their wall, they're not like us, they're not going to have a chat and shake hands, they're paying money for the signature. That's why you get people on here getting all angry saying things like 'oh i'd be angry if someone chatting to a guest meant i couldnt get to meet them' but really that person is no different than you, the only difference is they have the balls to open their mouths rather shove a 8x10 photo under their nose and shuffle off 10 seconds later. Why care if someone chats? Why care if someone is lucky enough to get a photo at the table? But the truth is most people wont do it, they wont open their mouths, it's a true saying that if you don't ask you don't get so while some of you are more interested in posters and pictures and signatures, others are not worried about material things, they're not doing it too boost their ego and frame things and talk about collections, they're more interested in saying i got to meet this person and that person and we chatted about this and that and the truth is very rarely are you hurried through at these 'signing events'. I know I touched on it before that it's more of a 'feeling' people have. People in the UK at these types of events to act and do things a certain way but really there's nothing stopping anyone from chatting to a guest or asking for a picture at the table. It's just some are more confident than others. That's what it's really about.

Showmasters look at it business wise, Gillian took home literally thousands just on photoshoots alone, just to stand next to you. Easy money. Was she happy that weekend? Course she was, thousands to stand for an hour or so and then sit down the rest of the day. Of course she's happy, all guests should be happy. it's money focused. From a fan's perspective you need to realise that fact and accept that as a fact but also take into consideration that some of these people you're meeting, you might never see again so if you really have something to say, i'd be more inclined to say it and I'd do that with everyone even people like Kenny Baker who's everywhere. I'd look at every guest and think......this is my only chance to meet this person so I'm going to say what I need to say to them so that when I go home I've got no regrets, I get my stuff signed and if I'm lucky I get a picture but at least I said what i needed to say. Those that don't care about people like that and want everything rushed to get their signatures are by far in the minority and could probably do well starting up their own company doing these kinds of events, if you're really putting a piece of paper with a signature on it above and beyond someone having an interaction with an idol of theirs then you should be running the thing lol. And if you've got a lot of guests to get through or you're on a time limit then you need to manage your time better and get there early. No reason why anyone can't be first in the que on the days of these shows and people with big guest lists you know which guests are gonna be busy so plan it out or look at your long list and ask yourself, do i really need all these signatures, am i meeting this person because i like them or am i basically just meeting them for the sake of having their signature on my poster or whatever it is. People that get angry over these things tend to be people that don't think things through, they tend to make a right shambles of most things in their life and they are the types that will show up at an event like LFCC for one day and god forbid they don't get everything they want in one day or they arrive late or they run out of money or something happens.At some point, between them leaving home and arriving at the event, something will have gone wrong. Between getting from point A to point B something will have changed. The ones that have the best times are the ones that plan it out in advance and they know what they're doing and they have a good time and the reason they have a good time is because they know what the hell they're doing well before they do it.

But that's just my opinion and I know it's shared. No one's holding a gun to your head. No one is forcing you through those lines but I get it, you're trained to think that. It's not your fault but the fact of the matter is, if any of you wanted to say more to Gillian or any other guest at LFCC, the only person stopping you was you, never mind about anybody else especially the person behind you in the que, you know why? They're there for the same reason you are. Ok some are literally there just for the signature, they couldn't care less about GIllian, all they care about is their X Files poster but for the most part people really do want to meet her. Don't ruin it for yourselves. I really feel for you people because most of you are so loyal to these people and these tv shows and you're way of thinking is wrong. it's either you're thinking about the person behind you and trying to rush for them or that you're not allowed to talk. All you're entitled to is a signature, i'm not worthy enough to speak to this person etc and that's wrong. Some of you would be better to worry about being fans, be a fan, talk, enjoy it, go home. Don't worry about the business side of it or putting everyone elses needs first. Start putting yourself first and of course I'll get jumped on for that. Oh if they put themselves first I might not get a signature! Well so what. If you don't get a signature that means you weren't there early enough or didn't want to stay all day or you made a major blunder and completely mucked things up for yourself. And vampiric kitten, you're from Glasgow like me and I normally don't go against people in Scotland but you had no reason to nearly miss out on any autographs. If you planned things in advance you would have had plenty of time for everyone you wanted to meet. That's why they last a whole weekend because very few get it all done in one day. If you did miss out you only had yourself to blame, not a REAL fan that just so happened to have enough courage to speak up and ask for a picture.

• Like 2