Guest Cancellation - Joe Flanigan

showmasters

I do understand your argument however rebooking a guest at another event doesnt cost SM anything but it does cost the fans who have to travel and pay again.

I am sure that most people dont have a limitless budget for conventions and shows. With such a late cancellation people who had already booked hotels, transport, time off work and babysitting etc would still attend but with a bit of disappointment.

Lets bear in mind that the stars dont do the shows for free - they are there to earn money. A fact that Paul Darrow made clear during his talk on Saturday - a man with great humour and honesty.

Joe Flanigan didnt have anything on so he was going to Collectormania to earn a few bob. He got another offer and took it knowing fans would be disappointed but also knowing next time he's out of work there's always a convention or show he can pencil in.

I wont be crossing the road to meet him in future.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I cant comment on what cancellations cost SM, they are bound to lose something too, but only they know that. Their finances are for their information only.

Most attendees go for a few guests, I would think it is always a risk if you only go for one guest to anything.

Much in the same way that my main reason for attending Reading this year is Blink 182, so I also stand to lose if they cancel if I look at it that way, but I dont lose, as there are goodness knows how many other bands going. I wouldnt cancel if Blink did (would be gutted though lol)

I would say it is quite dangerous to go to a con simply for one guest. Not badmouthing guests or organisers in ANY way, but it is subject to work commitments etc so I must admit I wouldnt book a con/show only for one guest

I saw Joes twitter comments and he did genuinely seem disappointed not to be going. But isnt it often up to their booking agent too? The actors best interests are sometimes left in their care too, yes Joe could say no, but that is not for us to judge really. I doubt Joe would want to upset an organisation by cancelling either.

Anyway, this could go on and on, so I am going to leave it there.

I will still be pleased to meet Joe at a future event.

I was disapponted not to be able to go to Glasgow this year, and from what I hear, it was a fab show, which is brilliant :D But hopefully I will be there next year :D Sadly, There are never any cons by me, so we always travel a minimum of 2 hours to get to Birmingham which is our closest for the ME cons, but I know some people travel from abroad for shows, we all do it cos we love it :D

Edited by Rhianydd

• Moderators

Different services have different terms and conditions. That's what it comes down to.

It's made clear that guests can cancel due to work committments, and that tickets are non-refundable etc.

I don't see how anyone can really complain about that, and suggest it's unfair. We all know what we're entering into.

an actors job as an actor always comes first.

i've lost count of the times iv atempted to meet my top three guest wants and had there job come before the con/apperance.

at the end of the day thats there job, if someone was a brain surgen and was ment to be giving a speach at my lectures but had to cancle because of there job everyone would understand.

its always in the small print for anything that the line up may not be as advertiesed ( due to work comitments ) including theater performances.

going to see something or spending a fortune on one actor is always risky.

i ummed and arred about going to cm london for misha collins but chose not to as he was the only guest i wanted and if he cancled there wasn't enough of my friend going to make it worth the trip.

Dont know of any other operation where you can advertise, take bookings and then fail to deliver the promised goods without penalty.........

There is small print (or not so small print) on all the websites etc which say guests appearances can't be guaranteed etc, bit like a government health warning on cigarettes or when taking out a mortgage. People choose to ignore this and then if it doesn't go to plan it's tough really.

But I agree, that cons are more of a risk if it's just one guest you want to see, signing events are less so (unless you opt for gold) as the loss for a cancellation (ignoring travel) is usually only about £10 rather than a conventions £90+ and photshoots etc do get refunded.

All that said, the financial loss just adds to the disapointment of the die hard fan missing out on meeting their heroes. I think we can all sympathise with people when such late cancelations happen, sometimes tho, sticking to the company line of suggesting that people shouldn't of booked for one guest alone, probably doesn't help one bit, even if it is true.

• Moderators

I don't think anyone's ever saying simply DON'T book for one guest, only that everyone needs to be aware of the risk factors and be willing to accept that as part of booking up everything for one guest.

It's always going to be unfortunate if that one guest cancels, but I've seen people before demand Showmasters pay for their hotel etc, and say they never want to meet that guest again because they're so evil for cancelling for a job. That they don't care for the fans and stuff like that.

I know people have a right to be upset, and I totally respect that, but it is a personal choice in the end.

?? What like going to the cinema or something??

It is a risk travelling for one guest, but I've done it before and fortunately didn't miss out. If you are a fan it's often a risk worth taking otherwise you could be sat at home with say your airfare in your pocket, but knowing that a few hundred miles away someone you really want to see is signing for everyone.

Can't see what back up plan there could be apart from a weekend in a foreign city.

No, not like 'going to the cinema' - but if people are going to take that risk, which often involves taking time off work etc, and non refundable flights/hotels etc, then I would think it's better to have an alternative plan if they're only going for one guest who ends up cancelling.

I can't see why anyone would want to lose that money for nothing.

See, I am with you here David.

Whnever me and Doug go to LFCC we have other things planned as well, so that if we dont spend as much time at the con as expected we have things to do.

For example this year we went to the Pasaj Del Terror (biggest waste of £14 ever) and Madam Tussauds :D

See, I am with you here David.

Whnever me and Doug go to LFCC we have other things planned as well, so that if we dont spend as much time at the con as expected we have things to do.

For example this year we went to the Pasaj Del Terror (biggest waste of £14 ever) and Madam Tussauds :D

London is one thing but if the event os at say Northampton or Glasgow, there are less options within easy reach for a foreign traveller which would make a foreign trip seem less a waste of time.

I wont be crossing the road to meet him in future.

And thats the catch, by the time you know 100% someone who previously has cancelled is going it can be too late to do anything about it. Its a bit like Crying wolf.

Why is it way different?

Each has failed to deliver the advertised service.....

A guest cancels as he has a new show to go to or a stage test

A ferry or plane cant sail/take off due to weather

Which has the better reason?

The event still goes ahead though.

If the plane was taking off but the local roads meant you couldn't get to the airport, thats not the airlines problem.

Edited by TerraHawk

lol was reading this discussion and I swear a page is missing from this book now ;-)

its a big shame joe had to pull out ,i regretted not meeting him at cm16 but when he and alice pulled out i couldnt justify the trip financially to glasgow just to see the beautiful nicola again, as much as i wanted to

lol was reading this discussion and I swear a page is missing from this book now ;-)

its a big shame joe had to pull out ,i regretted not meeting him at cm16 but when he and alice pulled out i couldnt justify the trip financially to glasgow just to see the beautiful nicola again, as much as i wanted to

But the shops there are lovely.

But the shops there are lovely.

i went to glasgow a few summers ago, footie stadiums were good, science museum imax thing looked nice, shops were no different to any other city or town ;-)

Edited by timelord81r

Lets bear in mind that the stars dont do the shows for free - they are there to earn money. A fact that Paul Darrow made clear during his talk on Saturday - a man with great humour and honesty.

Joe Flanigan didnt have anything on so he was going to Collectormania to earn a few bob. He got another offer and took it knowing fans would be disappointed but also knowing next time he's out of work there's always a convention or show he can pencil in.

An actor's primary job and source of income is acting.

* Acting is what they do, and it can be very hit and miss. He could have a job which is going to keep him busy (and paid for several weeks. Or get him hugely important critical reviews, or allow him to make useful contacts, or work with somebody he's always wanted to.

* Acting being a slightly self-obsessed profession is very much a profession that views itself as the most important thing. I'm sure it's quite acceptable to turn down a role if you're actually playing lead for a Royal Shakespeare Company production that weekend. And probably if your wife is giving birth (so long as it's at least triplets). I'm also sure that turning down an acting job to go and press the flesh and sign your name for the masses is somewhat looked down upon, at least by some folk in the industry. It's the sign of somebody who hasn't got their priorities straight. Somebody who "if they can't be bothered to work for me now because they've got some little signing event on, well I shan't bother asking him in future..." Messrs Depp and Pitt and DeCaprio can no doubt be as fussy and as difficult as they like, but my understanding is that your average jobbing actor needs to be pretty flexible and available.

* Actors act. That's what they do, and one of the reasons they get acting jobs is people have seen them act and been impressed by them. Sportplayers get picked for their national sports team, or signed up by bigger clubs because of how well they play their game. And the more they play, the more chance they get to impress. Nobody ever got picked for England or signed for Barcelona because they were consistently funny on chat shows or wrote a decent weekly column in the paper. Similarly, I'm pretty sure actors don't get acting jobs because they go to conventions and smile nicely at folk. An acting job can be a springboard to a bigger and better acting job. A convention isn't likely to be so.

Given all that, any guest at an event is going to insist that their day job has primacy, and if something comes up in it, they'll have to go. I'd imagine any organiser that tried to write a contract that overrode that would have trouble getting anybody to sign up. And any organiser that tried to sue somebody for going off to an acting job instead would never get another guest again.

That's just the way it is, as Bruce Hornsby once sang.

I see that Mr Flanigan need not make his own apologies....there are plenty of people willing to do it for him.

He makes the anouncement on Twitter and there in the name is the clue.

If only everyone was so forgiving in the real world.

Perhaps remember all the leeway and latitude given to Mr Flanigan next time your moaning at a service desk or an airline check in and before anyone asks - I dont work in the service industry, nor with the public in general, but I am sure that if everyone was as forgiving to those that do when something goes wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully Joe will be along at another show. I know he has lots of people that would still like to meet him.

That is after all what this thread is about. :lol:

We dont need to "stick up for him" as he didnt actually do anything wrong. Yes, it is very disappointing when a guest cancels because of work, but he didnt break any rules or anything.

The twitter thing is a bit weird though, I looked it up, (cos I was intrigued why they called it that) its called that cos of the short little tweets people make - as in bird song? short bursts of information etc thats all it is. Doesnt refer to a persons intelligence. :dance:

It can be very useful to people in their planning for events when Showmasters or even the guests themselves give little informative "tweets" about scheduling/timing etc. (I have found out about gigs that way too by subscribing to ticket companies)

Joe knew he had lots of fans, so he wanted to make sure that those fans found out that he was unable to attend. So he tweeted information. Not everyone checks the forums that regularly.

and ps I have worked in various jobs dealing with customers, not all of us shout at people if a flight is cancelled due to snow etc :( I try to be nice cos thats what I would hope from customers too

Tony the Cylon - I only seem to get to go wandering round shops when I have gone away, so am glad to hear the shops are nice :D wouldnt mind staying for a few days around the con next year. Was really jealous seeing the pics that friends sent back to me over the course of the weekend, looked like it was so much fun :o

• Moderators

Plus, of course, he already apologised anyway. Not only for not attending, but also for announcing it before Showmasters did.

While we're waiting for a winner I have good news/bad news. First bad news, can't go to Glasgow. Good news; because I've got a new project

Terribly sorry to all the fans and promoters. I was genuinely looking forward to it and specifically drinking single-malt scotch.

BTW, my bad, my announcement was supposed to proceed after Collectormania's announcement but I got the timing wrong. Deep apologies.

Not quite sure what else he could say :D

Plus, of course, he already apologised anyway. Not only for not attending, but also for announcing it before Showmasters did.

While we're waiting for a winner I have good news/bad news. First bad news, can't go to Glasgow. Good news; because I've got a new project

Terribly sorry to all the fans and promoters. I was genuinely looking forward to it and specifically drinking single-malt scotch.

BTW, my bad, my announcement was supposed to proceed after Collectormania's announcement but I got the timing wrong. Deep apologies.

Not quite sure what else he could say :D

I like it when this happens, shows he cares about the fans and his rep, my opinion of him is even higher than it was before, he seemed really nice from passing at cm16, regret not getting a photoshoot.

Isnt it interesting that your so willing to accept a cancellation at an event whether music or convention but when other things are cancelled like trains, flights and ferry's everyone expects compensation........

Just and observation

The observation is somewhat misplaced in my personal opinion. When it comes to a music event, festival, convention, signing event, West End Stage production, the average person uses common sense to realise that problems can and often arise. I can't remember who it was recently, but someone fell ill during a production, the curtain was dropped, he was attended to and taken to hospital and his understudy went on.

U2, as previously mentioned, missed Glasto because of Bono's back.

Now, using your comparison of a train, flight or ferry, it is often written into the terms and conditions that compensation is given.

If you check the advertising for musicals, stage productions, conventions etc, the term "guests appear subject to work commitments (conventions)", "acts appearing are correct as of advertising, but can change. Please call to check website for up to date details"...

To compare the two completely different sets of examples really nullifies your point as both are run under different sets of circumstances.

I can understand your disappointment for Joe cancelling, but it was very last minute as Showmasters stated.

Someone has said about a backup plan. How can this work? The only way to get someone to be available at short notice is to pay them to be free that weekend on the off chance someone may cancel. So, if you are paying them, then get them as a guest anyway.

Entertainment events need to be able to be financially stable and sensibly run. I have seen many companies go belly up because they tried too hard and failed. SM are not perfect, but they are the best damn event organiser around at the moment.

So, I am not sure how long you have been doing events, but you need to be realistic.

I see that Mr Flanigan need not make his own apologies....there are plenty of people willing to do it for him.

He makes the anouncement on Twitter and there in the name is the clue.

If only everyone was so forgiving in the real world.

Perhaps remember all the leeway and latitude given to Mr Flanigan next time your moaning at a service desk or an airline check in and before anyone asks - I dont work in the service industry, nor with the public in general, but I am sure that if everyone was as forgiving to those that do when something goes wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Until someone annoys me at aforementioned check in desk, I always give someone the benefit of the doubt. Things happen. Life is too short to moan 24/7. Deal with the problem, and things will right themselves. However, treat me like an idiot and someone will know about it. Too many people "kick off" when they do not need to.