william shatner

indio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I'm not a big fan of paying for talks, as they can certainly be a bit hit or miss, but alongside the Patrick Stewart one I would say the William Shatner one was by far the best value for money.

To hear about so many different projects - even at this stage of his career - was fascinating, and he has a fantastic sense of humour and he genuinely seemed to appreciate the support. I can't fault him whatsoever, especially considering the number of talks I've seen where the guests didn't bother a whole lot.

I realise talks aren't every guest's 'thing' but it is nice when they go that extra mile and really put the effort in. I'm pretty sure we could have all sat there a few more hours and he would still have only scratched the surface.

I'm pretty sure we could have all sat there a few more hours and he would still have only scratched the surface.
That was my one 'issue' with his talk. It was over far too quickly. Should have been a few more hours at least!

i attended lfcc just to get bill shatner and he did not disappoint at all,id heard loads of stories that he was this and that,well il put those stories to bed!HE WAS GREAT!! didnt wait long for his autograph,and he spoke etc,and you could even take a pic(take not boxers)

high calibre guest and a true legend of the film world! :YAHOO:

I wasn't going to get his auto, thought is was a bit pricey, but then I though what the hell might not get the chance again! I didn't expect a lot, but I got a 'hello, thanks' and a smile so I was rather happy!

Thanks Showmasters for a great show!

I'm not a big fan of paying for talks, as they can certainly be a bit hit or miss, but alongside the Patrick Stewart one I would say the William Shatner one was by far the best value for money.

To hear about so many different projects - even at this stage of his career - was fascinating, and he has a fantastic sense of humour and he genuinely seemed to appreciate the support. I can't fault him whatsoever, especially considering the number of talks I've seen where the guests didn't bother a whole lot.

I realise talks aren't every guest's 'thing' but it is nice when they go that extra mile and really put the effort in. I'm pretty sure we could have all sat there a few more hours and he would still have only scratched the surface.

The Scott Bakula one was much better than the Patrick Stewart talk.

• Moderators

I saw Scott's talk, and while his was extremely good, I'm a far bigger fan of Sir Patrick so that one will always be more memorable to me.

I saw Scott's talk, and while his was extremely good, I'm a far bigger fan of Sir Patrick so that one will always be more memorable to me.

Each to his own I say - I've met Patrick 3 times and he wasn't very nice to me at any of the occasions - Scott was excellent, pleasant etc - really fan friendly.

I took my 9 year old niece with me to get Bill's autograph and I was quite nervous in case he ignored her, because you can't really explain that kind of thing to a heartbroken child...but I'm delighted to say that he was absolutely lovely with her. She was wearing a TOS red dress and he told her the dress was lovely and she was very pretty and he asked her if she was a Trek fan. He absolutely made her day and she hasn't stopped going on about it since.

The photoshoot was quicker, but I'd been told that he often doesn't even look up at the camera in shoots...so I was pleasantly surprised that I got at least a little smile out of him (as well as a 'hi' as I approached and a 'thank you' as I left).

I suppose I set my expectations pretty low for Shatner, simply because I didn't want to be dissapointed. But I'm delighted to say he totally surpassed them!

Oh, and the talk was excellent :)

Personally, my favourite guest of the weekend.

Ignoring the talk(which was great), I had three encounters with Bill on Sunday, photoshoot and autos x2 (one for a friend so I went back in later in the day ) on each occasion he smiled made eye contact, said hi or thank you and I got the knuckle tap thing as well on the final occassion.

All three encounters were better than i had feared based on what happened to so many people in MK, so I'm well happy.

You knuckle-bumped Willaim Shatner? :poki::P

:help: I bow to you sir!

I got a one-armed hug by him - AND have the photo evidence to prove it LOL Seriously, he was the reason I came to London and he was wonderful. Always made eye-contact, talked to me (quickly, but still!), smiled, not only permitted me to put my arm on/around his shoulders for the shoot but laughed when the first photo didn't come out and I got shooed back next to him for the second try and then put his arm around me as if to keep me standing still until the shot was announced 'good', answered my question(s) in an absolutely lovely way in the talk all the while making sure to keep looking back towards me as if he was still talking to me as if in a normal conversation. He was witty, humorous, eloquent, didn't display any larger-than-life ego or attitude and was all around absolutely lovely. I'm still squeeing over my Sunday experience with him :)

We got Bill's auto on Saturday. Was not too sure about the queueing arrangement though, all that ziggy-zaggy yellow lined floor tape. Felt too much like being in a bank...(celebrity number four please!) :D

A good experience for us marred by only one thing. As we approached Bill's signing desk we could see that he was indeed spending a few vital seconds interacting with his fans a fair bit. "GREAT!" thinks us! And then, and I am not joking, the female fan in front of us turned into the mad fan from loony land. She just would not stop talking and would not move! All the time, the items to bve signed passing in front of him (including ours).

Dear lord she just would not stop...how great it was to meet him, how much she loved his work, how much her mother loved him and his work, how sorry her mother was because she had wanted to come over from Germany to meet him but that she had been unwell so had not been able to, how grateful she was to have finally met him, how great he was....it was endless!

Of course, by this time...not just his security or the SM event staff were trying to fend her off...but even The Man himself is trying to gently coax her away with "yes, thank you very much, yes good bye, thank you, good bye...thank you, good bye"

Still, as a pro, WS looked up and smiled at us and thanked me when I said hello and told him that I'd enjoyed his SHATNER'S RAW NERVE interview show.

Much better than at MK, even with the...shall we say...slightly over enthused fan.

We got Bill's auto on Saturday. Was not too sure about the queueing arrangement though, all that ziggy-zaggy yellow lined floor tape. Felt too much like being in a bank...(celebrity number four please!) ^_^

A good experience for us marred by only one thing. As we approached Bill's signing desk we could see that he was indeed spending a few vital seconds interacting with his fans a fair bit. "GREAT!" thinks us! And then, and I am not joking, the female fan in front of us turned into the mad fan from loony land. She just would not stop talking and would not move! All the time, the items to bve signed passing in front of him (including ours).

Dear lord she just would not stop...how great it was to meet him, how much she loved his work, how much her mother loved him and his work, how sorry her mother was because she had wanted to come over from Germany to meet him but that she had been unwell so had not been able to, how grateful she was to have finally met him, how great he was....it was endless!

Of course, by this time...not just his security or the SM event staff were trying to fend her off...but even The Man himself is trying to gently coax her away with "yes, thank you very much, yes good bye, thank you, good bye...thank you, good bye"

Still, as a pro, WS looked up and smiled at us and thanked me when I said hello and told him that I'd enjoyed his SHATNER'S RAW NERVE interview show.

Much better than at MK, even with the...shall we say...slightly over enthused fan.

Someone else in another thread said they had someone in front of them in a line for a different guest who just wouldn't stop talking.

Have to wonder if it's the same woman.

LOL for a moment, I just read something about 'come over from Germany to meet him' and was thinking 'Dear GAWD, that better not have been me!' but then I read the whole mother being unwell/having wanted to come over bit and I'm like 'Phew. Not me then!' *chuckles* That's gotta be awful though, to have your experience ruined by a nutter like that ^_^ I'm glad you still got his attention and a brief interaction as you had hoped to :)

i had the pleasure of meeting mr shatner 3 times on saturday,the first time i was in the right place at the right time,i noticed a lot of crew members around his area so i asked what was happening and the crew member told me he was arriving at 11.30 and when i checked my watch it was 11.25 and as i had a gold pass i joined the queque straight away,i was second in line to meet him,he looked up said hello,signed my photos and said thank you when i left,next came the photo shoot,as i walked up he said hello ,i had my photo took,and when it was over i said thank you and he said my pleasure and like a few others i also got the "knuckle knock" from him,talk about being on cloud nine.

and finally right at the end of the day i found a photo on a dealer stand i really liked so i took it to be signed by him,i asked the crew member if he was still signing and he said yes if your quick so i payed my money and went in and there was only me so i walked straight up and as i got to his table he stopped talking to his crew member looked up and said hello ,how are you today,i was abit taken back,captain kirk asking me how i was before i had the chance to say anything,i said im very well thank you mr shatner,how are you and he said im good thanks,he then signed my photos and said thank you for coming,and i replyed thank you mr shatner,and he once again said my pleasure.

so all in all i had a great time with mr shatner and its something i will never forget being a life long fan of his, ive got a great photo and some great signed pictures so a big thank you to jason and his staff for making it all possible. :(

Edited by del-boy

I thought the fav colour question being the first was a good little ice-breaker, he laughed about it and it seemed to set a nice, relaxed and enjoyable tone to the talk :pyth:

Great guest, great talk!

what was his awnser to his favourite color?

I thought the fav colour question being the first was a good little ice-breaker, he laughed about it and it seemed to set a nice, relaxed and enjoyable tone to the talk :pyth:

Great guest, great talk!

what was his awnser to his favourite color?

He said it'd be red.

Regarding Shatner's "hearing problems" during the talk - I was in row 4 and couldn't hear half of the questions during the talk (had the same problem with other talks as well). It is no wonder Bill couldn't hear the people quietly asking with a British accent on top of that :)

Seriously though, somebody should teach the sound techs how to do their job :D

Regarding Shatner's "hearing problems" during the talk - I was in row 4 and couldn't hear half of the questions during the talk (had the same problem with other talks as well). It is no wonder Bill couldn't hear the people quietly asking with a British accent on top of that :)

Seriously though, somebody should teach the sound techs how to do their job :D

I agree that he wasn't purposefully trying to be rude or not answer what people were asking or just pushing his own agenda - at his age (and apparently, plagued by tinnitus) and as someone more used to the Americanized English than the British one and with the sound system and people's voices being what they were, I don't find it surprising that he didn't fully understand everything that was being asked. And rather than make an ass out of himself by constantly asking for people to re- and re-repeat themselves, he did what people tend to do when they are embarrassed about not having fully understood - he took what he HAD understood and ran with it, hoping to hit the right answers in the process of talking at length about related stuff. All very human - and I, for one, found it endearing because .. well, it makes him so human too *chuckles*

• Moderators

Yes, it's not always down to the sound system, but mainly the wide range of accents. It happens when people meet the guests at the signing desks too.

He certainly handled it very well though :D