No other way to say this.....

o.O What happened?

Going through the motions of the photoshoot as normal, some blokes steps up for his turn, starts talking to Brent. All of a sudden he reaches under his sweater and pulls a Romulan Dagger....security moved in a bit, Brent looked shocked/scared before talking to the man, who eventually asked Brent to hold it during the photo. He then took back the dagger and left. Security followed after him, Brent was noticeably shaken.

Note a nice thing to witness. In this instance the bloke was harmless, but it could have been so different....don't think SM could have done much to prevent it, but I hope the man was dealt with somehow!

I hope it doesn't affect tomorrows shoot. Some people really don't think. What if he'd decided he didn't want to continue or wanted the Sunday one cancelled just in case? Fingers crossed it won't change how he interacts with us tomorrow.

Whilst I completely understand that some people may have an interest in weaponry featured in TV shows, I must admit I was more than a little surprised to see stalls selling swords and guns. Can't you be arrested for carting things like this around in public?

This particular aspect of TV show fandom interest, I personally find quite scary.

The most worrying thing is that he concealed it (according to the eyewitness). Not sure if there is a rule against attendees taking replica weaponry into the show let alone the photo sessions.

I wasn't there but I imagine my heart would have sunk a few inches if I saw it happen!

At all the SM events I've been to in the past (including last year's LFCC), attendees - particularly cosplayers - have always been pretty good to check before entering the shoot area that they can take props in with them (either that or crew have checked before the start of the session if there is a rule to enforce). I don't know if it was because of the size/busyness of the event, the new crew members, people just not thinking or what, but I definitely did notice, certainly in the shoots I had, quite a few people taking in stuff without checking or getting snappy with crew when the person handling personal belongings queried why the customer hadn't handled the item over....I don't want to complain about that, but in this case with Brent it was a concealed weapon and there was no warning. Having a laugh is one thing, but sometimes you can go too far. I hope it doesn't affect any other photo sessions Mr Spiner does.

Whilst I completely understand that some people may have an interest in weaponry featured in TV shows, I must admit I was more than a little surprised to see stalls selling swords and guns. Can't you be arrested for carting things like this around in public?

There are certain rules for those sales stalls. A stall owner explained them to me, but honestly I can't remember anymore.

You can definitely get in trouble for wearing realistic weaponry in public though, yes.

The most worrying thing is that he concealed it (according to the eyewitness). Not sure if there is a rule against attendees taking replica weaponry into the show let alone the photo sessions.

If you take anything tell the crew and show them, yes. I have seen a couple of guests request no weapons to be brought in.

A little off-topic, but in my photo shoot with Mark Sheppard he politely declined himself using any props. It was only the second shoot I'd ever done and wasn't really expecting that condition, but we improvised and got a great photo. This was with (obviously) toy guns mind, so I can understand that a guest could freak out with a real weapon.

I think the lesson to be learned is to check with staff or, if possible, the guest themself prior to the shoot to see if they have any particular conditions.

we were searched on the way into the building, my fiance had his guitar bag with him with 2 light sabers in, the Earls court security on the door politely asked if he could see the contents of the bag and said they were fine. I guess with Christopher Lambert present maybe they thought people would be bringing in highlander replica swords so i totally understand why they wanted to check. Neil was also at an event a few years ago where somebody tried to get Eliza Dushku to sign a replica "faith" dagger, they were promptly jumped on by security and removed/barred from the building. The attendee in question didn`t even have it hidden, it was in a bag, boxed, and he produced it at the table. I hope security dealt with romulan dagger guy in a similar way! what a stupid thing to do!

Not sure if there is a rule against attendees taking replica weaponry into the show let alone the photo sessions.

I brought a sword to be signed by Christopher Lambert but only after phoning the week before to find out if there were any restrictions on what could be brought to the show.

It was kept in the scabbard, in a cardboard box all day except for the few seconds when he was signing it. I even handed it over when i had the photoshoot with him.

It's true you get a few idiots but most people are very responsible.

I know that some guests have refused to sign weaponry items , particularly Eliza Dushku & Roxann Dawson.

The stalls can sell swords etc but must have proof that the person buying them is over 18.

Carrying the items around in public is a big no no , still boxed and then a cover over the box as well is best.

I have several movie\TV themed swords and daggers in my flat,and the one time some were stolen when I was broken into.I managed to get the items back and when they were returned by the police they said nothing about my ownership of them or any way to store them to prevent them being stolen again.

I know that some guests have refused to sign weaponry items , particularly Eliza Dushku & Roxann Dawson.

Oh no :wub: I had hoped Roxann Dawson would sign my Bat'leth if she ever came over :D