No big guests for C5 and MK

Having experienced LFACC and C4, it has convinced me that the MK Centre is just not big enough to have the quality of guests that Showmasters are now able to attract.

I would be in favour in the future of having the major names only at the LFACC where there is a contained venue, loads of space, and no Saturday shoppers and gawpers.

The LFACC had a much better vibe (didn't think I would be saying that ), everyone there was there because they were real fans of these events and this with the better organisation helped it to be a really big success.

There is still a place for the MK centre, but for it to work it should revert back to the level of guests at earlier Collectormanias, or to keep in the area and still have big guests move to the NEC.

I found that it was too expensive to go to London and the trains were not eary enough, and the hotels too expensive, so I couldn't go even thogh there were 12 people I wanted to meet, so Im hoping at least a few of them will go to future Colectormania events. I would be very disapointed, if they did not come.

by all means move the comic convention to a more accesable location (eg NEC), and then maybe the point of resricting guests is a more fesable idea.

:D

Edited by Silent Bob (silent? Me?)

hmm yes i'd prefer to go to collectormania's but i think Elijah, Orli or Viggo should be in a pay to get in setting

I agree with that, or at least out the way of the gawpers.... in a closed in section or something.

Maybe something like santers grotto...hehehehehehehe for that we need Gandalf the white..

London was too expensive for me too! I couldnt go either. I depend on Collectormania for the big guests! I agree that it should be fans only and not just shoppers having a nose but how it would work i dont know!!

Thank u Nell..I'm glad I'm not the only one..I am a bit incensed by the whole suggestion that the guests go to LFCC not everyone can afford to go to every meet...some of us have everyday lives which demand bills to be paid and children to be fed..MK is a twice yearly luxury I treat myself to away from being a disabled mum..take that away..and what am I left with!

Milton Keynes.

A member of the Collectormania crew said that they were queing at the Elijah event from 6pm the previous day! We arrived on the day of the event at 8:30am - got our tickets - and finally met Elijah at 5pm that evening. By that time he was not having photos taken with him or personalising any autographs.

The guest lists for Collectormania are awesome - but the shopping mall location sucks big time. As soon as the dates are announced, we book a couple of nights stay at a local hotel. Staying in Milton Keynes over the weekend is the only way we can get all the autographs we want and get to see the talks and screenings - which are truly wonderful experiences. Sean Astin and Elijah Wood performed what amounted to a 1 hour 2-man show. Once released from the autograph conveyor belt, they exploded with hilarious results. At another screening we were privileged to have Andy Serkis perform the entire Smeagol/Gollum debate in front of a completely entranced audience. We gave him a standing ovation and I was nearly in tears - such was the joy of witnessing a true genius at work.

LFCC.

Although the same virtual queing system is used, the layout of the autograph tables is much better and so it feels more organised. Staying at the hotel we met John Rhys Davies in the lift, Billy Boyd in a revolving door, and shared the restaurant with Adam West sitting behind us and Claudia Christian on the table beside us. Seeing Dr. Eldon Tyrell (Joe Turkel) heading over to get his pudding was a surreal experience!

I agree, the big names generally have big schedules, if SM can get the likes of Elija for Collectormaina (despite it's location) they should go for it. It's how they manage fans meeting those guests at the event which needs to be thought about.

I've never been to the cinema that's at MK which I think is called the 'Big Screen' couldn't show masters hire that for the whole day, hold the signings for the big names there and charge an entrance fee? Just a thought.

• Showmasters Admin

I just want people to be reassured that we have no plans to move, close, or downsize Collectormania. As I said in another thread, Collectormania is unique in the world, and we are committed to making it bigger and better, with a high standard of guests.

There are things that need to be changed, and part of the reason people enjoyed LFACC so much was due to certain changes we implemented based on C4. There is plenty of room for Collectormania and LFACC to co-exist in harmony, with both becoming bigger and better every time!

Mark :D

I like the MK events, most of the time. Like a lot of people I think having big names there just attracts too many gawpers who stand around in really stupid places so that you can't even get to the queues to join them!

However, a big name to one person, might not be a big name to another person, but at the same time if SM ever got certain guests to attend, I think the only way it would work would be to have it in a venue that is not open to just everyone for free - names I'm thinking of would be:

Patrick Stewart

Sir Ian McKellern

Hugh Jackman

Viggo Mortensen

Liv Tyler

Cate Blanchett

Johnny Depp

Orlando Bloom

Etc

Most of the people I am thinking of would be really top tv actors/actresses and/or film people - tv would be people such as:

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Kate Mulgrew

Jonathan Frakes

James Marsters

Richard Dean Anderson (yeah right!)

Alyson Hannigan

Eliza Dushka

Etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I have managed to see Robert Englund, Rutger Hauer and Ray Parks - all of whom have starred in big films, and to me are therefore big names. At the weekend I met Brent Spiner and LeVar Burton, and whilst their queues at Wembley did not seem excessive, I think may well be at MK.

I think that there will always be a list of guest that if SM ever tried to attract them, and I think that some of the names on the above lists are possibilities, then the majority of people would know that most fans would go absolutely mad, and with shoppers standing around as well, it would get absolutely ridiculous. I am sure that SM have certain names that they are trying to invite, but are trying to sort out which venue would be appropriate for those guests, that's if they are available for both sets of dates.

London may not be the best venue for everyone, but neither might MK, so some people will always be disappointed in not being able to see certain celebrities.

Someone said that not everyone can attend certain venues as they have lives to lead, which is very true - for everyone, there are always personal circumstances that will 'interfere' with fun events such as these.

It's getting the right balance at each event. For me, names such as Gates McFadden, Denise Crosby, Corin Nemec, Robert Picardo are big names in tv that I'm hoping to get autographs from (to name a few) and I believe that they are fine at their current venue, but if the names go up from there eg Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill - who would no doubt please many of the Star Wars fans, whilst no longer 'A' list actors, they are still big names and perhaps not ideally suited to MK.

I've no doubt rambled for too long, and will more than likely have many people disagreeing with my views, but hey that's life!

Elaine :unsure:

As I said in another topic if you can get the guests then get them. There not always free for more then one event a year so, though MK may not seem for some poeple to be the right place for big named guests I have to say again, if there only availabe once a year then for examble if there only aavilable for c4 like EW and you waited till LFCC to get him purly casue its a better venue then everyone could have missed seeing Elijah if you get what Im trying to say.

whisper softly to SM Bashir/Alexander Siddig for c6 or better still LF&CC

I just want people to be reassured that we have no plans to move, close, or downsize Collectormania. As I said in another thread, Collectormania is unique in the world, and we are committed to making it bigger and better, with a high standard of guests.

There are things that need to be changed, and part of the reason people enjoyed LFACC so much was due to certain changes we implemented based on C4. There is plenty of room for Collectormania and LFACC to co-exist in harmony, with both becoming bigger and better every time!

Mark :P

im glad to hear that ! wherever you attend a convention its going to be a bit crazy ! . its free which is ace to me , and with the ticket queing thing at least you can browse aroiund the shops in between or get some food,and not be hanging around waiting and starving to death at the same time. (like i did at a con in london last june ! Ahem) :P

This thread wasn't a debate between LFACC and Collectormania, it was just whether there was a more suitable venue for Collectormania in the future due to the restrictions of the size of the MK centre and the additional problems that shoppers create and people who just stand there gawping who have no intention of queueing to see any of the guests but get in the way of the true fans who do actually want to see them, meet them, get an auto and a photo.

Showmasters have said they are sticking with the MK Centre, but it will be a different type of show, they took on board a lot of concerns around queueing and ticketing at C4 and brought those into play at the LFACC which greatly improved things and I am sure will look to improve these again at C5 and onwards.

I had personally enjoyed previous Collectormanias , because it did have a different vibe, however, there was just way too much anger, angst, stress at C4 for all concerned. LFACC showed with a different venue, better organisation and still big guests you can have a great atmosphere comparable if not better than the MK Centre.

Whilst I can imagine some of the similar problems arising again if Elijah was to be announced for C5, I understand that for the people that met him they had a great experience, but surely the aim of this event is to try and make everyone satisfied that attends an event , in as much as this is realistically possible.

Unless the MK Centre is suddenly extended it will always have these problems with big guests, which is why I favour as many other posters do the Elijah type guests are kept for Wembley , unless the only time they are able to come over is the dates of Collectormania. Collectormania and the LFACC are shows which attract attendees not just from their local area, but from the whole of the country and beyond.

Don't forget Milton Keynes is equally as far away for some people to get to as well.

Whilst better organisation at the MK Centre would improve things, there a number of things that are out of the control of Showmasters, namely the public who are just there shopping and also the array of people who basically just stand around getting in the way. Also the MK Centre is of a limited size which is also a restriction.

This doesn't mean there can't be a show in the MK Centre nor that there should be any less guests, just that logic says it would be better to have the larger Elijah type guests at the bigger venue where Showmasters can control the situation better.

However, I agree that if these guests can only make the MK Centre dates, it is better to have them here than not at all.

I just think it is common sense to focus more on these guests being at the LFACC in the future.

this is what I wrote in the other topic:

London is not accessable for EVERYONE, you can't say that SM should only get "big stars" for LFACC, that wouldn't be fair now would it? what if you people argueing for this had the tables turned? how would YOU feel?

it is true from my experience of c4 that shoppers do get in the way but from what I understand, this hasn't been a problem in the past. I think it is safe to say that the crowds would not be so big, this was mainly cause of Hobbits and Elijah, there shouldn't be as many "lookers on" this time.

sah xx

I will also say that for me personally as I am now living at Cardiff University Hospital, London is easier for me to get to that MK but I stand by what I said in my previous post:

it is unfair to have only "big names" at one event, which ever one it is. I also agree with what Elainec said about everyone having a different opinion of what "big names" are.

the experince of c4 is what everyone is basing their negative comments about MK on. I did not have the privlidge to attend any of the previous CM events but no one has disagreed that C1, 2 and 3 ran smoothly without problems. it was Elijah/hobbits that drew the crowds in October, I seriously don't see that being repeated for this upcoming event. they had andy, billy and JRD at c3 and there were no probs then. these to me are "big name guests" and I was privlidged to spend a minute with them at LFACC and with andy at c4.

GG - even though you might not have intended this thread to be a debate about MK and London, it has become one because when you say "no big guests for c5 and MK", the automatic though is that you think they should be at LFACC. if this is not what you meant then you might want to consider having a more specific topic title next time! :angel:

sah xx

O.K. If I think back to previous Collectormania's. None drew quite the crowds of C4, but there was still an element of problems with space.

If I remember correctly Tom Felton drew a fair crowd of people in that area which caused difficulties for those people actually trying to see him.

I have taken on board some of the threads put forward and I agree that if the MK centre dates are the only ones that Elijah could make in the future, then I would rather he was there , than not at all.

What I am saying is that it is just common sense to put these guests at the LFACC because you have the greater space and control over the venue. Sure they would attract a big crowd wherever, but the problem is just compounded at MK because you have a lot of shoppers just going about their business who have no interest in the guests and you have other people in the centre who will block or stand in the way of people who are genuinely trying to see the guests.

O.K. it is my personal opinion, but I liked the LFACC better than C4, but I just felt everyone there was more chilled, there was a better vibe , and the venue contributed to this. So I can see that a similar venue as the NEC could produce similar results.

Having said all that, Showmasters have already said they want to continue with the MK Centre but that it will be a different kind of show in the future. I am not sure what this means, only they can answer that.

I will always stick by MK as the venue, big stars or no. I still remember coming by the show one day, not even knowing it was on, and saying "Wow! Its just like those conventions I've wanted to attend all my life. Except I can afford to attend this one!!" :D

Anyhow, about the stars, If you take all the "big name" stars off to London, then surely thats being prejudiced against some actors? I mean, who's to say the stars won't read this forum and say "What? You mean I've been asked to go to MK but not London? Cheeky swines!". It kind of pushes actors into the category of "Big stars" and "partial stars", and I don't think anyone here wants to do that.