The films

theoden_of_rohan

Which is your favourite Star Wars movie?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Star Wars movie?

• Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    • Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
    • Episode 4: A New Hope
    • Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
    • Episode 6: Return of the Jedi

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My order of preference goes something like this

1. Star Wars

2. Return of the Jedi

3. Empire Strikes Back

4. Attack of the Clones

5. The Phantom Menace

I must admit I'm a bit of a die-hard towards the original movies and the thought of special editions and archive editions and any general tampering makes me break out in a cold sweat.

I do believe there's a lot to enjoy in the prequels if you give them a chance but they are nowhere near as good as the originals. TPM tends to be flat and boring in places, AOTC tried too hard to be a manga cartoon.

The biggest problem is that I don't care about any of the characters and they lack any kind of emotional resonance.

You may poke fun at the ewoks, but if you're talking about irritating, sickly sweet, over cutesy characters, the prequels have them in abundance!

Kenny

Well as we are order of preferencing.

1. The Phantom Menace - (though I'm sure EPIII will oust this)

2. A New Hope - It's the one that started it after all.

3. Attack of the Clones - There were parts of this that just didn't quite work for me.

4. The Empire Strikes Back - Once great, but get's slower on every viewing.

5. Return of the Jedi - As a climax to the saga it is a major let down, there should have been a greater feeling of threat, and there just wasn't.

I know you have stated that you may not care for any of the characters in the prequels, but I don't feel the same. Having remained spoiler free for the whole of Episode I, I was shocked when I saw Qui-Gon, and then Darth Maul die. I also thought the scene of Anakin slaughtering the Tusken Raiders and Yoda's feelings of sadness at the end of Attack of the Clones were great scenes, you could really epathise with both of them at these moments.

I said nothing of the Ewoks being cutesy or sickly sweet, nor was I poking fun at them, it's just that I personally found them annoying by the fact that this should have been the Wookies instead as the allies of the Rebellion, as was originally conceived. (See EPIII Spoiler post for more on this). And as a replacement they just didn't measure up. At this point the Rebellion should be struggling for their very existence and I just thought the Ewoks were a poor choice by Lucas as allies.

I'd also be interested to find out who you found sickly sweet in Episode I. I'd agree on Anakin and his buddies, Wald and Kitster, (but then they are supposed to be kids and I find that acceptable) the only other possibility is maybe Podracer Ben Quadrinaros but I'm struggling to find any others.

Obi-Wan B)

Well for what its worth here is my order

1.Empire - The darkest and therefore best of the lot

2.Star Wars - New Hope or wahtever you wanna call it, the one that started it all, so therefore needs to be listed high

3.Attack Of The Clones - Took my breath away on first viewing, diminishes with each viewing, but still enjoyable

4.Return Of The Jedi - Wouldn't call it a poor finish, just average, a decent enough film

5.Phantom Menace - Porr title for an average film

Just my opinion, but you know it makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Finally some sort of common sense has just prevailed! TESB is top!!! woo hoo! :lol:

I was a little puzzeled by the results so far ;)

yeah, I know what you're saying. I really can't believe why A New Hope is allmost last. Ah well, guess it's not that big of a deal. They're all pretty cool

when this thread was first started i put ROTJ as my fav film, however after watching all the films again i am swaying more towards Empire, theres just something about this film that i love and as soon as i have finished watching i want to watch it straight away again!!!!

PM, ATOC are enjoyable but poor films. The acting is lazy and it is insulting to even compare them with the originals. The next one will be equally as pants but it will while-a-way a few hours and let the SW geeks wet themselves about droids, fighters, story arcs etc without bothering the rest of us for a bit.

My vote would be Empire.

Edited by Noddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...