Brilliant Event, just 1 problem i would like opinions on

Star Art

As title says, it was a brilliant show probably the best this year upto now.

My only problem was, we managed to get to see Karen Gillan first thing, 5 or so people in front of us and only 2 people behind us before the que started getting crazy.

im having my multi signed massive DW canvas signed that i painted myself and it has now over £500 worth of autographs collected on it since November last year.

canvassigned.jpg

So on Karen gillans board it stated no "POSED" photos, but for memories and such we like to get a pic of the Star signing our canvas, which doesnt take away from any time from the actor/actress as usually they are not even looking at the camera, they are just signing away.

We saw atleast 3 people take a photo of karen before we got to her and on our turn we got told abruptly NO PHOTOGRAPHY and got told to put our phone away by the lady we have ringed in green, i do not know if she works alongside showmasters or whatever but contradicting what the signed says about POSED and being choosy about who lets who take photos just ruins it. so now we have a photo log of everyone signing except Karen which just spoils our photo album of the canvas growing to glory, its a shame and something that could be worked on in future that the people stood with the larger calibre guests can stick to, which i might add the sign did not get changed when we left to NO PHOTOGRAPHY AT ALL, if its NO PHOTOGRAPHY/VIDEO then so be it, but if it says NO POSED PHOTOGRAPHY then by damn let us get proof she signed it.

what do you think? should i have been allowed a photo of Karen signing the canvas and would like showmasters thoughts

Edited by 1of2
Photo removal
  • Like 1

Hi,

You should have been defiantly allowed a quick pic, even more so as it was a very special item (which looks so cool by the way)! I have tried to post my review of the unfair service given by the Showmasters crew on Sat, but surprise surprise it keeps getting deleted. It seems they only want good feedback on this forum lol! I do agree with the 'no pose' option but a quick snap of Karen wouldn't have harmed anyone :)

i take it we are not allowed to know who this person is. well if the person gets covered up just like that then the issues wont be addressed in the future. So next time i will stand my ground, i would prefer not to make a scene, but its things like covering up the negative "power" that usually causes trouble :/

yes i do understand, but it was probably the only time i will ever meet Karen, i will never pay £25 to just get a false photo of her signing the canvas, its just wrong. I did have major plans for thwe canvas one day, maybe to auction off for children in need or something when i no longer have interest in keeping it, just no proof to it now on that particualrly "huge callibre" autograph

I have tried to post my review of the unfair service given by the Showmasters crew on Sat, but surprise surprise it keeps getting deleted. It seems they only want good feedback on this forum lol!
The reasons (yes, there were more than one) why your posts were removed was explained to you. Constructive criticism is fine. You however were repeatedly breaking the forum rules.

There is no need to bring this up again on the forum. If you have an issue with those reasons then please contact Showmasters directly, info@showmastersonline.com.

Thank you.

• Like 1

i take it we are not allowed to know who this person is. well if the person gets covered up just like that then the issues wont be addressed in the future. So next time i will stand my ground, i would prefer not to make a scene, but its things like covering up the negative "power" that usually causes trouble :/
I actually don't know who the person is myself. I have flagged it for SM's attention but officially they are shut until Wednesday.

I removed the photo from public viewing purely because it's not really fair to have it on display.

Based on what you said - being one of the first in the queue - I genuinely think it was just a misunderstanding, and people were still finding their feet as it were. Which is of no help to you I know. Again I can only apologise.

why do you need proof she signed it unless you intend to sell it? why you would want to sell such a lovely piece with such autos on is beyond me.

you seem to be lucky also, got a personilisation as it were of sorts form DT at EMS?

the signs SM use are no posed photos and no photography, so yes if no posed was up you should of been able to take a photo of her signing, and ive seen plenty of ppl with such photos from this event.

Yeah it sounds like they thought you were going to ask her to pose with the banner, which would come under no posed photos even though you or anyone else wasnt in it.

They must of just thought that and thought it would take too much time and slow her up, so asked you to put it away just incase. Also if they thought that, doing that before stopped you asking and making your experience a little worse by being told no. Nothing unfair or rude, just a misunderstanding.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88
  • Like 1

i want photo proof as im a professional artist and my portfolio looks too damn good with the catalogue proof, but if you did read my post one day when im old and grey, children in need could benefit from a lovely collected peice, and photo proof of everyone that signed it, would just make it that bit extra special now wouldnt it.

and to be fair BeatrixKiddo88, you werent there so unfair and rude it was, the manner spoken to us was abrupt and rude, especially when 2 younger girls in front did in fact have a "Posed" photo with Karen and nothing but a smile was given to them by the lady in question :/

Does sound like a bit of miscommunication or something. I take no posed photos to basically mean no over-the-desk with you photos but fine to take while sigining, although I usually ask the guest to just look at the camera which maybe is pushing the definition a little. I dunno, would you say asking to take a quick photo as or just after they've signed as posing? I've got some lovely pics that way which you can see in my gallery (link in sig) and did this with Karen (which I think is a really lovely photo) and no-one said anything. It took a mere moment although there wasn't really any queue when I went to her.

Agreed - consistency is only fair and should be stressed during crew training. Roxanne McKee chatted happily with me late on Sunday but when I asked politely for a photo of her, I was told by the crew member in no uncertain terms that it was prohibited "because" she had done a photo shoot earlier in the day.

Yards away, nice people who had also done photo shoots were beckoning visitors to their desks to get the photos they obviously wanted! It's worse because the whole point to me was to have taken the star's photo myself, not even to have been in the photo :-(

By the way, minutes later, the crew member was sitting alongside Roxanne having their photo taken by somebody else on their side of the table.

Edited by sdad

Asking the guest to look at the camera when you take a no posed photograph is asking them to pose I am afraid

In that case it seems I've been a bit bad on one or two occasions. Not looking to get into an argument, will be more considerate in future though no-one has ever said anything when I've asked. Just seen the photos with guest over desk type ones refused which seems to be what most people think of as being banned.

I shall stand corrected and my sincere apologies to anyone I've held up or offended by my actions.

Agreed - consistency is only fair and should be stressed during crew training. Roxanne McKee chatted happily with me late on Sunday but when I asked politely for a photo of her, I was told by the crew member in no uncertain terms that it was prohibited "because" she had done a photo shoot earlier in the day.

Well Roxanne had a sign behind her saying no photos or video. So while she was really nice to talk to, I always check for these and I would never have even asked. This was first thing in the morning just after she turned up. Initially there was no sign but I was only a few people back in her queue and it quickly appeared as the first few people went to meet her. No problem.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Showmasters needs to clarify what types or photos are/aren't allowed. Put it in black and white with definitions and get the crew to enforce it properly (also politely, we don't need some guy bellowing out like a drill sergeant that no photos are allowed) and reasonable people won't get the hump. Simples.

I don't bother any of the guests for any photos when they are signing so I really have no dog in this fight. Well, except when TonyTheCylon tricks me into it.

This just seems silly. I've been told by crew on numerous occassions that posed photos are you with the guest and photos can be taken of them at the desk and in the queue. If the no photos sign appears its no photos at all of the guest.

Asking the guest to look at the camera when you take a no posed photograph is asking them to pose I am afraid

In that case it seems I've been a bit bad on one or two occasions. Not looking to get into an argument, will be more considerate in future though no-one has ever said anything when I've asked. Just seen the photos with guest over desk type ones refused which seems to be what most people think of as being banned.

I shall stand corrected and my sincere apologies to anyone I've held up or offended by my actions.

hmm, i must admit, a full posed photo is of you and the guest smiling at the camera etc, and that takes time to do, quite often guests will see you raise the camera and look up and smile while they are signing which gives you a lovely photo. If what you ask them to do takes time away from their signing then I believe that is what "no posed photographs" is trying to avoid.

I have never asked them to look up or anything if I have taken a photograph, I have always assumed (my apologies, yes, "assumed") that would be asking them to pose and I just accept that I try and get the best pic I can, but Too Tall could clarify this. I have never told an attendee to not tell someone to look up so I would be interested in confirmation on that too. I don't think you have a great deal to apologise for, it is not like you asked someone to do "jazz hands" or something

Edited by Rhianydd

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Showmasters needs to clarify what types or photos are/aren't allowed. Put it in black and white with definitions and get the crew to enforce it properly (also politely, we don't need some guy bellowing out like a drill sergeant that no photos are allowed) and reasonable people won't get the hump. Simples.

There are different signs. One saying "no posed photos" (meaning snapping when signing is okay) and one saying "no photos" - meaning no photos at all.

Seeing Karen had a no posed photos sign up a snap while signing should not have been a problem.

Could have been a misunderstanding as it's been said.. We're all human and mistakes can happen. Could also have happened that the decision had (unfortunately for the poster) been made that no photos at all were allowed at that point and the sign was not updated yet - sometimes that takes a moment because someone has to run for a pen or a new sign.

hmm, i must admit, a full posed photo is of you and the guest smiling at the camera etc, and that takes time to do, quite often guests will see you raise the camera and look up and smile while they are signing which gives you a lovely photo. If what you ask them to do takes time away from their signing then I believe that is what "no posed photographs" is trying to avoid.

I have never asked them to look up or anything if I have taken a photograph, I have always assumed (my apologies, yes, "assumed") that would be asking them to pose and I just accept that I try and get the best pic I can, but Too Tall could clarify this. I have never told an attendee to not tell someone to look up so I would be interested in confirmation on that too. I don't think you have a great deal to apologise for, it is not like you asked someone to do "jazz hands" or something

I agree with Rhi on that. I remember how mortified I was when I was trying to take a picture of Anthony Head signing and he looked up and smiled at the camera just when I pressed the button. It's partly a natural reaction to look up I think. ;)

This is one problem touched on in the Feedback topic, not specifically "posed" photo graphs but guests with "no photos or videos" signs...

I must admit that I always thought that "No posed phototgraphs" meant no photos of you and the guest together over the table etc but you could take photos of them signing and ask for a photo of them with the autograph and "No photographs or videos" meant none whatsoever, even of the guest singing the item.

I've never asked a guest for a photo of them with the item, I usually just snap away while they are signing (after I've ask them if they mind). The only exception was Jewel Staite at LFCC (I think) a couple of years ago, there was no sign behind her (I always check) and asked for a picture with her, she apologised and said she wasn't allowed because she was having a photoshoot later but she asked if I wanted to take a photo with her and the autograph instead.

So yes, I think there was a misunderstanding, in your case and perhaps it was handled a bit poorly.

For me this weekend the lack of enforcing at the "no photos or videos" guests was shocking. I ALWAYS look for signs and respect them. However, for a couple of the no photos guests (Tom Baker and Lena Heady) there were people throughout the entire line taking photos and no-one told them to stop once. I don't get my camera out when guests have these signs, so why should people disobeying the rules get photos I dont?

I think the rules need to be made clearer for everyone, crew and attendees. I also think that perhaps the people at the table (taking the money, whether it be the guest assistant or even the person you pay before you join the line, for the biger guests) should tell everyone what is and isn't allowed. "No posed photos" - no pictures of you with the guest, but them signing in fine. "no photos" - no photos at all, so please put your camera away.

I have praise for the crew member in Sean Astin's queue he came down the line and told that all photos were fine as long as the flash was off before we got to Sean. (And there was a sign up saying "No Flash photography"

I was very in the que for Karen and despite observing the no posed pics noticed I took plenty pics of her signing stuff for people in front of me. I got about 6 good images. I wasnt aware I wasnt allowed to.

That's different to a posed picture. Posed pictures need setup time, and delay the queue, so quick snaps are usually (but not always) allowed.

It's a shame you couldn't get a photo of Karen. I managed to get one of her posing for my camera for my friend.

I also had similar problems with guests, I was sticking to the rules of 'No posed photos' but other people were getting photos of and with some guests. Also some guests had no FLASH photography signs up and even without my flash on I was told no photos.