Guest Cancellation - Joe Flanigan

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

We are very sorry to announce that Joe Flanigan will no longer be able to attend Collectormania Glasgow!

His management let us know, literally 5 minutes ago, that Joe wont be able to attend as he has to film in Toronto and needs to catch a flight out there today!

Please accept our apologies for this late notice but I am sure we all wish Joe the best for his new project.

Thanks

Showmasters

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Joe's twitter (also, about 5 mins ago):

I have good news/bad news. First bad news, can't go to Glasgow. Good news; because I've got a new project. Terribly sorry to all the fans and promoters. I was genuinely looking forward to it and specifically drinking single-malt scotch.

• Moderators

Unless they have a transporter that I don't know about, I'd think it's near-impossible to get similar guests flown in on half a day's notice.

Miracles can happen I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't expect any.

iam really gutted he cant make it but i totally understand he has to put his career first hope he can make a future collectormania glasgow event

iam really gutted he cant make it but i totally understand he has to put his career first hope he can make a future collectormania glasgow event

Damn. There goes the one guest I wanted to see. It's a good job I'm local so I can still meet up with friends!

Come and see our Night is Day Movie stand! We've got a lot of our cast coming both days and we're all mad, lol.

And after looking at your profile, I'd love to meet Neil Patrick Harris too lol.

Well this certainly will have an impact, he is the kind of guest that pulls in the punters. There are probably a fair few who wont know that he's not coming since he cancelled this late and will be greatly disappointed when they turn up.

Well this certainly will have an impact, he is the kind of guest that pulls in the punters. There are probably a fair few who wont know that he's not coming since he cancelled this late and will be greatly disappointed when they turn up.

Not sure if i agree with that!

I appreciate there is a fan base for Stargate but its not the be all and end all.

I myself love all things Sci-Fi but hate Stargate and wouldnt know Joe if i was standing next to him. Its all in the eye of the beholder.....

I think the Red Dwarf guests and also Paul Freeman are the best. When friends ask who is going and i name the guests they all get excited about the bad guy from Raiders, a classic to many....the guy from Stargate gets blank looks.

Now in no way am i disrespecting your love for all things Stargate....just pointing out that theres still alot of good guests....who will appeal to others.

Hope you have a good Con

Goodie

I appreciate there is a fan base for Stargate but its not the be all and end all.

I myself love all things Sci-Fi but hate Stargate and wouldnt know Joe if i was standing next to him. Its all in the eye of the beholder.....

I think the Red Dwarf guests and also Paul Freeman are the best. When friends ask who is going and i name the guests they all get excited about the bad guy from Raiders, a classic to many....the guy from Stargate gets blank looks.

Now in no way am i disrespecting your love for all things Stargate....just pointing out that theres still alot of good guests....who will appeal to others.

Hope you have a good Con

Goodie

Well he did get like 7 thousand followers on Twitter 3 days after registering which should mean something xD. Also his auto costed £20 which is higher than every other guest attending, I assume they base price on popularity.

Edited by Tanith

Goodie

Well he did gain like 7 thousand followers on Twitter 3 days after registering which should means something xD. Also his auto cost £20 which is higher than every other guest attending, I assume they base price on guest popularity.

Well yes....but 7 thousand followers on twitter is not that much really.....look at the big stars.....thats just a good following...and there is nothing wrong with that, i have no issues with it all i am saying is that we all like diffrent things and showmasters has managed to get a little bit of everything......Doctor Who ,Blake 7, Indiana Jones, Red Dwarf, StaR Trek so although not having Joe is a blow its not going to ruin the Con for a lot of folk.....

Ps i loved the Stargate movie but i am a Kurt Russell junkie....Ahhh Tango and Cash but i just cant get into the Tv shows.....tried a few episodes of Universe the other day....its just not my thing...but hey you may think Tango and Cash is not high art and i would disagree hehe

Edited by Goodie586

I agree. He woulda pulled a fair few folk through the door. But the Dwarf guys certainly did VERY well today.

I myself was majorly gutted he cancelled. He was the only person I was going for until Chris Barrie was announced. All I thought of today was thank god Chris came along, otherwise, I would have seriously re-considered going.

Hope you have a good Con

Goodie

No but it will have an impact on people who come to see him specifically I know of people coming from Spain just for him, so there will be very disappointed people about. Yes there may be other things that might interest them, but he was their only reason for being there.

• Moderators

Sadly you can say that for anyone if they're only coming for one guest.

It's always going to be a risk, especially coming from overseas etc. I'm not quite sure I'd ever do it, as I can't afford to lose that sort of money.

I admire those who do, but I certainly feel they need some sort of back-up plan if their guest does cancel and they can't get refunds etc.

I admire those who do, but I certainly feel they need some sort of back-up plan if their guest does cancel and they can't get refunds etc.

?? What like going to the cinema or something??

It is a risk travelling for one guest, but I've done it before and fortunately didn't miss out. If you are a fan it's often a risk worth taking otherwise you could be sat at home with say your airfare in your pocket, but knowing that a few hundred miles away someone you really want to see is signing for everyone.

Can't see what back up plan there could be apart from a weekend in a foreign city.

• Moderators

?? What like going to the cinema or something??

It is a risk travelling for one guest, but I've done it before and fortunately didn't miss out. If you are a fan it's often a risk worth taking otherwise you could be sat at home with say your airfare in your pocket, but knowing that a few hundred miles away someone you really want to see is signing for everyone.

Can't see what back up plan there could be apart from a weekend in a foreign city.

No, not like 'going to the cinema' - but if people are going to take that risk, which often involves taking time off work etc, and non refundable flights/hotels etc, then I would think it's better to have an alternative plan if they're only going for one guest who ends up cancelling.

I can't see why anyone would want to lose that money for nothing.

I agree that some sort of back up plan should be in place for this sort of occurence.

I didnt know that Joe had Cancelled and he was the only guest that I was interested in. Fortunately I only travelled 95 miles each way and that it wasnt an expensive event.

I have bought a gold ticket for Cheveron 7.5, booked a hotel, arranged cover at work and talked a friend into doing the same I am now a bit concerned about a similar fate befalling it.

It is strange that you pay upfront quite a substantial sum and have no guarantee of the event featuring the advertised guests.

Dont know of any other operation where you can advertise, take bookings and then fail to deliver the promised goods without penalty.........

It is strange that you pay upfront quite a substantial sum and have no guarantee of the event featuring the advertised guests.

Dont know of any other operation where you can advertise, take bookings and then fail to deliver the promised goods without penalty.........

There are plenty of events that you must pay upfront (T in the park, reading ect) Just look at when U2 pulled out of glastonbury, people have payed for the tickets, transport ect. Its one of them things. that the odd time things happen that are out of the organisers hands. But they will always do there best to try and get some one to replace them.

I have bought a gold ticket for Cheveron 7.5, booked a hotel, arranged cover at work and talked a friend into doing the same I am now a bit concerned about a similar fate befalling it.

I have been to all Chevrons and i have had so much fun at them, this one will be the same :D

Edited by mojoe

I totally agree Mojoe.

there are a few cons I have been to that the main guest had cancelled, but I still had an amazing time.

Same with gigs too. the number of times I have booked to see certain bands, and am still waiting to see them after many cancellations.

We have reading tickets this year, and my main reason for going is Blink 182, but even if they cancel it will be amazing. We didnt find out until long after the tickets what a lot of the line up was, but am really pleased that a lot of really good bands have been added.

Pay your money and take your chance etc etc

With the cons though, I really do understand when an actor gets offered a job. How can we begrudge them a few days filming in possibly big movies/tv series etc. SM/ME will always try to get them back in the future :D Thank goodness :D

Isnt it interesting that your so willing to accept a cancellation at an event whether music or convention but when other things are cancelled like trains, flights and ferry's everyone expects compensation........

Just and observation

well, at gigs that the main headliner cancelled and we got our gig tickets refunded, I still lost my travel. I took out insurance though, so all was good :D

Travel stuff getting cancelled is different though, cos it could mean that you couldnt get to your destination full stop!

I had a friend stranded abroad when that flight company went bust!

cost them £4000 to get the family home.............from Spain!!!! THAT is way different to a band or a guest cancelling, so yes, I do moan if my travel arrangements get cancelled :D

well, only speaking pesonally you understand, not speaking for anyone else.

for me, if one guest cancels at a show, I still get to go to the show and have fun. Usually get to see the guest at a later date anyway (not like its SMs fault that a guest cancels, it is the guest for whatever their reason, often out of their control too)

but, if a train is cancelled or delayed, again for whatever reason, I could then miss a holiday, show, concert, whatever, if I cant find alternative transportation.

So transport does affect me more than a cancelled guest

but hey, thats just me :D

I do understand what you say about breaking the contract, however, all guests do appear subject to work commitments, and that is stated on the website and forum, and where the shows are concerned, if an actor is offered a paid acting job and can then no longer attend the con, c'est la vie. Some actors possibly only get maximum of say 10 days acting a year. I wouldnt want to deprive them of that, or deprive the viewers/fans the opportunity to see a fave actor in something else :D

And as I said, if they are unable to attend through work, then SM/ME usually re-book them at the next opportunity anyway :thumbup:

Edited by Rhianydd