Prom Queen/Princesses

talie

I dunno if this is feesable or if SM would be up for it, BUT another convention (no names :thumbup:) do this thing where they nominated people on the forums for Prom queen and then at the event they were introduced on stage at the party, then at the actual party there was a box you could vote in when the finalists had been nominated etc... and then the winner won a dance with one of the guests.... and there were runner up prizes.

Might be a wee bit too competative, but i thought it'd be awesome for the volturi ball and encourage people to proper go in for the costumes!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno if this is feesable or if SM would be up for it, BUT another convention (no names :thumbup:) do this thing where they nominated people on the forums for Prom queen and then at the event they were introduced on stage at the party, then at the actual party there was a box you could vote in when the finalists had been nominated etc... and then the winner won a dance with one of the guests.... and there were runner up prizes.

Might be a wee bit too competative, but i thought it'd be awesome for the volturi ball and encourage people to proper go in for the costumes!

AGREED x100000000000000

A-bloody-mazingggggg idea ;)

I think it's an awesome idea actually...as long as there are people on hand to restrain the bitchy girls to stop it getting ugly :thumbup:

Aye lmao

It'd work like say publicly (or privatly - but public shows there's no chance of a fix) then the top ten nominated girls become the finalists.....

and like u just said on MSN the two/three princesses w.e could get a free guest encounter/photoshoot

edit: If it would take up too much time for the crew or W/E I know I wouldn't mind organising it or having a bunch of people doing it, if SM just provided prizes and that

Edited by Crépuscule

It's a good idea in theory, though if you're not well-known on the forum you might not even get nominated. I know it's a bit PC and let's-include-everyone, but it might upset people.

Not trying to shoot the idea down, of course! Just wondering if there's a way of doing the nominations somehow so that people can get nominated in the first stage without knowing loads of people on here. :thumbup:

It's a good idea in theory, though if you're not well-known on the forum you might not even get nominated. I know it's a bit PC and let's-include-everyone, but it might upset people.

Not trying to shoot the idea down, of course! Just wondering if there's a way of doing the nominations somehow so that people can get nominated in the first stage without knowing loads of people on here. :thumbup:

Aye I know that's the only thing I thought might prevent it, BUT seen's as we KNOW there's gonna be a ET5 and 6 and seemingly Mark and Jason always try and get people to join the forums, it could be an incentive to use them?

I like this idea!

If say, SM crew chose 10 people then gave them numbers when they got on the stage... and then people just had to vote for a number it might work.

Just coz people know you from the forum, they might not know what you look like....?!?

• Moderators

A fun idea, but yes I would have to fall on the side of it being overly competitive and excluding a lot of people.

We have had forum awards etc in the past which sadly turned quite nasty and unnecessary, so I do personally know that it can take a bad turn.

I'd like to think it wouldn't end up like that, and maybe there's a way around it, but I'm very cautious about it.

I think its a good idea but surely the nominations should be picked on the day when you have seen everyone dressed up?!

maybe have a judge table on the way in and anyone who wants to register can go there have their picture taken and after say an hour or so close the desk and the poeple on the desk can have a quick look through and decide there 10 favs then get everyone at the party to vote from there......hopefully that makes sense!

Yup

My concerns are the same as David. Would hate for the normal fun atmosphere at the ET cons to be spoilt. I dont know if attendees voting would work for that reason.

The only way I think it could work would be to have a cosplay desk like Ruth runs where people fill in a form to enter, then are judged at some point by SM/Crew to avoid it being a favouritism thing. At LFCC/CMs they have a cosplay competition and people go up on stage. Okay, there it is more involved, all would be needed if it was at the ball was to judge simply on that costume, but this way, only people wishing to participate who had filled in an entry form would be involved. Whether in front of a panel or even just Mark and Jason (bearing in mind the amount of work they already have at cons)

My other worry was that an insanely shy person could be picked and not want to go on stage, which could end in spoiling their weekend.

But that is just my thought, it would require setting up and crew/people to staff it, so would depend on timings.

it does sound fun :P

when i was 15 i went to this teen night club in birmingham and it often had fancy dress nights with a competition.... basically someone that worked for them went around and chose the 10 best costumes (10 boys and 10 girls.... or was it a lower number?) and then they'd go on stage and the one that got the biggest cheer won

when i was 15 i went to this teen night club in birmingham and it often had fancy dress nights with a competition.... basically someone that worked for them went around and chose the 10 best costumes (10 boys and 10 girls.... or was it a lower number?) and then they'd go on stage and the one that got the biggest cheer won

That was exactly wot i was thinking.

Prom king/queen is nothing but a popularity contest. Which would be extremely unfair to alot of people who are new to cons, or go alone or are simply to shy to talk to many people.

I do think tho that a custome contest is a good idea. SM can go around on the night and select 5 people then then people just vote like you said above by cheering the loudest while they are on stage (if that makes sense lol). Much fairer i think, alot of people put alot of hard work into their costumes ( i never seem to have the time or money lol) so would be nice for them to get something back, even if its something small like the odd bits they sell at the auction. :)

Edited by Team Paul

The only way I think it could work would be to have a cosplay desk like Ruth runs where people fill in a form to enter, then are judged at some point by SM/Crew to avoid it being a favouritism thing. At LFCC/CMs they have a cosplay competition and people go up on stage. Okay, there it is more involved, all would be needed if it was at the ball was to judge simply on that costume, but this way, only people wishing to participate who had filled in an entry form would be involved. Whether in front of a panel or even just Mark and Jason (bearing in mind the amount of work they already have at cons)

I like this plan! :D

Well if there's Prom Queen there should be Prom Kings aswell!

You can't forget about us guys! Even if there isn't many of us!

What about us girls who dress as boys. Which catergory would we fall into? Think it would look a bit funny crowning Edward or Jasper as Prom Queen's lol. Also what if the person is not in a ball gown or a suit for example we're in a costume instead which might not necessarily be a dress or suit?

I do like the idea though would be cool.

What about us girls who dress as boys. Which catergory would we fall into? Think it would look a bit funny crowning Edward or Jasper as Prom Queen's lol. Also what if the person is not in a ball gown or a suit for example we're in a costume instead which might not necessarily be a dress or suit?

Well if you cosplayed as Edward, would you want to be in the boy category? Since that's what you're dressed as?

Well if you cosplayed as Edward, would you want to be in the boy category? Since that's what you're dressed as?

Yeah and then it would boost the number of blocks lol

Yeah and then it would boost the number of blocks lol

Lol, i know! With you we might just make it to 5! lol

I like this idea!

If say, SM crew chose 10 people then gave them numbers when they got on the stage... and then people just had to vote for a number it might work.

Just coz people know you from the forum, they might not know what you look like....?!?

Aye that's what i meant about the final ten them going on stage! So then people could vote in a box or whatever? Or like people have suggested there could be a panel. They could answer a couple of questions there could be categories they're marked on like what ruth does with the cosplayers

I'll address a few points in the thread just because it was an idea I came up with....

The fact people who don't use the forums wont get a chance:

This is surely just the same as the FanFiction competitions? They were advertised on the website [like this could be] and then forum users posted their fics? PLUS it's an incentive for people to join the forums like I've previously said, due to the fact we KNOW we have two more conventions coming up, it might make people think Hey that's fun i'll join the forums!!

Someone who is shy could get picked

Simple if someone gets nominated - if done on the boards they could say no i dont wanna enter, if done privately who ever was running the competition would send them a pm/email to say hi you've been nominated, and then they can opt out

Too much work for Showmasters

I have said if they were up for it I wouldn't mind organising it :3 and I'm sure there's plenty of folk who'd be up for helping

Cause bitchiness

EVERYTHING in the twi world causes bitchiness, I get hate mail cus charlie follows me on twitter. lol. If people wanna turn something fun into something bitchy that's their fault and I don't think people would wanna spoil the fun for everyone.

Prom Kings

I didn't know if boys would wanna join in, but if they did then HELL YEAH :D

I will just add this was just an idea, an idea I thought could be fun. SM say how they wanna make things bigger and better but they need their help, save moaning (which I do alot) im trying to think of ideas which could make the event more fun.

Edited by Crépuscule