if you really want to help make this event bigger and better

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

if you really want to help make this event bigger and better this is how you can help make a difference

we plan to keep working with you all to make this event the best we can and to bring the best guests we can afford to , and the way to help us make this event bigger is to let am many people know of it as you can .

we have ads going in lots of papers the week before the event as well as radio ads so this is covered .

but were you can all help is telling your friends and also getting flyers out in shops and places were you think people that like these event may hang out ?

we have new flyers and posters being printed on monday so if you can help us and want to give out some fliers or posters then please email us at

Showmasters <info@showmastersonline.com>

just let us know how many you think you need and we will send them to you

this is of great help to us as letting more fans know of the event means that more fans will attend and that means we can go that little bit more on guest fees and get more or bigger guest you want to meet , which is what we all want to see happen .

we know form our past that it takes time to grow a show , we here all feel that the Glasgow show is on the right track to become a great show , things have been tuff over the last few years but we are still here and over the next few years we plan to grow the event and with all your help we can make this event one of the best in the UK

so if you can help us do please get in contact with us at Showmasters <info@showmastersonline.com> and let us know what you want us to send you and it will go out to you asap

thank you for all your help and i look forward to seeing you soon

yours

Jason and the Showmasters team :crying:

Have you thought about contacting some of the tourist offices? Might be some fans visiting from abroad or even locals in to find out some info about other stuff that don't know about Collectormania

it might help if the place actually advertised it on there website! just had a quick look and couldnt find anything,

last month I went to a con at cardiff national museum, there website also did not advertise the event, in the cafe a few ppl came upto me asking what was going on, once told there response was if they had known they may of attended, others went looking to see if any tickets were left.

never underestimate event loaction advertising.

on a similar note, with the cancelation of the big scottish doctor who event would it not of been rewarding to try and get some of those guests to temp those who were planning on going to the canceled con? like tom baker to go with sylv alreay announced.

jsut a thought.

i keep going from wanting to come to thnking its to far for to little, its gonna be very last minute i think for me deciding to come, I hope its a continued success though. some decent guests so far, just need a few more for me to make the long journey

Whilst I accept that money talks and that you really can only get guests you can afford, it seems strange to me that whilst London and Milton Keynes get some extraordinary guests Glasgow seems to be the poor man's choice. If we get lacklustre guests (as I blieve this year's to be) then there isn't much hope of attracting people. On the other hand, get a heavy hitter and advertise that fact and you could get plenty. Speculate to accumalate. get a heavy hitter up here instead of those who ahve done the circuit a few times.

Last year you made real progress and got some decent guests and I had hoped that this year would be building upon it. I will be going this year but not for the guests. I'll see what's on the stalls, say Hi to a friend or two but if the guests were all there was I wouldn't be there.

Personally I am extremely happy with the Guests announced. The stalls as usual are very good and always leave with more than I anticipated I would find.

All in all, I think this year is looking to be the best so far!

;););)

Whilst I accept that money talks and that you really can only get guests you can afford, it seems strange to me that whilst London and Milton Keynes get some extraordinary guests Glasgow seems to be the poor man's choice. If we get lacklustre guests (as I blieve this year's to be) then there isn't much hope of attracting people. On the other hand, get a heavy hitter and advertise that fact and you could get plenty. Speculate to accumalate. get a heavy hitter up here instead of those who ahve done the circuit a few times.

Last year you made real progress and got some decent guests and I had hoped that this year would be building upon it. I will be going this year but not for the guests. I'll see what's on the stalls, say Hi to a friend or two but if the guests were all there was I wouldn't be there.

I have been fortunate to have been attending Glasgow since 2007 (3 in August and 1 in December); have been at the last 2 London Film and Comic Cons; and attended Collectormania 16 in Milton Keynes this year. I would echo AmbersKnight view that Glasgow this time does indeed seem to be the poor man's choice when comparing these events and the guests attending.

Don't get me wrong, I have been delighted to meet Kenny Baker and Sylvester McCoy a number of times but there is a limit to the novelty of this.

I was also delighted to have my photo taken at Milton Keynes with Chris Barrie, Danny John Jules and Robert llewellyn from Red Dwarf. Due to a real spam-up of the processing on the day, the photos of that shoot did not come back in time for me to get it signed by Robert as he was only there for one day and had gone by the time the photos came back. I did get it signed by Chris and Danny who were there for two days. I would love to meet up with them again but I already have my items that I wanted signed by them.

This year's Glasgow event had two headliners who have now called off - neither of whom I was necessarily wanting to meet. I was never a particularly big fan of Blakes 7 and although it would be interesting to meet Paul Darrow, I am not overly fussed. I am afraid I have never heard of Dominic Keating - no offence to him intended. I have only heard of Hamish Wilson because he was the answer to a question set by David Tennant on the Graham Norton show. I would quite like to meet Paul Freeman but I don't know if that would be big enough an incentive to drive from Edinburgh as I have done in the last 3 years just for that experience.

I feel that the past years had a greater variety of individual to meet and I am a little concerned having spent so much time and money with Showmasters over the last three years at seven of their events that this may be a winding down of the Glasgow event to the extent that all future shows will be based in England. I have met some great people and have some great memories of these events. I hope to attend others in future but I am afraid that I find little this time to attract me to come through this weekend. My son who has attended all of these with me feels the same. He is a big Doctor Who fan but has also met Sylvester on two occassions. We will not be coming this weekend - he would rather try for the following weekend when Karen Gillan visits Hamleys in Glasgow.

I apologise for a slightly rambling message but I feel a little disappointed that an event I had been looking forward to seems a little like a damp squib this time around. I am sure that there will be others who have been to many other events who will feel the same way as I do.

• Moderators

I have been fortunate to have been attending Glasgow since 2007 (3 in August and 1 in December); have been at the last 2 London Film and Comic Cons; and attended Collectormania 16 in Milton Keynes this year. I would echo AmbersKnight view that Glasgow this time does indeed seem to be the poor man's choice when comparing these events and the guests attending.

Don't get me wrong, I have been delighted to meet Kenny Baker and Sylvester McCoy a number of times but there is a limit to the novelty of this.

I was also delighted to have my photo taken at Milton Keynes with Chris Barrie, Danny John Jules and Robert llewellyn from Red Dwarf. Due to a real spam-up of the processing on the day, the photos of that shoot did not come back in time for me to get it signed by Robert as he was only there for one day and had gone by the time the photos came back. I did get it signed by Chris and Danny who were there for two days. I would love to meet up with them again but I already have my items that I wanted signed by them.

This year's Glasgow event had two headliners who have now called off - neither of whom I was necessarily wanting to meet. I was never a particularly big fan of Blakes 7 and although it would be interesting to meet Paul Darrow, I am not overly fussed. I am afraid I have never heard of Dominic Keating - no offence to him intended. I have only heard of Hamish Wilson because he was the answer to a question set by David Tennant on the Graham Norton show. I would quite like to meet Paul Freeman but I don't know if that would be big enough an incentive to drive from Edinburgh as I have done in the last 3 years just for that experience.

I feel that the past years had a greater variety of individual to meet and I am a little concerned having spent so much time and money with Showmasters over the last three years at seven of their events that this may be a winding down of the Glasgow event to the extent that all future shows will be based in England. I have met some great people and have some great memories of these events. I hope to attend others in future but I am afraid that I find little this time to attract me to come through this weekend. My son who has attended all of these with me feels the same. He is a big Doctor Who fan but has also met Sylvester on two occassions. We will not be coming this weekend - he would rather try for the following weekend when Karen Gillan visits Hamleys in Glasgow.

I apologise for a slightly rambling message but I feel a little disappointed that an event I had been looking forward to seems a little like a damp squib this time around. I am sure that there will be others who have been to many other events who will feel the same way as I do.

I'm not quite sure why you see it as 'winding down' as in comparison to the previous Glasgow events, this one is actually on the same level. It certainly doesn't have less guests, and I don't believe the standard of guest is any lower either.

Certainly the loss of Alice and Joe is very disappointing, but it's too late to do anything about that unfortunately. That wasn't down to Showmasters, so again cannot be attributed to 'winding down' or anything like that.

I would say that if you do travel around the UK to other Showmasters events, Glasgow can be a little underwhelming in comparison. But to a lot of locals that don't travel elsewhere, it's a great chance to meet the guests on offer. Showmasters don't expect everyone to travel all over the world to Glasgow like they do with LFCC etc.

Of course, with any lineup, it just depends on what you're into and who you want to meet. Like for me - I could meet more at Glasgow than I'm interested in at Collectormania London at the moment. It's just the way things fall in the end.

Edited by DavidB

:(

I'm not quite sure why you see it as 'winding down' as in comparison to the previous Glasgow events, this one is actually on the same level. It certainly doesn't have less guests, and I don't believe the standard of guest is any lower either.

Certainly the loss of Alice and Joe is very disappointing, but it's too late to do anything about that unfortunately. That wasn't down to Showmasters, so again cannot be attributed to 'winding down' or anything like that.

I would say that if you do travel around the UK to other Showmasters events, Glasgow can be a little underwhelming in comparison. But to a lot of locals that don't travel elsewhere, it's a great chance to meet the guests on offer. Showmasters don't expect everyone to travel all over the world to Glasgow like they do with LFCC etc.

Of course, with any lineup, it just depends on what you're into and who you want to meet. Like for me - I could meet more at Glasgow than I'm interested in at Collectormania London at the moment. It's just the way things fall in the end.

The reason that I see it as winding down is the experience you had with your Christmas show a couple of years ago. That was not particularly well attended - it was a lot quieter that the August shows that's for sure. This clearly did not make as much money and that is why the "experiment" was not repeated.

I do understand what you say about it being a matter of tastes of the attendees as to whether the line-up is attractive or not. However, as a business, you should be trying to cater for all your customers and that includes those like my son and myself who have been fortunate to travel to other events. If you count Joe Flanigan, 4 of this event attendees had been at Milton Keynes. I just think a little more creativity could have come into play.

You had to change the dates of the event which I found a little strange given how far in advance they would have been booked. However, they do coincide with the Edinburgh Festival and there are many attending that who you could have tried to get through for a day - I even emailed Showmasters to note that Norman Lovett is in Edinburgh just now. I have met up with him a couple of times during his run at the Fringe and his show starts at 10.30pm so he would have had plenty time to have come through and get back for his own show. I am not sure if he would have wanted to come but I would even have been willing to drive him through myself had that been the case. That would have given a Red Dwarf 3-some as it were which might have provided a different angle for the talk. As it is, Norman has himself arranged with Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh to do a signing session of photos and DVDs on 28th August. This might suggest he may have been open to the suggestion.

Other examples of people in Edinburgh just now are Jennifer Coolidge (American Pie); Caroline Rhea (Sabrina); Simon Callow (4 Weddings); and Michael Urie (Ugly Betty) to name but four. I am not saying that you could have got any or all of them interested in coming but surely to try to make this event as attractive for everyone who might be interested, the Edinburgh programme schedule could have been consulted to identify possibilities given the 45 mile proximity of the two events.

I have no knowledge of the process and negotiations involved - or indeed the financial incentives that might be at play - but some of the performers in Edinburgh might welcome the opportunity to encourage those from the West to come to their shows.

I remain unconvinced by this line up that the Glasgow event is not perhaps on the way out. I would ask simply whether Showmasters have ever considered trying to run one in Edinburgh instead. While I understand that venues could be a challenge, the number of people in the city at the time of the Festival surely would give you greater scope for a collectormania type event to be a huge success. In itself, that then might provide greater opportunity to compete with the types of guest attracted to the events based in the Southern part of England.

Edited by enrohm1963

It is a shame that the guest have cancelled, but i think it is obvious that this is not something Showmasters wanted to happen....its just actors schedules are all about where the work is!

I bet no one is more gutted than Jason and the rest of the team that these cancellations have happened!

Alas there is nothing we can do but support the event.

Dont get me wrong....i was very vocal a few weeks ago when no guests were announced other that Kenny Baker, Paul Darrow and Paul Blake....and i think we established that many people care about the event.

In Showmasters denfense thou they have pulled through and have a great event. There is something for everyone and the guests are a good selection....sure we dont have William Shantner but its for the same reason that we dont have a Disney World in Glasgow.....there just aint the crowd.

So lets be happy with our guests....hell i am meeting Belloq tommorrow!!!

Thanks Showmasters for this event.......its been amazing each time and i am giddy about tomorrow.

Sweet Dreams my fellow Geeks

Goodie x

This will be the first Glasgow event I will not attend, due to having met all the guests before. I live relatively close to Glasgow, and have travelled to many of Showmasters other events. However, in addition to having met all of these guests elsewhere in the UK, the majority of them have been to events in Glasgow already. So I agree, even for locals there are some very familiar faces here. Hamish Wilson's first two appearances were in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Nicola and Sylvester have been to Glasgow signings very recently. With the exception of Paul Freeman and Dominic Keating, the others have all signed up here already.

I know there are some people who have still not met these guests, but for me personally, this is the reason Glasgow has never been too essential for me. Aside from one or two 1st time signers, it's been repeat guests (either within the UK as a whole, or Glasgow in particular).

Edited by Zagreus

• Moderators

It is unfortunate if there's no one for you to meet personally. I don't know much about Glasgow signings in general, so I can't really comment on that. I guess it depends on where you go etc.