We need more crew for this years event

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

thats right we need more helpers to crew the events we run .

this year we have more crew than ever before and the shows worked well but the shows are getting even bigger and we need more fans to take the plunge and step over to making the events happen .

so if you want to get to know new friends and meet a fun bunch of good people then why not give it a go , whats the worst that could happen ??? :D

lots of people help make the events work you get to see the show for the other side .

if you are interested then we would love to hear from you

just email us at <crew@showmastersonline.com>

and Mr Too Tall will send you out the form

i hope to see some of you in the morning of the events for the first time soon

and if you have crewed before why not tell some of the people on here what it is like , as long as its all nice and you say we are all fluffy :angel:

jason :thumbup:

I would love to crew, it's something I've always wondered about but never done before.

I was just wondering, if I did apply, I would only be able to do one day. Is there anywhere I could leave my bag while crewing as I wouldn't be staying overnight in a hotel?

And is it possible to crew without staying overnight considering travel to and from the event, ie: What hours do you usually work?

• Moderators

I would love to crew, it's something I've always wondered about but never done before.

I was just wondering, if I did apply, I would only be able to do one day. Is there anywhere I could leave my bag while crewing as I wouldn't be staying overnight in a hotel?

And is it possible to crew without staying overnight considering travel to and from the event, ie: What hours do you usually work?

Hours are usually along the lines of 7am-7pm - if you can get there for that time without staying overnight then they don't have a problem with that. There have been places to leave bags the times I've crewed too.

My general crewing experience so far: you come away from the event exhausted, aching, and dying to do it all over again!

Hours are usually along the lines of 7am-7pm - if you can get there for that time without staying overnight then they don't have a problem with that. There have been places to leave bags the times I've crewed too.

My general crewing experience so far: you come away from the event exhausted, aching, and dying to do it all over again!

That sounds great. Thank you! I'm going to see if I can get there for the morning, I'm only just over an hour away from London but public transport is never the best in the mornings :P

Edited by Phenix

That sounds great. Thank you! I'm going to see if I can get there for the morning, I'm only just over an hour away from London but public transport is never the best in the mornings :P

On the weekend of the show, London Transport is planning major maintance works on the tubes. That is why i am thinking of driving to the show and parking near by.

I would love to be able to tell you all that crewing's rubbish and you'd never like it. Why do I want to tell you that? So there's less crew and I'm more likely to get picked for more events.

Volunteering to crew these events is one of the best things I ever did. The SM crew know how to both work hard and play hard. Yes, it's tough at times and you end the day begging for your feet to be amputated, and you do go into post-event coma on Monday, but it's worth every minute.

Given that I'm the clumsy girl that (up until this last weekend) managed to injure herself at every event she crewed, you'd think that I'd be the last person to advocate this. Not so.

Don't do it if you just want to sit next to guests all day. It doesn't work like that. Besides, I much prefer some of the other jobs.

Info desk is awesome - being the front line for all the customers. You get to speak to so many people through the day and you are genuinely helping other fans to have a better time at the event. Resolving problems, giving directions, even recommending a nice coffee shop or restaurant! It's daunting the first time you do it, you don't think you know enough, but everyone's new at some point and as long as you use some common sense!

Green room is fantastic too. Again, that's not a "chilling with the guests" thing, as you don't chat to guests unless they initiate it. But Andrea is a fantastic woman to work for and makes the day very enjoyable!

There are loads of jobs you might be asked to do. There's also ticketing, front door, cash desk, guest assistant, photo area, talk area, runner.... so many! And Too Tall tries to make sure that you do something different each day so that if there's an area you're not keen on, you're not stuck there for two days!

Everyone's got different strengths and interests. People look at me like I'm mad for liking info desk... and I would never have thought that I'd love it so much. I know people who absolutely adore running. It's not my favourite job by a long way.

Saying that, there's not a single job I've been asked to do that I haven't enjoyed. The rest of the crew are really supportive, especially when you're new, and they'll show you the ropes. The pit bosses are wonderful and can quickly sort out any problems, and you never know what new friends you'll make.

They always say that you should try everything once. I would say definitely try crewing. It might not be your cup of tea, but you don't know until you've tried it.

Hope to see you all in London!

Becoming part of the SM Crew is great, you really feel like a part of the family and that you are giving something back. No job is ever boring, at least not from my experience its always fast paced and you get swept away in the moment. I'd say my favorite job has been working on the talk areas despite all the madness but there are plenty of other jobs that you'll get to try from the Info desk to guest assistant. How many people can say they spent there day guarding the Batmobile? I find I'm never short of a story or two. SM's always like to mix it up for you so you get to try different areas and jobs. By the time the day comes to an end you are exhausted but you're wondering where the time went and more importantly how many weeks until the next show! :lol:

Edited by Muffin

I do fancy crewing but with so many guests I want at this event I'll be selfish I guess. I shouldve done lfcc earlier this yearcas there weren't as many guests I wanted. Just a note to everyone who's crewed you've all done a great job so far and never had a problem. :lol:

You could always try crewing for just one day of the event. That way, you'd (hopefully) have enough time to see the guests that you want to and you could still enjoy the experience of being part of the Showmasters family (aka the crew).

Becoming part of the SM Crew is great, you really feel like a part of the family and that you are giving something back. No job is ever boring, at least not from my experience its always fast paced and you get swept away in the moment. I'd say my favorite job has been working on the talk areas despite all the madness but there are plenty of other jobs that you'll get to try from the Info desk to guest assistant. How many people can say they spent there day guarding the Batmobile? I find I'm never short of a story or two. SM's always like to mix it up for you so you get to try different areas and jobs. By the time the day comes to an end you are exhausted but you're wondering where the time went and more importantly how many weeks until the next show! :lol:

This whole post is made of win. So much more succinct than mine. I was gushing way too much!

1. No job is ever boring - So damn true. Even if you're doing a more "mundane" task like VTs, you get to chat to people, meet people, answer questions... it's all about giving back.

2. A bit I didn't cover but this is completely true! It took me a while to feel like part of the family. Not because they're not great, but because it's a very large, very extended family. This last weekend was my fifth (?) event and I really did feel like one of the family this time, as I did at LFCC and at MK. So.... three events until you don't feel like an outsider? But it really is a family environment.

3. Muffin, I didn't do Batmobile duty, but I did see the people sat next to Tumbler. That was possibly one of the stranger jobs that I've seen!!

4. The story bit is certainly true. Wait until people ask you what you were doing this weekend and you can honestly tell them that you served drinks for the first man to walk in space, or Darth Vader took the mickey out of your laugh!

5. Just over two and I can't wait! I was honestly checking my inbox every day this summer to see when the next crew applications were coming out!

Crew meeting times will usually be posted in the crew e-mail.

From memory I think you're cutting it just okay with 7.30. But if something happens, there's a contact number in your crew e-mail too. Just ring and let them know you're running a bit late. As long as you let them know it's fine.

If I applied, I'd have to travel there that morning and the earliest I could get there would be 7:30am. Is that too late or would that be ok?

I believe crew morning meeting starts at 7:20am and it's best to be on time however I have before now got there at about 7:30am. I just texted on the morning to say I would be 10 minutes late and it wasn't a problem.

If it's your first time crewing it's best to be on time as much as poss because first timers get a bit of an extra talk.

:poki:

I don't speak english very weel so I think I can't be crew lol :(

You may be able to help with other people with the language barrier - never think that you may not be able to crew because your english may not be good enough, we have enough people that come from other countries that you can help with.

Trust me - we have english crew whose don't speak english very well :poki:

Michelle

:(

Trust me - we have english crew whose don't speak english very well :poki:

Michelle

Michelle should know, especially after a drinky poo or two!! :lol::poki:

I started crewing after attending LFCC 09 - I've done 4 now and I absolutely love it!

I have met some wonderful, crazy, mental friends who all share a common interest - acting like big kids and having fun! :poki:

Like it's been said before - You spend 12+ hours on your feet a day, the crew parties/drinks at the end of the day ... you leave feeling absolutely exhausted beyond all reason (sleeping the entire way home) .. and then by Monday morning you're thinking 'AGAIN! AGAIN! AGAIN!'

I personally cannot wait for the next one and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone!

Collectormania London 2010 - BRING IT ON :poki:

Vicki :D

:dance:

Trust me - we have english crew whose don't speak english very well :WINCE:

Michelle

Michelle should know, especially after a drinky poo or two!! :P:WAVE:

I was gonna say "HEY!!", but you're absolutely right - especially after pitchers of drink :YAHOO:

And if anyone is going to ache after a London show - it's gonna be me first...

M

Edited by re4per

• Moderators

I've been crewing since C7 & got hooked. The crew are our family & our lifes would be boring without them.

crewing is hard work but fun at the same time. I love the big shows the best as the time just fly's by & you're there at the end of the of it wanting more lol

Edited by mrsclairecarter

I applied for this one, but haven't heard anything yet :D. Being at The Hub for the weekend and having a brilliant time really makes me want to crew for Collectormania events, the crew always seem so happy and kind and talkative even when they are rushing around doing everything possible to make the event run as best as possible for the guests and attendees.

• Moderators

I applied for this one, but haven't heard anything yet :D. Being at The Hub for the weekend and having a brilliant time really makes me want to crew for Collectormania events, the crew always seem so happy and kind and talkative even when they are rushing around doing everything possible to make the event run as best as possible for the guests and attendees.

In the Crew section near the bottom of this forum, there's always a topic saying when the confirmations have been sent out. So you can check there to make sure you've not missed out on receiving anything.

You WILL get an answer either way :D