Brilliant Event, just 1 problem i would like opinions on

Star Art

Showmasters have stated in the past that "photo warnings" are decided by the guests. This explains why sometimes people are allowed to take pictures or even have posed photos and a few hours later (because the guest is busier or tired, etc.) they are not. It is not fair but this is it, it happened to me several times, in lucky and unlucky terms. I did not have any problems with Karen as a crewmember himself told me we were allowed to take pictures of her signing; Star Art, you must have been particularly unlucky in that moment and I understand your frustration, we have all been there (and we will still be)... Congatulations for your artwork, by the way. Lots of people read the forum, it might be possible that someone else who was behind you has taken a picture.

It's a shame you couldn't get a photo of Karen. I managed to get one of her posing for my camera for my friend.

I also had similar problems with guests, I was sticking to the rules of 'No posed photos' but other people were getting photos of and with some guests. Also some guests had no FLASH photography signs up and even without my flash on I was told no photos.

I've also sometimes found the "no flash photography" sign means no photograohy full stop. That's fine, I try to abide by the rules so as not to upset the guest but as I never use flash anyway and make a point of saying so it's a little disappointing when you're told it actually means no photographs at all. That didn't happen this weekend btw before anyone asks and when I do see a signing saying no flash now, I generally just don't bother asking at all anyway to save anyone being put in an awkward situation, especially if it's a guest I have a proper shoot with as well.

I do however think videoing should be watched out for. All the signs saids no videoing and I thought it was also banned in talks usually (didn't go to any this weekend so no idea if this was said but it usually is) but a quick search on various video sites shows loads of videos of people meeting guests (including Karen) and of the talks - not just from this but all SM events.

It really does get me angry when people blatently flout the rules like that and could potentially ruin things for the rest of us. Nearly had to say something myself in Lena's queue late on Sunday as the guys a bit in front of me had their phones on camera/video mode but were pretending to be on a call or texting to hide it and there was a clear sign behind her saying no photos or video. Was worried it would cause a problem and possibly put her in a bad mood when I went up. There wasn't anyone around to mention it to though so not sure what happened but she was lovely when I went up and I made sure my camera was in my bag.

Edited by Rockstar6662

I've also sometimes found the "no flash photography" sign means no photograohy full stop. That's fine, I try to abide by the rules so as not to upset the guest but as I never use flash anyway and make a point of saying so it's a little disappointing when you're told it actually means no photographs at all. That didn't happen this weekend btw before anyone asks and when I do see a signing saying no flash now, I generally just don't bother asking at all anyway to save anyone being put in an awkward situation, especially if it's a guest I have a proper shoot with as well.

Unfortunately not everyone is as honest as you - and here we come to the "keeping to rules" part again. You won't believe how many flashes "accidentally" go off when a guest has a "no flash photography" sign up. No doubt some of these accidents are legitimate, but some will just leave the flash on on purpose to ensure the picture comes out.

Unfortunately not everyone is as honest as you - and here we come to the "keeping to rules" part again. You won't believe how many flashes "accidentally" go off when a guest has a "no flash photography" sign up. No doubt some of these accidents are legitimate, but some will just leave the flash on on purpose to ensure the picture comes out.

I'm sure there are geuine accidents and there are no easy solutions, I do appreciate that also. You can't have eyes everywhere as there's the queues to manage, the guests to look after etc etc. But I do take no flash photos to mean it's ok to take them without but sometimes that's not been what's meant.

Some people just push the boundaries or break the rules, I guess I just play it safe and get what I can when it seems reasonable to ask or where it's clear it's ok.

The video thing does bug me though when you see so many uploaded on the net and the signs are clear but then I know from my own job people just don't read what's in front of them a lot of the time and think as they've paid to meet someone they deserve to get whatever they want or feel clever about abusing the rules.

Just wanted to highlight it's happening (as I'm sure everyone knows already) as I'd hate there to be a complete ban on everything as an overreaction to the actions of a few.

my only problem was the location, ive been to many of the shows at the MK centre but this was the first one id been to at the foot ground,. Defo not designed for such large amounts of people to be walking aroud in the thin outskirts. The room with the tables was too busy to even move let along walk around and the wind made the bits outside freezing cold. Poor tim witherspoon said he was freezing cold when i met him. Wish id of bought him a hot chocolate or something now hehe. I had problems with the london ones with the terrible dry heat but at least theres space there. Still never understand why they even bother with VTs, Half the time the queues are empty for say 0-500 when loads of ppl will be wandering around (making the crowded table prlbmes worse) simply coz they have number 850 VT. While the actual queue is almost empty. And BARRIERS. PUT SOME BARRIERS UP!!!! The queue from michael dorn/ nichelle nicols was facing BOTH directions as well as the usual mass of ppl standing nearby triyng to get a glimpse as well as ppl just trying to get thru. Barriers for the queues with a SM staff member The END!

As someone who has crewed for three years now I have NEVER had a problem with guests not understanding things, and maybe someone more senior than me can clarify this but:

NO PHOTOS/VIDEO RECORDING: Means that full stop, your camera should be off when you approach them and tbf its cheeky to take them from afar

NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY: Photography is okay but no flashes

NO POSED PHOTOS: Means no over the desk or specifically asking for a pose but snapping away is okay....

it seems pretty straight forward to me, if there's ever a mistake it's one done with miscommuncation. For example I know the GA with Roxanne and she's NOTHING if not professional, I was also only one guest away with her on Sunday and the sign was added within minutes of her being there. You may have seen the GA have a photo with the guest because sometimes the guest thinks its a nice way to say thanks for your help some times they even are the ones to ask like Phil LeMar did with several crew members including myself.

As someone who has crewed for three years now I have NEVER had a problem with guests not understanding things, and maybe someone more senior than me can clarify this but:

NO PHOTOS/VIDEO RECORDING: Means that full stop, your camera should be off when you approach them and tbf its cheeky to take them from afar

NO POSED PHOTOS: Means no over the desk or specifically asking for a pose but snapping away is okay....

it seems pretty straight forward to me, if there's ever a mistake it's one done with miscommuncation. For example I know the GA with Roxanne and she's NOTHING if not professional, I was also only one guest away with her on Sunday and the sign was added within minutes of her being there. You may have seen the GA have a photo with the guest because sometimes the guest thinks its a nice way to say thanks for your help some times they even are the ones to ask like Phil LeMar did with several crew members including myself.

As someone who has been attending these events for 7 years I have NEVER seen these clarified. However I don't often frequent the forums (I lurk even when I do) or take photos so maybe there are gaps in my knowledge. However considering other long term attendees are also a bit confused I'm guessing not. If those are Showmaster's official definitions then all 3 are being enforced completely inconsistently. If you claim otherwise then you are, in so many words, calling the posters here idiots and/or liars.

What I am seeing here and in the feedback thread is a crew member defence action. You all know you are going to cop some flack (or at least you should) because you haven't been doing your jobs (the crew collectively not you specifically before you get you panties in a bunch) so you are closing ranks and deflecting blame back on to the customers.

GA = what please?

OK, I may have missed the sign with Roxanne (looking at the lady, not the wall) but what was the reason for it? I was told "because she had done a photoshoot earlier". That however makes no sense. Firstly, other guests had done photoshoots and were happily doing anything you liked at the table. Secondly, I was at the show all day on Saturday, so had no energy to attend until late on Sunday - long after the photoshoots had been done. I seriously doubt that there would be a single paying customer at the shoot who would complain about me taking a photo (without me in it) at 4.30 on Sunday. The photoshoot for people in the studio and the over-the-table snap of an actress are very different things. I think there must have been a different reason which I would accept if it were told honestly.

As someone who has been attending these events for 7 years I have NEVER seen these clarified. However I don't often frequent the forums (I lurk even when I do) or take photos so maybe there are gaps in my knowledge. However considering other long term attendees are also a bit confused I'm guessing not. If those are Showmaster's official definitions then all 3 are being enforced completely inconsistently. If you claim otherwise then you are, in so many words, calling the posters here idiots and/or liars.

What I am seeing here and in the feedback thread is a crew member defence action. You all know you are going to cop some flack (or at least you should) because you haven't been doing your jobs (the crew collectively not you specifically before you get you panties in a bunch) so you are closing ranks and deflecting blame back on to the customers.

I don't see that happening myself...I been an attendee at SM events for a while and I got the just of those three definitions from the start.. I read the sign and respect what the sign says...

I only started crewing this weekend and when I was in my role I had to ask people not to take pictures of the guest I was managing a queue for on sunday and people respected that.. But I had to ask loads of people who weren't in the queue and those who read the signs to stop taking photos from afar..

If the signs are up then whatever is said on them should be respected and I'm not saying this as crew but as an attendee of many years as well.

And the end of the day crew are human and not perfect... How do u know that the person managing that q was not a new person who only started that morning... They maybe feeling nervous and lacking a bit of confidence.

There no need to get aggressive about it...

The one way to sort this is to say no photos at all and enforce it. It might upset some people but at least everyone will be treated the same.

Or you could go down the route often used in the USA or at proper weekend conventions - no photos in signing room.

Or if you want a table photo, then you pay for it.

But i think many actors enjoy meeting fans and they appreciate that having a quick photo on meeting them is a perfect memory of the meet & greet.

The one way to sort this is to say no photos at all and enforce it. It might upset some people but at least everyone will be treated the same.

Or you could go down the route often used in the USA or at proper weekend conventions - no photos in signing room.

Not a bad idea. Does it work in USA though?

No photography at all can be because a guest isn't feeling their

Best and being constantly photographed for an entire day may be too much for them whereas they can cope with their

Photoshoot

If a guest had requested no photographs then we have to respect that

I agree with you. I remember Gates McFadden last year. She wasn't very well and the last thing she wanted was people snapping cameras in her face. We were very lucky to have her take part in a proper photoshoot.

Very unlikely to ever happen. Purely because Jason is a firm believer in desk photos.
  • Like 2

The times i've seen it, yes it works.

For example, you could meet say Wil Wheaton who might charge say $20 for an autograph, $15 for a photo or $25 for both.

It also means that people who just want a photo & are not an autograph hunter can have a quick chat to the guest, pay them their 'photo fee' and get what they want...which is something that doesn;t happen in most photoshoots. Also beacuse you are paying fo rthe table picture, the guest will make a point of standing up for a proper pose rather than the often seen lean over desk issue.

Some might say this wouldn;t work due to being busy, but it does.

The times i've seen it, yes it works.

For example, you could meet say Wil Wheaton who might charge say $20 for an autograph, $15 for a photo or $25 for both.

It also means that people who just want a photo & are not an autograph hunter can have a quick chat to the guest, pay them their 'photo fee' and get what they want...which is something that doesn;t happen in most photoshoots. Also beacuse you are paying fo rthe table picture, the guest will make a point of standing up for a proper pose rather than the often seen lean over desk issue.

Some might say this wouldn;t work due to being busy, but it does.

Surely a system like this is worth thinking about. I remember seeing something similar at a different event where a guest would only allow a photo if you paid £1 to his charity.

I really do not think this is the case nor do I appreciate the way you're speaking to me, for starters I'm a woman and don't really come across men talking to me like this a lot ala "don't get your panties in a bunch" I'm also not calling anyone an idiot or a liar and the two words have very different connotations so I fail to see how they're an and/or option.....anyway that is not at all the case was just explaining what the different posters mean because they're quite self explanatory to me but human beings make mistakes and clearly there has been mis-communication somewhere, for the most of it I dont see people not understanding WHAT the posters mean just why they're in place....and it comes down to agent/guest decisions and queuing times. SM ALWAYS advocate over the desks shots where viable

• Like 1

Surely a system like this is worth thinking about. I remember seeing something similar at a different event where a guest would only allow a photo if you paid £1 to his charity.

Every system has it's plus and minus points, seems to work well at big US events but us English are a different bunch!

I really do not think this is the case nor do I appreciate the way you're speaking to me, for starters I'm a woman and don't really come across men talking to me like this a lot ala "don't get your panties in a bunch"

This I will apologise for. I honestly thought you were a man and I now understand I got the wrong impression from your avatar. Which is frankly no excuse anyway. It was deeply inappropriate turn of phrase and I apologise completely. It was not my intention to talk down to you because of your gender. I hope you accept this apology because it is sincere but I understand if you don't wish to hear it.

Leigh

This I will apologise for. I honestly thought you were a man and I now understand I got the wrong impression from your avatar. Which is frankly no excuse anyway. It was deeply inappropriate turn of phrase and I apologise completely. It was not my intention to talk down to you because of your gender. I hope you accept this apology because it is sincere but I understand if you don't wish to hear it.

Leigh

No I very much appreciate it! Thank you :)

Leigh

No I very much appreciate it! Thank you :)

Feel free to smack me upside the head if you ever see me at an event. I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the nervous locking chap avoid the crew. Again, apologies for my behaviour. I'll now go watch some TV before I get myself in more trouble.